• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Carolina Precision Rifles... next question

skep_tic1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
NC
He is building my rifle. He has had my receiver and stock since February. I know it is common for custom rifles to take months. I'm so anxious its crazy. Can you guys remind me how the wait is worth it and how satisfied I'm going to be when he is done.

Re: John Lewis @ Carolina Precision Rifles

For real? Has no one heard of this guy?

He learned under Kenny Jarrett, I heard he does good work, but have heard alot of instances of him dragging his feet, and builds taking forever, you'll just have to stay on him!

I guess. He's telling me it will be before Christmas. That is just a cooter hair longer than average I think.

Ok, next question... This is a Win model 70 build. It's a plain steel receiver with a stainless barrel. John called me today and asked if I want him to put a finish on the rifle. He has gunkote or I can get cerakote. The cerakote is $350 and the gunkote is $250. I wasn't going to get a finish at all. Should I go ahead and let him paint it and which product is best.

$250-$350 is high. Lots of people here can do it for a lot less. Cerakote is the premium product and seems to hold up the best.

Way high, look around, you'll get a better and quicker deal!

I am in the same boat that you are since February. last i new had 16 weeks for the stock a T5a manner and on the barrel krieger barrel. like you say going crazy cant wait.But remember good things come to those how wait.Hope fully any ways right "lol"

Ok, how much is "way high"? He already has the gun. Would I save enough money letting someone else do it to justify packing it up and shipping it again?

No personal experience, but I've seen some of Carolina Precision's rifles. The ones I've seen are very well made.

Precision Rifle and Tool sure does do finishes. But, they are no less expensive than Carolina Precision Rifle is. Unless I can find someone close to me that can do for like $100 and has a good reputation I'm going to let him do it.
I've seen some of CPR's work as well. What I saw was outstanding!

$250.00 for a barreled acton, bottom metal, and bolt is not way high for a legit business with a good reputation to charge. Besides, by the time you add up the cost of shipping both ways with insurance, it will cost more and take longer. Any one doing this work for WAY LESS, is only screwing them selves in the attempt to gain business, and popularity. Unless of course they work out of their garage with no over head, or required FFL.

Roger that...... STR & .257

When I have a rifle built, I try to just forget about it while its being built. That way, I dont get all torqued up about how long its taking! Cause, as you found out, most smiths arent exactly fast. I also tend to only work with smiths I know well and have used in the past.

Take the parts to them, walk away and forget about it until they call. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I have a rifle built, I try to just forget about it while its being built. That way, I dont get all torqued up about how long its taking! Cause, as you found out, most smiths arent exactly fast. I also tend to only work with smiths I know well and have used in the past.

Take the parts to them, walk away and forget about it until they call. :)

</div></div>

Sage advice right here.

I had a barrel job done by John and it to 6 months. My friend had the same and it took him over a year to get his back

Nothing special on the quality of the work for both rifles

Well Mr Shar, thanks for the info. At this point I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm not really in question of the quality of his work. When I took the receiver to him I fondled quite a few of his builds and I was impressed with his work. He is just taking a long time

This thread reminds me of that old cliche that goes something like this; "When building a custom rifle you can only choose two of the following: inexpensive, fast turn or high quality ".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$250.00 for a barreled acton, bottom metal, and bolt is not way high for a legit business with a good reputation to charge. Besides, by the time you add up the cost of shipping both ways with insurance, it will cost more and take longer. Any one doing this work for WAY LESS, is only screwing them selves in the attempt to gain business, and popularity. Unless of course they work out of their garage with no over head, or required FFL. </div></div>

Well stated and 100% correct.

9sig, you're right. John is a great smith. He has kept me in the loop every step of the way. I am positive that when I get my rifle I will be thrilled. My comment only shows my inexperience with having a rifle built. My reason for starting this thread was to talk to other guys about how great its going to be when he is finished. Just trying to get a little reminder that its worth the wait and to stop acting like a kid a week before Christmas.

I drove by his shop 3 days ago. Long as the wind stays under 20mph, your stuff will be safe.
smile.gif

Poacher, that is just wrong.... but funny! You totally caught me off guard with that one.

I disagree on the Cerakote pricing. A barreled action in one color of Cerakote should not cost $350. I have found people that charge that much are out sourcing the work and the price reflects shipping costs and additional markup or they are a big name builder who charges extra just for their name. It will also represent a lot more time as now another shop is involved. Out of respect I would let him finish the rifle but to consumers of Cerakote, try NIC's applicator locator and you will find there are many factory trained legit shops all over the country that will do a very competent coating of a barreled action for a fraction of $350.

I'll put on my flame suit...
This comment comes purely from a perspective of a small business owner, as I don't think it makes a difference whether you're making widgets, building houses, or custom rifles.

It's a matter of man-hours. Pure and simple.
Is it worth it for a guy to wait six months for a rifle build? Perhaps it may take some months for special order components if that's the case, but once all the required components are in hand, it's all about backlog.

It's nice to be in the position to tell someone you have a six month backlog.
As long as they tell you upfront, and you agree to it, no harm- no foul.

Back in the glory days of commercial construction, I was usually booked solid for six months ahead. I knew my customers wouldn't- couldn't- wait, so I politely explained that my reputation of delivering on-time would not be compromised and I'd only piss them off if I agreed to a project that I couldn't provide manpower for- and declined...

As long as the gunsmith- any gunsmith- told you up-front the wait was gonna be "X" number of months, and he's reasonably close to it, it's all good. If not, I'd be pissed. That simple, for me...

That is completely rational and reasonable. Open honest communication. That would be nice once in awhile.

How about the customer who is fully informed that it takes 12-20 weeks to get the components he is requesting and starts blowing up your email and phone at the end of the second week wondering what is taking so long?

I'm already to the point of telling people to order their own stuff then I will put it together for them and they will get there new toy in 2-3 weeks. Once in awhile I get hung out on tooling but as long as I get a reasonable notice I can get what I need pretty quick. It's nice to have JGS in my back yard and PT&G just down the road. I can't even imagine having components in hand and having a 6 month back log. Someday........ Oh well.