• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case prep--tumblers

Do-nothing

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 29, 2019
Hello guys,

Setting up my press and getting the things I need to start reloading. Starting to look at case prep tools. I think I want to go with the wet tumblers as it seems they clean better. Not necessarily opposed to dry. What do you folks use and why? I'm concerned that the wet tumblers seem to have hit-or-miss durability. Anybody know anything about MJR tumblers? They seem to be well made but not as convenient as a Hornady/RCBS/etc. I would appreciate your thoughts and guidance.

Hello guys,

Setting up my press and getting the things I need to start reloading. Starting to look at case prep tools. I think I want to go with the wet tumblers as it seems they clean better. Not necessarily opposed to dry. What do you folks use and why? I'm concerned that the wet tumblers seem to have hit-or-miss durability. Anybody know anything about MJR tumblers? They seem to be well made but not as convenient as a Hornady/RCBS/etc. I would appreciate your thoughts and guidance.

I use both wet and dry tumblers. The wet tumbler does indeed do a much better job at cleaning as it will get the inside of the cases and primer pockets clean where dry tumblers just get those area clean as most of the cleaning is from the cases rubbing against each other. But . . . not getting the inside of a case really clean is just what is wanted for those who like come carbon layer to be left in the neck, which acts like a lubricant allowing bullets to seat more easily that helps with more consistent low concentricity. Of course, when one wet tumbles and whats good easy and consistent seating, one can lube the necks before seating.

When I shoot with my precision rifle, my cases never touch the ground and so stay rather clean. Therefore, dry tumbling does all I require for my precision reloading. For my other guns, the brass goes onto the ground and tend to get really dirty. So wet tumbling for the really dirty brass is the better way to go . . . especially for any range brass one might pick up to use.

I use wet tumbler without the pins.

Only practical part of cleaning is enough to not damage the dies or chamber. Anything past that (shiny brass) is purely cosmetic. I don’t even worry about cleaning brass that doesn’t hit the ground. Just wipe it off with rag.

I use wet for simplicity. Let it run for 20min, then leave in dryer or outside while at work. Size. Again for 10 min to get wax off. Leave out again. Done

I have 7 saum brass with 17 firings that has yet to be cleaned.
Wipe off the cases and brush inside of necks.
Done.

I absolutely would not go the wet tumbling with pins.
Absolutely spotless does nothing positive.

Reactions: 47guy
Been using a lyman auto flo for about 15 years with medium grain rice and a few strips of paper towels. Gets the soot of the necks and the dirt off the cases, which is all I need it to do. Keeps crap out of the sizing die. 30-45 minutes gets it done for me. I deprime after tumbling, don’t have to pick media out of primer pockets, using a case prep center to clean pockets anyway.

Frankford Arsenal Rotary with stainless chips here. Works great. I deprime my cases before tumbling. Water with a couple squirts of dawn. Let it run for about an hour. Drain nasty water and refill with fresh water. Then run for about 20 mins with a half a squirt of Dawn. Clean as can be. I dont need showroom shine and I dont see a real difference between leaving them for one hour or four.

I started to go down that rabbit hole of obtaining that perfect shine. Then quickly got out of it.

Most of my shooting is pistol--9mm/45acp. Do shoot some 556 and 6.5. Like you guys, would probably not try and get the 6.5 squeaky clean. Anybody had any problems with their wet tumblers or experience with MJR?

Wet no pins is the ticket for most people.
I use wet, dry, pins etc. Mostly just wet.

Keep it simple.

Its part of a process that starts as soon as you fire the round the first time. Or depends on how you buy your brass.

In other words how you shoot and source your brass will play a part in your decision.

I use corn cob dry media, treated with some shiny-cleany agent out of the jug or renewed with Lyman Turbo-Brite or similar, in a 40-year-old Lyman vibratory cleaner. Leave even the dirtiest brass in it for 90 minutes and it's clean and shiny. Lasts for... well, a really long time, especially when "renewed" periodically with a capful or two of the Lyman stuff.

I don't care if my primer pockets are shiny and I really don't care if the inside of the case is shiny. A guy I know polished some of my 6.5CM brass with SS pins in some wetness thing. Looked like it had been sandblasted.

Whatever works. Used to load 12 and 20 gauge skeet shells 10-12 times until they split or the crimp blew off and they shot just fine nasty....

Thanks. I like things clean but I have a hard time getting anal about the inside of the case. Unless the carbon prevents a full load of power...

Just started with re/hand loading myself but been using a double can rock tumbler I bought at Harbor Freight for less than $60 and steel pin media with dish soap and a tiny amount of Lemishine. I've only tumbled pistol brass (9mm and 45ACP) so far, but the cases come out looking like new, primer pockets included. I use a Lee universal decapping die to remove primers before tumbling. After, I set them out on a towel in the back yard in the shade and they dry really quickly but it's hot and dry now here in UT.

The longevity of the tumbler has yet to be seen but for the price, I figured I couldn't lose and so far it's doing just fine (about 500 cases cleaned so far), no signs of issues.

IMG_1353.jpg

I dry media tumble, keeps it simple and I don’t have to try to dry cases.

- Fired cases come out the ammo box and get tumbled while I’m working on other things.
- Use a rolling media separator
- Do all case prep work, knocked the large crusties from the primer pockets with a cordless drill pocket cleaner tool among that, don’t need to be super clean in my experience.
- Back in the tumbler to clean the sizing wax and brass shavings from prep work while i do other things.
- Seperate with rolling separator again, check/clear flash holes with small tool.
- Brush inside of necks, to make sure no media is stuck especially if inside of necks was lubed for the expander if used.
- Load

I don’t worry about perfect primer pockets, don’t worry about the inside of cases, and have had enough problems with spotless clean necks that I prefer them not perfectly clean.

My first $69 Hornady tumbler finally gave up the ghost after 12 years and many thousands of cases

I have had a Rebel 17 from Stainless Tumbling for a few years. I can use it wet with pins for my dirtiest brass or use it dry with rice or buckwheat when I don't need an "ultimate" clean. I find myself doing the latter most often with no drying time required. It seems to be a quality machine. Several of my friends have been using them for many years.

From the range, I run them in dry corn cob for a half hour or so. Cleans the necks and shoulders up and keeps my dies clean.

Work my brass then SS pins in hot water/Dawn/shine.

So far, so good. No issues yet.