• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can’t decide on Bino’s

Zane1844

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 31, 2020
Basically a “spend my money thread.”

I had the Vortex Viper 15x50, that I sold a while back. Now I’m regretting it and want some new ones. I read that they are now made in China, so my search got more complicated.

I’m changing my mind a bit after reading more and how many binos are made in China. So, ideally, I’d prefer Japanese or European. But, I’ll do China if there some that are highly recommended.

I’m willing to spend up to 1k. Ideally $5-700.
These will replace my shit spotting scope for spotting steel impacts and (more frequently) misses in the dirt. I’ll also use them on hikes, and hunting.

I don’t need Swaro clarity, though that would be nice.

My short list is:

Athlon Cronus 15x56 (the price is appealing
Leupold BX5 12x50

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Reactions: Crosswind
Also, as I responded on demolitionman's thread, these look good and are on sale (Doug at Camaralandny; a site sponsor):

Reactions: demolitionman
I have leupold bx-4 pro guides and I love them. 10x42 work awesome for all my hunting needs. Have them in a rrs cinch for shooting on top of my tripod and they work great for that also. My buddy has the 10x42 vortex with the range finder built in and I find them to be super accurate on ranging at matches.

Reactions: Zane1844
Two attract my attention in the "middling" bingo market.....Steiner 10x42R and the Leupold 10x50 Tactical......neither are made any more.

I have two sets of Steiner 8x30R......love them but sometimes the sport focus leaves me wanting and who doesn't want more mag?

Tagging in two see what the collective comes up with.

Last edited:
Btw I just looked and midway has the leupold bx-4 pro guide under $500 might find them somewhere else even cheaper.

Meopta's are also considered right on the heels of Swaro/Leica/Zeiss, but I think for their big binos you're in the 1200 dollar range.

Reactions: BamaSE
A bino that can replace a spotting scope needs 15x, OTOH, hunting bino require brighter image and larger FOV, so i think 8x or 7x42 would do nicely. You needs lighter weight and handy bino for hikes, like 8x30, or even 8x20. So the way i see it, you need at least 2 different binos to do these 3 things well.

A bino that can replace a spotting scope needs 15x, OTOH, hunting bino require brighter image and larger FOV, so i think 8x or 7x42 would do nicely. You needs lighter weight and handy bino for hikes, like 8x30, or even 8x20. So the way i see it, you need at least 2 different binos to do these 3 things well.
You’re right. Hunting is last on my list, as I don’t do it much, might this year. But, I carried my 15x Vortex in my canteen pouch while in the Army without issue. Not sure if that was ideal, I don’t operate. But they were handy in looking for people during a training event. Never did the real thing.

I don’t mind carrying the 15x on my hikes, especially since it will help with spotting shots when I shoot.

I just looked through some Leica 10x, Leupold BX4 12x and the 10x Razor. All looked good. I really liked the Leica.

I’m torn between 10x all purpose vs 15x which are more dedicated toward the range.

Leica 10x42 Trinovids are not outside the top end of your budget.

I think the image through the Leica looks the best at the very top end of binos. When you're in Cabelas, the taxidermy looks better through the Leica binos than with the naked eye. I could read the eye chart across the room slightly better with the Zeiss, but the view through the Leica was better. A Leica rep told me that's because all prism coatings cheat to one of the primary colors. Zeiss tends towards blue, Swaro yellow, and Leica red, which gives it a warmer image.

Leica 10x42 Trinovids are not outside the top end of your budget.

I think the image through the Leica looks the best at the very top end of binos. When you're in Cabelas, the taxidermy looks better through the Leica binos than with the naked eye. I could read the eye chart across the room slightly better with the Zeiss, but the view through the Leica was better. A Leica rep told me that's because all prism coatings cheat to one of the primary colors. Zeiss tends towards blue, Swaro yellow, and Leica red, which gives it a warmer image.
The Trinovids are well within my price and I had a great impress of them. Size and weight are right.

The 12x Bx-4 were nice as well. I’ll get 2x more mag, and save more money. I’m torn.

I’ve decided to scratch the idea of using them as a spotter. I’ve been using a semi broken $50 spotter for like 6 years. My gf spot my shots out to 1200yds with it.

So I think I’ll upgrade to a $200-$300 spotter and be happy.

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks

Reactions: Zane1844
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks
I think I’ve decided on a 10x42. Either the Zeiss Conquest or the Leica HD’s.

I can give you guys a call and see which ones are preferred. Thanks!

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I've got the zeiss hd 10x and leica HD-B 10x. if the cheaper leica non ranging use the same glass, I'd lean that way. The zeiss are very good for the money, but I feel that the leica beats them in image quality and ease of use. I find that when I switch between the two in the truck, the leica's are easier to get on and focused faster, and are easier on the eyes. I'll swap between them looking at deer in a field, and the leica's just give a better image, plain and simple.

Meopta's are also considered right on the heels of Swaro/Leica/Zeiss, but I think for their big binos you're in the 1200 dollar range.
I went Meopta and so far really like them, 15x on tripod.
The forge is a good deal for the money from what I’ve read and I almost bought them once.
I’m trying as hard as I can not to support the fucking Chinese, sometimes it’s practically impossible.

No Chinese gets expensive at times, but it’s usually better and I get the warm and fuzzy because,, no Chinese and all that shit.

The Leupolds are pretty darn good. I have the 12x and the guy at my club has the 15x. They are pretty legit. I found mine for 600 on gunbroker believe it or not.

Reactions: Simonsza1