• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Calling Florida Shooters

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
Hey all. My wife and I are moving to the Tampa area of FL the end of February. I've looked online and have found 3 ranges. All indoor. One with a 100 yard range and the 2 others had 50 yard ranges. They're all hourly rates and stuff and I'm just not so sure about them. Anybody here from the Tampa area? Are there any more/better ranges or places to shoot?
(I wasn't really sure which section to post this in.)

Re: Calling Florida Shooters

I'm JEALOUS. Myakka City is 3.5 hours from me, probably less than an hour from you. Manatee Gun Club has a 1000yd backstop as well as archery and pistol lanes. Quite a few 'hiders shoot there, find the local link up threads for FL and meet up with some guys there. http://www.manateegunclub.com/ Here is their URL, visit their page to find out about hours of operation, etc.

I checked out that link. 1000 yards is sweeeeeeet. If that's where I end up going I may be going back to a center fire round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I checked out that link. 1000 yards is sweeeeeeet. If that's where I end up going I may be going back to a center fire round. </div></div>

Aww hell, just get a 600 MOA Base, you will be fine

You can check out bsfshootingsports.com, they have alot of things/events going on. It is about a 2 1/2 hr trip from
Tampa. Couple of ranges in the Orlando area as well. There
are plenty of shooters in the Tampa area that can hook you
up where they shoot.

Regards

Mark

Thanks Linedrive! I'll check that out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AKAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I checked out that link. 1000 yards is sweeeeeeet. If that's where I end up going I may be going back to a center fire round. </div></div>

Aww hell, just get a 600 MOA Base, you will be fine </div></div>

lol. How does it work at a range that goes out so far? Do you sit and wait while a guy goes to get his target from over half a mile away lol??

Punta Gorda - Babcock/Webb Wildlife Management Area Shooting Range, 29200 Tucker Grade Road, Punta Gorda, FL 33955.
Phone: 941-575-5768
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (15 to 50 yds), Outdoor Rifle (50 to 200 yds), Rifle Silhouette, Pistol Silhouette, Muzzleloading, Trap, Skeet
Range Access: Public
$3 a day or about $27 a year.

Kind of a long drive for you though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey all. My wife and I are moving to the Tampa area of FL the end of February. I've looked online and have found 3 ranges. All indoor. One with a 100 yard range and the 2 others had 50 yard ranges. They're all hourly rates and stuff and I'm just not so sure about them. Anybody here from the Tampa area? Are there any more/better ranges or places to shoot?
(I wasn't really sure which section to post this in.) </div></div>

PM sent

Hope you aren't one of those awful Yankee fans
laugh.gif

Drive over to lakeland and shoot all day for $5 at tenoroc. The drive will be worth it! Lots of friendly staff and people at tenoroc.

Thanks for the PM!

Also, how does it work at a range that's 1000 yards? How do they retrieve targets and all that??

I was at Manatee gun club yesterday, for the first time. It was cold, but the Ro's and club members were awesome. It really was a good day.

They have golf carts that you can use to paint steel and change targets at distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

They have golf carts that you can use to paint steel and change targets at distance. </div></div>

sweeeeet

When you say you're moving to Tampa, you need to be more specific in sprawling suburbia, lol. Depending on what side of Tampa, and access to the interstate depends on the speed at which you can get to a range. I haven't been to Tenoroc, but always hear good things. Since I'm on the other side of the bay, I usually go to the Wyoming Antelope Club, last outdoor range in Pinellas. Manatee is awesome, and very laid back. Good place for a .22 also because there's a 75 yd. berm I believe, and you can put targets out at 100, 200, 300, etc. You can fire offhand at the short berm if you want. Pretty much if you're safe and can hit, they seem to be okay if you ask first.

Hi I live about an hour south from tampa and i know what ranges your talking about that charge hourly i think its ridiculous honestly. But if your willing to drive about and hour or so there's a couple ranges near where i live in the sarasota/venice area. One is outdoors and there is one indoors if your interested just pm me and id be glad to give you any information on either of the ranges i visit both on a weekly basis.

Woozy.

Sorry I can't be more specific as to where we are moving. All we know right now is that it's going to be in the Tampa area. Thanks fngmike. I checked out those ranges already except for Tenorac, whic seems to be really nice. Woozy PM sent.
smile.gif

no. you can do center fire at knights (50yrd), and shoot straight if memory serves (i've never been because their business practices suck). however, if you just want to shoot .22, all 6 indoor ranges i can think of allow it, st. pete police pistol club, bill jacksons, and few on the other side of the pond. but no CF rifle at the pistol ranges and they are 25yrd only.

Knight's Trail Park in Sarasota has 100 yds and 50 yds. I think it is about $12 to shoot all day. Nice to hear that Manatee has a good reputation. Shoot their almost every week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, every Sun am they have a rimfire competition at the Manatee Gun Club Range. See ya there : ) </div></div>

.22's only?

^ Thanks for the link. I checked it out and it looks pretty nice. They seem to hold some cool matches too.

Hi small bore never got the pm . But one of the ranges i was refering to was knights trail Its a great place and very well kept it is out doors and has 25 50 and 100 ranges. You may shoot any kind of rifle on the 100 and 50 yard ranges [im not sure about full auto though] . Also no pistols on the 100 but they are allowed on the 50 and 25 if you would like more information like i said just send me a pm and id be glad to give you anymore information.

woozy.

Ya i definitely like it there , there is one more indoor range called take aim on 301 in Sarasota . Its a private range so you need a membership but its much cheaper than shoot sraight who charges hourly . Either of the ranges i recommend i love them both.

Just a heads up for shooters in Dade County--Trail Glades has reopened and "the line is hot".

shoot straight is alrihgt, the staff and sometimes the people who frequent it can get annoying. It can be a bit pricey but 100 yards indoors is nice. I went their often for convenience's sake.

Manatee is the shit. Its well worth the trip and the staff is awesome.

Hey thanks all you Florida shooters. We'll be moving to Largo the end of next month, which means I'm almost in walking distance of the Wyoming Antelope Gun Club.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, every Sun am they have a rimfire competition at the Manatee Gun Club Range. See ya there : ) </div></div>ill have to look more into that, im in myakka city so thats no drive at all and my little marlin 925m is a shooter, always wanted to try some comp shooting

Yeah YAC has NRA competitions that I'm definitely going to be a part of. Haven't ever done one before so I'm excited.

Hopefully Wyoming has changed. Last time I was there they said in no uncertain terms that " I could NOT shoot my M1A with a mag and that I need to load each round by hand" . I looked at him like he had 3 heads. I packed my goods and left never to return. I have never been so constrained to load a round in an auto loading rifle in my life. Manatee Gun Club has rules, and I abide by them but to say an auto loader has to be hand fed in an M1A is ludicrus. Nuff said

i find that the best days to shhot at manatee is thursdays&sunday mornings

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i find that the best days to shhot at manatee is thursdays&sunday mornings </div></div>
Agreed, Fri am isn't too bad either. Happy Shooting and C Ya there

In Orlando - a 2.5 hour trip for you from Tampa - we have a 300 yard range. They also have some IMHSA Sihlouette, CMP Highpower, & CMP Smallbore comps if you are inerested... SCGAA

One that would be a little closer is in Lakeland. Depending on the disciplines you desire to shoot: Tenoroc

PS: Tampa has Shoot Straight indoor range - but the one's here in the Orlando area (and 2 other indoor ranges) have been in the news a little for I think some suicides and a murder at their ranges .... There is no detailed background for these shooters to shoot, so it is better to join a responsible range IMO>

Florida Shooters Network has a list of ranges in Florida - but you may have to join to access the page - not sure: http://www.floridashootersnetwork.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=62