• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cali says don't charge your car

Actually, it's "the experience." Electric cars are just too new. As a veteran IT person, I've learned that it's often not the best thing to be on the "bleeding edge" of technology. Most of the firms I worked on never jumped immediately to the most recent version of "Windows" for example, but would wait until it stabilized and the bugs got worked out. Often that meant there were 1-2 major versions behind the latest release. But at least the work environment was stable.

While some Electric cars may do the things mentioned here that I seek, I want to wait and ensure myself that they're done consistently over time, before I commit to it. I'm not saying I'll never commit to one, but it may take some time and some history.

Its been around for over a decade.
The earlier models compensated the earlier adopters with perks like free lifetime supercharging.

Just say range anxiety and recharging speed is the issue if you just need to find a reason.

Actually, it's "the experience." Electric cars are just too new. As a veteran IT person, I've learned that it's often not the best thing to be on the "bleeding edge" of technology. Most of the firms I worked on never jumped immediately to the most recent version of "Windows" for example, but would wait until it stabilized and the bugs got worked out. Often that meant there were 1-2 major versions behind the latest release. But at least the work environment was stable.

While some Electric cars may do the things mentioned here that I seek, I want to wait and ensure myself that they're done consistently over time, before I commit to it. I'm not saying I'll never commit to one, but it may take some time and some history.
Please don’t tell me you drive an early 2000s anything because iTs PrOveN then just said you didn’t want an electric car because you were worried about “acceleration”.

that’s like saying you currently have dial up, but don’t want fios because you are worried about download/upload speeds.

Please tell us are you still running windows 98 on a 56k modem.

Reactions: Drew890

Your IT knowledge is not transferable to electric power train engineering.

Reactions: Drew890
Then you haven’t been paying attention. Tesla’s are some of the fastest cars off the line that you can buy. Instant torque. No such thing as a torque “curve” with them. It’s a horizontal line.

drag race at 1:56

So is it gonna pull a 5th wheel amd all that weight....

No, no its not..

Doc

actually, that is the only reason i would get an electric car or bike. instant power.
new tesla is 0-60 in 1.9 seconds.
And then you have to charge your car up again🤣🤣🤣😘😘

Doc

No, no its not..

Doc
Like I said I’m not a EV proponent. I was just ragging on one ignorant person who said that electric was slow.

the 2 one tons in my driveway aren’t getting replaced by EV any time soon.

Reactions: Doc68
Please don’t tell me you drive an early 2000s anything because iTs PrOveN then just said you didn’t want an electric car because you were worried about “acceleration”.

that’s like saying you currently have dial up, but don’t want fios because you are worried about download/upload speeds.

Please tell us are you still running windows 98 on a 56k modem.

My main Desktop and one of my laptops is Windows 7 Ultimate. My other laptop is Windows 10 because it's often required by my clients. And, yes, I did have FiOS for several years but I determined it wasn't necessary and more expensive. I have Internet service from my cable provider now that's subsidized by my HOA. That said, yes, I have no Wifi in the house, because being "wired only" is better for performance, more secure and, again, it's often required by my clients.

And, up until last year, I drove a 2006 Toyota 4-Runner V-8. I sold it for financial reasons. I found I wasn't driving as much as I used to and i didn't want to have to pay for the insurance/fuel/maintenance, etc.. But there was this new thing....... Lyft. I found I could get all I needed done with that (and the occasional rented car. We'll see which strategy is more economical in the next year or two.

Fair enough?

Like I said I’m not a EV proponent. I was just ragging on one ignorant person who said that electric was slow.

the 2 one tons in my driveway aren’t getting replaced by EV any time soon.

So, someone is "ignorant" simply for not believing in / agreeing with what you believe/say? EV's may very well be all those things you say. Just give me the chance to verify it for myself. I will. I promise!

Your IT knowledge is not transferable to electric power train engineering.

Not "directly," necessarily. But any (relatively) new technology takes time to be proven. Gas powered vehicles have had almost a century of human usage, bugs, fixes, and has been proven trustworthy at this point. Yes, as some have said, EV's have been in existence for 10+ years. Not enough time. And not enough history of human usage and discovery of "issues." I'll keep watching the industry over time. And, over time, I'll grow more comfortable... I swear.

Reactions: BLEE
Not "directly," necessarily. But any (relatively) new technology takes time to be proven. Gas powered vehicles have had almost a century of human usage, bugs, fixes, and has been proven trustworthy at this point. Yes, as some have said, EV's have been in existence for 10+ years. Not enough time. And not enough history of human usage and discovery of "issues." I'll keep watching the industry over time. And, over time, I'll grow more comfortable... I swear.

You sure about gas engines being proven trustworthy after a century? It's not like they've kept the original design and perfected it. Plenty of newer models that aren't what I consider reliable.

Reactions: Jscb1b

No, no its not..

Doc
Um...the electric F150 has 10,000 lb towing capacity...not enough? (I honestly don't know what a 5th wheel trailer weighs...)

Um...the electric F150 has 10,000 lb towing capacity...not enough? (I honestly don't know what a 5th wheel trailer weighs...)
They vary I'm size, I had one that was 17k pounds. The electric class 8 trucks are in development and on the road already. They will eventually have more electric trucks.

You sure about gas engines being proven trustworthy after a century? It's not like they've kept the original design and perfected it. Plenty of newer models that aren't what I consider reliable.

Quite true. Just as Windows has evolved over time and each new release brings its own issues that have to be resolved. Which is why I said, earlier, that my companies would always stay 1-2 releases behind he most current one. I mean, "beta testing" is good, but it's nothing compared to actual human usage in re: finding bugs and fixing them. I think gas powered vehicles, in general, are more trustworthy at this point (new "bleeding edge" engines, etc. not withstanding) than EVs. It will take some more time and human usage/expereince to get there with EVs. But I will keep watching.

I can't see electric vehicles being any worse than this shit

qzluvlolghztvktp1ljl.jpg

The degree of reliability is much greater today. I remember when I was in vo-tech in the early 70's, one guy was into British cars. The owner's manual for one of them specified to "de-coke" the cylinder head after 30K miles. Imagine having to take your car to have the cylinder head removed every 2-3 years? I was heavy in VW's at the time, and it was well-known that you had to replace the #3 cylinder exhaust valve after 75K miles, as that cylinder ran hot due to the location of the oil cooler. Nowadays I think anything less than 200K reliably out of a motor with no internal work would be deemed "unreliable". That's not to say everything attached to it may fail, but the motors themselves are far superior these days.

10+ years? Try 126 years. As in 9 years after the first gas car. I will give you that electric cars haven't had the same development as gas.

I am not a fan of electric cars.

10+ years? Try 126 years. As in 9 years after the first gas car. I will give you that electric cars haven't had the same development as gas.

And, that's the point. It's all about the development. And the history of human usage/interaction in the real world.

And, that's the point. It's all about the development. And the history of human usage/interaction in the real world.
Develop all you want and you won't make up for energy density disparities.

Lithium ion batteries get 100-265watt hours/kg. Converted that's 0.36-0.954 megajoules/kg.
log_scale_2x.png

until you get a battery that can charge fully in under 10 minutes and has a range of 500 plus miles in all temp ranges then forget it

Reactions: striped1
I mean.... Im still pissed off my 2010 doesn't have a tranny dip stick. Tesla has had quite a few lets say "quality issues" , and why dont they have a door handle in the back seat? Seems like a safety issue in case of a crash. Or why do they need to "pop" out? sooooo if your battery dies you just stand out in the sun like an asshole, open you app and wait for Tesla tech to come by and let you into your car? :ROFLMAO: Seems like lots of answers to questions no one asked. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
Ok, it can pull 10k. How much range will it have pulling that load? Plus I have a 45' 5th wheel. Minimum weight is 14k loaded is over 16k.

They talk about range and such with nothing in the vehicle. Now load one for. For a trip and let me know the range on it then.

Doc

Like I said, I have no idea how much a 5th wheel weighs. And I'm sure the range will drop drastically when towing near the maximum. But I found this pretty cool:
"Ford also engineered the F-150 Lightning to serve as a backup generator and says a fully-charged truck can supply up to three days of electricity for the average household in the event of a power outage."

Like I said, I have no idea how much a 5th wheel weighs. And I'm sure the range will drop drastically when towing near the maximum. But I found this pretty cool:
"Ford also engineered the F-150 Lightning to serve as a backup generator and says a fully-charged truck can supply up to three days of electricity for the average household in the event of a power outage."
But then you cant drive anywhere.

All these states having issues with their power grids these days CA telling them not to charge their cars. Where does that leave everyone...

Doc

that's actually pretty cool

All these states having issues with their power grids these days CA telling them not to charge their cars. Where does that leave everyone...

Doc
If the outage is widespread, where are you going to go? And what for?

Doc
exactly

it's a serious issue and a major drawback. there is no other way to look at it and try as some may, speaks to the bigger picture

It’s is pretty cool, but what’s not cool is silly things like going into park if you open the door while In drive. I don’t need to look out the door very often when maneuvering but I do it on occasion and don’t want the gotdamn truck to tell me I can’t. 🤷 👴🏻

The degree of reliability is much greater today. I remember when I was in vo-tech in the early 70's, one guy was into British cars. The owner's manual for one of them specified to "de-coke" the cylinder head after 30K miles. Imagine having to take your car to have the cylinder head removed every 2-3 years? I was heavy in VW's at the time, and it was well-known that you had to replace the #3 cylinder exhaust valve after 75K miles, as that cylinder ran hot due to the location of the oil cooler. Nowadays I think anything less than 200K reliably out of a motor with no internal work would be deemed "unreliable". That's not to say everything attached to it may fail, but the motors themselves are far superior these days.
Sadly we've gone back to that "de-coke" process somewhat because Direct Injection, at least early DI like on my VW. One has to remove the manifold and clean them. Recommended every 60K, but I notice a performance dip in about 30k. One could put a catch can (off PCV) to catch the crap; but the typical owner doesn't know about this and likely doesn't care since people seem to trade cars in quite regularly.

Reactions: Bradu
I remember a talk I had with a just out of college kid, he was like I’ll get a tesla and a dinner table sized solar panel and charge.
I was like, uhh, well I have a very nice LG neo panel setup on my boat, Victron and battle born batteries and I can just run ship nav systems, refrig, lights, and I’ll break even, but kick on a AC and I’m writing power checks my system can’t cash.

And you’re going to charge your tesla massive battery from your fold and go charger?

Last edited:
Reactions: BLEE
Sadly we've gone back to that "de-coke" process somewhat because Direct Injection, at least early DI like on my VW. One has to remove the manifold and clean them. Recommended every 60K, but I notice a performance dip in about 30k. One could put a catch can (off PCV) to catch the crap; but the typical owner doesn't know about this and likely doesn't care since people seem to trade cars in quite regularly.

There is a lot of shit people don't understand because they trade often. Start talking about diesels and aftertreatment systems, there is another can of worms people don't get.

But hey, that's century old technology since we are talking about IC engines😂😂😂

Ok, it can pull 10k. How much range will it have pulling that load? Plus I have a 45' 5th wheel. Minimum weight is 14k loaded is over 16k.

They talk about range and such with nothing in the vehicle. Now load one for. For a trip and let me know the range on it then.

Doc
TFL car did a good video on YouTube with this. It was the Tesla suv thing, towing a pretty damn small camper, like less that 3k# I think. They did an pretty average road trip. It didn’t go well. Struggled to find chargers, some were barely even close enough to make it, had to spend the night places to get charged. What should have been a day trip was like a 3 day ordeal and they barely made it.

edit video to add

Last edited:
My main Desktop and one of my laptops is Windows 7 Ultimate. My other laptop is Windows 10 because it's often required by my clients. And, yes, I did have FiOS for several years but I determined it wasn't necessary and more expensive. I have Internet service from my cable provider now that's subsidized by my HOA. That said, yes, I have no Wifi in the house, because being "wired only" is better for performance, more secure and, again, it's often required by my clients.

And, up until last year, I drove a 2006 Toyota 4-Runner V-8. I sold it for financial reasons. I found I wasn't driving as much as I used to and i didn't want to have to pay for the insurance/fuel/maintenance, etc.. But there was this new thing....... Lyft. I found I could get all I needed done with that (and the occasional rented car. We'll see which strategy is more economical in the next year or two.

Fair enough?
So you Lyft every time you want to bring your precision rifle to the range along with all of your things. Got it.
So, someone is "ignorant" simply for not believing in / agreeing with what you believe/say? EV's may very well be all those things you say. Just give me the chance to verify it for myself. I will. I promise!
ig·no·rant
- lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about a particular thing.

Yes ignorant is the correct word.
Why do you keep using this word. Are dogs using ICE and electric motors without my knowledge? You sound like a robot/alien living among the human race.

So you Lyft every time you want to bring your precision rifle to the range along with all of your things. Got it.
No, in the case of going to the range, I'd rent a car for a day. Lyft rules prohibit the transportation of firearms by either rider or driver.

What do you do with your sidearm? Hold it out the window?

Do you just go naked around town?

It will be a very long time, if ever, before EV's replace all transportation options that ICE vehicles provide. Modern EV’s do not replace the long haul, overland transportation performance and reliability of ICE.

It is hard to argue that EV's do not surpass ICE vehicles in performance for select uses.
In the realm of local commute, speed, maintenance, and $/mile EV’s are a clear front runner.

For some the EV issue is an ideological issue not grounded in reality. It will never be good enough to simply be happy that an American company is opening American factories, employing American workers, with American technology and again America is leading a technological advancement in this world.

Reactions: Fx51LP308
Ok.
I recant my manbun accusations.

In my area you would be broke in a month if using Lyft to get through life.

The downtown lifestyle completely eludes me not that I have much but can do as I please 24 / 7 on a whim.

Today I have fence line to clear and it's hot my back hurts and eating up range time.

So if you think that at 62 years old that's not how you want to spend your day, I get that. Lol

If the outage is widespread, where are you going to go? And what for?
Because I'm a fucking american and can go shoot, camping, go see relatives where there isnt an outage, go to a friends house to help him drink his beers before they get warm or even drive around....let me see you do that with your electric car.

Doc

Reactions: Charger442