• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Can I cool a hot supressor in water?

But you can weld stainless steel with oxycetalene. Your statement implies to laymen that stainless is impervious to the heat from an oxycetalene touch. That is bad advice in context and irrelevant to quenching a suppressor in water.
My statement doesn't imply anything, but feel free to draw whatever conclusions you want to. It simply says what is says.

Reactions: Old Man with Gun
Go back and look at the posts that I was responding to before you start aiming your decorum ray. This is another failure to grasp context before making judgement.
99898266-CE28-45D4-ABF4-EECCA5520E59.jpeg

Official response from the manufacturer.

"Sudden cooling by immersion is not a good idea. Sprinkling water or snow on it is generally ok. Yes our warranty covers mistakes.

Thank you!"
out of curiosity who makes your suppressor? Might of missed it thread got a little long and turned into a mud slinging contest on who knows more about metal.

My statement doesn't imply anything, but feel free to draw whatever conclusions you want to. It simply says what is says.
Except your definition of cutting is too narrow. Your definition of oxidizing is cutting may be technically correct. But to everybody else cutting = making one piece into 2 along where you want it to go, is possible. Being technically correct with out trying to see something from somebody else's perspective makes you look like a douche.

If you later can see it from somebody else's perspective and explain it in a way that makes sense works. For example. Oxy acetylene won't "cut" stainless because cutting requires oxidation. Will it sever it? Sure. It does so by melting and blowing the melted away. Doesn't make a clean sever but it fits some definitions of "cut".

Reread your responses in that context and see why people are getting after you.
Most of you probably don't realize that a normal oxy/ acetylene torch won't even cut stainless steel.... like at all. Stainless and titanium are used for these things because of their properties including how they handle heat.

Anyone who claims to have cut stainless with a torch is a liar and an idiot. Note these 2 folks above. Research it yourself fellas, and then mark the 2 above who claim to have done it so you can disregard their vomited statements in the future.

By your definition you can cut stainless by running it over repeatedly with a truck tire.

Sure, maybe it will eventually be in two pieces.

I didn't invent the definition of "cutting", and every single attempt any of you have made to argue this point are moronic.

I made a simple statement that is accurate and factual, and this has to be at least the third attempt to argue with a simple fact.

I realize that it's 2022 and everyone gets to live their own truth, regardless of reality, so if you want to identify as a non-binary snowmobile seat, then we are all supposed to pretend that it is so, but....... you can't cut stainless with a damn oxycetalene torch. Next

I guess I missed it, did he get a can cover like Rob01 said back on page 1? How many more pages till we know, 😆

Except your definition of cutting is too narrow. Your definition of oxidizing is cutting may be technically correct. But to everybody else cutting = making one piece into 2 along where you want it to go, is possible. Being technically correct with out trying to see something from somebody else's perspective makes you look like a douche.

If you later can see it from somebody else's perspective and explain it in a way that makes sense works. For example. Oxy acetylene won't "cut" stainless because cutting requires oxidation. Will it sever it? Sure. It does so by melting and blowing the melted away. Doesn't make a clean sever but it fits some definitions of "cut".

Reread your responses in that context and see why people are getting after you.
I do believe it’s a bit hopeless, my man. We’re either dealing with a fellow that is having a bad day or simply likes acting like an autistic computer running an OXY/ACY INFO followed by a PEEVED algorithm.

Or perchance, is the poster an actual peeved autistic computer with an oxy/acy database loaded up? Heavens!

Regardless, emotional understanding and subtly are not among his/its strong suits.

After all, I was the only guy who actually agreed with him and he went after me.

I guess I made the fatal mistake of explaining things and/or making a lighthearted suggestion that he take it down a notch in order to get some future good vibes.

🤷‍♂️

May Saint Buddly bless this mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yondering
No, you're confused. You're ruled by the desire to be accepted and loved by faceless internet posters and you absolutely cannot fathom why i won't just bend the knee and succumb to the desires of people arguing against a simple fact. I do not base my own self worth on how people feel about me. I will always be unwilling to conform to a factually incorrect statement, regardless of how an anonymous group feels about it. I am a man of principle, and I'll die alone with my principles if I must. Your grandfather's were like me, and now most of you are just worried about how people will perceive you, and how it will effect your self worth. This is what social media has done to America, and in large part why we are in the shape we are in. I don't desire or value your opinion in this matter, and I don't need you to co-sign my statement. Facts are facts, and that's the only reality. I'm not here because I hope to be invited to the circle jerk.

Breakdown of this thread:

Should I dip my suppressor in water to cool it?

No just get a cover as it allows handling and cuts mirage.

Then.........

1663623171051.png

No, you're confused. You're ruled by the desire to be accepted and loved by faceless internet posters and you absolutely cannot fathom why i won't just bend the knee and succumb to the desires of people arguing against a simple fact. I do not base my own self worth on how people feel about me. I will always be unwilling to conform to a factually incorrect statement, regardless of how an anonymous group feels about it. I am a man of principle, and I'll die alone with my principles if I must. Your grandfather's were like me, and now most of you are just worried about how people will perceive you, and how it will effect your self worth. This is what social media has done to America, and in large part why we are in the shape we are in. I don't desire or value your opinion in this matter, and I don't need you to co-sign my statement. Facts are facts, and that's the only reality. I'm not here because I hope to be invited to the circle jerk.

Good grief. Sticking to principles is one thing, but that's not what you're doing. Refusing to see things any way except your own narrow definition is not "principles", it's arrogance.

You're acting all "holier than thou" about the definition of cutting - why don't you go look up that definition? It's not "oxidization".

The only one who's confused here is you, and you're stuck on what might be acceptable to a professional welder, rather than what can actually be done. A piece of thinner stainless can, in fact, be separated into two pieces with an oxy torch. That is "cutting". Is it pretty, and what a professional welder would like - no. Is it possible - yes. Get over it.

On top of that, as already mentioned earlier, additional materials can be used on the cut to allow oxy-acetylene to cut stainless well, even under your very narrow definition of "cut".

Last edited:
Reactions: carbonbased
Good grief. Sticking to principles is one thing, but that's not what you're doing. Refusing to see things any way except your own narrow definition is not "principles", it's arrogance.

You're acting all "holier than thou" about the definition of cutting - why don't you go look up that definition? It's not "oxidization".

The only one who's confused here is you, and you're stuck on what might be acceptable to a professional welder, rather than what can actually be done. A piece of thinner stainless can, in fact, be separated into two pieces with an oxy torch. That is "cutting". Is it pretty, and what a professional welder would like - no. Is it possible - yes. Get over it.

On top of that, as already mentioned earlier, additional materials can be used on the cut to allow oxy-acetylene to cut stainless well, even under your very narrow definition of

Last edited:
I dunk my cans in water to return them to ambient temperature for the increased tensile strength at lower temp.

On top of that, as already mentioned earlier, additional materials can be used on the cut to allow oxy-acetylene to cut stainless well, even under your very narrow definition of "cut".
Actually, If I may interject once again... I spent 20 years as a professional welder and metal fabricator... And the literal defintinion of cutting something is making 1 thing into multiple things. I don't give a fuck what his arrogant Simple Jack interpretation of it is. 👍🏼

Telling a partial truth is still a lie, what you say may be fact but if it is not told with complete information and in context then none of it can be considered the truth...

I dunk my cans in water to return them to ambient temperature for the increased tensile strength at lower temp.

Inspired by SpaceX and the, I'm designing a cryogenically-cooled suppressor. If I use 321 stainless at -320°F, I should be able to cut the weight of the outer tube by up to 75%! Now, this estimate takes into account neither the need for a double-walled assembly nor the Dewer bottle and its liquid-nitrogen* contents; our top engineers are working hard on these problems between bong rips and I'm confident we'll soon have workable solutions.

*Liquid hydrogen would have worked even better as 321 picks up another 17% in UTS at -420°F, but early testing resulted in unacceptable muzzle flash and the new phenomenon of 2nd-through-nth-round-pop.

In a bid to make the heaviest PRS rifle in history I'm going to fill the stock with a bladder and small pump & radiator and water lines around the barrel & suppressor to water cool the setup.

As long as it's louder than those little barrel cooler bore fan things I can out-annoy the other competitors and hopefully gain a mental advantage.

So if a shooter is short of water, would urinating on the suppressor get them kicked off the range? Asking for a friend.

Air cool. Why risk a 8-16 month wait on a stamp...not worth it

So if a shooter is short of water, would urinating on the suppressor get them kicked off the range? Asking for a friend.

Depends on how well this shooter is hydrated. If some mofo who hasn't had a sip of water since 10th grade gym class decides to do this after washing down a couple of donuts with some coffee, I'm gonna have issues.

In a bid to make the heaviest PRS rifle in history I'm going to fill the stock with a bladder and small pump & radiator and water lines around the barrel & suppressor to water cool the setup.

As long as it's louder than those little barrel cooler bore fan things I can out-annoy the other competitors and hopefully gain a mental advantage.
hahaha...I think its been done already LOL

1663684393781.png

maxim didnt know what they were doing, we can do it better.

whats the cooling capacity of liberal tears?
Well, personally I would be more interested in @Ledzep liquid cooled rifle if he used single malt Scotch.

I don't want any bodily fluids from a leftist anywhere me or my firearms. haha

Cheers

hahaha...I think its been done already LOL

View attachment 7959994
I would SLAY to see some goof show up with that gun at a PRS comp and shoot it on full-auto. Lol

“How does that guy keep on winning?” — unidentified PRS competitor

I have no idea if spraying at a long-distance target would result in a faster hit or not, but I want it to be true haha

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23
Well, personally I would be more interested in @Ledzep liquid cooled rifle if he used single malt Scotch.

I don't want any bodily fluids from a leftist anywhere me or my firearms. haha

Cheers
cant say I wouldnt be delighted to say my gun runs on their tears.

Just Piss on it 😂

To get a good idea of what it is like to piss on a hot suppressor why not do it on a hot exhaust pipe. The effect will be the same.

A good place would be on an exhaust on a motorcycle outside a biker bar. The human reaction will be just as animated as that at a shooting range:ROFLMAO:

so, .....
Just sprinkle with water or put the cover on? Asking for a friend

I took a class at the LGS put on by Sig Sauer on their suppressors. They told us that in the winter time in New Hampshire, they cool their cans off by sticking them in the snow.

They told us that it didn't hurt them.

I asked a friend who, even though he isn't a certified metallurgist is into it a lot, about cooling off rifle barrels and cans with water soaked rags.

He told me that the only way the properties of the metal would be altered is if it was glowing red hot. The way that I shoot, the cans aren't going to get red hot. Neither are the barrels.

He told me that I could throw water soaked rags on the barrels and cans all day long and it wasn't going to hurt them.

I'm just repeating what I was told and I haven't had any problems with the practice so far.

Feel free to disagree with me as I'm sure this post might generate some debate but they are my barrels and my cans. I'll cool them off anyway I like.
Because to change the properties, one would have to get the cans to a sustained 1900 plus degrees and then drop it in water.. That's not happening with anyone..

if somone was actually serious they could try to fit an actual mini refrigeration unit on there. it might look a little steam punk. but it will definately keep your barrel cooler than water only.
Screenshot_20220920-215121_Gallery.jpg

Don't know if anyone has seen this yet but seems semi relevant, air cooled suppressor using same method as Lewis light machine gun. Pretty neat....

Attachments

• mqdefault.jpg
    mqdefault.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 31
Marines are perfect for testing anything. Just like the old joke eludes to.

What happens if you put a Marine in a padded room with three ball bearings?

He will break one.
He will lose one.
He will make one pregnant.
It's bowling balls, not ball bearings.

Losing a ball bearing isn't particularly noteworthy.

It's bowling balls, not ball bearings.

Losing a ball bearing isn't particularly noteworthy.

Never heard it with bowling balls and it depends on the size of the ball bearing.