• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cast Iron Skillets

You know the "rough finish" has its benefits.

I think the Lodge cleans a little easier than the Smithy.

If Im cooking something like fried cabbage with a sauce I know will glaze either the added surface of the rough finish on the Lodge produces a better non stick surface (counter intuitive), perhaps better seasoning pockets? Hot water and a scrub brush clean it right up.

On the fine finished Smithy it "carmelizes" materials more and they stick in the center of the pan requiring just a bit more cleaning effort.

For "crisping" fried eggs though....the smooth finished Smithy creates a great "crunchy" edge.
You are correct. In my experience the Lodges hold more seasoning layers than the higher quality, older, smoother brands due to all the peaks and valleys in the surface. The valleys fill in while your spatula scrapes across the peaks. However, once a smooth pan gets proper polymerization from the oils there’s nothing better or more durable.

I can't get into all the 'molecular-ity' of it, but the 'seasoning' is changing the fats from 'long chain' to 'short cable' or something along that line. It has to be heated up above a certain point, where it changes from a 'liquid' to a 'solid'. It is the layers of this "change" that is the seasoning.

There are some 'gooder' oils/fats to use, and some 'badder' oils/fats to use. That right there is a contentious issue, and will create more discussion than MOA vs 9mm barroom brawls.

And everybody knows that the only thing that is better than Pork Fat is a .45,,,,,

Look at Lodge, american made, cheap, and they work. We just switched to all cast iron a few months ago.

Modern cheap Lodge is garbage and pain in the ass to get started using as compared to something like Stargazer or Smithy

I can't get into all the 'molecular-ity' of it, but the 'seasoning' is changing the fats from 'long chain' to 'short cable' or something along that line. It has to be heated up above a certain point, where it changes from a 'liquid' to a 'solid'. It is the layers of this "change" that is the seasoning.

There are some 'gooder' oils/fats to use, and some 'badder' oils/fats to use. That right there is a contentious issue, and will create more discussion than MOA vs 9mm barroom brawls.

And everybody knows that the only thing that is better than Pork Fat is a .45,,,,,

Polymerization.

Same thing tung oil and linseed oils do on my gun stocks.

Ok, I've gotten a lot of info and suggestions from this thread, so let me pose another question.

What is the best fats, or oils to season a skillet with, and why.

I have used flax seed oil, and grape seed oil, and haven't had real good luck with either one. The finish looks good, but if it sets around for a while it gets sticky.

Too much oil, wrong temperature, not hot long enough?

Your ideas..............

Ok, I've gotten a lot of info and suggestions from this thread, so let me pose another question.

I have used flax seed oil, and grape seed oil, and haven't had real good luck with either one. The finish looks good, but if it sets around for a while it gets sticky.

Your ideas..............
Not hot enough.

If it is still sticky, then it is still an 'oil'. It needs to get its chains broken, in order to harden/solidify into the coating that you want.

Compare if you will, "aluminum". That stuff is pretty soft, right? But oxidize it, and it becomes one of the hardest things that we use in industry. Aluminum Oxide is what the vast majority of grinding wheels are made of, for grinding steels. (not to be confused with silicon-carbide or anything of that sort) The oil changing status after being heated ABOVE it's 'certain-fancy-point' is what will create that shell or skin or covering or whatever you want to name it.

Others smarter than, seasonologists, will chime in here and give you specific'er and technical'er words and terms. This is just the nutshell/jist of it all.

Myself and @pmclaine said the key word: polymerization. Basically changing a liquid into a solid. Flax seed oil is really good for this but the key is to use the cast iron. It both opens the pores of the metal and solidifies/hardens the coating. The seasoning won’t be shiny and black on the first or third seasoning. It’ll be more of a dark caramely brown color. But once it cooks in it’ll turn black and smooth. That’s what you’re looking for. The rough Lodges gather too much too quickly in my opinion. It works but not as well as the really good quality pans. Just keep cooking with them and stay away from soap or acidic ingredients and everything will work out fine no matter what brand iron you have. Once a good, hard black “shell” is established the acidic ingredients like tomato sauces and wines will not hurt your pans. NEVER USE SOAP. If food bits get stuck on any of my pans I pour a cup of hot tap water into the hot pan and let it sit for a minute or two. Then I wipe it out with a paper towel. That’s all it takes. Then a quick spritz with cooking spray and the nice shiny black sheen is back and ready for another meal. Sorry this was so long winded.

Now if I could get my wife to clean it better properly. She leaves it to me with bits still in it. Some days it's in the sink with water in it. Doesn't help we are on different shifts with work.

Makes me want to get a bigger one to replace our 12" Teflon skillet like thing. They like to dome over time.

I use Crisco at 425 for at least an hour.
I heat the pan on the stove top before applying the Crisco. Then right into the oven. I set it back on the cooktop to cool down to room temperature.

Your ideas..............

First round of seasoning done. About to start the second round.
80C79E56-EE9A-47F5-974B-E2DFED5D2744.jpeg

I have really good luck with grapeseed oil. Many thin coats are far superior to a few thick ones. This is my seasoning process.

-Heat in oven on 200F for 5 minutes to dry.
-Wipe grapeseed oil on every surface of the pan.
-Wipe off all residual oil with a lint free cloth, blue shop towels work great.
-throw back in oven upsidedown at 400F for 1 hour, then kill the heat and let it cool down completely.
-repeat 4-5 times on new (bare) pan, then start cooking.
-DO NOT THROW OILY RAGS IN TRASHCAN, IT IS A FIRE HAZARD.

First round of seasoning done. About to start the second round.
View attachment 7311728
Wipe more oil out before heating, the splotches mean there was too much oil.

Last edited:
Reactions: kriller134
So, I am done with my wife's stainless skillets, as well as the French enamel coated cast iron.

Out of all the modern cast iron, and there a lot of them.........who has the best, and why.....?

Let me know what you have.

You've gotten quite a bit of good advice and feed back on cast iron in this thread. But, after you get your cast iron skillet squared away, may I suggest as a replacement for the SS skillet, a carbon steel one? Seasons and cooks like a cast iron for sauteing and such, but doesn't weigh 15lbs.

Everyone needs a good cast iron skillet. Everyone also needs (IMHO) a good carbon steel pan too. Stainless steel and nonstick just don't brown like a CS pan (which like CI, you can get rocket hot).

I highly recommend Made In's line of CS pans (hell, all their pans are top notch, that's why half the time there's a waiting list).

The also sell a very good seasoning wax, that can be used on CS or CI. It doesn't smoke nearly as bad a grape seed oil. Remember, for seasoning in the oven, get the pan hot, then coat with oil/wax, then put it in an oven at 450 for at least an hour (two is better) and do that twice before using.

HTH...

Reactions: Moose72
Our farm house was built in 1852, the original wood cook stove was boxed up in the cellar. Well inside the box were 5 Griswold iron pans/ Dutch oven griddle etc.... we use them very often, tes they are worth a good penny. We have the lodge stuff haningfton the rack for looks. Goodluck

Just got a 6.5” lodge off of amazon. Gonna work on it tomorrow. I’m enjoying the grinding and seasoning.

I also suggest getting some good carbon steel pans. I have many cast iron pans and used them religiously, but nowadays, I use my carbon steel pans more. The weight difference alone is a huge plus in my books and for my uses, perform, as good if not better than cast iron. Just like firearms, you need the right tool for job, plus one can never have to many- firearms or pans in the case. lol

Reactions: MarinePMI
Carbon steel is less expensive, lighter and the cooking surface of the pan is smooth like the older cast iron pans. The rougher texture of today’s cast iron can be off putting to some users.

The big difference between CS and CI (aside from weight), is thermal bounce. They both can be heated to very high temps without warping, but the CI has a shallow, but slower thermal bounce than CS. With CS, when you put something (relatively) cold in it, the bounce is swift and steep, but regains it's heat quickly. With CI it can take awhile to recover (for example, deep frying in CI, you can observe the bounce in the oil). CI excels at low, slow heat on a cooktop because of the shallower fluctuations in heat. The CS excels at high heat operations like searing and saute, because it gets hot, and bounces back quickly. CS pans are excellent for getting a crisp crust on a steak for example. Both can be seasoned to near nonstick level of smoothness.

Just different tools for different tasks.

The big difference between CS and CI (aside from weight), is thermal bounce. They both can be heated to very high temps without warping, but the CI has a shallow, but slower thermal bounce than CS. With CS, when you put something (relatively) cold in it, the bounce is swift and steep, but regains it's heat quickly. With CI it can take awhile to recover (for example, deep frying in CI, you can observe the bounce in the oil). CI excels at low, slow heat on a cooktop because of the shallower fluctuations in heat. The CS excels at high heat operations like searing and saute, because it gets hot, and bounces back quickly. CS pans are excellent for getting a crisp crust on a steak for example. Both can be seasoned to near nonstick level of smoothness.

Just different tools for different tasks.

Sit at a restaurant that allows you to watch the kitchen chefs......good entertainment.

Often when I see them cooking steaks it appears to me they are using CS.

They sear meat on a hot CS pan over flame cooktop than the whole pan goes into the commercial flame broiler.

Their pans usually look well used/patina'd/seasoned.

Guessing also, when cooking for a living in a busy restaurant, the weight savings of handling CS pans prevents the chef from wearing his ass out.

Go to a rest

Sit at a restaurant that allows you to watch the kitchen chefs......good entertainment.

Often when I see them cooking steaks it appears to me they are using CS.

They sear meat on a hot CS pan over flame cooktop than the whole pan goes into the commercial flame broiler.

Their pans usually look well used/patina'd/seasoned.

Guessing also, when cooking for a living in a busy restaurant, the weight savings of handling CS pans prevents the chef from wearing his ass out.
Exactly.

10” and 12” CS skillets that have been seasoned and well used (the bottoms are pitch black).
0ACF6B77-3C8A-4760-A8C5-6AF36A11C872.jpeg

Reactions: PBWalsh
Next up, the amazing wonders of carbon steel Japanese knives!

Any experience with the Lodge carbon steel? Its American made. The Made In looks way nicer, but its made in France. Not that I’m opposed to buying non-American, just would rather buy American.

Here is the CS fry pan that I use. Matfer Bourgeat. They have been in business for over 200 years. I really like this pan.
Matfer Bourgeat

6171YDV-mJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Interesting seasoning instructions with that pan (I've seen the method before, but haven't tried it yet). I know some swear by it (though some use onion instead of potato peels).
CS Seasoning.jpg

Reactions: jungle45
A thought on the potato peels, it may have a purpose due to the starch or something like that.

My pans always come out the best after frying potatoes.

Just did egg rolls last nite in mine.

20200429_194605.jpg

I believe it has to do with the sugars (starches convert to sugars) and the oil at high heat. Something about the depolymerization that occurs, and the breaking down of the long string/chain of molecules of oil into much shorter ones. Hence, why onions are also often used...

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I believe it has to do with the sugars (starches convert to sugars) and the oil at high heat. Something about the depolymerization that occurs, and the breaking down of the long string/chain of molecules of oil into much shorter ones. Hence, why onions are also often used...
Onions and potatoes take out the funky taste and odor of CS ***by*** forcing a patina. You can do the same thing by coating in mustard or smearing lean ground beef/blood on the surface and give it an hour or two. Baking soda slurry rubbed in and left also has a similar effect. Has nothing to do with the non-stickiness.

I use the same process on the CS knives I can’t talk about. 🤪 If you dice an onion with a new knife and leave it to sit, the onion will oxidize and smell/taste like shit

***edited for sentence structure and spelling

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LeftyJason
Uhhh...WTF are you talking about?

ETA: Never mind, I see what you're saying now.

So it helps form a "gaze" ? With the converted sugars?

When I cook things coated in flour I don't get that type of effect, lack of sugars.

Well, I was going to tell you the good ones, but then saw @LeftyJason tell me to hang fire.
Onions and potatoes take out the funky taste and odor of CS ***by*** forcing a patina. You can do the same thing by coating in mustard or smearing lean ground beef/blood on the surface and give it an hour or two. Baking soda slurry rubbed in and left also has a similar effect. Has nothing to do with the non-stickiness.

I use the same process on the CS knives I can’t talk about. 🤪 If you dice an onion with a new knife and leave it to sit, the onion will oxidize and smell/taste like shit

***edited for sentence structure and spelling
I didn't say you couldn't. I meant it's better to wait. There's been a few brands mentioned since then with some other interesting tidbits. You've waited so now is more ok but it needs to be tied in some how.

One of my favorite "pans" .
Could use a cleaning.

20200430_170057.jpg

I didn't say you couldn't. I meant it's better to wait. There's been a few brands mentioned since then with some other interesting tidbits. You've waited so now is more ok but it needs to be tied in some how.
I'll keep you in suspense, get drunk enough one night and start a thread. Who knows, could be tonight or tomorrow or the next day that ends in Y like that twat waffle that came in saying he was going to out someone and then never did. Just never know. Okay, I'm drunk.

• Haha
Reactions: OldSalty
I’ve been cooking with Dutch ovens my whole life wile camping but this thread inspired me to finally take the plunge on a vintage Griswold #3 or #6 for daily eggs. Have my eye on a few online.

Also going to grind down and sand my lodge Dutch oven and skillet, any tips on that process? As always it’s a pleasure gents!

I’ve been cooking with Dutch ovens my whole life wile camping but this thread inspired me to finally take the plunge on a vintage Griswold #3 or #6 for daily eggs. Have my eye on a few online.
#3 is about the perfect size for 1-3 scrambled eggs. You can squeeze a 4th in if careful

Reactions: verdugo60