• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cabelas Ashbury Saber M700 build

What stock for APO Saber M700?

• Keep CTR with Riser

• Upgrade to Saber Tass

• Upgrade to Luth AR MBA

• Upgrade to LMT 5.56 DMR

• Other

• MDT - Skeleton Carbine Stock

Results are only viewable after voting.
The bolts came in and they fit like a glove!

First i loosly installed the 4 mloks into the Area 419 14" rail with 10-24 x 3/8 screws and loctite. Once i had the rail on the hand guard and all 4 MLoKs in each slot. Use the front most screw (10-32 x 3/8) into the sling stud to align the rail forward and aft.

C894CA30-BD98-49D8-BAF9-4998F30099CB.jpeg

Seems to be pretty sold without drilling any holes toward the rear. Time will tell.

439885AB-AF06-4C37-9F7A-7345F6BED878.jpeg

F3AA5CFF-7644-49BF-A06F-1FDEAAD0E2B9.jpeg

@Lowlight

Last edited:
Here are what the two different screws i ordered look like with a 45 Auto for scale:

D3425F10-A189-4D0C-898B-02E250A36488.jpeg

The cap head screws i found at my local hardware store all sat just above the rail. They would have prevented the arca clamp from sliding. You could probably grind a bit off of those and still have enough depth to grab the hex to tighten if you are in a bind.

The low profile ones sit quite a bit below the rail or order boxes of 25 for a couple scews.

F5DDDA8F-B0FA-48AF-A1CA-35C8C83BEE5F.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you know if the handguard is proprietary or can you buy aftermarkets? I saw another rifle this weekend with a carbon fiber handguard that looked identical.

Do you know if the handguard is proprietary or can you buy aftermarkets? I saw another rifle this weekend with a carbon fiber handguard that looked identical.

It's proprietary but modular for the chasis from Ashbury, they have a few options that can be swapped out. Also to note those little screws on the hex portion of it don't really do much the handguard seems to be press-fit onto the piece that attaches to the main chasis body. I couldn't separate them apart using moderate force.

Last edited:
It's proprietary but modular for the chasis from Ashbury, they have a few options that can be swapped out. Also to note those little screws on the hex portion of it don't really do much the handguard seems to be press-fit onto the piece that attaches to the main chasis body. I couldn't separate them apart using moderate force.
Im talking just the front AR style mlock handguard held on by those 4 small hex screws. I swear ive seen that before.

I recently got a cabela's clearance ashbury precision m700 to try out with either an origin or nucleus. Been running one of the savage's for a while and really like it but besides putting a magpul prs on it haven't done anything with it... This thread is really informational and appreciate you sharing your experiences. It will come in handy as I work on my build as I plan on doing quite a bit more customization on the m700 chassis.

Heres mine out in the wild. On a whim I went out and shot my first match suunday. Also first time shooting the rifle. had to swap out rings 15min before start and zero was a little off. It went bang everytime and that's enough for me.
20190324_085621.jpg

Last edited:
IMAG0740.jpg

Looks like they used some sort of glue for the rail. This is looking in through the mlock hole. The bump is glue pushed in from the screw.

Luth AR came in, looks sweet.

Last edited:
i was messing around with things and found you can reverse the folding mechanism for the stock to fold bolt side. Bolt needs to be partially up with the luth but the right stock may capture the bolt when its down.

Took the new stock and geissele 700 trigger out for some ammo testing range time. The rubber on the stock sucks. I'll either replace it or put a limb saver over it.

This gun loves factory Hornady American gunner 140s. heres one of the better 5rd groups.
Screenshot_20190331-162012_Range Buddy.jpg

Optic and mount mostly, I would like to change out the stock and the trigger also but that won't prevent me from getting out to the range. I'm some place in between the Vortex HD Gen II, Burris XTR III and Sig just put the Tango 6's on sale 1/2 price. I'm not too worried about reticles at the moment since I don't have enough time behind FFP glass to have a preference. I was thinking of just going basic MRAD whatever.

@2aBaCa What size objective lens is on that scope and what height mount did you order? Looks like you could go a tad lower if you wanted to?

Thanks!
Its a 50mm Burris XTR2 5x25 in a warne 1.5". Crazy story. Originally i wanted to put on a American Defense a 20moa, that with the 20moa rail i would have 40moa, burris has 90moa of elevation so i figured zero would be somewhere around 45/45moa so I should be good. boy was I wrong, Put a laser boresight and scope adjustment stopped about 6moa short of center. FML. Day before i was going to go shoot my first match and shoot the rifle for the first time. Thinking maybe the laser was off, ill confirm zero before the match and see. Just in case on my way to the match I stopped at Bass Pro and bought the 0moa Warne, it was the only 34mm they had. Turns out that Burris sets the crosshairs already compensated for a 20moa rail so its really more like 30/60. confirmed i wasnt getting to zero 10 mins before match so I swapped out scope rings and shot my first match not quite zero. It did go bang everytime and no jams.

Planning on getting the burris XTR signature rings to get the max elevation out of the scope and bring it down. I plan on shooting a mile and i need all of it.

Last edited:
Its a 50mm Burris XTR2 5x25 in a warne 1.5". Crazy story. Originally i wanted to put on a American Defense a 20moa, that with the 20moa rail i would have 40moa, burris has 90moa of elevation so i figured zero would be somewhere around 45/45moa so I should be good. boy was I wrong, Put a laser boresight and scope adjustment stopped about 6moa short of center. FML. Day before i was going to go shoot my first match and shoot the rifle for the first time. Thinking maybe the laser was off, ill confirm zero before the match and see. Just in case on my way to the match I stopped at Bass Pro and bought the 0moa Warne, it was the only 34mm they had. Turns out that Burris sets the crosshairs already compensated for a 20moa rail so its really more like 30/60. confirmed i wasnt getting to zero 10 mins before match so I swapped out scope rings and shot my first match not quite zero. It did go bang everytime and no jams.

Planning on getting the burris XTR signature rings to get the max elevation out of the scope and bring it down. I plan on shooting a mile and i need all of it.

Thanks for the info.

I heard from another friend that the following are minimums and recommended, I'm not sure if this is with a 0 MOA rail or 20 MOA or if the measurements are precise enough to matter on either rail.

50mm objective - 1.125" min but 1.25" recommended
56mm objective - 1.4" min and 1.5" recommended

I just snagged a scope with a 50mm objective from another member here so based on the above information I'm going to give a 1.25" mount a try and report back. I may end up a tad higher if there is not room for the caps to clear.

Distance from scope to handguard is exactly .4", without caps. 1.25" rings would most likely be perfect.

Fyi, not really impressed with the MBA3 luth stock. The rubber but pad is hard and sharp edged. I put a limb saver type pad over it but that sort of slides around. Wondering if the MBA1 is any better.

Last edited:
Distance from scope to handguard is exactly .4", without caps. 1.25" rings would most likely be perfect.

Fyi, not really impressed with the MBA3 luth stock. The rubber but pad is hard and sharp edged. I put a limb saver type pad over it but that sort of slides around. Wondering if the MBA1 is any better.

The mba1 doesn’t have a replacement pad offered, it’s just the same hard rubber material you have now on the 3 but a different shape.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
This puts a wrinkle in my plans, I was really considering picking a MBA-3 up until this. The ~$100ish price for the MBA put it in reach with my budget but the stock is on the bottom of my list at the moment I'm not sure any of the more or way more expensive options are going to make it in the budget anytime soon. Are you going to try the Soft 35 Duro pad? They never show the side profile of it but from what I gather it's the same dimensions just softer material but I could not confirm that.

My list is something like this:
  1. Scope used Sig Tango 6 4-24
  2. Scope Mount - I wanted a Spuhr but I'm thinking I may go with a nice set or rings for 1/2 the price or less and have extra for the next items on the list.
  3. Bipod - Atlas but could go Harris to give more funds for lower items.
  4. Trigger - TBD but probably 2 stage
  5. Stock - TBD if budget allows.

I may try it. But $24 though? For a little rubber pad, Wtf? That's 1/3 of what I paid for the whole stock.

Duct tape and some medium density foam?
Lol, I picked up one of these. Ill give it a try before i do anything else. Its super comfortable but has a little wobble. Thinking about it i will try to permanently attach it to the existing plate with some rubber glue. ill make a vid and upload it to YT.

On an urelated note i picked up a box of Hornady 147 ELD match to add to my collection to test.

86F65EB2-A0CC-4840-974C-5F04C425B456.jpeg

It cycled in my action just fine without modifications.

0BF6BA31-F436-4FD8-9D54-B32C3243C616.jpeg

Nearly identical length to the 140 ELD Match.

The good news is now i have something to blame when i cant shoot .5 moa groups. Clearly our rifles are way different. I’m sure my jerk slap anticipated recoil trigger pull is not the cause.

I tried some of those out last weekend. The American gunner 140s actually shot better.

Its not permanently attached but stable. Its better if the stock adjustment is forward enough for the rubber to grab the main tube under the cheek rest.

Hey guys i'm Matt from APO and i saw that you guys were asking about our handguard and it is proprietary to APO. Please check out the PDF bulletin for both SAVAGE and Remington versions of our handguard. If you guy have any questions feel free to hit me up here our give our sales and pro staff team a call 434.296.8600 or email [email protected]

Attachments

• SABER MRCS-AR Rifle Chassis Maintenance Savage SVS-A3 1217_Page_1.jpg
    SABER MRCS-AR Rifle Chassis Maintenance Savage SVS-A3 1217_Page_1.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 73
  • SABER MRCS-AR Rifle Chassis Maintenance Savage SVS-A3 1217_Page_2.jpg
    SABER MRCS-AR Rifle Chassis Maintenance Savage SVS-A3 1217_Page_2.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 79
Yeah like i said I couldn’t get it apart with moderate force. The problem with AR handgards is no standard.

Need pictures with Luth please!

Hey guys i'm Matt from APO and i saw that you guys were asking about our handguard and it is proprietary to APO. Please check out the PDF bulletin for both SAVAGE and Remington versions of our handguard. If you guy have any questions feel free to hit me up here our give our sales and pro staff team a call 434.296.8600 or email [email protected]

Attachments

• SABER MRCS-AR Rifle Chassis Maintenance Savage SVS-A3 1217_Page_1.jpg
    SABER MRCS-AR Rifle Chassis Maintenance Savage SVS-A3 1217_Page_1.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 39
  • SABER MRCS-AR Rifle Chassis Maintenance Savage SVS-A3 1217_Page_2.jpg
    SABER MRCS-AR Rifle Chassis Maintenance Savage SVS-A3 1217_Page_2.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 32

@MADMATZ

So I took off the screws clearly labeled do not loosen or tighten, should I be worried? They came out and went back in ok.

@MADMATZ

So I took off the screws clearly labeled do not loosen or tighten, should I be worried? They came out and went back in ok.

No worries they 5 screws are used for alingment for assembly of our handguard. If do pull the screws out as long as they are not striped the screw can screw back into the hole with some adhesive so they don't back out under recoil.

Funny Note about Magpul Mags,

When the AICS PMAGS first hit the market I went to Magpul in Erie about the AI AE MK3, cause the mags dont' work in AI rifles only in the chassis. The spec is actually pretty all over the place with actions and chassis.

So mags vary you have to deal with it. Can't use a magpul in my AE, which is odd, but shit happens

Funny Note about Magpul Mags,

When the AICS PMAGS first hit the market I went to Magpul in Erie about the AI AE MK3, cause the mags dont' work in AI rifles only in the chassis. The spec is actually pretty all over the place with actions and chassis.

So mags vary you have to deal with it. Can't use a magpul in my AE, which is odd, but shit happens

Sounds like RRS vs. Arca-swiss, we need a standard defined! RRS if you are reading this, how about some mags?

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
That is the stock pad i was wondering about. It can be ordered separately from Luth. The hard rubber is the same just without the sharp edge. which is probably enough to not take issue with it. Limbsaver still feels the best.

To be honest the stock one isnt bad unless your shooting 200 rds in a Tshirt and or recoil sensitive.

Check this out below. A friend brought over his AR with a luth MB1 and let me fit it up. Its a little long and would need some extra screws to secure it properly. It could work.

IMAG0784.jpg

Fyi, @MADMATZ the pad as pictured on APO site does not apear to be the 3 axis but pad as stated in the description. That particular pad is only 1 axis.

Last edited:
I saw these on a Bergera and thought they looked nice. I think I'm going to pick one of these up this week (payday!) and give it a try.

E8C73200-5D2F-49F8-A06B-D558F4436338.jpeg

They say LOP is from 12-15 and if you add the 1.75-2 for the folding bracket by my rough caculations i should be ok to get my 14.25” target with a bit of room to go shorter or longer.

Presumably the only real limit is buffer tube length so if its too long i might be able to find a shorter one. Better be mil spec!

I will call them on Monday to see what they say about the tube.

Last edited:
I saw these on a Bergera and thought they looked nice. I think I'm going to pick one of these up this week (payday!) and give it a try.

View attachment 7060566

They say LOP is from 12-15 and if you add the 1.75-2 for the folding bracket by my rough caculations i should be ok to get my 14.25” target with a bit of room to go shorter or longer.

Presumably the only real limit is buffer tube length so if its too long i might be able to find a shorter one. Better be mil spec!

I will call them on Monday to see what they say about the tube.

XLR sells a shorter tube for use with the XLR folding mechanism. You may find it's a better fit for the Ashbury chassis than the standard AR carbine length tube they ship with their stocks.

Reactions: Weatherby_Eyebrow
Looks like a TacAR or Tacmod stock. I wonder if that's a proprietary tube or something like an A2 rifle or AR pistol tube. When you get one let me know what the outer dimension is.

Looks like a TacAR or Tacmod stock. I wonder if that's a proprietary tube or something like an A2 rifle or AR pistol tube. When you get one let me know what the outer dimension is.

I watched a few video reviews and they confirmed it is a larger proprietary outside dimension but internally still correct for an AR so long as you get the carbine length tube and not the short one. It was done because they use the same tube on all the stocks including the 50 BMG stock and it needed thicker side walls to support the recoil for that.

I'm going to call them and see if I need to buy the extra tube in the shorter configuration (1.7" shorter) for $32 or if they can switch it out for me with the longer one.

Bunch of new stuff came in over the weekend.

XLR Tactical Buttstock with the short buffer tube. XLR was great to work with and more than happy to swap out the standard length carbine tube.

The stock tube was installed with red loctite so it does take a bit to get free. I ended up having a shop with a vice break it free for me.

Spuhr 4006 - still plenty of room to clear the rail with a 50mm objective and AAD caps on a 20MOA base. Seems to be a reasonable height.

I also picked up an Atlas CAL 2 with the Area 419 clamp since the rrs clamp is always out of stock.

2B80F38D-E098-4E22-849C-CD46FACA0BDC.jpeg

Finally got to shoot it today. Im an idiot and didn't have tools to adjust the zero stop so i had to do a hold over. Only shot about 10 rounds. The last 3 are the group below.

Works out to .488 i believe. @MADMATZ !!

Last edited:
Reactions: MADMATZ