• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Caliber and bullet choice for gemsbok

Jmilera

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
I have. 308 norma magnum in a win action and 26 inch barrel. In 1-10 twist. I have swift 180 grain a frames , 200 gain accubond, 180 barnes ttsx. Which would you pick to get clean kills and maximum energy delivery into the vitals and possible pass through?
Thanks Gents

Re: Caliber and bullet choice for gemsbok

Though I have never hunted such a beast, any one of the bullets you mention should do fine on an animal of that size (providing you do your part). That said I'd shoot whichever one is most accurate in your rifle. Good luck.

Bullet placement and bullet choice is key on these animals. I have been fortunate enough to shoot a few in Namibia and they are hearty animals. That said, a good shoulder shot into the vitals will ensure a swift kill. I have shot them with 30-06 and 375 H&H, both worked well, neither better than the other. Your .308 Norma will do the trick. I personally like the TSX round from Barnes. They have always performed well for me during hunts between here and Africa.

Good luck with the hunt.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

Those are all tough bullets, whichever shoots the best. We'll be using 168 Bergers.

All of the bullets you list will do the job given proper placement. As others have already stated use what shoots best in your rifle you will be fine. When I went to Africa the PH refused to guide us because of our bullet choice. It was a blessing in disguise actually.

I took upwards of 15 gemsbok during my time there. They are very hardy animals and one of my favorites to hunt. As stated I would recommend shoulder shots as well it breaks them down quick. Had other hunters in camp shooting behind the shoulder shots and they were doing a lot of tracking. Wishing you a great hunt and hope this helps!!!

Aloha!

Not only do shoulder shots break them down, their vitals are forward. Alot of times, typical behind the shoulder shots will be too far back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 808Huntress</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of the bullets you list will do the job given proper placement. As others have already stated use what shoots best in your rifle you will be fine. When I went to Africa the PH refused to guide us because of our bullet choice. It was a blessing in disguise actually.

I took upwards of 15 gemsbok during my time there. They are very hardy animals and one of my favorites to hunt. As stated I would recommend shoulder shots as well it breaks them down quick. Had other hunters in camp shooting behind the shoulder shots and they were doing a lot of tracking. Wishing you a great hunt and hope this helps!!!

Aloha! </div></div>

Just curious but what was your initial bullet choice?

My gun: Rem 700, MLR, Manners stock, FTE brake...lite 338LM huntin' rifle.

One shot and this young bull dropped like a rock!

100_0325.jpg

Sir that is a nice Gemsbok! Congrats man. Great tasting meat too.

I saw a show recently where they went for gemsbok with 45-70. Very effective from the ranges they were able to reach. Seems like a fun option.

Used a 300 Swift A-Frame at 2450 fps on this one at 90 yds. Bullet was a noticeable lump under the hid on the off side.
gemsbok.jpg

Hunting partner shot one with a .300 Win and std old 180 Hornady's. Got maybe 1/3 penetration and popped only one lung, shot way too far back and a bad angle too. As previously stated most african antelope have their vitals farther forward than north american game.

We tracked that bull for about 3 km's before he finally layed down and offered a finishing shot. Can't impress enough how tough these guys can be.

I always recommend "The Perfect Shot" by Kevin Robertson. Shows the anatomy of all the African game animals. Proper placement can save a guy a LOT of time. And on a hunt, Time IS money.

FN in MT

All are great choices, I used the 200AB which was chugging along at the chrono'd average of 3140 out of my RUM. It worked fine on all my game when i was in SA. Only passed through on the impala that it totally smashed, but was just on the hide on the rest.
My guide loves swift bullets and had mentioned that the tsx's are also good.
Heres my gems:
gemsedit.jpg

An what 200gr AB's look like when they are done working:
DSC02333.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

Here's the exit side of the impala..no i didnt shave the hair of it was knocked off on exit:
DSC_0095.jpg

Now i am starting to think i am under gunned with the 308 norma magnum. if the 300 RUM chronos 200 AB at 3100, the most i will be able to do is about 2900 if im lucky. should i just rebarrel to a larger caliber or will i be fine with that speed?

You'll be fine!!! Don't overthink it...they're tough, not bullet proof...
This young man didn't read ballistics charts but he shot his rifle a bunch!!! He wasn't undergunned...243 with core-lokts go figure... 36" off-range bull

016.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is awesome!!

That oryx never had a chance against that young man and his .243!

Congrats to that young hunter!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jmilera</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now i am starting to think i am under gunned with the 308 norma magnum. if the 300 RUM chronos 200 AB at 3100, the most i will be able to do is about 2900 if im lucky. should i just rebarrel to a larger caliber or will i be fine with that speed? </div></div>

I've got a total of TWO gemsbok under my belt, but DID see two others killed. So let's say I'm at FOUR.
FWIW...I think your fine with any .308" that can push a quality 180 or 200 gr slug 2800-3000 fps. It's all about PLACEMENT and the proper angle.

They may not be bullet proof , but they ARE tough.

FN in MT

As many have noted they are tough but not bullet proof. As ANY critter your trying to shoot placement is key. Im sure if I had shot a tougher bullet I would have got pass throughs.
I will say some of my shots were off slightly due to critters
moving, etc. Having enough gun is nice but placement is key as is a quality bullet. You should be fine with the norma, my guide told me about a lady that came over an killed a zebra with a 243.
Its all about where you put'm.
ALSO saw you mentioned the ttsx in 180, they also make it 200gr never saw'm in stores had to mail order mine. Keep that in mind as an option too.
With that in mind practice A LOT with the sticks an put'm where they need to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 808Huntress</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of the bullets you list will do the job given proper placement. As others have already stated use what shoots best in your rifle you will be fine. When I went to Africa the PH refused to guide us because of our bullet choice. It was a blessing in disguise actually.

Aloha! </div></div>

</div></div>

Aloha Nortex,

we were using 165 gr Sierra Gamekings BTHP out of 300 RUM's and 30-416 Rigby's

Aloha!

808Huntress,

Interested to know if you had any issues with a std cup and core bullet at RUM velocities, especially at shorter ranegs.

Did you end up on a cull hunt in order to take 15 animals?

2nd trip over I tagged along with a buddy, all I wanted was to take a good eland and black wildebeest. So I was done quickly.

I ended up spending 4 days with the land owner, as he saw I could shoot. ...culling out everything from 4 blue wildebeest to several red hartebeest cows. My .338-06 got a good workout.

FN in MT

i used a 300 win mag, 190 grain berger bullet, 2800 fps, it was a little slower than i thought, but it dropped. 350 yards

DSC_0062.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 808Huntress</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 808Huntress</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of the bullets you list will do the job given proper placement. As others have already stated use what shoots best in your rifle you will be fine. When I went to Africa the PH refused to guide us because of our bullet choice. It was a blessing in disguise actually.

Aloha! </div></div>

</div></div>

Aloha Nortex,

we were using 165 gr Sierra Gamekings BTHP out of 300 RUM's and 30-416 Rigby's

Aloha! </div></div>

Thank's for the response. I can understand their concern to an extent I've seen them fail in smaller calibers but usually they work well in 30 cal and up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FN in MT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">808Huntress,

Interested to know if you had any issues with a std cup and core bullet at RUM velocities, especially at shorter ranegs.

Did you end up on a cull hunt in order to take 15 animals?

2nd trip over I tagged along with a buddy, all I wanted was to take a good eland and black wildebeest. So I was done quickly.

I ended up spending 4 days with the land owner, as he saw I could shoot. ...culling out everything from 4 blue wildebeest to several red hartebeest cows. My .338-06 got a good workout.

FN in MT </div></div>

FN,

No we didnt experience any issues with our bullets at all. They were all one shot drops including the other species hunted. we've used these bullets throughout the world and the continental US and they have done fine by us.

No we didnt do a cull hunt although that would have been fun I bet. We were asked to take game throughout our hunt for food. And because it was my birthday while I was there I was given 2 complimentary animals. So I took a Gemsbok and a Kudu.

Blue Wildebeest are tough animals no doubt. But the thickness of Giraffe hide just blew me away. A barnes TSX out of my 338 Lapua failed to exit on a neck shot LOL!

All in all we took Kudu,Blue Wildebeest,Hartmanns Zebra,Red Hatebeest,Springbok,Impala,Waterbuck,Warthog (Took one with Dog and Knife LOL!)Blesbok,Jackal,Baboon,Black Wildebeest,Giraffe and a couple I probably cant remember.

The PH that refused to guide us ended up with a client shooting A-Frames and Barnes TSX bullets in his rifle. But his shot placement was less than desirable. Needless to say they spent most thier time tracking instead of hunting. We actually put down a gemsbok the other hunter had shot multiple times and he asked if we saw it if we could try and get it on the ground so we did when we saw it.

Sounds like you had a blast good for you everyone who hunts should go at least once.

Aloha!

In the past two years I've taken 11 animals with the 9.3x62 and 286 Norma Oryxs, including 36 and 42" gemsbok and two gemsbok culls. That heavy bullet at low speed is an incredible killer.

the 375 H&H will kill anything on the planet, no more worries.

on the 9.3x62 ... i'd be curious. energy is about the same as from a 270wsm, so if you pick the right bullet ...

I shot plenty of stuff in SA with my 270WSM and 150 partitions. Put the bullet in the right spot and it will work.

pick which ever bullet your rifle shoots best and go with that. you have plenty of horsepower withthe 308 norma mag. Last year a good friend of mine killed 2 in namibia with a 30-06. other hunters in camp dropped em with 308, 270 and 6.5x55. theyre tough critters for sure but put any of the bullets your tryin to choose from in the sweet spot and theyre gonna be real sick real quick.

I shot mine with a 7mm Rem Mag.