• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

case cleaning equipment question

BobC

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Maine
My old tumbler finally gave up after years of slow but faithful service. What should I replace it with? I would like to keep it as close to $100.00 as possible. I probably average about 100-200 rounds a month so I don't need something real big.

Re: case cleaning equipment question

Ultrasonic or Stainless Tumbeling is the way to go... if u can afford the rotary tumbler i would say thats the best out of them all, but with the budget stated, i would say an ultrasonic cleaner will fit your purposes just nicely.

Check out the stainless steel media threads and pictures here on the Hide. It is a little bit pricier than your budget but it works great and once you get the media and tumbler all you ever need to buy after that is dish washing soap and Lemishine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My old tumbler finally gave up after years of slow but faithful service. What should I replace it with? I would like to keep it as close to $100.00 as possible. I probably average about 100-200 rounds a month so I don't need something real big. </div></div>

May I ask what your OLD tumbler was! If its a Thumlers just buy a replacement motor for about $58 and new drive belt for $6.

Terry

I use 0000 steel wool on the out side of the necks and a old bore brush inside of the necks. VERY inexpensive and faster than a tumbler, about 10 min per 50 rounds.

My low volume brass I don't even tumble, I just wipe them down with a Krazy Kloth and occasional wipe with 00 or 0000 steel wool. The local Publix grocery carries them, as well as better reloading shops everywhere.

I just picked up a Lyman model 2200 for $111 shipped to my door from Optics 4 U. It is not a small tumber but not a large tumbler either. It seemed to me to be a good compromise, heavy duty motor with a medium size tub. It has the autoflo feature which some people don't like but I think it works well.

My old tumbler was an old rock polisher my father cobbled together out of parts back in the late 70's. I had been cleaning cases with it since the mid 80's. It has long since payed for itself.
The stainless media cleaning looks great. I think I might save a bit more and go that route.

It would be the better option to go with based on the results.

I would have gone this option, however, shipping prices of a thumlers to australia, with 5lb of media, was looking to be a major pita... i would have done it if i could have

I have an ultrasonic unit that works well for me.

Ultrasonic cleaner. You can pick a machine up at Habor Frieght for 80 dollars. Buy a cleaner Citrusnox. You are set. Cleans your brass in about 12 minutes.