• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carrying weapon> Duty to Inform...

HeavyAssault

Dog-Face One-Horse Pony-Soldier (AVN RGT)
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2011
    Florida
    So under the aspect of carrying your weapon there's "Duty to Inform". I tend to travel through several states so I read up on what my "requirements" are for each state. I'll make note of the states that require you to inform the LEO you have a weapon. I will not inform in states were the law is clear I'm not required to inform unless asked.

I've read were people always state they are carrying while in their vehicle when their state law clearly says they don't have to yet they inform out of "respect".

Are you more likely to not inform as allowed by law, or do you inform out of consideration/respect for LEO??

Reactions: 338dude
    Feel good compliance when not required is silly in my opinion and makes you part of our government overreach problem. I see it often on my local in state gun forum claasifieds. Folks requiring all kinds of silly sale requirements with over and above feel good stipulations to sell a firearm not required by law. It's akin to driving 50 mph to be that much more compliant to the 55mph speed limit. It accomplishes nothing but establishing subserviance on a level higher than required.

I don't say a thing, but considering it's rare that you can't see a rifle or shotgun sitting in the truck I assume they can see for themselves.

Then again I live where I can leave guns in the truck, without worry. I have an AR that lives in the truck, a pistol that lives in the truck, and generally have random other guns hanging out depending on what I'm up to.

I have only been stopped once and handed the officer my DL and CCL. He handed me my CCL and said thank you. I always like to keep everyone's hands on the table when dealing with LEO.

VooDoo
    I hand both DL and CCW to the officer.
    The CCW is the "I'm not a felon" indicator.
    That was the advice I got from a buddy who is LE. They will know as soon as they run your info so its best to make everyone comfortable right up front. The twice Ive been stopped they've always said 'Thanks'.

I also keep my hands where they are clearly visible.

I understand “don’t talk to cops, don’t volunteer information” and all that jazz. They aren’t your friend. True but you got pulled over for a violation, you have ZERO idea who this person is, be honest and it will get you a king way and just inform you have a CW.

Big difference between a traffic stop where you violated the law already and the FBI showing up on your doorsteps without cause.

Some people make it hard on themselves for no reason.

That was the advice I got from a buddy who is LE. They will know as soon as they run your info so its best to make everyone comfortable right up front. The twice Ive been stopped they've always said 'Thanks'.

I also keep my hands where they are clearly visible.
    I have a "hotrod" truck with roll cage coming through back window. It sounds a little roudy. I've never been ticketed for anything in that thing... but have been stopped an honest 30+ times. They always make up some bullshit story, but the truth is that they doubt it will be insured or expect I'm up to no good. LOL

Being an old white guy that's polite, who doesn't get all pissy when it happens, and hands them the license, registration, proof of insurance, and CCW generally makes it possible to be back cruising down the road in no time.

I have a "hotrod" truck with roll cage coming through back window. It sounds a little roudy. I've never been ticketed for anything in that thing... but have been stopped an honest 30+ times. They always make up some bullshit story, but the truth is that they doubt it will be insured or expect I'm up to no good. LOL

Being an old white guy that's polite, who doesn't get all pissy when it happens, and hands them the license, registration, proof of insurance, and CCW generally makes it possible to be back cruising down the road in no time.
    Pics? I have a mild “hot rod” truck build as well. No roll cage as it’s just heads, cam, stall, street truck mainly but when you drive it through quiet neighborhood or towns I get pulled over in it.

Big fight at the local Walmart a few years ago....cops showed up and several of us who had witnessed the whole fracas hung out to bear witness. Cop asks me for ID - I provided him with my DL which he handed to another cop while he asked me questions about what I saw, etc. Other cop comes back a minute later and asks me nicely using my first name if I am armed. Apparently in this State yer CCL is tied to your DL. I tell them I always carry where legal even ay home.

Cop #1 asks me where my CCW is located on my body and I point at my midsection and say appendix. He says "Well concealed Sir."

We finish with my statement, he hands me his card and the dirt bags go to jail. If I'm being stopped and questioned about stuff and I suspect I'm a suspect or being sized up my entire demeanor is different. But letting LEO k now I am armed just makes everyone more comfortable and generally I'm all about everybody being relaxed and chill. It get's me nowhere, in my Life experience, to be belligerent, difficult, evasive, or withhold information so long as it's relevant to the conversation. I respect Police Officers having had many in my Family and having trained MA with the local Sherriff and Deputies.

Most cops are not assholes and not trying to fuck me over in my opinion.

VooDoo

I understand “don’t talk to cops, don’t volunteer information” and all that jazz. They aren’t your friend. True but you got pulled over for a violation, you have ZERO idea who this person is, be honest and it will get you a king way and just inform you have a CW.

Big difference between a traffic stop where you violated the law already and the FBI showing up on your doorsteps without cause.

Some people make it hard on themselves for no reason.
    Looking at it from another perspective, maybe it's better to say nothing if not required by law. I've had LEO's ask me to unload a firearm during a stop. That's a shitty situation. I'd rather not handle it.

This. Although in MI, this step is usually redundant since I believe CPL status will pop up when the plates are run.

Reactions: Maggot

I am not going to dig on your comment, it may sound like I am but I am not.....I want to comment on something you said as so many people think they know how it works, but really don't.

They already have a real good idea on who is in your car. Sit and think, how often are you driving another persons car. If you have a company car that is on that companies name. Coming back registered to xyz corp out of here there or yonder. If it is a personal vehicle it will be comes back as a 2017 honda accord registered to a fpgt out of that place over there no warrants. And that is no warrants ANYWHERE. If you have a history it is right there as well. Warrants come in all forms, there are non extraditable warrants, and in that case you really do make things worse if you get stupid. People don't know this. You acted this way over a non extraditable warrant, now you are arrested for resisting when before you would have been on your way.

Not knowing is where so many things can go wrong.

If you hand that card over the next question I am going to have is are you currently armed. If you are in an area where you don't have to give that info don't give it.

I like that video of the guy with the feds on his door step, you need to take great care, and the only issue I have is not taking his hands out of his pockets, really what is the big deal, if it will help defuse what is going on and take some tension away why the hell fight that even if you are "in the right".

There are things you do need to tell, and answer truthfully, know what those are......and just be nice. Nice and calm is really all it takes.

So many people, people of all walks of life are so on edge when the lights blink in your back window. If you have not done anything what is the worst that can happen, a couple hundred $$ ticket for this that or the other. MOST of our people give out a LOT of warnings. Unless something is really sideways, those plates are 6 months out of date kind of thing. I stopped you two weeks ago for that tail light you had time to have it fixed. Unless you are really being so close to the stupid side the worst thing is a ticket, and the insurance issues that go with it.

You be defensive and push back just makes me think something funny is going on.

in Texas with Constitutional carry I'm not sure how it plays out if you don't have a CC.

If you have not done anything what is the worst that can happen, a couple hundred $$ ticket for this that or the other.

That's kind of what I used to think too....

I assume you followed the story about the rogue cop who was planting drugs in people's cars at traffic stops when they couldn't find anything to give them a ticket for? With the full knowledge of their corrupt buddies.

Oh and when the police chief was confronted about it by the local prosecutor, their response was .... wait for it....
    "Why the hell are you looking at the body camera footage?"...

Over a hundred people had their lives destroyed by that guy and what do you know... the "justice" system doesn't really seem interested in "justice"...

I've watched enough stuff put out by civil rights groups to know that the "few bad apples" regularly totally ruin people's lives, brutalize people, cause them huge financial losses just because they want to get their rocks off being jackboots... and then all then rest of the department seems to look the other way....

There was also one town in Texas that was literally using their police force as bandits with badges and trying to claim "drug proceeds" to target anyone somewhat poor or oppressed coming through and steal everything they had and leave them on the side of the road. Oh and after years in court the corrupt cops got to keep all their payouts, the corrupt city got to keep all their loot and the courts said, that wasn't very nice, please don't do it anymore...

Just like the police claim they have to be all on guard because they never know who might be a violent bad guy, so the citizens have to be on guard because sure most interactions are probably going to end with you being relieved of money because policing for profit IS what traffic stops are all about, BUT you never know if you are going to be running into one of those evil violent abusive cops that will try to destroy your life or murder you just because they like brutalizing the population.

Last edited:
    602A935E-CD7E-4709-859C-64EF43A41AF0.jpeg

I’ve been pulled over for speeding three times since I’ve had my CCL. All three times I’ve handed the officer my DL and CCL. All three times I’ve been told thank you, have a good day. One officer even told me, after I told him I was on my way to the gun store, “We’re not looking for guys like you. Have a nice day.”

One of my sources I will use to double check:

Reactions: atomic41
    This is America. Everyone should assume Everyone else is armed.

I don't understand why people are so eager to bend over a barrel. Maybe they think once the social credit system is implemented they'll get extra brownie points for being such a good citizen.

Several years ago I was heading to the San Juan late at night and was driving faster that I should have. Just outside of Lybrook got pulled over by a county Sheriff. Show him my DL and CCL and he asks what weapon I was had in the vehicle which was a couple. We start conversing on what weapons we each preferred which turns into a 20 minute conversation. Let's me off with a warning and recommends I take it a little slower.

When I am stopped, 2 times in the last 25 years I hand my DL and CCW permit. I live in Texas they ask if I am armed, I answer yes. They run me and say have a good day, how you interact with LE goes along way with how the stop will play out. If I am pulled over it is because I was breaking the law, I will pay the ticket if they give it to me and go about my business. I have never been pulled over when I haven’t been speeding,.

I don't understand why people are so eager to bend over a barrel. Maybe they think once the social credit system is implemented they'll get extra brownie points for being such a good citizen.
    I think some of US just like to get along and go along until it's time to *not* get along and go along . It costs me nothing to play nice and be friendly and outgoing....compliant with Police who are doing a shit job and have enough stress dealing with dirt bags. I don't remember ever in my Life getting extra stuff for being tight, closed lipped, evasive, non compliant to authority. I have gotten a lot of goodies by being nice and cooperative even when I had a p[erfect right to be otherwise.

Some of US are yet nice people. My Dad always told me (and proved to me) that kind and gentle people are the tough ones as it takes a lot of personal integrity to be nice. Anyone can be otherwise.

VooDoo

Most cops are not assholes and not trying to fuck me over in my opinion.

Just like a cop walking up to your car doesn’t know what they’re about to encounter, you have zero idea who is going to pop into your open window.

You absolutely could get Barney Fife who’s going to apologize profusely and trip over himself back to the car to get you back on your merry way. But you don’t know that

You could also get some new hotshot who’s trying to make a name for himself. All he needs is a shadow of a hint of probable cause(which he already has because you’re already pulled over) to shove you into hell. Even if you aren’t doing anything wrong, if his supervisor hears “Something just doesn’t seem quite right, to me”. You. Are. Fucked. I don’t need to tell anyone here that civil asset forfeiture is real and you have almost no chance of getting any semblance of justice

Or, even worse. You could get a psych ward in uniform who can put the best personality forward and lure you into any of a number of traps. If you show the slightest bit of “getting out of line” all you can do is your best to hang in for the ride. And if you get roughed up for no reason, what are you going to do? Have the state investigate itself? Good luck.

The only thing I can say about getting pulled over is to be as polite as you can be, present your papers, don’t fucking say anything you don’t have to, and hope for the best

When I am stopped, 2 times in the last 25 years I hand my DL and CCW permit. I live in Texas they ask if I am armed, I answer yes. They run me and say have a good day, how you interact with LE goes along way with how the stop will play out. If I am pulled over it is because I was breaking the law, I will pay the ticket if they give it to me and go about my business. I have never been pulled over when I haven’t been speeding,.

At least in this part of Texas they are all setup with cameras and scanners and automatic connections to the back end database.
    Within a few moments of pulling up behind you while driving, they will know if you have a carry licence, if your insurance and registration is up to date, who you are supposed to be and if anybody wants you for anything.

So I'll usually just answer any questions they are already going to know the answers to.

In my experience they are usually still always going to give you a ticket because....
    Let's just say one of the city managers some time ago was caught on hot mike threatening the local police chief that if the local PD didn't get out and write more tickets, they would start "downsizing" the local police department...

Depending on the details, it can often be the best idea to simply be polite and state information they can already get pretty easily or already know and try your best to deescalate the situation. Even if you run into a raging asshole, they could be tired and just want to get their shift done with and if you are pleasant and polite, they might just not feel like bothering being rough.

If nothing else, it will play a lot better in your civil suit if the jury sees you as the polite cooperative, decent person.

This doesn't mean you can't stand on your rights, but it does suggest you don't purposely be a dick about it when you do.

I try to be as polite as possible because I don't really want to start anything going downhill.

You obviously need a "Macks Creek Law" (which was 45%). In Missouri it is now illegal for any municipality to derive more than 10% of it's revenue from fines. To me that seems about right, as anything above that is nothing but "revenuing" at the expense of justice. Incentivizing municipalities to fine citizens is total bullshit, and an example of government for its own sake rather than the sake of the citizens.

So under the aspect of carrying your weapon there's "Duty to Inform". I tend to travel through several states so I read up on what my "requirements" are for each state. I'll make note of the states that require you to inform the LEO you have a weapon. I will not inform in states were the law is clear I'm not required to inform unless asked.

I've read were people always state they are carrying while in their vehicle when their state law clearly says they don't have to yet they inform out of "respect".

Are you more likely to not inform as allowed by law, or do you inform out of consideration/respect for LEO??
    In Texas 'protocol' is that you hand your DL and CHL to the cop if he wants to ID you. This is so that you don't get out there in public saying "I HAVE A GUN!" and causing a potential problem. Same thing with traffic stops.

That said I don't think they can write you a ticket just for not giving over your CHL. That said if you get pulled over and the cop asked 'are there any weapons in the car' and you lie about it---you can get into trouble for lying to the cops. So in a way there is a duty to inform I guess.

Also if you start being a dick about it the cop can easily turn that warning ticket into a real ticket in no time flat. I haven't been pulled over much, but generally speaking if you are straight forward and respectful they will be too. Unless you are doing something totally stupid (like driving 100mph weaving through traffic or anything where you put other's safety at risk) odds are they will have mercy on you for the most part.

Reactions: Bender
    You obviously need a "Macks Creek Law" (which was 45%). In Missouri it is now illegal for any municipality to derive more than 10% of it's revenue from fines. To me that seems about right, as anything above that is nothing but "revenuing" at the expense of justice. Incentivizing municipalities to fine citizens is total bullshit, and an example of government for its own sake rather than the sake of the citizens.

After a huge amount of abuses and a big public outcry Texas actually did put into law something exactly like that.

So guess how much each city puts in their budget for revenue from traffic stops.... exactly the legal maximum HA!
    But of course there are other ways around it, because then they sneak in other stuff like "court fees" and "surcharges" and such that they shift around to other entities and such.

It also makes them more likely to want to find something else they can get you for that is a secondary thing and not subject to the caps.

In the end I think the best thing to completely end policing for profit is to say that ALL fines, court costs, fees, surcharges and any and all other money generated by a government agency or an actor acting on behalf or in contract with any government or law enforcment agency or government entity, from any court case or law enforcement action or civil action has to get turned over to the federal government, earmarked specifically and only to pay down the federal debt.

That would put the brakes on policing for profit and all this asset seizure in a big hurry, as then nobody would be getting any money from it, rather it goes into the nice big black hole the politicians keep digging and nobody in financially tempted to oppress their fellow citizens.

That's kind of what I used to think too....

I assume you followed the story about the rogue cop who was planting drugs in people's cars at traffic stops when they couldn't find anything to give them a ticket for? With the full knowledge of their corrupt buddies.

Oh and when the police chief was confronted about it by the local prosecutor, their response was .... wait for it....
    "Why the hell are you looking at the body camera footage?"...

Over a hundred people had their lives destroyed by that guy and what do you know... the "justice" system doesn't really seem interested in "justice"...

I've watched enough stuff put out by civil rights groups to know that the "few bad apples" regularly totally ruin people's lives, brutalize people, cause them huge financial losses just because they want to get their rocks off being jackboots... and then all then rest of the department seems to look the other way....

There was also one town in Texas that was literally using their police force as bandits with badges and trying to claim "drug proceeds" to target anyone somewhat poor or oppressed coming through and steal everything they had and leave them on the side of the road. Oh and after years in court the corrupt cops got to keep all their payouts, the corrupt city got to keep all their loot and the courts said, that wasn't very nice, please don't do it anymore...

Just like the police claim they have to be all on guard because they never know who might be a violent bad guy, so the citizens have to be on guard because sure most interactions are probably going to end with you being relieved of money because policing for profit IS what traffic stops are all about, BUT you never know if you are going to be running into one of those evil violent abusive cops that will try to destroy your life or murder you just because they like brutalizing the population.

The key word in your story is rogue. Bad people are everywhere. And yes if specific people go bad it can really be a mess. Here locally we have had a couple get out of prison on wrong convictions. The state handed them a big fat check, not sure any amount can buy a life back. So yes I do agree there are bad people at all walks of life, we only have to look at our so called "elected leaders" for solid proof of that.

It is a hard line to follow some times, it is a little like the movie said, you can approach life like everyone is your enemy or everyone is your friend....I am not sure I would go as far as friend, but neutral sounds better. I think you set yourself up for a pretty horrid life if you go through thinking everyone is bad. You would be very alone. Childhood friends change, spouse, kids people change.....if you figure they are all "bad apples" you will be very alone, I don't want to live that way.

That does not mean I will great you with open arms, it means I will always have a question.

I got ticketed once for a pissy stop sign incomplete stop in my home Village. They call that "Failure to Yield" which resulted in a fine, points and I had to take a fucking online class. I offered my Lic. and CC card to be polite.
    WI is a not required state and next time I will not offer. Just takes that variable out of the equation if you get a officer that is not keen on armed citizens. Who knows why I did not get a warning. could be the cop was on a revenue generating mission.

i've been pulled over twice with guns in the car. they asked and i said yes there are. after friendly banter, both times i still got the ticket...

i don't think it is the best idea to tell or show them you have a carry permit unless they ask. like the guy posted up above, i really don't want the cop taking my gun or have him or me empty it for either of our 'safety.' the more you handle and mess with a gun the higher the chances of something going wrong and i don't want that.

Reactions: Makinchips208
    "traffic stops" are nothing more than state sponsored armed robbery. same applies to most other government "inspections". drug busts same,same. i have more chance of being killed by a gov leo than i do by a 13% inner city drug dealer. i don't go into their hood.

I have a clean driving record I drive like an old fart because the mileage is better, I was pulled over for using my blinker and properly making a turn I guess? Gave the guy my DL and Carry permit and he put a gun to my head and told me to hand him my ccw.....that’s going to be a big fuck you from me dawg, you pull me out and take it.

He disappeared for a while and threw my CCW and magazine at me yelling about “cop killing bullets” no warning no nothing.

Looking at it from another perspective, maybe it's better to say nothing if not required by law. I've had LEO's ask me to unload a firearm during a stop. That's a shitty situation. I'd rather not handle it.
    Boy, that's kinda stupid on the LEO's part to ask you to unload it because at that point your hands are going onto your weapon and that's not good for either party IMO. Best, again IMO, to let sleeping dogs lie. If you were up to no good, that gives you a bigger head start...again, stupid on LEO's part.

If one is a threat then the LEO should ask you set the gun down (and I'm assuming at that point his gun is drawn).

Last edited:
    Reactions: Oldloser
    "traffic stops" are nothing more than state sponsored armed robbery. same applies to most other government "inspections". drug busts same,same. i have more chance of being killed by a gov leo than i do by a 13% inner city drug dealer. i don't go into their hood.

I know of a woman that got stopped for going 25 over. She was given a ticket and sent on her way. Not 20min later she T-boned an old chevy farm truck, remember with the gas tank behind the seats. 3 dead people because of "state sponsored armed robbery".

I have a feeling the old farmers wife has a different view, I think the farmers daughter that lost her son has a different view.

I have a clean driving record I drive like an old fart because the mileage is better, I was pulled over for using my blinker and properly making a turn I guess? Gave the guy my DL and Carry permit and he put a gun to my head and told me to hand him my ccw.....that’s going to be a big fuck you from me dawg, you pull me out and take it.

He disappeared for a while and threw my CCW and magazine at me yelling about “cop killing bullets” no warning no nothing.

Here that would get you fired, in real short order. Lots of times that kind of.....mentality.....is found in the academy. Even with the shortages we have now the talk, this might not be good fit for you happens quite often.

Reactions: Oldloser
    I know of a woman that got stopped for going 25 over. She was given a ticket and sent on her way. Not 20min later she T-boned an old chevy farm truck, remember with the gas tank behind the seats. 3 dead people because of "state sponsored armed robbery".

I have a feeling the old farmers wife has a different view, I think the farmers daughter that lost her son has a different view.
    Do they blame Chevy, the farmer for buying the truck, Henry Ford for making personal vehicles affordable to most or the bitch that hit them? Maybe it was the County's fault for putting the road there?

More correctly:
    If she hadn't have gotten stopped she would have been long past the point of the collision when the old farm truck happened to go into the intersection.
    Or if the traffic stop had lasted a minute longer the old truck wouldn't have been there.
    Or if the traffic stop had lasted a minute less, the old truck wouldn't have been there.

When you start playing with causality, things don't always be like you think.
    A single second or a couple of them, more or less on the time progression, could mean the difference between living, dying, being injured or being completely oblivious & you have no clue about it all unless all the things happen to line up wrong and you are on the x when it all intersects.

In that case it would have been impossible for humans at the time to have calculated the outcome and as such it's not really worth playing with.

Then of course Automobile makers have a long history of not wanting to fix issues because death and injury claims are cheaper to fight / pay by a small margin than fixing things. So had the truck not been designed like crap, there may also have been only minor injuries.

Here that would get you fired, in real short order. Lots of times that kind of.....mentality.....is found in the academy. Even with the shortages we have now the talk, this might not be good fit for you happens quite often.
    This was a very small department full of geriatrics and wildly obese middle aged guys.

I have a CCW app that tells me all you need to know in every state. Well worth the $1 per year and it constantly updates. My one and only experience with giving the Trooper my DL with permit ended with her disarming me, writing me a ticket and then giving me my pistol with the mags and guns back separately, what a fool. And this was me just trying to be honest and forthright. I won't make that mistake again telling when I wasn't required or asked. It helps to know for sure especially with some LEO's on their power trips.......

saw a rather suppressed study of accident causation. speed is not a factor. leading causes: impaired driving,failure to yield right of way and more lately distracted driving (AKA cell phones). high speed yields increased injury severity not causation or frequency. speed laws are/were a major source of income for many jurisdictions and a perfect excuse for police harassment,abuse and intimidation-their main job. obey,obey,obey! police have NO statutory obligation to protect or defend anything or anyone.

This sort of bullshit is why I wouldn’t want to tell em. Unfortunately, it says right on my permit that I have to, and it’s tied to my DL. I drive a newer company truck so they don’t know who they’re going to find inside it when they walk up. Haven’t been pulled over since I got my permit but I’m afraid of who walks up. Could be a sheriff deputy that teaches ccw classes and it’s the “not a felon” card, or it could be an asshole that sees “he’s got a gun!” More and more I think you’re becoming more likely to encounter the latter. That’s how you get shot.

Reactions: Bender