• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cabela's/RCBS Supreme Deluxe Reloading Kit

HEMI_Driver

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2010
Kaneohe, Hawaii
I'm about to become a new reloader. I've been reading threads and talking to friends with experience and have been learning a lot even though I haven't purchased my equipment yet. As such... Cabela's has this Cabela's and RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Deluxe Reloading Kit available on thier website. I can't find a better all inclusive deal anywhere. On the outside chance that there IS something better available somewhere else I thought I'd post here before a lay down the plastic.

FWIW, I'll only be reloading 308 for some hunting and target with a focus on accuracy. Along with the kit above I'll probably add the Redding National Match 308 die kit.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Re: Cabela's/RCBS Supreme Deluxe Reloading Kit

I did a lot of research before I bought my kit, you cannot go wrong with this package, it has everything you need to start reloading

A

If I had to start over this would be the first thing I would buy. Get a caliper to go with it and get started.

For dies look into the redding type s full length competition die set.

+1 to what the others have said. I am new to reloading also and that is the same kit that I purchased with no complaints. The Chargemaster and the Case Prep center are definetly worth it. I also purchased the Redding dies. Be prepared to spend some extra though as you will soon find out this is very addicting.
I truley enjoy it. The level of accuracy that can be achieved with ammo you made yourself is very rewarding.

What the hell! For some reason, Cabela's won't ship the kit to Hawaii. Hmmm... guess I'll have to find a work-around.

I went ahead and ordered the following:

Item Unit Price Qty. Shipping Method &
Delivery Date Add'l
Shipping
Charges Item Total

RCBS Competition Full-Length Dies
Item number: 9IS - 212891
Reg: $99.99
Sale: $92.99 1 Standard Express
Estimated delivery by Monday, 08/09/10 None $92.99
CAL/GAUG: 308WIN COMP DIE SET
This item is in stock.

RCBS Shell Holder
Item number: 9IS - 210536
Reg: $7.99
Sale: $6.99 1 Standard Express
Estimated delivery by Monday, 08/09/10 None $6.99
CAL/GAUG: #3
This item is in stock.

RCBS Precision Mic Gauge
Item number: 9IS - 210537
$44.99 1 Standard Express
Estimated delivery by Monday, 08/09/10 None $44.99
CAL/GAUG: .308 WIN
This item is in stock.

RCBS Digital Caliper
Item number: IA - 215269
$64.99 1 Standard Express
Estimated delivery by Monday, 08/09/10 None $64.99
This item is in stock.

Merchandise Total: $209.96

Shipping and Handling Charges: $5.00
Taxes: $0.00

Total: $214.96

Total Amount Due: $214.96

I have a sister that lives in California. I'll probably have the kit sent to her and then she can forward it to me.

Hi Hemi!

If your plans don't go through, try Joe over at WGS (Windward Gun Shop), he's a good guy and may be able to help out with what you might need. He also carries powder, primers and most supplies for reloading.

Let me know if I can help. I'm over in Kailua.

Aloha,

Tom O.

Thanks Tom. My sister is going to help me out. Everything but components is on the way. I will check out WGS though.

+1 the RCBS kit is a great place to start.

My RCBS gear has served me well... all i have added so far is a caliper set, hornady oal and bullet comparitors. Wilson Sinclair case trimmer, plus an ultrasonic cleaner. Oh and imperial sizing wax.

I also have used RCBS die sets with some good results.

I have had this gear get me to shoot 1/2 moa groups out to 400 yards.

Cant go wrong with the RCBS gear imo. Im sure theres better, but this stuff works well for me

Well, everything just fell apart. I got a PM suggesting that I cancel the RCBS dies because they have proven to be inferior quality when compared to Forster or Redding. I called Cabela's to cancel that order and I also inquired on the order going to my sister's house in California containing my kit. They informed me that there was some federal law prohibiting shipment of reloading equipment overseas, even Hawaii. And, now that Cabela's has knowledge that the order was destined to be shipped to Hawaii they were going to cancel the order. And, because my die order was more than 12 hours old they didn't know if they would be able to cancel that one in time so I might have to ship that one back upon receipt.

I guess I'll have to try and put something together here on the island. Man, I miss the mainland.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HEMI Driver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, everything just fell apart. I got a PM suggesting that I cancel the RCBS dies because they have proven to be inferior quality when compared to Forster or Redding. I called Cabela's to cancel that order and I also inquired on the order going to my sister's house in California containing my kit. They informed me that there was some federal law prohibiting shipment of reloading equipment overseas, even Hawaii. And, now that Cabela's has knowledge that the order was destined to be shipped to Hawaii they were going to cancel the order. And, because my die order was more than 12 hours old they didn't know if they would be able to cancel that one in time so I might have to ship that one back upon receipt.

I guess I'll have to try and put something together here on the island. Man, I miss the mainland. </div></div>

I don't know who PM'd you, saying RCBS is inferior quality, IMO he/she/it is FOS. I have Redding, Forster, and RCBS, and I (as well as MANY others on this forum) have loaded thousands of rounds with RCBS without a single problem. Customer service is off the hook.

My RCBS setup is pretty much identical to the set you ordered + their comp die sets. No probs at all. You can also tune that Chargemaster to really kick out the powder. With that hand trimmer I put it in my vise, and unscrew the handle, then hook it up to the Makita. Between that and the case prep center, it is not as fast as a Giraud, but has reliably got the job done for me till I can pick one up.

Take all this for what it's worth, just my 0.02.

+1 on the Cabela Kit. You will love the ChargeMaster Combo.

Thanks for the info. Everything is on hold now due to this shipping issue. I'll check out some local gun shops and see what I can put together.

Its actually a good thing that I did get that PM because it prompted me to call Cabela's. I wouldn't want my sister to run into issues at the post office!
blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heavy Haulin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HEMI Driver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, everything just fell apart. I got a PM suggesting that I cancel the RCBS dies because they have proven to be inferior quality when compared to Forster or Redding. I called Cabela's to cancel that order and I also inquired on the order going to my sister's house in California containing my kit. They informed me that there was some federal law prohibiting shipment of reloading equipment overseas, even Hawaii. And, now that Cabela's has knowledge that the order was destined to be shipped to Hawaii they were going to cancel the order. And, because my die order was more than 12 hours old they didn't know if they would be able to cancel that one in time so I might have to ship that one back upon receipt.

I guess I'll have to try and put something together here on the island. Man, I miss the mainland. </div></div>

I don't know who PM'd you, saying RCBS is inferior quality, IMO he/she/it is FOS. I have Redding, Forster, and RCBS, and I (as well as MANY others on this forum) have loaded thousands of rounds with RCBS without a single problem. Customer service is off the hook.

My RCBS setup is pretty much identical to the set you ordered + their comp die sets. No probs at all. You can also tune that Chargemaster to really kick out the powder. With that hand trimmer I put it in my vise, and unscrew the handle, then hook it up to the Makita. Between that and the case prep center, it is not as fast as a Giraud, but has reliably got the job done for me till I can pick one up.

Take all this for what it's worth, just my 0.02. </div></div>

RCBS equipment has proven to be one of the best I have worked with....my family has used RCBS for over 30 years and 1,000's of rounds...and abused all of are equipment....and like a timex it's still ticking.......

And anytime we had to deal with a broken part or warranty issue customer service was great....no problems very straight forward....

and if they did'nt cover it it usually was not very much to fix and ship.....

....you can buy RCBS with confidence.........
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HEMI Driver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, everything just fell apart. I got a PM suggesting that I cancel the RCBS dies because they have proven to be inferior quality when compared to Forster or Redding. I called Cabela's to cancel that order and I also inquired on the order going to my sister's house in California containing my kit. They informed me that there was some federal law prohibiting shipment of reloading equipment overseas, even Hawaii. And, now that Cabela's has knowledge that the order was destined to be shipped to Hawaii they were going to cancel the order. And, because my die order was more than 12 hours old they didn't know if they would be able to cancel that one in time so I might have to ship that one back upon receipt.

Is this some kind of brand new law? Because im been ordering reloading components from Sinclairs for a while now

As far as I can tell... Cabela's has a policy against sending reloading equipment to "international" locations. Apparently Hawaii is an "international" location in their book. While I applaud Cabela's and their effort to keep potentially dangerous equipment out of the hands of those who might have bad intentions I am bothered that they qualify Hawaii as "international". I'm pretty sure there are 50 stars on the flag and I'm also pretty sure that the state of Hawaii is represented by the 50th!

I haven't found any laws prohibiting the shipping of this package to Hawaii.

I might try again and list the order as a gift and send it to my sister in California. I'm not sure if they've flagged my account or not but I guess its worth a try. I can't find a bundle as inclusive or as econimical anywhere else and that is the part that really irks me. Its a great package and I WANT IT!

they are just mad that you live in Hawaii and they have to be in Nebraska
grin.gif