• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Camp Perry's Long Range Match

Coemgenus

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
North NJ USA
I was wondering if anyone on the forum has previously competed at Camp Perry's Long Range match. 1000yds I am curious to know what the course of fire is. What equipment is recommended...

Re: Camp Perry's Long Range Match

The course of fire is typical NRA Highpower slow fire prone. You'll need a rifle with iron sights (and a scope attachment ability for the any/any matches), shooting mat, spotting scope. I'll look up some links for you...

It's absolutely typical slow fire prone...unless one shoots it offhand or sitting. Mid-range prone is the same long range prone except for the distance. You can shoot palma, any/iron, any/any, match rifle, service rifle at any of these mid to long range matches. The gear is the same the position is the same, the scoring is the same. I shoot mid-range on Sat and turn around on Sunday and shoot the Palma or Long range course (same rifle)...no gear change...no position change...no technique change....typical prone. The Palma course is the Palma course doesn't matter if its at Perry or Raton or North State Shooting Club or Camp Pendleton. Perry is obviously a bigger match or series of matches...hence 5 days of shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HKVerfechter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if anyone on the forum has previously competed at Camp Perry's Long Range match. 1000yds I am curious to know what the course of fire is. What equipment is recommended... </div></div>

If you are referring to the National Long Range Championship's, and, it's just 1000 yard events you're interested in, there are two matches which may interest you. One is an iron sight event, and, the other, a any sight event. There's a little more to it than that, but that's the gist of it. Both matches are 20 round for record, 30 minute slow fire single load prone with sling events, which may allow unlimited sighters.

These LR matches have a very rich history and tradition. Typically, the best LR shooters on the planet will compete in these events, as well as some of the worst, as the events are open to all.

Just a suggestion, get beyond the NRA LR Unclassified Master status before entering these prestigious matches.

Many thanks to ANGLICO Marine and Sterling Shooter for the quick clear and concise replies. I am shooting a letter off today to get a packet for all of the events at Camp Perry. Evidently if you did not register and/or compete in 2008 one cannot get the info electronically.

Semper Fi!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HKVerfechter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Evidently if you did not register and/or compete in 2008 one cannot get the info electronically.

Semper Fi! </div></div>

The match bulletins are PDFs you pull off the competitions web site. This applies to all the matches run my the NRA, not just LR. To sign up you do not need the mailed packet. You can do so electronically by creating a profile driven off of your NRA number.

Calling anything "typical" at the national matches is trivializing the experience IMO, though we each have our own perspectives. The program for the week and subsequent awards are unique to the venue. Also the Long Range Firing School that precedes it is unique. The shootoffs constructed of the top shooters per relay are also unique to this venue.

BTW 20 shot matches with unlimited sighters are shot in 25 minutes, with 2 sighters are shot in 22 minutes. There are more than 2 1k matches. They replaced the old 3x600 portion of LR week with 3x1000 two years ago.

There are also team matches, that are fun as hell. A rifle that you have at least some 600 yard time behind and good zeros will help out a lot if you don't have a 1000 yard range close by.
I've shot Perry for 9 years and it's a great vacation if you like to shoot.
If you haven't purchased a rifle and like AR's I can recommend one of these by MAK.

013.jpg

Concur with all above.

If you bring a rifle capable of irons you can shoot that the first day in the morning, then the 4-man team match in the afternoon (there are plenty of guys who will invite you to round out a three-some of mixed shooters from all over).

Second day is "Any Sights," so you then put on your glass and shoot the individual in the morning and the 4-man team in the afternoon.

If you have a 308 you shoot the Palma (the last match) at 800,900, and 1,000 yards.

You can shoot the whole Long Range Championships (including the Palma) with an iron-sight Service Rifle (M1, M14/M1A, or M16/AR15).

The Long-Range Championships are VERY laid back and friendly. Most shooters will openly share what knowledge/secrets they have learned over the years.

Commercial Row also has all the loading and shooting stuff you've ever seen in the catalogs (bring plastic money and leave space in your trunk to haul discounts home with you -- I try to buy all my reloading components at Perry if I can).

I hope to be good enough to go to camp perry one day. this next year the wife and i will be doing alot of practice to try and build up our skills in both f-class and iron sights.

goldy:
You don't have to be "good enough" to go to Perry.
It's an open match to all comers. There are class awards for all shooters. It is one of the best venues to pick up experience from some of the best. Just make an entry and go. You will have a great time. Best way is to buddy up with someone from your area whos' been a time or two.

that rifle is great,,, the stock who makes them??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_contract</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are also team matches, that are fun as hell. A rifle that you have at least some 600 yard time behind and good zeros will help out a lot if you don't have a 1000 yard range close by.
I've shot Perry for 9 years and it's a great vacation if you like to shoot.
If you haven't purchased a rifle and like AR's I can recommend one of these by MAK.

013.jpg

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old Eyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">goldy:
You don't have to be "good enough" to go to Perry.
</div></div>

Alan - I see you didn't shoot CMP week during the 100th anniversary. There were several hundred people there with ZERO experience on a KD range, no zeros at 200, let alone all the way back to 600.

There is most certainly a minimum expected level of competence required at CP. That's why they have the 10 round rule for Long Range week - if you are not on paper within 10 rounds, your Long Range day is over.

CMP week uses random squadding. It is totally unfair to your firing point mates to show up and not know what you are doing. NRA week at least they do squad by classification, though I'm not sure if they put the MUs over with the Marksman/Sharpshooters but I think they do.

While there is no qualification other than your credit card clearing in order to sign up and shoot the national matches, there is a minimum level of "good enough" expected to participate in the event. Know how to work pits and score on a full course match, know the rules, procedures, and rulebook, and have zeros for all yardlines that you can dial to if you get lost on the knobs. Beyond that, have fun and enjoy the experience.

I know the question was answered, it's from MAK. I want to point out that this one is a single shot remington short action thats been glued into the tube. At 300 yards it would give 5 shot groups in the 1.25 " range.
6.5 x 284, 48 Grs VV 160, CCI LR Benchrest primer with a 142 SMK.

sosicmcise ,
F-Class Nationals will be held at Camp Butner in North Carolina this year. The location of this changes from year to year. Here is a link for the F-Class schedule at Butner and the Nationals are listed here: http://www.northstateshootingclub.com/Pages/FClass.htm . I would highly recommend for you to shoot the camp perry long range championship over the f-class nationals though if you were only going to do one of these events.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HKVerfechter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Evidently if you did not register and/or compete in 2008 one cannot get the info electronically.
</div></div>

The match bulletins are PDFs you pull off the competitions web site. </div></div>

NINEHOTEL
What is the website you are referring to for match announcements ? NRA compeition site or does Camp Perry have a website ?