• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Carl Zeiss, two thumbs up......

Tripwire

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2006
VA
Not much of an optics guru, but I am a die hard Leupold scope slut. I have a Leica 1200 LRF that has yet to let me down in any way, and now I'm pretty impressed with Zeiss' customer service and warranty program.

To make a short story longer, the journey began this past summer. Being hard on stuff is my nature, and true to form, through no fault of anyone else, I managed to bust the diopter adjustment knob off of my 10X Conquest binos that I've had for a bit more than a few years. There's a small screw in there under that diopter knob, that holds the guts of it together, that I broke clean off in the threads. It's a bitty little screw thread, and I managed somehow to resist the temptation to chuck it up in the Bridgeport to drill it out and retap it. Figured I'd give the warranty a try and I'd be out no more than some stupid money to get 'em fixed, if it came to that.

I contacted Doug at Cameraland NY, where I bought 'em, to get a phone and addy for the warranty dept. He gave me Sanja's email addy and phone number here in VA. She instructed me to write a sweet letter explaining how/what; and I included in the request for service that I also needed to purchase a new nylon carry case to replace the original that got gone somewhere/somehow. I shipped the busted bins to their facility up in Chester, VA.

A couple days after the bins got there back in September, I recieved a phone call from Sheila, IIRC, and she told me they couldn't fix 'em there and had to send them back to Germany. The turn around time was going to be around 8 weeks. I thanked her and settled in for the wait, pretty much putting it out of my mind, and went on hunting/shooting with another pair of bins laying around here.

Was remembering to call up there a few times over the past couple of weeks when I got a chance to make the call just to check on things, and seemed to always forget to do it. Was doing one of those remembering-to-forgets just yesterday when I was trying to find a big doe I lost track of in a thicket at 600ish yards with those crappy 6X that I was slumming around with.

Got home from hunting this evening and my good wife handed me a box from Zeiss that the brown truck had dropped off this afternoon. In the box was a brand new pair of 10X Conquest, nylon carry case and all, invoice marked "germany replaced".

I'm generally not easily impressed, but this sort of thing will do it.......

Re: Carl Zeiss, two thumbs up......

I have heard stories like this about Zeiss which impresses me. I am not sure why I only have an LRF from them. If only Zeiss made an MOA / MOA scope I would buy it without a doubt.

Things like that and and not to mention after you close yor mouth after saying holy! chit! after you look through Zeiss Optics.....is a reason why all my glass now is from Zeiss.

Zeiss and Nightforce are taking the place of my Leupolds.

In the last few days I've returned a new VX3, and sold another VX3 I've had NIB in the cabinet for a while.

The cool part is I never expected this, and damned sure never entertained the notion to demand it.....

The breakage was my fault and I told them that in writing, told them I was prepared to pay for the service, and they instead choose to replace the bins and on their dime. It's not like I'm anyone important, or have tens of thousands of dollars wrapped in repeat customer Zeiss gear...one pair of busted bins, that in my opinion weren't busted all that seriously. A machinist could have fixed 'em with the dilligent use of a drill and tap. I truely expected my old ones back, fixed. They just willingly ate 'em and put me on my merry way with a fresh set.

That simply don't suck for a company willing to take care of a John D. Anybody customer like that.......