• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the Nightforce of single stage reloading presses ?

264win

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2008
    whidbey island wa.
    I’m a longtime reloader. Usually around 2k rifle rounds per year. I’ve been wanting to upgrade my press from my current rcbs rock chucker supreme but don’t see much improvement until getting into the 1300-1400$ range for something like an area 419.
    I’ve used Lee, Hornady, Rcbs and Redding. I’m not particularly impressed with any of them though they all get the job done.

Is there a middle ground, or do I need to just go be poor somewhere else and sell a kidney for the 419?

I’m a longtime reloader... do I need to just go be poor somewhere else and sell a kidney for the 419?
    IMHO if there is a Consenus for "can't go wrong" single stage presses are either TEAM GREEN (RCBS rock chucker) or TEAM RED (Forster CoAx). You can also add TEAM BLUE (DILLON), although the "can't go wrong" part here is more complicated.

Reactions: 264win
    Either stick with what you have or spend the coin on the Area 419.
    I've tried a few different presses and never been overly impressed with any of them. My old RCBS does the trick just the same or better than anything else.

I do the majority of brass prep on a Dillon and seat on an RCBS

Still use a Rock Chucker. I know others have more features, churn out rounds faster, and are probably made better. I just haven't found a situation where I've found my press to be my limiting factor (quality).

Good options exist however to make ammo faster these days, but it'll cost you.

Some guys are reporting good results with Dillon progressives, but I have zero time behind one making rifle ammo.

Besides draining your bank account what do you expect the higher priced press to achieve that you aren't getting in the RCS? For most cartridges I doubt you will see much if any difference. If you load 416 Barrett or 50 BMG.

Reactions: RLinNH
    It’s definitely not the nf because hardly anyone has even heard of them but I’m a big fan of the harrels combo press for short action cartridges. https://www.6mmbr.com/harrellscombopress.html but it looks like they don’t make them anymore so you’ll have to find a used one.

The coax is significantly better than the rock chuck but I find myself using the Harrell more often. I just like seating with arbor presses and LE Wilson or similar hand dies. And the combo doesn’t take up much space in the cabin or camper.

The Harrells is one I had been looking at, but haven’t had the chance to try out yet.
    At least 90% of my reloading is short action so that may be a good option

Reactions: taliv
    Besides draining your bank account what do you expect the higher priced press to achieve that you aren't getting in the RCS? For most cartridges I doubt you will see much if any difference. If you load 416 Barrett or 50 BMG.
    Loading with my RCBS kinda feels like using an F350 for inner city commuting. Sure it works, but it’s not the most convenient.

I bought a Forster because I found a deal in the PX on a barely used model. I have heard nothing but good things about the Rock Chucker.

I have a nightforce reloading press. 😀

B4A399E3-A969-4029-9423-239A9125761A.png

I've used Hornady, Lee, Dillon, RCBS, and MEC. For concentricity I've found the MEC to be the standout across the board. I still have the others for very specific steps or if I just need to pull a bullet or something like that. Anything I do for a precision rifle gets done on the MEC marksman. I'd love to try a Co-ax and someday I'll be rich enough to have the ZERO press. Until then though, the MEC is making some real small groups!

I have a Redding Big Boss II. I’m not a highly experienced reloader…just a few years and I’m not a match shooter so not huge volume.

Is there any advantage of the RCBS Rick Chucker over the BB II?

I ask because there are a lot of recs for the RCBS press above and the two of them look very similar?

If I ever upgrade though, it will be to the 419 Zero. I have owned a Spolar for shotshell for almost 30 years. I do like very well made machinery when I can afford it and the Zero seems to be its equiv for metallic.

I have a Redding T7 , RCBS Rockchucker, and MEC Marksman set up side by side on of my benches . The T7 gets the most use because it has multiple stations , the RCBS has served me well for many years with no problems . The MEC is the latest purchase and It is just as strong and smooth as the others . Any of those three should serve you well .

Reactions: Makinchips208
    It’s definitely not the nf because hardly anyone has even heard of them but I’m a big fan of the harrels combo press for short action cartridges. https://www.6mmbr.com/harrellscombopress.html but it looks like they don’t make them anymore so you’ll have to find a used one.

The coax is significantly better than the rock chuck but I find myself using the Harrell more often. I just like seating with arbor presses and LE Wilson or similar hand dies. And the combo doesn’t take up much space in the cabin or camper.
    I wish a single day went by that I didn’t learn about something I need to buy. That looks so interesting.

Reactions: Sammy48 and taliv
    Overhead handles .....no thanks .

MEC or Lyman for me.

The coax is significantly better than the rock chuck but I find myself using the Harrell more often.
    What makes the coax "significantly" better in your opinion ? Did you do a side by side test between the coax and the chucker ?

Last edited:
    Friend has a co-ax. It’s pretty awesome and he’s cranked out some really good ammo with it.
    I’ll keep slumming my Rock Chucker for single stage. Next time I load up 1,200 or so pistol shells, I’m buying a Dillon beforehand….

I have the co-ax, rock chucker, rebel and Lyman orange crusher.
    I wanna try the mec marksman but I have to many presses now.
    If could only have one press, I’d probably pick the rebel or rock chucker and just get high end dies. With my forester and Redding dies I can put out just as good ammo on my rock chucker as I can on the co ax.

I have loaded many 100s of thousands of rounds. I cannot tell a difference, on steel or on paper, between the rounds loaded on my Lee, RCBS, Hornady, or Dillon presses (using the progressives as singles).

There is nothing wrong with your Rockchucker. Stick with that.

I have a rock chucker and a forester co-ax. They’re both great presses, but I use the co-ax because I don’t have to jack around with shell holders.

Reactions: ma smith
    What makes the coax "significantly" better in your opinion ? Did you do a side by side test between the coax and the chucker ?
    Long list of features, but the top ones are that the dies are super easy to snap in and out. It’s not a big deal when you’re making 300 rounds for a match and you size 300 then seat 300 etc.
    but when you’re working up loads or just want to make small batches at a time 3-5 rounds to check pressure or something you’ll appreciate not having to screw 300 turns on each die in and out.

I think the mechanical advantage and ergonomics are a lot better too but others don’t and I guess it depends on how high your bench and stool etc are.

Built in primer seater is cool too but only useful for low volume stuff. I prime short action on a different tool but use the coax primer for 300nm

The rock chuck is good and you can make good ammo on it as long as you get one that’s aligned perfectly. If there’s run out, not much you can do about it. It’s way overbuilt if that matters to you. There is prob more deflection in the coax but it won’t matter because the dies and case head float

Reactions: Schütze and Haney
    Personally, I have used the Rockchucker and use a Lyman Turret T-Mag II because I only have space for one press and I load pistol so I can size and flare the mouth at the same stage. When I compare my runout with others using the COAX they probably get +/- 0.0005 less runout. That's on cartridges up to 308 and 30-06. I don't expect a turret press to ever match a single stage in that arena. If I were to "up grade" I would choose the COAX over the 419 because from an engineering standpoint the COAX is simpler and less likely to have issues with concentricity. All of which brings us to the point of what do we value most in a press?

I should also add that I put the Hornady bushing adapter in my MEC marksman and it makes it so quick and simple to use. I've had phenomenal luck using the lock-n-load bushings for both repeatability and concentricity. I love them. Just my $0.02!

Long list of features, but the top ones are that the dies are super easy to snap in and out. It’s not a big deal when you’re making 300 rounds for a match and you size 300 then seat 300 etc.
    but when you’re working up loads or just want to make small batches at a time 3-5 rounds to check pressure or something you’ll appreciate not having to screw 300 turns on each die in and out.

I think the mechanical advantage and ergonomics are a lot better too but others don’t and I guess it depends on how high your bench and stool etc are.

Built in primer seater is cool too but only useful for low volume stuff. I prime short action on a different tool but use the coax primer for 300nm

The rock chuck is good and you can make good ammo on it as long as you get one that’s aligned perfectly. If there’s run out, not much you can do about it. It’s way overbuilt if that matters to you. There is prob more deflection in the coax but it won’t matter because the dies and case head float
    You bring up some good points . I like the floating shellholder on my MEC . I have loaded with my Rockchucker for many years with no run out issues . Maybe I got lucky with mine ? Thanks for your input .

You bring up some good points . I like the floating shellholder on my MEC . I have loaded with my Rockchucker for many years with no run out issues . Maybe I got lucky with mine ? Thanks for your input .
    Out of curiosity how many cartridges do you reload on your rockchucke? And how many shell holders do you have?

I have a Redding Big Boss II. I’m not a highly experienced reloader…just a few years and I’m not a match shooter so not huge volume.

I ask because there are a lot of recs for the RCBS press above and the two of them look very similar?

If I ever upgrade though, it will be to the 419 Zero. I have owned a Spolar for shotshell for almost 30 years. I do like very well made machinery when I can afford it and the Zero seems to be its equiv for metallic.

Man, we just recommend the RCBS because it seldom lets anyone down. Not as fast, not as pretty, but boringly capable of churning out accurate ammo.

Unless time is a factor, it's really hard to shit on your own press enough to buy a new one when you're having success, small groups, and wide smiles. I'd suspect most Redding guys feel the same way.

Reactions: Baron23
    Out of curiosity how many cartridges do you reload on your rockchucke? And how many shell holders do you have?
    I do at least 15 , from 38 special up to 30-06 on that rig . I have at least 3 shell holders for each round so I have at one at each press on that bench .

Been running a BB 2 for a few years now. No complaints... It smashes shit together in a way that is meaningful to me.

Mike

• Haha
    Reactions: Baron23
    I like my Mec Marksman and Hornady Lock N Load bushing setup. At least 30k rounds loaded and still very smooth and consistently great ammo quality.
    PXL_20231215_042309807.jpg

I do at least 15 , from 38 special up to 30-06 on that rig . I have at least 3 shell holders for each round so I have at one at each press on that bench .
    So you might find that another advantage of the coax. The factory standard shell plates would handle all those and if you needed to do smaller or larger cartridges the other shell plate is $45. I mean $8 for a shell holder isn’t the end of the world but when you buy 15 of them it adds up. If you include them in the price of the presses it’s like $310 vs $340