• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Can't get a 300 win mag zeroed, won't hold a group, suggestions?

Trust_No_One_tagline.jpg

Often I'll ask the customer if they need the scope set, but usually I return it and everything is finger tight. "You will need to boresight and set your own eye relief. The torque settings are in the box with the rings / scope, I can write it down on your invoice if you need".

It's too troublesome to set it, because then it's set to my eye relief, which is goofy. Great for me, Akward for others.

I do however set it up for some people if they are new to it and don't have the tools. I explain it will need to be tweaked, and then go thru parallax, diopter, etc..

Reactions: OREGUN
That's impossible, everyone knows you can't TIG a steel screw to an aluminum ring!

You gotta spin the screws with the impact gun fast enough to stir weld them.

Let's just turn the whole thread into a shit stain....I'm getting sick of legitimate questions and information being turned into a shit fest.

Do we have nothing better to do at SH than turn every thread where we can help someone into a shit fest? Fuck me....I gotta find a better place to hang.

VooDoo

Let's just turn the whole thread into a shit stain....I'm getting sick of legitimate questions and information being turned into a shit fest.

Do we have nothing better to do at SH than turn every thread where we can help someone into a shit fest? Fuck me....I gotta find a better place to hang.

VooDoo

Could always use alloy Tig welder. Once it's on, its on for life. Also can't be stolen.

Seriously, I can't find a flaw in this logic.

VooDoo
We helped! Now we are waiting to hear what happens next weekend when the range dries out. And we are arguing about how to torque scope ring screws while we wait. What’s the problem?

I was doing to suggest finding a crossroad somewhere out west you never know Robert Johnson could not play the guitar not a lick till he made a deal maybe you could try the same thing you can do it . Best of luck forever is a long time remember to add unlimited ammo ro the deal .

Last edited:
So I guess my suggestion of a “pin and weld” type finish is unwanted at this point

Maybe just fill the screw holes with silver solder??

That could work, perhaps try some jb-weld or bedding compound ? Once the scope is bedded into the rings, you can have an issue ever again I'd expect.

Reactions: roostercogburn98

VooDoo

Just kidding

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Cut the shit guys. Obviously @Vodoun is trying to have a serious discussion on completely dissasembling and reassembling your rifle right before a match just to make sure every screw is torqued properly.

Reactions: Zerglish
Does anyone disassemble and reassemble their optics before a match? You know, to make sure they are torqued properly?

Does anyone disassemble and reassemble their optics before a match? You know, to make sure they are torqued properly?
Every
Single
Time

I also re-purge my nitrogen/argon before every match...just in case 🖕🏻😎🖕🏻

• Haha
Reactions: AIAW
Every
Single
Time

I also re-purge my nitrogen/argon before every match...just in case 🖕🏻😎🖕🏻
Preparing for a match is a 2 week ordeal.

Have to send my powder scales and calipers away for calibration.
Completely strip rifle, scope, bipod and tripod to individual components, inspect and re-assemble.
Strip my truck engine down to check ring gap before I drive more than 100miles, more than 200miles I check big end and main bearing clearances.
If I'm flying somewhere, phone the airline and make sure to only fly on a plane that's just come out of a heavy maintenance check.

Just the things you do to know everything is right.

• Haha
Reactions: OREGUN and AIAW
Are you honestly saying you dismantle your rail and rings and dismount your scope before any “critical” shooting event? That’s nuts. After you do that, do you shoot any rounds to rezero/verify reticle alignment? Then do you take it all apart again to make sure nothing loosened up? This is an interesting follow-on to a comment @lowlight made on a podcast about people damaging threaded fasteners by constantly “re-torquing” them…essentially saying that hitting a fastener with a torque wrench repeatedly eventually leads to an over torque situation. Appropriate thread locking compounds, appropriate torque values, high quality parts. Done. Forever.

To the OP: definitely check any threaded fastener on the gun…action screws, rail, rings, cross bolts….are the rings mounted forward in the ring slots? Is the base bedded…not that it necessarily needs to be, just curious. Action screws…loosen them up and go back through whatever process of re-tightening you like which ensures that the recoil lug is seated against the stock and the screws are tightened evenly so as to reduce any tension on the action. Are there any marks on the brakes that might indicate bullet contact? Brass colored streaks, “smudges” of metal moving at the exit hole? If it’s easy to take off, try it. If it’s been rocksett attached, I’d try all the other stuff before I went beating, soaking, heating anything to get it off. If it’s easy enough to switch the scopes between your 308, you could try that too.
Water soak has always removed rockset for me. For Godsake, don't apply heat. It's designed to take that.

I had a buddy who had the same issue. We couldn’t get that thing to zero no matter why we tried with the scope. He took it to a gunsmith and it ended up being a bent barrel.

I recently went thru a similar issue and long story short, the scope base was shifting. Removed, bedded it, new screws set with loctite and torqued to spec and now back to a bug hole gun.

I figured it out while dry firing. Gun would go snap at high magnification and the sight picture moved. A real wtf moment.....I was convinced it was me that was spoiling accuracy.

VooDoo

Did we ever get any feedback about the brake ?

If it dries up a bit, we're going to test the scope swap this afternoon. While on the range, I'll check for any sign of impact on the brake. Everything else on the gun is the same as it was before the scope and brake were installed. I'm sure it is possible that things come loose especially if not properly torqued/loctite'd, so we'll check that next. This rifle was pretty impressive before, despite the POS scope. One thing I did notice when I shot it the other day, the ejector is not kicking the spent casing out with any authority. Half the time it barely clears the breech and the other half it doesn't eject at all. It always pulls out of the chamber though. This is a gunsmith issue beyond my skillset, but I wouldn't think it could contribute to the accuracy issue.
Do you hand loaded your own bullets, if so sound like a hot load going on. But on the scope I wouldn’t be surprised if it is the vortex I got 2 vipers that wouldn’t hold zero. But one thing about vortex they have awesome warranty and replacement program!

One thing I did notice when I shot it the other day, the ejector is not kicking the spent casing out with any authority. Half the time it barely clears the breech and the other half it doesn't eject at all. It always pulls out of the chamber though. This is a gunsmith issue beyond my skillset, but I wouldn't think it could contribute to the accuracy issue.
This is worrisome. Is it a low rings scope mount interfering with ejection, or do you have a much graver issue such as a broken receiver?
One other thing to check is the claw extractor. A sheared rim segment could give you the same result. Enough engagement to extract, not enough to flip clear.

Okay, the obvious answer is operator error and normally I'd agree, but in this case I think it's the scope. What do you think?

My buddy has a Remington 700 in 300 WM. He had a POS scope on it and we were able to zero it and get a decent group. Shot that way for about a year. He had a gunsmith mount a new scope while he installed a pretty beefy muzzle brake (not sure which brand). The scope is a Viper PST G2 5-25. We both shoot RPRs, his in 6.5 CM with a Razor 4.5-27 and mine in 308 with Viper PST G2 5-25 and can get sub MOA groups at 100 yds. Neither one of us can get the win mag to hold a group. We can barely keep it on a sheet of paper. We're shooting prone, on the ground, with a bipod and a rear bag at 100 yds. With the brake on it, there's not much more recoil than on my 308, and I can maintain sight picture through recoil to see impacts. I suggested to him that he put the POS scope back on it and we try again this afternoon. If we can hold a group, it would definitely point to the scope in some way, if it can't , it could be the muzzle brake. I've checked everything I can think of except the torque on the rings. Figured the gunsmith should get that right... I don't know what else to try. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike.
Check the rail. Sounds nuts but that happened on my 30.06 Springfield. Scope good, rings good. I was tapping the Scope with a plastic mallet/hammer and just by chance saw the rail move. One set screw broken in the receiver. DAMN!!! Badger rail and top of the line match rings and Scope. Turned out to be the most accurate 30.06 I ever had.

Report back! Curious to know what the problem was. Thanks

I recently had the same problem on a 308. My scope base had two loose screws and once tighten my group size was reduced in half. If your scope base is propertly tighten try a different scope or put that one on a different gun. This will eliminate two variables to your problem. Good luck

Okay, the obvious answer is operator error and normally I'd agree, but in this case I think it's the scope. What do you think?

My buddy has a Remington 700 in 300 WM. He had a POS scope on it and we were able to zero it and get a decent group. Shot that way for about a year. He had a gunsmith mount a new scope while he installed a pretty beefy muzzle brake (not sure which brand). The scope is a Viper PST G2 5-25. We both shoot RPRs, his in 6.5 CM with a Razor 4.5-27 and mine in 308 with Viper PST G2 5-25 and can get sub MOA groups at 100 yds. Neither one of us can get the win mag to hold a group. We can barely keep it on a sheet of paper. We're shooting prone, on the ground, with a bipod and a rear bag at 100 yds. With the brake on it, there's not much more recoil than on my 308, and I can maintain sight picture through recoil to see impacts. I suggested to him that he put the POS scope back on it and we try again this afternoon. If we can hold a group, it would definitely point to the scope in some way, if it can't , it could be the muzzle brake. I've checked everything I can think of except the torque on the rings. Figured the gunsmith should get that right... I don't know what else to try. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike.
Re-cut the crown on the barrel. Switch to Smith Vortex Flash Suppressor true the action, glass bed the action float the barrel. Use Badger Ordnance rings and base. Look at GAPrecision for a list of useful services.

Send said rifle and scope package to me. Please pay for overnight shipping. Thank you!

Tighten it until it strips, back off 1/4 turn. Usually works good.
Also check your loads. At 100 yards, you should use large rifleprimers, not magnum primers. The loss of 200’/second is insignificant versus the benefits derived from less felt recoil

Reactions: iceng
Good point. I've got some spare primer sleeves laying around you may want to try. It's a small ring, like a reloading bushing. Push that into your primer pocket, which then converts it to small primer.

Small primer 300wm. Helps run higher pressure and more velo.

I'd like to add my proverbial two cents. I'm assuming there aren't any iron sights on the rifle. My rationale for asking this is to break the issues down to the most their most basic components of marksmanship and remove the scope from the issue. My comment is regarding the weight of the rounds and the twist rate of the rifle. Are you using a heavy enough round for the twist rate? I was at the range one day, and the fellow shooting next to me was cussing and fuming because he wasn't able to get on paper. I asked him what his twist rate on his AR! He was using 55gr bullets with a 1:7 twist rate. Once he bumped up to 62gr, he got on paper. I would consider this! Unless I missed something, I haven't heard this mentioned in the posts. If I missed this, I apologize and will sign off. Out here!

Like I said, it was just “my two cents.” trying to think outside the box. Brian Litz evidently thought it was worth an entry:

Brian Litz added his “two cents.” He agrees with you Powder_Burns, but doesn't say that over-stabilization “isn't a thing.” It certainly exists. Your statement is a rather blanketed statement.

I just had same problem. New rifle with scope base mounted by factory shot 200 rounds spot on accuracy then went south. I was using same reloads etc. found out scope base screws were loose. Removed scope and base, cleaned screws and applied BLUE loctite, torqued to spec, left overnight and all is great