• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Carry gun - Your thoughts?

Re: Carry gun - Your thoughts?

1911, Kahr CW45, Kel-Tec P3AT

1911 for accuracy, dependability, and 45 makes a big hole. Rides at my 4, IWB.

Kahr CW45 is compact and very easy to conceal but not so small as to get away from you when you shoot it. Rides at my 4, IWB.

Kel-Tec front pocket in Desantis holster. Always easy to conceal, light weight. Not the most accurate thing in the world but will ALWAYS trump a rock.

Have to stay with the 1911. Tried and true.

5" 1911 (cocked and locked) or G35 (hot). Each conceal easily in a Comp-Tac Minotaur or Crossbreed SuperTuck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eckm87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything besides a glock. Love glocks, but carrying one is near impossible to conceal. I used to carry the 26 but never again. </div></div>

Can't conceal a Glock 26, are you see through?

undertech%20shorts.jpg

Daily concealed carry Sig 229 .40 S&W with 1 extra mag
Back up and casual off duty S&W Model 60 .38 w 2 speed loaders

Charter Arms .44 S/S Bulldog chopped to 2" in a Galco ankle holster. Not the fastest into action, but it's ALWAYS with me. Also 2 extra speed strips.

I daily carry a S&W 442 .38 snubby in a Desantis pocket holster. I bought a Crimson Trace lasergrip and am starting to like it. Shot a 2 1/2" 5 shot group at 20 yards today without using the sights. Not as much confidence as with my 1911, but goes in the pocket in an instant, and 38 caliber plus p's give me plenty of comfort.

Rohrbaugh 9
G19
pm9
sw642

1 must be reliable
2 must blend with clothes for edc
the rohrbaugh is about the same size of my wallet or Iphone.is reliable..
When headed to a high risk high crime area then the g19 comes with me..

sig p238
sig p239
g19
g17
g30
hk45c
1911 commander
1911 full size

those are my go to carry guns pending what i'm wearing and how i am feeling that day

Don't get a Glock! They are nearly impossible to conceal with their near 1 1/2" wide frames! I tried to carry a G36, and ended up trading it in after a week. They are impossible to carry inside the waste unless you get a pair of pants that is a size too big.
wink.gif

Go with an M&P 45c or even an M&P 9C. They are both very easy to carry, and easily fit inside the waste band.

FYI, most LEO & PD are going from the standard Glock to the S&W M&P. There has to be a reason for it.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't get a Glock! They are nearly impossible to conceal with their near 1 1/2" wide frames! I tried to carry a G36, and ended up trading it in after a week. They are impossible to carry inside the waste unless you get a pair of pants that is a size too big.
wink.gif

Go with an M&P 45c or even an M&P 9C. They are both very easy to carry, and easily fit inside the waste band.

FYI, most LEO & PD are going from the standard Glock to the S&W M&P. There has to be a reason for it.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Yeah, because S&W has literally given the pistols away to the department for free. Not knocking the M&Ps, they're a decent gun, but they have their own share of issues, and I definitely know of LE who've carried and ditched the platform already.

What carry guns have you owned?

<span style="color: #FF0000">-Glock 19,17,26,22,27
-Colt Commander, Colt Government
-Sig 229,220,P238
-Kahr PM40
-Browning Hi-Power
-Ruger LCP
-Ruger SP101
-Many others that I cannot remember due to excessive drinking...</span>

What do you believe is the best carry gun and why?

<span style="color: #FF0000">Any gun that you have on you...I know this is a smart ass generic answer but you have to carry something on you for it to be useable. Out of the above I find myself carrying the Ruger LCP and the Sig P238 the most due to comfort and convenience.

My favorite handgun for carry is my Glock 19 as I like the way it shoots and fits my hand...that being said, I find myself carrying the above 2 handguns more often due to comfort and convenience.</span>

I normally carry my Kahr PM45. I carry an extra clip when possible. If the little Kahr cannot be concealed then I carry my North American Arms 22 mag revolver. I like the Kahr for the following reasons:
1. 45 for the knockdown
2. Double action only for round in chamber at all times and no safety to worry about. It is a safe gun but ready always.
3. Stainless for corrosion resistance
4. Small and lightweight
5. Plenty accurate for a carry gun
The little 22 mag is just better than nothing.

When I wear something with a belt: Robar Colt Officer IWB - NP3 will beat all the humidity & sweat Houston has to dish out.
No belt: LCP in the pocket
07-06-09_1317.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, Glock 17.

The main reason being that it's the handgun I've carried most in the past 20 years or so. It's very well known to me.

Being simple to operate, reliable, and having plenty of ammo onboard is not bad either. </div></div>I like the 17, but for me the perfect carry gun is one that is about the size of the G19. I carry mine quite a lot and also my SW40VE. When I go to church I either carry my LCP or P3AT, either in the pocket or on the ankle.
whistle.gif

I usually carry either:
Glock 23 in bladetech IWB
HK P2000 - Crossbreed

looking to start carrying my Ruger LCP due to my dress at work.

What carry guns have you owned?
S&W M66
Sig P226
Glock 19
Sig P220
Sig P239
Glock 30
Sig P220 Carry SAS Gen 2
Glock 36

What do you believe is the best carry gun and why?
I really like the Glock 36, in either a Raven Phantom or a Kramer #3 holster. I'm able to conceal it very well, and it is light enough that I don't notice carrying it. While there have been reports of reliability issues with the 36 (and I hesitated buying it as a result), I've never had any problems.

Carry guns: G19, G33 (.357/40/9mm barrels), G17, Kahr pm9, Ruger SP101...

Best would be the G19. Lighter weight for the capacity. Full grip but still concealable. It also is what I've learned with, trained with, and compete with (ipsc/ipda).

When it's warm out, I'll put the pm9 in a pocket holsters in shorts.

Right now I carry a Smith M&P compact in .40 mainly because it's currently on my department's "approved" off duty carry list and I wasn't particularly impressed with the other options. Although, I must admit it conceals pretty well on my frame and I shoot it better than I do my full size duty handgun.

When I was civilian CCW holder, I carried a G30. I love that little gun, a good balance of ammo capacity, power and controlability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coloshooter7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can see how some Glocks might be difficult to conceal.

1429bgg.jpg

</div></div>

AHAHAHAHAHAHA +1^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's hard to beat an old 19oz Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special.</div></div>

I had one years ago. Man, that was a fullhouse handgun, for sure. When you pulled the trigger, shituff started happening fast!

These days, I am a G36 carrier. The G19 and 17 are good packers also. If you can conceal the 19, the 17 is no problem and controllability goes up.

Carried Colt 1911 behind the right hip for 20 years IWB. Said I'd never get a Glock. Fugly, blocky, wide, & soul-less to boot. And then I handled one with grip reduction, and had to admit that 18 rounds of 9mm on-board in a light-weight 17 was pretty cool.

Daily carry = aluminum CCF-framed Glock 17. Or factory 17 (plastic) with grip reduction by Robar. Or light-weight J-frame. Or one of the BHPs. Or on special days, all of the above.

Glock19 with a Kkm barrel steel guide rod and ghost trigger connector with trijiconnight sights I also polished all metal contact points. I carry it because it is ultra reliable and accurate I can shoot a 2.5 inch group all day at 25 yards with it.

I carry a P229 in a Versamax, sometimes a Kramer scabbard.

I do like to carry the Glock 19 because its smaller, lighter, and conceals easy.

Carried: TP22
PPK
Colt DET. Spec.
Charter Arms 2".38
S&W M60 2"
S&W M60 3"
S&W M681
Colt Python 4"
Sig P230
1911s
BHP

Current: TP22 If you can carry a small wallet you can carry
this. Pocket carry.
Sig 230 Light, flat, corrosion resistant, dead
reliable and enough butt to be very shootable.
Kramer horsehide IWB.
BHP Yaqui slide or original Baker Pancake.

I have carryed a Glock 26 concealed for years and still dig it. Lots of rounds and very handler friendly. I ping 6" steel at 50 yards with it.

For me the G19 is ideal (simple, reliable, grip, mag capacity & price).

I have carried this 9mm:
*G17: A little big for CC (I'm not a big guy and like OWB kydex holsters). Ideal for OC.
*S&W M&P9: A little big for CC. Didn't find it as reliable as Glock on the range.
*S&W M&P9c: Too small. Don't like reloads with it, I hate to open my grip on reloads (little finger). Mag's finger rest should hold 1 or 2 rounds.
*Walther P99 AS - Didn't like the different triger preasures and the decocker.
*HK USP & USP Compact - Safety & slide release too big and too close to each other.

I'll carry a 5" 1911, a 4" M&P 40 but by far my favorite CCW is the glock 19 with a Glock 17 rd mag in it. I think this gun is easy to conceal, easy to shoot and the most reliable thing I have ever owned. It's versatile because I can carry a couple of 33 rd mags in my Go Bag "just in case". I keep one in my truck, one behind my living room couch and a spare one in my safe. I like them that much.

If you're carrying a G19 with a G17 magazine, why not just carry a G17 instead?

Kahr CW series - may not be 'the best' with this crowd, but it does a great job in the ccw role.

I have carried the Glock 17, 19, and 26 with the pierce mag extension. I owned the 17 and 26 at the same time and wanted to sell one to fund another gun. I ended up selling both and buying a 19. I appendix carry so when sitting the 17 dug into my leg, wang and go-nads. The 26 did not dig in but I wanted increased capacity and a longer sight radius so that is why it got sold and the 19 got bought. The 19 digs into my leg and it's very little at that but not the wang and go-nads. l am tall and thin using a $10 Ace holster from the gun show. The butt of the mag prints slightly but I have not had anyone give me any grief. My friends and family did not notice when I asked them. I bought a Wilderness Tactical 5 stitch Instructor nylon belt and it is night and day compared to my old leather belt. I wear this setup year round even while wearing shorts in triple digit weather. I did wear it while roofing a house. I sweat my ass off. The next day my gun was rusted a bit, actually it rusted shut somewhat, but it went away after sending a few rounds down range and then cleaning it. That was the most irritating day I had carrying this setup. Every other day has been fine.

I have also owned a S&W 642 Airweight but the grip was too small for my hands preventing me from hitting my target reliably quickly. I wish I would have kept it to wear while I'm wearing slacks which is maybe once or twice a year at that.

P226
1911 5"

I am not the biggest guy 6' 180#s a good holster and belt will go a long ways. (Matt Del Fatti). That's what I carry year round.

I dropped the P226 from the line up long ago. I have heard the stories about missing the safety on a 1911. I have trained and trained with that platform. I also test my mags and ammo combos.

No matter what you carry, train and test what you have. Mags are cheap if your ass is on the line. Don't take for granted that a new mag will work with your combo.

I have been though lots of carry guns over the years, but have settled into a 1911 Commander Bobtail.

Size, weight, concealability, great trigger, great looks, accurate, reliable (never have had a malfunction) 45 ACP +P CorBon with 165gr Barnes TAC-X, extra mags are thin and fit in my pocket better.

480_Ed_Brown_45_After_1_-_Copy.jpg

I went from carrying a 1911 to a Glock 26 for two big reasons being weight and comfort. I found it difficult to wear the 1911 for 10-12 hours a day. It is a beautiful gun though!