• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can't decide on 6.5 CM brass...

Shooter_308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
Long Island, New York
Hey guys, got a conundrum here. Recently picked up a Tikka CTR, plan on loading Berger 140 VLD or Lapua Scenar L. Can't decide on the brass. I'm stuck between Norma and Hornady Match. Do you think the Hornady is worth trying or would the Norma be a much better choice? Problem is I see people stating the Norma is normally shorter than SAAMI spec, any input?

Lapua is making 6.5CM brass now, (and small primer pockets no less), why not go with the best.

I have been using the Hornady brass for 4 years in my 6.5 cm without issue. When you get it there is more prep Hornady then with Norma brass. I do have a Bench Source annealer so that does make a difference. The 6.5 brass I am using now has 6 firing and checks out fine. I have some .243 Norma and it is shorter the SAAMI by .003 on avg so not bad.

Lapua is making 6.5CM brass now, (and small primer pockets no less), why not go with the best.

^^^^^
What he said!

Norma or Nosler is also pretty skookum brass as well. Like Fursniper stated though, you can't beat Lapua brass.

Alpha Munitions or Lapua. Personally I would go with Alpha but I like the large primer.

Why pay norma money when you can have lapua for less? The hornady works, but for the cost, that stuff should be nicer. Worst necks of any brass ive ever used. Surprised it shoots as well as it does.

Or instead of paying for the Norma pick up some of the prime brass people are selling a lot of it lately on here. 1x brass is typically going between 50-65 cents a piece and I've been super impressed with the brass I got. I bought 200 pieces from a shop that shoots for prime and then my buddy I'm getting into long range that doesn't reload yet gave me some of his and I've been very impressed with the consistency. I suggested the prime because it's just Norma brass that they put a prime head stamp on for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is nothing wrong with Hornady brass. Many of us have been using it for years with no problems and great loads. I do agree that you should consider Lapua now that they are producing brass but if you're right on budget then you won't go wrong with Hornady

I run Lapua in my .308, and as wonderful as it is my main issue is availability on the Lapua 6.5 brass. My concern being availability, just like H4350 it will be nowhere to be found.

I run Lapua in my .308, and as wonderful as it is my main issue is availability on the Lapua 6.5 brass. My concern being availability, just like H4350 it will be nowhere to be found.

You can find it. It just came out so there may be some production delays but I picked up 300 pieces on back order and they came in under 3 weeks. If you're that worried then go with Hornady

My experience with lapua is that it's almost always in stock. The creedmoor brass was just released, its going to take a little time to fill the supply chain.

If you look hard enough you can find the lapua brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you have a lot of 308 brass, you could convert it, time consuming though. I converted a bunch of Lapua Palma befor Lapua came out with it's 6.5 brass.

I'm currently using some Nosler brass I've had for a while. It seems like some high quality stuff. Weighed out real consistent and the necks are very uniform. Aside from the cost it looks like great stuff.

I'm really liking the new Lapua Creedmoor brass. Only thing to be aware of is that you need to start lower than the book says as the small primer is producing velocities and pressures with about 1.5gr less powder than recipes designed around the large primer brass. You also have to find decapping pins for the Lapua small flash hole (1.5mm) and the primer pocket is just a tad deeper than normal - Sinclair sells a BR/PPC uniformer for it.

I'm really liking the new Lapua Creedmoor brass. Only thing to be aware of is that you need to start lower than the book says as the small primer is producing velocities and pressures with about 1.5gr less powder than recipes designed around the large primer brass. You also have to find decapping pins for the Lapua small flash hole (1.5mm) and the primer pocket is just a tad deeper than normal - Sinclair sells a BR/PPC uniformer for it.

So I can't start at minimum load data? I'm confused by your statement.

I didn't find nearly that mach variation between the two(Hornady v. Lapua). With every element of the load being identical except for brass, my lapua loads were less than 30fps faster. Since the lapua is so much stronger, people are gonna push them harder anyway i
I predict. Essentially the slight velocity/pressure increase will be lost in all that. Do a normal load work-up.

I'm currently using some Nosler brass I've had for a while. It seems like some high quality stuff. Weighed out real consistent and the necks are very uniform. Aside from the cost it looks like great stuff.
I too am using Nosler brass for my 6.5 Creedmoor. The brass looks good to me. Actually far less weight deviation as compared to Lapua. I use Lapua brass for everything else. I am getting great accuracy out of the Nosler brass. "If it ain't broke don't try to fix it." I used the small primer Lapua 308 brass and noticed no difference as compared to the large primer brass. Ray

Once lapua comes back in stock I place to grab a big order. Have a 6.5 creedmoor and a 6 creedmoor to fuel.