• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber suggestions for large bore suppressed shorty

One1Bravo

Ops4
Minuteman
  • Jul 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Looking for ideas on my next build. My main purpose for this is just because I can. Otherwise it may get used every now and then to hammer some hogs. I'm interested in a 338 or larger. Don't want a barrel longer than 18" and I will be shooting suppressed most of the time but ideally I'd like to have both super and subsonic performance. This will be a bolt gun. So far I'm looking at: 338 Federal, 375 Raptor, and 458 Socom. The 375 Raptor so far looks super appealing. I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Raffica762
    Plus one on 350 legend. Built a 16 inch bolt action in 350 legend that has some punch with 150 and 180 grain bullets

I'm juuuuust about to put the finishing touches on a Ruger American Ranch originally chambered in 450 Bushmaster, but re-chambered to 45 Raptor.

With a projectile diameter of .452, you don't have quite the selection that you do at .458, but it is possible to swage down .458 projectiles of some types. In any event, I'm thinking that once I get the supersonic stuff ironed out, I may play with swaging down some of the 500+ grain HCL .458 projectiles for subsonic use.

Anyhow, here it is:

45 Raptor w out can.jpg

45 Raptor w can.jpg

Last edited:
    458 Win Mag will do. You can load it for subs like a 458 SOCOM AND have the added benefit of destroying your shoulder with full power supers.

Just make sure your can is rated for short barrel magnum.
    Blowing the guts out of one sucks....