• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Carb cleaner

Engine 22

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 3, 2008
    KC
    Is it bad voodoo to use automotive carb cleaner to remove carbon fouling in rifle barrels? Seems to work well, just don't know of any ill effects. I have followed up with a copper solvent and a G-96 flush to finish. Any input?

Re: Carb cleaner

I have used the GM product "T.E.C." (Top End Cleaner), for some time with good results as a carbon solvent.

I read an article a few years back on 6mmBr.com suggesting its use as an effective carbon solvent.

After several passes with patches soaked with TEC, followed by dry patches, you are ready for your favorite copper solvent.

Been using the Braklean product for about ten years with
    excellent results.gloves are a must to protect the hands.Resperators strongly recommended as the chemical smell is very strong and prolonged breathing can be dangerous to the health.

I don't believe that carb cleaner will hurt the bore but most carb cleaners are some real bad stuff. I know some of it will turn some plastics into silly putty and ruin most stock finishes very quickly. I have been using GM top engine cleaner for about 5 years now and I like it better than anything that I have tried. It foams up when sprayed in the barrel and it will remove copper and carbon and it has rust inhibitors in it too.

David

Better stock up before GM goes bellyup!
    grin.gif

Have seen the phosphate type finish start to dissappear from straight up carb cleaner when used on M16/M4's. Other than that, it's some potent stuff.....imagine it has killed a few braincells.

The part number for the GM T.E.C. is X-66a. The best stuff I have seen to remove carbon by far. Works great for a rust penetrant also.

Been using it for years on issue rifles, and pistols. Never had a problem with my gats.

Spray carb cleaner will work. Some brands will leave a slightly oily residue, but most will not. I've never had any problems with CRC "Clean-R-Carb" which can usually be found at C-S-K parts stores on sale for $2 a can. As others have said, use caution 'cause it's potent stuff, and always follow up with a light coat of oil or you might wind up with a coat of rust by the next day.

Don't worry about running out of GM Top Engine Cleaner if GM shits the bed. The same stuff is available (under a different name) from Mercury outboard dealers.