• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Can we stop shooting offhand in PRS?

It's being lazy, disorganized, and disconnected from reality.

There is a system, or at least there should be a system that helps educate and coordinate the various match directors. But it's in the series best interest to be somewhat lazy in their approach to making sure the matches are safe and effective. There are actually very few things standardized or at least meant to fit a recognizable pattern. Their hands-off approach helps them add more matches into the mix without having to properly scale it up. I know the biggest complaint I have received revolved around the lack of individual match support. It's token at best, but at the same time, those very matches are a selling point to sponsors. We have X number of matches, sure a bunch of them have issues, but we have numbers, raw numbers. Sure they are not very big numbers, but we can make them look bigger without doing much on our end.

One simple fix is Big vs Small or adding in more targets. Having a big target to mark the hold, and a small target to separate the good from the better. Put a 66% up there for a call, and a 45% there for a confirmation, it's not a difficult concept. make it a gamble, one point on the large, 3 points on the small. That lets the competitor decide their degree of success.

Sure you can push the target size and range for sake of innovation, competition, but do it smarter and don't just go through the motions.

Last edited:
Story from a match a while back.... heard this second hand so forgive me if I get it wrong. For reference I shot the match, just can't remember which one it was. I do recall it was a 12" plate at 400 yards, you had to do 2-3 shots offhand, then 2-3 kneeling, then some other shots off hay bales weak side and strong side.

Jake and another friend Logan were squadded together, there was either some discussion about the difficulty level of the offhand shots or some sort of bet as to how many impacts could be made. Jake took on the challenge and threw in some good natured trash talk while he shot the stage.

Bang > Impact! "Suck it, Logan!"

All in good fun, of course. @JC Steel did I have that about right?

Moral of the story, suck it up. Get better. Or Jake's gonna gap even more points on you on the offhand stage. :)

The better of the stages we had been talking about had a 66% IPSC at 320 yards and I think that was very challenging, but doable if you practice off hand. I think that’s really where these stages should be, challenging, but possible. And you can tell by the scores if it was just that.

Ok.

Moral of the Story

Bigger, Taller Guys who can handle heavier rifles in smaller calibers will do better.

I wish I could be over 6ft tall when needed so there is no downside, then I could shoot at K&M and 1/2 the props won't be over my head because they were designed by a guy who is 6' 5"

Exactly what is needed, more standardized Skill Stages that give an advantage to Taller Shooters because the prop height is designed to be over guys (and girls) heads. Oh wait, we'll put a footnote in the series booklet that describes a step to balance the situation, unfortunately I have never seen one yet

It's being lazy, disorganized, and disconnected from reality.

There is a system, or at least there should be a system that helps educate and coordinate the various match directors. But it's in the series best interest to be somewhat lazy in their approach to making sure the matches are safe and effective. There are actually very few things standardized or at least meant to fit a recognizable pattern. Their hands-off approach helps them add more matches into the mix without having to properly scale it up. I know the biggest complaint I have received revolved around the lack of individual match support. It's token at best, but at the same time, those very matches are a selling point to sponsors. We have X number of matches, sure a bunch of them have issues, but we have numbers, raw numbers. Sure they are not very big numbers, but we can make them look bigger without doing much on our end.

One simple fix is Big vs Small or adding in more targets. Having a big target to mark the hold, and a small target to separate the good from the better. Put a 66% up there for a call, and a 45% there for a confirmation, it's not a difficult concept. make it a gamble, one point on the large, 3 points on the small. That lets the competitor decide their degree of success.

Sure you can push the target size and range for sake of innovation, competition, but do it smarter and don't just go through the motions.

I've been begging for stages that are worth more than one point per impact. Unfortunately the PRS has a rule that dictates one point per impact. I get that it makes scoring easier but totally handcuffs any sort of creativity in the CoF.

Reactions: lash
latest

Come on Frank I got you!!!!

That would be perfect but the .Gov types pulling names from the remote trigger software in the App Store, I feel it will get us on a list.

Point being, if they want to be a National Series it needs to have Nationwide considerations doing business the same way as 2012 is not gonna cut it, at least not successfully. Then again it depends on your definition of success.

Reactions: slayer 2c
I've been begging for stages that are worth more than one point per impact. Unfortunately the PRS has a rule that dictates one point per impact. I get that it makes scoring easier but totally handcuffs any sort of creativity in the CoF.
We have done this in our local matches for years, but when we held a couple PRS regional matches this summer, we had to modify COFs to account for only one point per impact. It allows for tough stages that have larger targets worth only one point and smaller targets to challenge the better shooters and worth 2 points per. It also allows for true KYL stages that test a person’s ability to know when to stop.

The plus side is that we hold more non-PRS matches than we do sanctioned matches, so we still have flexibility. Wouldn’t you know, we get complaints from some of the PRS guys because things are different, lol.

@lash this is a bit off target but I've always wanted to run a stage where there's a 66% or full IPSC at 1k worth 5 points. You get one shot. Hit or miss you move on to targets at 500-900 worth one point each.

But because of the rules, you can't.

@lash this is a bit off target but I've always wanted to run a stage where there's a 66% or full IPSC at 1k worth 5 points. You get one shot. Hit or miss you move on to targets at 500-900 worth one point each.

I would like a stage like that. I’ll have to see if we can incorporate one like that into one of our remaining matches this year. For 5 points, I think that it should be a 66%.

Let's just get rid of everything that's hard, then we can all feel like winners even when we lose. This is the most millennial thread yet.

We have to shoot offhand?!

tenor.gif

I hate shooting the same match in a different field. Thank goodness somebody's trying something different somewhere.

A decent match director will look at the scores on their stages and tweak them for next time. If my match had an offhand stage with a 20% hit rate I'd make it bigger till I got to around 70%

Sure as shit wouldn't just get rid of it. I second Sheldon's post, using a full size ipsc at 100 as a penalty for missing was cool, innovative, and entirely doable.

Let's just get rid of everything that's hard, then we can all feel like winners even when we lose. This is the most millennial thread yet.

We have to shoot offhand?!

tenor.gif

I hate shooting the same match in a different field. Thank goodness somebody's trying something different somewhere.

A decent match director will look at the scores on their stages and tweak them for next time. If my match had an offhand stage with a 20% hit rate I'd make it bigger till I got to around 70%

Sure as shit wouldn't just get rid of it. I second Sheldon's post, using a full size ipsc at 100 as a penalty for missing was cool, innovative, and entirely doable.

Gotta wonder if you even read the thread, not a soul talked about getting rid of offhand stages.

Gotta wonder if you even read the thread, not a soul talked about getting rid of offhand stages.

Hi,

You did read the title correct?
Can we stop shooting offhand in PRS?

How can anyone decode that to anything except "Getting rid of offhand stages"?

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

You did read the title correct?
Can we stop shooting offhand in PRS?

How can anyone decode that to anything except "Getting rid of offhand stages"?

Sincerely,
Theis

The title was also addressed in a post mid thread. It didn’t end up reflecting the thread, then again you’d know that if you read the thread.

• Haha
Reactions: m700.308 and THEIS

tenor.gif

What's the thread titled Mr. Reading Comprehension?

The title was also addressed in a post mid thread. It didn’t end up reflecting the thread, then again you’d know that if you read the thread.

So if I start a thread, and my intention is clear, but I receive no support for my original opinion ... decide to change it, the thread is no longer about the same topic?

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas and CBeck
To the original point, I'm completely ok with offhand shots, but I would like them to be practical. In my book that means a full size IPSC or similar at a reasonable distance. Say 200-300 yards max?
The conversation turned to difficulty levels at some point...I would like to see the series matches with fewer stages, longer stage times, and pro/am only targets. (Frank's idea I believe) I think safety would increase. I think the fun level for newer shooters would increase. Yes difficulty for pros would increase, but difficulty for amateurs would stay the same or decrease.

1. fewer stages - why are we trying to cram 20+ stages into two days and finish by early afternoon on day two? Why make people rush so much? Fewer stages means a more relaxed pace for everyone and gives amateurs time to comprehend what's going on.
2. longer stage times - with fewer stages, stage times could increase. This solves some problems logistically, but the main thing here is safety. Any time you put someone in a stressful situation and then make them hurry, bad things are going happen. Even pros make mistakes when pressured.

One thing can be said, generally speaking; both the PRS and NRL have issues that need addressing. I personally would err on the side of slowing down, relaxing, and bringing some fun back into these events instead of fast, high pressure situations where only the top 1% of pros excel.

So if I start a thread, and my intention is clear, but I receive no support for my original opinion ... decide to change it, the thread is no longer about the same topic?

tenor.gif

If you take a cup, and put a label that reads “water” on it, then fill it with soda, is it filled with water?

If so, yes.

Imo if you can’t stand and hold your rifle to shoot it you either need to eat a sammich or get a lighter rifle.

Agreed that the described stage was not well designed but that’s a moot point if rounds were landing 100 yards in front of the target. It wouldn’t have mattered how big the target was. This is a wake up call that equipment is out of hand. We are to a point where guys can’t even hold their rifle steady enough to hit a berm.

IMO more stages should be designed to heavily penalize the tripod grabbers that haul a campsite to the line.

IMO more stages should be designed to heavily penalize the tripod grabbers that haul a campsite to the line.

I think they do pretty well to penalize themselves, this approach is more common with bottom to middle of pack shooters and it usually resolves itself as more experience is gained.

Maybe I should've named this thread "Should we stop shooting offhand in PRS". Calm some of you folks down a little.

Then again we would've missed out on the wonderful gif's and kind words...and let's face it gif's are the shit!

Reactions: lash and Patty
So if the stage was too difficult or unsafe, why did none of the competitors say "Fu&* this" and save the ammo and heartburn? That would have made a statement to the MD. Everybody was so busy worrying about "the game" and their own score they weren't concerned about anything else?

So if the stage was too difficult or unsafe, why did none of the competitors say "Fu&* this" and save the ammo and heartburn? That would have made a statement to the MD. Everybody was so busy worrying about "the game" and their own score they weren't concerned about anything else?

Quite the opposite, It turned into a good laugh, we all burned our 10 rounds trying our best. We all cheered when someone would connect, I can’t imagine being so serious as to react that way.

Reactions: m700.308
I didn't even bother bringing my tripod to our last local match. That being said I'm still over here trying to figure out what all the bitching about them is about? If I'm not mistaken they're an issued item and there was just a picture of a well known NRL competitor and former sniper instructor using one but hey, they're not practical at all....right? ?‍♂️

I did exactly that in the stage I described in post 41...I fired 2 rounds, realized how retarded it was and stopped

And I wasn’t even shooting a 20+ lb bolt gun, I was shooting a 15ish lb AR10...but holding on a 1k target in 25-30 mph winds standing, ain’t happening...I don’t care who you are

I don’t think 3MOA is an unreasonable offhand target size at all.

I take offhand shots at large and small game animals. Sometimes running game animals.
If your gear does not work, might be your gear.

When I mentioned tripods, I didn’t in any way mean that they aren’t a useful tool and absolutely the right tool for the job in many real life scenarios. What I’m seeing is guys using them on every or almost every stage, when the stage can be cleaned without one.

I’ll use an example. Maybe not the best one, but recent, from a match. A full size tank trap with 3 shots each from 3 positions in a full 2 minutes. Plenty of time. I watched more than one shooter drag the tripod around to three positions to beat the obstacle. Some didn’t finish in time, some did. Nobody knocked it out of the park with the tripod. A couple shooters, myself included, did better with a bag and a rifle.

I had one guy who dragged the tripod through the timed barricade skills stage. He didn’t finish and argued his score, but others completed the stage and cleaned it in good time with a rifle and a bag. Each to his/her own I guess.

Now, give me a choice between an unsupported field shot and using a tripod for the same shot and I’m all over the tripod. It’s about knowing what tool to use for the job.

I think a big issue not problem with PRS is no “company plan”

Is it:
run and gun
Sniperish
Equipment race
Unorthodox
Positional
Most hits
Most points

The series criteria has not been finalized and is consistently evolving with out a direction

That raises a lot of questions and opinions

Once it’s set forth there is only complaining about the rules not the process (like football baseball etc)

Reactions: reubenski
My point is that we as a community need to stop focusing on what other people are using for gear and worry about our own shit as long as it's within the rules and not a safety issue.

Back to the topic at hand. I don't mind off hand shots built into a stage. I practice it from time to time.

My point is that we as a community need to stop focusing on what other people are using for gear and worry about our own shit as long as it's within the rules and not a safety issue.

I find it’s only on the internet that anyone ever has a problem, yet to see anyone give two shits at a match how anyone else chooses to shoot a stage.

Reactions: reubenski and lash
Shot a couple BWRS matches at Rush Lake Range, 2 had offhand stages and as much as I loathe those stages I liked how it was planned.

First was full size IPSC at 150, one hit to move on. Then smaller targets at distance and prone for the rest of the stage.

Other was a bigger pig target at 200something, 3 shots hit or miss for the stage. Seemed practical to me and wasnt going to hinge a match on one stage.

I don't mind the "more than one point" per impact in theory. However, in real PRS-style match applications I think there are huge challenges to making this fair - at least with your specific example at 1k yds. Because a squad that shoots in the morning versus a squad that shoots in mid-day mirage and wind has a significant advantage. And unless shooters are kept blind in a holding area, there will be shared wind calls that give an advantage to certain shooters, especially if the shooting order is fixed.

You've shot enough comps to know that 5 points can separate 1st from 5th (or 10th). What would you think if you came in 5th with a zero on that 1k target, and the person in 1st shot it in the morning with the previous 3 shooters giving him the exact wind call?

I personally think KYL type targets or big-small target pairs could work with this idea. But ultimately to me it comes back to the fact that 1 impact shouldn't be worth 5% of the total points in a COF, or one stage shouldn't be worth 20%. 1pt per impact at least averages out the uncontrollable aspect of wind and weather effects throughout the day. Plus there's nothing saying an MD can't do big-small targets or a "hit to move on" plate at 1k to separate the good from the great shooters on any given day.

Here's a thought to get around it...since hostage targets are allowed, which if hit can subtract a point from the stage score. Could a stage be setup so that if you shoot at a target and impact it's +1pt, but if you shoot and miss it's -1pt? Theoretically you could do a big-small stage where you have to hit the big target 5 times, then with your remaining 5 rounds you can either stop and walk away, or engage the small target with any number of the 5 rounds you want (kind of like a KYL). If you impact you net an additional +1, but if you miss you start subtracting from the 5 points you have from hitting the big target.

Reactions: gnochi and lash
That's a possibility. Pair that with my 1000 yard stage. That's the whole point. One point per impact serious hamstrings any creativity the MDs have to make a balanced CoF.

I don't mind the "more than one point" per impact in theory. However, in real PRS-style match applications I think there are huge challenges to making this fair - at least with your specific example at 1k yds. Because a squad that shoots in the morning versus a squad that shoots in mid-day mirage and wind has a significant advantage. And unless shooters are kept blind in a holding area, there will be shared wind calls that give an advantage to certain shooters, especially if the shooting order is fixed.

You've shot enough comps to know that 5 points can separate 1st from 5th (or 10th). What would you think if you came in 5th with a zero on that 1k target, and the person in 1st shot it in the morning with the previous 3 shooters giving him the exact wind call?

I personally think KYL type targets or big-small target pairs could work with this idea. But ultimately to me it comes back to the fact that 1 impact shouldn't be worth 5% of the total points in a COF, or one stage shouldn't be worth 20%. 1pt per impact at least averages out the uncontrollable aspect of wind and weather effects throughout the day. Plus there's nothing saying an MD can't do big-small targets or a "hit to move on" plate at 1k to separate the good from the great shooters on any given day.

Here's a thought to get around it...since hostage targets are allowed, which if hit can subtract a point from the stage score. Could a stage be setup so that if you shoot at a target and impact it's +1pt, but if you shoot and miss it's -1pt? Theoretically you could do a big-small stage where you have to hit the big target 5 times, then with your remaining 5 rounds you can either stop and walk away, or engage the small target with any number of the 5 rounds you want (kind of like a KYL). If you impact you net an additional +1, but if you miss you start subtracting from the 5 points you have from hitting the big target.
Those are good ideas too.

FWIW, when I work up a COF, I always try to balance points made in stages as much as possible and within reason. Also, regarding wind at distance stages. First, there will always be some issues with who gets to shoot a certain stage in calmer vs. windier periods of the day. I will not make apologies nor try to please everyone as that is simply never possible. It is what it is, so deal with it. Most times, I’m shooting the same COF with a squad at the same time as them, so I don’t expect any shooters to have to shoot a stage that I myself am not shooting.

Plus, our typical wind conditions are usually so switchy (I say squirrely) that passing on a wind call is a lesson in futility. It is not uncommon for the wind to change both speed and direction multiple times during a single 10 round stage.

That's a possibility. Pair that with my 1000 yard stage. That's the whole point. One point per impact serious hamstrings any creativity the MDs have to make a balanced CoF.
I guess I don't understand why you think a COF can't be balanced or creative without inherently unbalanced target values?

There's lots of other things that can be done. One thing we've talked about many times is the lack of physical movement/stress on stages. Most are walk 5' and plop your gun on a prop with a GC. An MD could balance out physically fit vs out of shape shooters, along with heavy vs light rifles.

Mental stressors can be added, like memorizing a target pattern, having to mil/range a target, loopholes, etc.

And getting back to the original topic, skill stressors can be added like offhand/positional, weak side, long range or tiny targets.

Reactions: lawofsavage
Those are good ideas too.

FWIW, when I work up a COF, I always try to balance points made in stages as much as possible and within reason. Also, regarding wind at distance stages. First, there will always be some issues with who gets to shoot a certain stage in calmer vs. windier periods of the day. I will not make apologies nor try to please everyone as that is simply never possible. It is what it is, so deal with it. Most times, I’m shooting the same COF with a squad at the same time as them, so I don’t expect any shooters to have to shoot a stage that I myself am not shooting.

Plus, our typical wind conditions are usually so switchy (I say squirrely) that passing on a wind call is a lesson in futility. It is not uncommon for the wind to change both speed and direction multiple times during a single 10 round stage.

Good points. And my comments were not intended to come off as complaining for not always being able to shoot in zero wind. It's impossible as the day progresses to have everyone shoot every stage with the same wind/mirage, which is part of the challenge I enjoy. My main point was to suggest 1pt per hit normalizes that variability and at least gives the skilled shooters a chance to spot misses and make wind corrections rather than being "one and done" on a 5pt target that's shot in the worst of it.

I've come to appreciate MDs that randomly assign starting stages to prevent any possible gaming on the long range stages. At K&M they did your day #2 starting stage as a half-COF rotation from day #1. So if you started day #1 on the long range, day #2 you didn't get there til mid-day in the heat. I thought that was a very fair way to do it. Drawing from a hat could work on local club matches, since everyone knows the prime starting spot if they can select their starting squad number every match.

Here. Full circle and on topic:

Back to the OP topic. Are there any videos that help with techniques more suitable for rifles more typically seen in PRS comps? Can anyone with a subscription to @JC Steel 's shooting video series confirm if there is an offhand video? As much as one can learn from more traditional shooting techniques, my stock AX is like 20# without any weight added on purpose, so it's a bit of a different animal.

@samb300 I guess I don't view shoot once and losing 5 points as any different as shooting 5 times and missing.

To me it's no different than one squad shoots an ELR stage first thing in the morning and another shoots it as the last stage of the day. Is it fair, nope. But life's not fair. No different than shooting a hit to move on stage first thing in the morning versus a hit to move when when the wind/mirage picks up in the afternoon. No different than the 60 year old with a knee replacement having to walk up a hill to shoot a stage.

But if you want to make my stage more equitable or less a kick in the teeth; @1000 yards, 5 points for a first round impact, 3 points for a second round impact, 1 point for a 3 round impact before moving to the closer targets for one point each.

Last edited:
Story from a match a while back.... heard this second hand so forgive me if I get it wrong. For reference I shot the match, just can't remember which one it was. I do recall it was a 12" plate at 400 yards, you had to do 2-3 shots offhand, then 2-3 kneeling, then some other shots off hay bales weak side and strong side.

Jake and another friend Logan were squadded together, there was either some discussion about the difficulty level of the offhand shots or some sort of bet as to how many impacts could be made. Jake took on the challenge and threw in some good natured trash talk while he shot the stage.

All in good fun, of course. @JC Steel did I have that about right?

Moral of the story, suck it up. Get better. Or Jake's gonna gap even more points on you on the offhand stage. :)

Haha! I remember that.
The stage allowed for creativity and most were using said creativity to not shoot it traditionally.
I believe I shot it in the traditional format to prove it could be done. I just got lucky and hit them!
My trash talking game to Logan was also on point!!

The dumbest stage involving offhand shooting was a full size IPSC at 550 yards. Standard 4-position stage with 2 standing, kneeling, sitting, prone. I hit one standing and one sitting with both of those shots being 100% luck, just seeing the crosshair headed towards the target and squeezing the trigger while hoping for the best.

I agree with the idea of having shorter and larger targets for off-hand shots, but putting a priority on speed. A fun match up in Wyoming that I recently participated in had the right idea for that. You took 1 shot prone at 600 yards using your match gun, then had to grab a single shot Cricket .22, load, aim and shoot a full-sized IPSC at 100 yards before rinsing and repeating. That's a realistic shot to make offhand and it was fun to shoot with peep sights instead of a scope for the first time in a while.

For a little perspective, Metallic Silhouette is shot completely off hand at 500m on a ram that measures 32w by 27h. That is with a rifle that is limited in weight to 10lb 2oz. Big difference to our PRS rigs. Then again, they are taking 40 shots over 8 sets.

I don't think the offhand shots are unreasonable, but to think you will get hits without lots of practice is. If the skill is relevant is certainly debatable. I quite enjoy the skills and confidence gained from silhouette, but it was a significant investment in time and money.

Offhand shooting makes far more sense to me than "weak side shooting". Just another opinion.
If you find a sport that has every rule that suits you, you will be the only one in it.

The problem with making some targets (especially small targets at distance) worth more points is you start introducing luck into the equation. Much more so than the little bit of luck that already exists.

Offhand shooting makes far more sense to me than "weak side shooting". Just another opinion.
If you find a sport that has every rule that suits you, you will be the only one in it.

Both can happen practically speaking.

Off hand shots will almost always be close ranges and support side could possibly be longer. Though they would both likely be very close.

Otherwise you’d have time an opportunity to take the shot a different way.

I’m with @lowlight on this, I’m fine with both being part of matches. But keep it realistic. An ipsc at 50-150yds would be reasonable for offhand.

It seems like we're talking about a "practical" rifle series, instead of the "precision" series we have now. I remember when Frank interviewed Jacob Bynam (sp) he talked about how all his stages in a match were from a real world story. I think that's a match I'd like to shoot.

Reactions: deersniper