• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can dial calipers be repaired?

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
I have a Craftsman dial caliper that my dad gave me that “lost zero”. These are stainless construction and are made in Japan.

The dial won’t reset to the 12 position, and every time I open and close it stops at different readings within .004

Can this be repaired? Thank you

IMG_4493.jpeg

So, I searched on youtube and found videos on repairing/re-clocking dial calipers. So that answer is yes. However, as anyone here attempted this and done so successfully?

If it's not worth the time, I'll just let them sit on my shelf. Won't throw them out since they belonged to my dad and were handed down.

So, I searched on youtube and found videos on repairing/re-clocking dial calipers. So that answer is yes. However, as anyone here attempted this and done so successfully?

If it's not worth the time, I'll just let them sit on my shelf. Won't throw them out since they belonged to my dad and were handed down.
There are calibration shops that can do this and get it back to where it needs to be if something inside isn’t jacked up and parts can’t be found. It can be as expensive as buying a new mid-quality unit. What’s good about using a calibration/repair shop is that those calipers will come back tested and certified.

Keep ‘em and use them on less critical stuff that to the hundredth is adequate since to the thousandths isn’t.

I have a Craftsman dial caliper that my dad gave me that “lost zero”. These are stainless construction and are made in Japan.

The dial won’t reset to the 12 position, and every time I open and close it stops at different readings within .004

Can this be repaired? Thank you
Try this place: https://www.texasindicator.com/

I sent a couple of Starrets there in 2005'ish for cleaning and re-cal. They did good work.
I'm sure a phone call or email could get you an answer regarding whether or not they could handle a Craftsman.

./

Loosen the screw at the end of the pointer and turn the dial until the zero lines up. Tighten it up.

Check them and see if they return to zero. If so, keep using them.

Loosen the screw at the end of the pointer and turn the dial until the zero lines up. Tighten it up.

Check them and see if they return to zero. If so, keep using them.
He can try that but if it is closing to within 0.004" to either side of zero there is probably either an obstruction inside of it, a gear going bad, or some other mechanical issue I would be willing to bet. Dropping them is usually the culprit when one of my guys come to me with them like this. Of course, no one knows how it happened. I'm usually a fan of just sending it out for repair, inspection and re-certification so that I have a fairly high degree of trust in the equipment. But I make my money off of equipment like this so I may be over the top for the intended use he has for these. Still, with calipers being +/-0.002" accuracy to begin with he could be 0.006" off on a measurement in either direction at any given time, and that is a lot, Could be more if incorrect force is applied while measuring. It is also noteworthy that just because it does return to zero that does not mean that they are accurate along the entire measuring distance, which is more common that most think. They really need to be given a good cleaning and inspection just to be sure.

If he is using them for reloading then they need to read as accurately as possible.

I just Googled "dial caliper repair and calibration" and got a whole bunch of sites that do it.

I got several YouTube videos that walk you through cleaning and servicing them, also. It might be all they need.

I have a 8" Mitutoyo dial caliper that I've been using at work for over twenty years. I sent them out (through a service my employer uses) once to be repaired several years ago, and it was quite reasonable. I wanted to send them out again a few years ago, and it would have cost me almost as much as a new set could be purchased for. I hang onto them because they were the first ones I bought.

I have a 6" Mitutoyo dial caliper at home for reloading, and a 12" Starret dial caliper now at work.

In all reality, you may find you're better off buying a good quality replacement and retiring the Craftsman one your dad gave you. Maybe make a nice display to put on the wall of your reloading room.

He can try that but if it is closing to within 0.004" to either side of zero there is probably either an obstruction inside of it, a gear going bad, or some other mechanical issue I would be willing to bet. Dropping them is usually the culprit when one of my guys come to me with them like this. Of course, no one knows how it happened. I'm usually a fan of just sending it out for repair, inspection and re-certification so that I have a fairly high degree of trust in the equipment. But I make my money off of equipment like this so I may be over the top for the intended use he has for these. Still, with calipers being +/-0.002" accuracy to begin with he could be 0.006" off on a measurement in either direction at any given time, and that is a lot, Could be more if incorrect force is applied while measuring. It is also noteworthy that just because it does return to zero that does not mean that they are accurate along the entire measuring distance, which is more common that most think. They really need to be given a good cleaning and inspection just to be sure.

If he is using them for reloading then they need to read as accurately as possible.

Somehow I missed the part about them being +/-.004.
I would give them a good, but gentle cleaning and then see what transpires.
If they are still off, then like you said, they are in need of inspection, repair, recertification.

I also have an old pair of Craftsman calipers and they are fantastic.
The old Lyman set I have started going wonky and just needed a good cleaning to return to normal.

If the OP doesn't want to go through the hassle, then buy a set of Mitutoyo or Starrett through McMaster or other reputable places.

Do not buy off of Ebay or Amazon.

Usually this happens when a dial caliper has been dropped, or gotten some grit up inside. In a shop environment, it seems to happen to all of them eventually, quality built or not.

As much as I like dial calipers, I've switched to digital (electronic) for that reason. A $200 Mitutoyo set is well worth it for my uses, but the cheaper $30 and up stuff can be perfectly serviceable too. And they don't go bad when dropped; they don't use gears inside, but instead read a grid in the main shaft. Pretty neat when a newer (yeah I know they've been around many years now) design like that ends up being more durable than the older stuff.

Reactions: LeftyJason
To reset the position that the needle comes to at zero, dial calipers used to come with a small piece of shim stock that you put into the gear train to "slip" the gear positions. It's a real PIA to get right. If it's not going to the same exact position for zero, that's another issue. I learned early on that whenever you are using dial calipers, you always keep them CLOSED to prevent any chips or grit from getting into the gears.

From a monetary value standpoint, it may be more cost effective to just replace them. But as a keepsake, I can understand the desire to have them operating properly. So yes, they can be repaired, you'll have to decide if it's worth it.

Reactions: lariat
There is a thin brass tool available for jumping the gear on the rack, works pretty good. You can send them in to companies who repair calipers and other measuring tools & dial indicators etc. But it may be more expensive to send them in than buy new. Get a coolent proof Mitutoyo and ya won't have that problem. I still have a few old dial calipers, but have changed to digital many years ago, they are more versatile and stand up to adverse conditions better.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll check into sending them off for repair, but my guess is most of your are right in that the money will be better spent on a new digital set.

I don't know why they tanked on me. I never dropped them, got anything on them, and I don't leave them laying around. If they are not in my hand in use while reloading they are in the case on my shelf. So, that is where they will stay.

I understand not buying something on eBay, but why not Amazon @Mike Casselton ?
thanks

Amazon sells a ton of shit products. There's no way I'd trust a seller to ensure that my product I ordered isn't a Chinese copy.
McMaster Carr sells the right stuff and you don't get screwed.

The cheap digital caliper from Harbor Freight has actually been really good to me. I bought a pair of them 12-13 years ago for $10 each so I figured I couldn't go wrong. Gave one to my dad and kept the other for range use. Dad liked them because he could actually see the numbers on the readout.
Dad passed away and I gave that set to a buddy and they are still going strong.
My set gets used for the ogive and HS tool, and works very well. I've compared both digitalis against both of my analog dial calipers and there's not a bit of difference in their readings.

I'd still rather have a nice Mitutoyo digital

Repair, because quality dial calipers are worth it.

GO buy a cheap set of digitals. If you can stretch for quality 200mm mitutoyos, then do it, but cheap 150mm are fine for 99% of reloading duties.

Reactions: rookie7
Id check CL for some tooks before giving Amazon or HF my money.