• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Calling All Seekins Havak Bravo Owners

Doug308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Hey guys, would like to buy one of these in 6.5CM, anyone have one and what is your opinion ?

Seekins seems to make nice stuff, so im guessing the rifle will be of good build quality.

I think the Rock Creek barrel is the button rifled and not the cut rifled version.

Thanks

I am ordering one at the end of this month, going to take a bit to get one in at my lgs but I have herd good things about them.
Didn’t know they used rock creek barrels.

My buddy has one in 6.5 prc, its been sent back to seekins due to a bur in the barrel shredding bullet jackets.
The last match he shot with it the action got really sticky and gritty while shooting stages, and he was running hornady factory ammo. The action design really isn't reliable.
He is refusing to shoot it in a match ever again and plans on using it as a hunting rifle.
He is currently building a custom for match use.

From what I've seen first hand I would never buy one and would never recommend them.

• Wow
Reactions: deersniper
I just picked up mine last week. Though I haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet, my initial impression is good. I have outfitted mine with a Sako TRG bipod, Viper PST in Seekins rings, and a Griffin Paladin taper thread mount for my Recce 7. Bolt cycles smooth. I loaded some sized and seated dummy rounds into an AICS and Magpul mag; feeds from mag, chambers, cycles, and ejects smoothly. I really like the Bravo stock; lots of attachment points and flexibility. The adjustable comb riser is nice. Lighter barrel profile than I'm used to - somewhere between a Remington Varmint profile and a medium palma I think; nice balance of weight and stiffness.

I'll make sure to check back in once I shoot it.

My buddy has a Seekins Havak Bravo and a PH2 in 6.5PRC and I have the HP1 in 6.5cm and all three shoot Hornady factory ammo sub moa and often half moa or less. Last week my buddy took his Bravo to 800 yds and was getting first round hits from 250 to 800.
Neither of us have had any issues with feeding or reliability.
I learned mine doesn’t like crap European ammo though: sticky bolt lift after inconsistent hot loads. It loves Hornady ELDM 147s though.

Reactions: mateofeo85
I confirmed the Rock Creek barrel is buttoned rifled and going by the barrel diameter measurements still a heavy barrel

I have a PH1 in 6 creed I have been using for 3 years for PRS matches. I rebarreled away from the Rock Creek “light tactical, heavy spiral fluted” tube at the end of my first season and have been shooting Bartlein Heavy Palma barrels ever since, on my 3rd now. For a hunting rifle, the Seekins PH1/PH2 are fantastic. For a competitive match rifle, there are better options in its price class now which simply weren’t around when I bought mine (Badrock Southfork, MPA PMR). Mine came with a McMillan Game Warden stock, to which I added a cheek riser and an Area419 arcalock rail, plus left side flush cups, and about a pound of extra weight - and of course modified the barrel channel for the considerably heavier contour. I swapped the factory issued Timney 510 for a Jewel HVR set at 6oz. The factory knob works for me, but it’s pretty minimalist for a match rifle. The DLC bolt is slick, although mine is overdue for recoating, with something around 20,000 cycles on it. I love that it feeds freely from AW mags. The integral lug is small, but it doesn’t move, and I do appreciate the bolt on rail is also lugged. Drop in barrel options and the unique breechblock design make rebarreling nice - admittedly I’d like to finally see bolt heads for sale and I’d add a 6.5 PRC barrel to mine for elk and black bear hunting.

The cock-on-close action isn’t for everyone. It feels like you’re crush fitting headspace or jamming hard - every. single. time. This cocking piece design is not compatible with TriggerTech Diamonds - it simply won’t pick up the sear, so the trigger is dead when you cycle.

With the Rock Creek barrel, it shot small - smaller than almost any factory rifle I have ever owned - but compared to the Bartleins I have used since, it wasn’t anything remarkable. It shoots exceptionally small with the Bartlein tubes. Considering 6 creed in a match rifle, no barrel is a marriage.

All of that said, I can’t blame any miss on my scoresheets on the rifle. It runs fast enough and smooth enough for PRS, and it sends bullets exactly where my finger tells, even if it doesn’t land on target. I’m happy with my performance return against the money I spent on mine, and if I went back in time, I would have considered it still to have been the best option on the rack at the time.

Getting into one for $1400 after the certificates (about the same price as a Defiance Ruckus w/DLC as a bare action), I think a guy would be doing great - but the Havak was really built to be a hunting rifle, and it does that much better than it does as a match action. I think it works great for a “turn-key, gateway rifle,” meaning a guy can buy a Havak Bravo and start competing tomorrow while they build something else more expensive and competition designed. Glen built an awesome hunting rifle, so it shouldn’t be surprising that it needs some rework to be race ready.

Are there any companies in addition to Straight Jacket that are offering prefit barrels for the Havaks? Have the actions proven consistent enough for prefitting reliably?

I have a PH1 in 6 creed I have been using for 3 years for PRS matches. I rebarreled away from the Rock Creek “light tactical, heavy spiral fluted” tube at the end of my first season and have been shooting Bartlein Heavy Palma barrels ever since, on my 3rd now. For a hunting rifle, the Seekins PH1/PH2 are fantastic. For a competitive match rifle, there are better options in its price class now which simply weren’t around when I bought mine (Badrock Southfork, MPA PMR). Mine came with a McMillan Game Warden stock, to which I added a cheek riser and an Area419 arcalock rail, plus left side flush cups, and about a pound of extra weight - and of course modified the barrel channel for the considerably heavier contour. I swapped the factory issued Timney 510 for a Jewel HVR set at 6oz. The factory knob works for me, but it’s pretty minimalist for a match rifle. The DLC bolt is slick, although mine is overdue for recoating, with something around 20,000 cycles on it. I love that it feeds freely from AW mags. The integral lug is small, but it doesn’t move, and I do appreciate the bolt on rail is also lugged. Drop in barrel options and the unique breechblock design make rebarreling nice - admittedly I’d like to finally see bolt heads for sale and I’d add a 6.5 PRC barrel to mine for elk and black bear hunting.

The cock-on-close action isn’t for everyone. It feels like you’re crush fitting headspace or jamming hard - every. single. time. This cocking piece design is not compatible with TriggerTech Diamonds - it simply won’t pick up the sear, so the trigger is dead when you cycle.

With the Rock Creek barrel, it shot small - smaller than almost any factory rifle I have ever owned - but compared to the Bartleins I have used since, it wasn’t anything remarkable. It shoots exceptionally small with the Bartlein tubes. Considering 6 creed in a match rifle, no barrel is a marriage.

All of that said, I can’t blame any miss on my scoresheets on the rifle. It runs fast enough and smooth enough for PRS, and it sends bullets exactly where my finger tells, even if it doesn’t land on target. I’m happy with my performance return against the money I spent on mine, and if I went back in time, I would have considered it still to have been the best option on the rack at the time.

Getting into one for $1400 after the certificates (about the same price as a Defiance Ruckus w/DLC as a bare action), I think a guy would be doing great - but the Havak was really built to be a hunting rifle, and it does that much better than it does as a match action. I think it works great for a “turn-key, gateway rifle,” meaning a guy can buy a Havak Bravo and start competing tomorrow while they build something else more expensive and competition designed. Glen built an awesome hunting rifle, so it shouldn’t be surprising that it needs some rework to be race ready.

Considering this, I'm a bit less enthused than I have been for the last week about dropping some tax return cash on one. I have a 25% cert, but I can't say that'd be worth it even then, considering the extra effort to modify it later - triggers, not a true 700 footprint, etc..

I really don't like the cock on close for a match rifle, that seems like a recipe for feed issues, especially on the clock.

I don't know, I'm torn. Saving the $530 with the cert isn't anything to laugh at.

Thanks for the other rifles you mention, the PMR PRO looks promising, but is it worth another thousand? Sigh

I wish I could have snagged one of those 25% off carts before I ordered my rifle. Oh well, going to pick up my havak bravo Saturday.

Reactions: Baron23
Anyone have any recent updates on these rifles who picked them up April - June? Likes, dislikes? I am debating buying one or saving for another year to get a AI or full custom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I just received mine. Initial thoughts. It’s light. Trigger is not bad. I have owned every trigger you can think of and it’s a trigger with a wide shoe and breaks clean. The action was a little gritty, I sprayed the bolt off with one shot dry lube. I have cycled it probably 300 times and it’s starting to get very smooth. It’s hard because I bought it to hunt with not to run a comp. I also run sako or tikka actions in everything else that is smooth as butter. Over all for the price you can not beat it. I had a 30% off coupon for it. So at 1280 bucks it was worth every penny.

Thanks for the input Paul. It sounds like the action being rough is a pretty common thing guys are mentioning initially, but as you said it also sounds like it frees up quite a bit after some use and cycling. I am debating buying now or saving another year for an MPA/custom or possibly even a well priced AI. Hard decisions when you gotta stretch the extra change for all its worth. It sucks there is a 2 month wait, I wouldn't even get to break it in before the snow starts flying again here in Colorado.

Reactions: Graywolf.260
I received my Havak Bravo a couple weeks ago. The trigger is nice, it’s the new timney elite hunter. I had the same issue with the bolt being rough but after cleaning it and running it for a bit is has smoothed up. I unfortunately missed out on some seeking % discounts but am still not disappointed with the rifle so far. Still need to get out and shoot it.

Reactions: WyCoShooter
I will be hunting Colorado in late October, remeber your buying a hunting rifle that is extremely well made. You either buy a comp gun or a hunting rifle. I made the mistake twice thinking I could buy the two as the same one

Anyone have any recent updates on these rifles who picked them up April - June? Likes, dislikes? I am debating buying one or saving for another year to get a AI or full custom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I picked mine up in early May. I've put 200 rounds of Hornady 140gr BTHP through it. It was unfortunately windy as hell; groups weren't super impressive, but given the wind gusting, I maintained about 1/2 to 3/4 MOA vertical in my 5-shot group strings @ 100 yds. I maintained that accuracy out to 300 yds, and was predictably hitting 10" dia. steel gong at 600. I was personally satisfied with the trigger break. I shot paper targets out to 300 prone and off a Hog Saddle setup at the 600yd gong. Using a Sako TRG bipod, as it perfectly fits the front end of the Bravo chassis. Also shooting a Griffin Armament Recce7; only shot with the suppressor, never without. Cycled both Magpul and AICS mags without issue.

The action has smoothed a little; I agree that it was really gritty out of the box. I wiped it down and re-lubed it before each outing (50 rds first day, 150 rds second day. I'm looking forward to getting out and shooting some ELD-M's to record more data. After a few hundred factory ELD-M's, I'll start shooting some handloads seated off the lands at various depths and an appropriate OCW test. I'll keep y'all posted.

Here's some pictures of my setup in the meantime...

Last edited:
IMG_6846.JPG

Reactions: NDesme and 65prc

I have 300 140 ELDs through one. This year I mounted a 5-25 Vudu H-59. Well I fired 35 rounds on Memorial day. 32 different distances from 200-1125 yds. I dropped two rounds is all. This rifle produces exceptional accuracy. I originally planned to buy a Rem 5R but this was presented for a good price. A local shooter bought it to play with until his AI shipped. That happened much sooner than anticipated so it was mine for a grand, 40 rounds down the pipe and handed it over with 3 boxes of factory Hornady ammo. Last year I mounted it in a Whiskey 3 folder with a Gen 2 Razor, Atlas 5H. This year I lightened it up and started shooting from pack. I love it. Not one bad thing to say about it.

I have 300 140 ELDs through one. This year I mounted a 5-25 Vudu H-59. Well I fired 35 rounds on Memorial day. 32 different distances from 200-1125 yds. I dropped two rounds is all. This rifle produces exceptional accuracy. I originally planned to buy a Rem 5R but this was presented for a good price. A local shooter bought it to play with until his AI shipped. That happened much sooner than anticipated so it was mine for a grand, 40 rounds down the pipe and handed it over with 3 boxes of factory Hornady ammo. Last year I mounted it in a Whiskey 3 folder with a Gen 2 Razor, Atlas 5H. This year I lightened it up and started shooting from pack. I love it. Not one bad thing to say about it.

Thoughts on the whiskey 3 versus the bravo ?

Out of my 2 personal Havak’s and my buddy’s 2, I haven’t seen one shoot bad yet with Hornady factory ammo.

I thought I saw where Seekins is offering a bolt upgrade/fix starting in July, but you have to send your complete rifle in. I believe it changes the bolt to 100% cock on open to help smooth the bolt out.

Reactions: Newbie2020
My havak 6.5cm and a buddy’s two Havak 6.5prcs all three shoot half moa w Hornady ELDMs.

In my personal opinion, you'd be better off with a BH Origin.

I am not a fan of the Havak action. It is/was rough and gritty.

Thoughts on the whiskey 3 versus the bravo ?
The application is different. I rather carry and shoot the bravo from a pack or tripod. The gen 2 W3C is heavy and edgy. The newer models have addressed some of the issues I can mention. The ability to fold was nice when the suppressor is attached to a 26" barrel, for mobility or storage however it folds to the left not right. Thus the bolt knob is exposed and protrudes, so using a sling comfortably is somewhat questionable. I used a Midway Pro Series Shooting Mat Tactical Rifle Case for the Bravo. Awesome setup. Highly useful. Some things to consider, these two stocks are both extremely comfortable but both require a few upgrades. The W3 cheek rest was tossed and replaced with a vector arms AI type. Years ago KRG made a kydex sleeve for the forend. No longer available. The Bravo needed the tool-less LOP and knob kit. That was another $310. I wouldn't purchase a W3 if you own a Bravo. If I only owned the Bravo I am certain that I would not rest until I had the W3 too. Something important to note. The Havak and a R700 foot print are not the same. The trigger guard contains the magazine latch. The poly trigger guard which was on the Bravo with Havak was kept with the Havak when installed in the W3 and I moved the alloy guard with my R700 when I then put it in the Bravo. I reached out to KRG, they said it should not have made a difference however I had issues with magazine clearance. (The bolt would catch on the mag.) I love them both. High quality. I use them differently. I have been buying parts from KRG since 2013. My opinion is the styling of the Sako TRG is sexy as hell. If other guns can look the same then I am sold.

Reactions: deersniper
I thought I saw where Seekins is offering a bolt upgrade/fix starting in July, but you have to send your complete rifle in. I believe it changes the bolt to 100% cock on open to help smooth the bolt out.
Any additional info on this. My google-fu is failing me at locating any details on this. I would be very keen on this as I do not like the current bolt design.

Yeah, you need to send the entire rifle back- and just write "bolt upgrade" on the box. I haven't sent mine in yet (not sure I'm going to bother with it- ) but they told me that they were shooting for a 2 week turnaround. It gets a new bolt and a "small action modification". Not sure what that is.

I think it's a smart move for them because that's the biggest complaint that you hear about the rifle. I also think it is the reason that people say the action is a little "rough or gritty".... it feels like it as you open and close the bolt- but if you pull the firing pin assembly it is a smooth as can be. So the rough feeling is something to do with the cocking process.

Hey guys, would like to buy one of these in 6.5CM, anyone have one and what is your opinion ?

Seekins seems to make nice stuff, so im guessing the rifle will be of good build quality.

I think the Rock Creek barrel is the button rifled and not the cut rifled version.

Thanks
I have one in 6mm CM. It is a very accurate rifle, and I have been using it for PRS competition. It is light and barrel heavy as some have mentioned and I did add one heavy LOP spacer and that has helped the balance a lot. I do agree that the bolt is "rough". Keeping targets in view and running the bolt, I do notice the lack of smoothness for sure. Only complaint about the rifle.