• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can a Savage be made into a competent tactical gun?

IF modified

just like rems
just like wins
just like rugers
just like stevens
just like mausers
etc etc

DT

I don't disagree.

But it looks like we actually answered the original question:

"My question is: with the increased amount of aftermarket parts could you turn a savage action into a competent tactical gun?"

That's once. (wink)

BMT

Just stating some facts not drawing any conclusions as I owe more to shooter ability than any gear.

Let me get your "stated facts" straight: changing magazines is a major "modification" (crap, I can't even type that with a straight face) and we should be "rest assured" that rifle that took the 1st place (not 2nd, or 3rd, or "finished in the middle") will be no longer used in competition .... because of single failure that is most likely ammo related (2850fps out of 20" ain't no joke).

ive had 4 savages now, the last one was full custom
shillen match barrel
all nitrided
SAV1 trigger
PTG fluted bolt
TacOps bolt handle
Mcrees DBM stock /10rd mags
38spl bolt lift mod
Action Job By Sharp Shooters Supply

then i built a rem700

now i have a AIAE

not 1 of my savage was 100% reliable in ejection... most will at some point dump the brass in the action..

my 700 was 100%
Remington 700 Action
Mcree chassis system.
Timney trigger
Barrel is CBI 260 match SS 24" threaded 5/8x24 "Rem-Age"
PTG fluted bolt with mini M-16 extractor
Badger bolt knob
Dan over at Darkeagle Custom, Inc. Trued receiver lugs, face of receiver – cleaned gunk out of threads and chased with a tap, faced nut, and cut notch in receiver to lock recoil lug|
100% Black Nitrided barrel, bolt and receiver

my AI is TITS

yep i have to admit savages are real susceptible to to boneheads that blow primers, dont blow primers or just buy plenty of ejector springs, just takes 5 minutes to replace them, or just stop trying to shoot a .308 like a .300 win mag. mines never failed me or dumped its brass in the action. i have been shooting for 45 years so i think i learned a thing or two. if you dont like'm just say so and leave it at that!

What is good for the thread is good for everyone :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I am new to precision bolt action, but I love my Savage 10T. I put on XLR chassis and it shoots Norma 168gr factory ammo under 0.5MOA most of the times.

Here is the 4 groups I did in the Frisco Gun Club 100 yard rifle lane (yes they claim to be the largest indoor shooting range in the USA). The last group is done on sitting position. It is obvious that I shoot prone better than sitting.

5r2un.jpg

a4z5.jpg

w3dyw.jpg

5cxi.jpg

ee1u.jpg

5ez2.jpg

A very simple fix to the ejection problem is to change out the ball bearing on the extractor from 1/8" ball to one that is 9/64's...

They are hard to find... mcmaster carr has them...

I thought it BS until I did it, the brass will eject and line up next to each other next to the rifle. It is that consistent.

I have about 500 rounds through with this mod and has not dropped one case into the action since. I was at whits end with my rifle and ready to do something drastic when I found an obscure reference to it over on the Savage Shooters forum. Why Savage has not done this from the factory is beyond me...

-Dug