• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cast Iron Skillets

Hopefully this doesn’t derail the thread. Anyone eat duck eggs? A guy I work with has ducks and I get a dozen every other week or so. The yolk is giant and delicious. I usually just add a few duck yolks to the chicken eggs that are going to be scrambled. It adds more nutrients and quite a bit more cholesterol. A fried duck egg on a burger is even better than a chicken egg, if you can believe that

Last edited:
Reactions: jungle45
Dick yolks?
Seriously?
Hopefully this doesn’t derail the thread. Anyone eat duck eggs? A guy I work with has ducks and I get a dozen every other week or so. The yolk is giant and delicious. I usually just add a few dick yolks to the chicken eggs that are going to be scrambled. It adds more nutrients and quite a bit more cholesterol. A fried duck egg on a burger is even better than a chicken egg, if you can believe that
LoL

Hopefully this doesn’t derail the thread. Anyone eat duck eggs? A guy I work with has ducks and I get a dozen every other week or so. The yolk is giant and delicious. I usually just add a few dick yolks to the chicken eggs that are going to be scrambled. It adds more nutrients and quite a bit more cholesterol. A fried duck egg on a burger is even better than a chicken egg, if you can believe that
Autocorrect does not change duck to dick. As a matter of fact, it changes dick to duck.

The only acceptable response to your post is below:
C53652A8-417E-4C5D-86C8-2DD63B34197D.gif

You guys sure are quick to jump on a stray dick…

Cock yolk bukake, yum

Alright, degenerates. Back on topic.

This is the carbon pan I have. I should use it more, it’s really nice. My cast iron just stays on top of the stove though

Reactions: MJF and pmclaine
We use mostly Lodge brand but have a few others. I don't think it matters much what the brand is, it's hard to mess up a technology that old, even with poorly toleranced modern manufacturing. Our family's favorite is cast iron pizza which I find I have to make once a week to keep everyone happy.

A really good stainless pan that doesn't require good cooking technique is the laser cut hybrid pans. I tried one and was impressed enough I now have 4 different sizes and no longer use anything else except cast iron where appropriate. I wish I could point you toward a USA made version but I couldn't find one. Link to Pan I know, China, gross.

Cast iron pizza:
Cast iron pizza.jpg

We use mostly Lodge brand but have a few others. I don't think it matters much what the brand is, it's hard to mess up a technology that old, even with poorly toleranced modern manufacturing. Our family's favorite is cast iron pizza which I find I have to make once a week to keep everyone happy.

A really good stainless pan that doesn't require good cooking technique is the laser cut hybrid pans. I tried one and was impressed enough I now have 4 different sizes and no longer use anything else except cast iron where appropriate. I wish I could point you toward a USA made version but I couldn't find one. Link to Pan I know, China, gross.

Cast iron pizza:
View attachment 7982078
Recipe please.

Recipe please.
You bet, but the recipe is a lot less important than the process. I chage the recipe constantly depending what we have available. I just use the premixed (just add water kind) dough made according to package instructions. While that is resting, I spritz a thin layer of olive oil or wipe the pan with it on a paper towel. Then I dust the bottom of the pan with a tsp of corn starch, followed by a tsp of parmesan and a tsp garlic powder and a little red pepper flakes. Yes, that all goes under the crust. Then add dough and spread to edges of the pan. Then add cheese to the edge of the dough, this will get magically crispy. I use this cheese and cut pencil sized pieces to go around the edge right up against the pan, and the rest will be sliced to go on top with some shredded mozz. On top of the crust can have more parmesan and garlic powder or whatever else you like then sauce (4-6oz) and toppings (usually just a thick layer of pepperoni at our house) and the previously mentioned cheese on top, 6-8oz sliced jack and 2-3oz shredded pizza blend or Italian blend.

After the dough is spread out, heat the pan on the stove top, medium heat until the bottom of the crust starts to brown. This might take 5-7 minutes but every stove is different. I put it on the heat and start cutting and adding the ring of cheese, and when that starts to melt I shut the heat off. I can usually assemble the whole pizza in that time. Then into a 425-450 oven 20-25 min until it looks like the one in the picture. Take it out and let it rest for 10 minutes, then out and cut and enjoy. Lately I've been letting it rest for 5 minutes in the pan then 5 minutes on a cooling rack. Hopefully that all makes sense.

We use mostly Lodge brand but have a few others. I don't think it matters much what the brand is, it's hard to mess up a technology that old, even with poorly toleranced modern manufacturing.

No, brand is not really important. Even the super cheap Amazon brand cast iron pieces get decent enough reviews. But, just like anything, the fancy expensive stuff exists for a reason

No, brand is not really important. Even the super cheap Amazon brand cast iron pieces get decent enough reviews. But, just like anything, the fancy expensive stuff exists for a reason
Sure, but that reason is usually that there is a sucker born every minute. Either that or I m not hard enough on my equipment to expose the weaknesses in the cheaper products.

Reactions: The D
So, I am done with my wife's stainless skillets, as well as the French enamel coated cast iron.

Out of all the modern cast iron, and there a lot of them.........who has the best, and why.....?

Let me know what you have.
Mostly lodge. I have done some sanding to some that came in a bit rough. Other than that, seems like metal is metal. Sand to preferred finish, clean and season. We cook almost exclusively with cast iron. We are presently messing around with Dutch ovens and cooking over a wood fire. Next thing will be using coals like the cowboy cook.

You bet, but the recipe is a lot less important than the process. I chage the recipe constantly depending what we have available. I just use the premixed (just add water kind) dough made according to package instructions. While that is resting, I spritz a thin layer of olive oil or wipe the pan with it on a paper towel. Then I dust the bottom of the pan with a tsp of corn starch, followed by a tsp of parmesan and a tsp garlic powder and a little red pepper flakes. Yes, that all goes under the crust. Then add dough and spread to edges of the pan. Then add cheese to the edge of the dough, this will get magically crispy. I use this cheese and cut pencil sized pieces to go around the edge right up against the pan, and the rest will be sliced to go on top with some shredded mozz. On top of the crust can have more parmesan and garlic powder or whatever else you like then sauce (4-6oz) and toppings (usually just a thick layer of pepperoni at our house) and the previously mentioned cheese on top, 6-8oz sliced jack and 2-3oz shredded pizza blend or Italian blend.

After the dough is spread out, heat the pan on the stove top, medium heat until the bottom of the crust starts to brown. This might take 5-7 minutes but every stove is different. I put it on the heat and start cutting and adding the ring of cheese, and when that starts to melt I shut the heat off. I can usually assemble the whole pizza in that time. Then into a 425-450 oven 20-25 min until it looks like the one in the picture. Take it out and let it rest for 10 minutes, then out and cut and enjoy. Lately I've been letting it rest for 5 minutes in the pan then 5 minutes on a cooling rack. Hopefully that all makes sense.
Thanks man! I'll give it a whirl.

Mostly lodge. I have done some sanding to some that came in a bit rough. Other than that, seems like metal is metal. Sand to preferred finish, clean and season. We cook almost exclusively with cast iron. We are presently messing around with Dutch ovens and cooking over a wood fire. Next thing will be using coals like the cowboy cook.
I have an older Lodge dutch oven and skillet Also have a newer CI corn bread pan in the shape of Texas. To me it's sacrilege to cook chile or my Black Eyed Pig in anything but a CI dutch oven and also corn bread must be done in CI. I also have my dear departed grandma's skillet that needs some TLC. It sat in my late Mom's storage shed and got rusted a bit. I've been trying to get around to cleaning it up but things always get in the way.
This thread has motivated me to "git 'er done". It's got to be at least 100 years old.
I regularly season my Lodge stuff but I'm not sure how to best tackle the old girl. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: devildog93
Sure, but that reason is usually that there is a sucker born every minute. Either that or I m not hard enough on my equipment to expose the weaknesses in the cheaper products.
Do you buy the cheapest (insert product name here), or do you shop around some for a better quality product? That may not be affected nearly as much regarding cast iron skillets as it would shoes, but the premise still stands. People who determine value according to quality or visual preferences instead of just the absolute lowest price are not “suckers”

I have an older Lodge dutch oven and skillet Also have a newer CI corn bread pan in the shape of Texas. To me it's sacrilege to cook chile or my Black Eyed Pig in anything but a CI dutch oven and also corn bread must be done in CI. I also have my dear departed grandma's skillet that needs some TLC. It sat in my late Mom's storage shed and got rusted a bit. I've been trying to get around to cleaning it up but things always get in the way.
This thread has motivated me to "git 'er done". It's got to be at least 100 years old.
I regularly season my Lodge stuff but I'm not sure how to best tackle the old girl. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Either your wood stove, fire place, fire pit etc., huck that sucker in overnight good and glowing red, next morning give it a good scrubbing then season away!

Put it in a self cleaning oven, open side down, press the clean button.........when it's done, clean it up and season...........just like starting with a new pan......

Reactions: Makinchips208
Personally, I would say 'no' to both suggestions above. Far too often, the extremely high heat damages the flat surfaces of the cast iron. That, and the difference in heat expansion often causes cracking of the pan.

YMMV.

Once a pan is cracked/broken, it can't be un-cracked or un-broken. There are many who've made 'electrolysis baths' out of a tub of water and a battery charger. For completely stripping antique pans in preparation for re-seasoning. IF your pan is bad enough to warrant this direction, (virtually pain free) then I'd suggest you looking at doing so. I though, would seriously look at a mild sanding (depending on the 'rust' situation) and a good cleaning, then re-season and see what happens for an outcome.

Maybe put up a picture, if you will.

Reactions: devildog93
I have used an electrolysis tub with washing soda and a good battery charger on car rims. A bit messy, but effective. Probably the safest thing rather than heavy chemicals. I'm not sure how good naval jelly would be for something you were making food in. Maybe some lemon juice or some citrus based products if it is surface crap.

Do you buy the cheapest (insert product name here), or do you shop around some for a better quality product?

I have used cast-iron cookware for decades and would never have considered buying a Smithy due to price, but having owned one now for ~5yrs (it was a gift) I would never buy another "regular" textured cast-iron skillet. As I said earlier, the rest of my cast iron now lives in the cabinet, except for my wok and griddle.

As also stated above, a lot comes down to technique. I slice my bacon (I make my own) ~1/8" thick, and use a bacon press that perfectly fits inside the skillet. I also finish many of my steaks in it, in butter (they are cooked sous-vide first)..

I have taken grimy and rusty old cast iron pans, soak them all over with spray on oven cleaner and wrap up in garbage bag overnight.
Hose off and wash thoroughly with soap and water.
Rub oil all over and bake at 400 till it doesn’t smoke.
OR season however you are familiar with.

Do you buy the cheapest (insert product name here), or do you shop around some for a better quality product? That may not be affected nearly as much regarding cast iron skillets as it would shoes, but the premise still stands. People who determine value according to quality or visual preferences instead of just the absolute lowest price are not “suckers”
I buy the cheapest product that meets the criteria I assign to it. If two items check all the boxes and one is cheaper, that is the one I will buy. I reward capitalism. My metrics include made in USA at or near the top, ability to perform the job I need it to do the amount of times I need it to do it, material quality (as it relates to the previous), ect. My background in manufacturing engineering helps me/ forces me to break products down to the sum of their parts and that is how I usually assign value. For instance, I could never value a lambo the same way as someone who would be willing to pay for one. I would never utilize the increased performance and all that would be left is the cool factor. Cool factor does not apply to me.

My original comment wasn't meant to attack you in any way. If visual preference is a metric you use to determine value and I don't, our purchase decisions will not align, nor should they. We are individuals with endless options. My sucker comment would apply in this situation to say, someone buying a pan from a company because the company has made pans for 50 years longer than another company who sells the same quality pan for half the price. I don't personally value that companies longevity, I value the product they offer and I wouldn't consider that companies longevity a worthwhile metric. Some do.

I have used cast-iron cookware for decades and would never have considered buying a Smithy due to price, but having owned one now for ~5yrs (it was a gift) I would never buy another "regular" textured cast-iron skillet. As I said earlier, the rest of my cast iron now lives in the cabinet, except for my wok and griddle.

As also stated above, a lot comes down to technique. I slice my bacon (I make my own) ~1/8" thick, and use a bacon press that perfectly fits inside the skillet. I also finish many of my steaks in it, in butter (they are cooked sous-vide first)..
I feel that way about a few big purchases in our house recently. I don’t mind being a hook-nosed jew about some things but spending money on things you really need/want is usually a good course of action
I buy the cheapest product that meets the criteria I assign to it. If two items check all the boxes and one is cheaper, that is the one I will buy. I reward capitalism. My metrics include made in USA at or near the top, ability to perform the job I need it to do the amount of times I need it to do it, material quality (as it relates to the previous), ect. My background in manufacturing engineering helps me/ forces me to break products down to the sum of their parts and that is how I usually assign value. For instance, I could never value a lambo the same way as someone who would be willing to pay for one. I would never utilize the increased performance and all that would be left is the cool factor. Cool factor does not apply to me.

My original comment wasn't meant to attack you in any way. If visual preference is a metric you use to determine value and I don't, our purchase decisions will not align, nor should they. We are individuals with endless options. My sucker comment would apply in this situation to say, someone buying a pan from a company because the company has made pans for 50 years longer than another company who sells the same quality pan for half the price. I don't personally value that companies longevity, I value the product they offer and I wouldn't consider that companies longevity a worthwhile metric. Some do.
I didn’t think you were attacking me. And right off the bat, if I overreacted I’m sorry.

I can agree on someone being a sucker if they don’t do any diligence before buying anything. Not handling one in person or taking account of any product reviews can make anyone look like a sucker. A relevant example I can think of (using cast iron pans to keep this thread not completely derailed)would be someone buying a pan that has a ton of fancy brass fittings and ornate decorations but it ends up not being useful in the kitchen at all. In that scenario sure, that’s a sucker.

But lumping everyone who doesn’t value utilitarian aspects over most other aspects(not shitting on utilitarian things) as suckers is not cool at all.

I tried to word this as diplomatically as possible. Hopefully it didn’t come off like I was just screaming “Oh mY God, aRe YoU fUcKiNg ReTrAdEd?!”

Last edited:
I have bought several at yard sales, swap meets or flea markets. You can pick up some nice stuff for cheap when it's covered in rust. Just make sure that the bottom is flat and not warped or cracked.
I have cleaned them several ways. The really bad ones get a wire wheel on a drill to get the bulk off. Then a good scrub with soap and water. Dried with a towel and onto a stove to finish getting it dry. Crisco is then applied, thinly, and wiped until clean. Then into a 400 degree oven an hour. A few more lite coats and baking and they are ready to use.
I have seen UTube videos of the battery charger and baking soda but haven't tried it yet.
Do a little research on labels and how to date what you are looking for/at.
I have a couple Wagner's that are very nice and a couple other brands but mostly lodge

I view cast iron as a lifetime product that I can pass down to my kids/grandkids to last their lifetime. That's why I try to find antique examples that are in great shape. I'm still hunting for a Wagner chicken fryer with matching lid. My sister won't part with her's no matter what I offer!

I have the pan but not the lid.
I view cast iron as a lifetime product that I can pass down to my kids/grandkids to last their lifetime. That's why I try to find antique examples that are in great shape. I'm still hunting for a Wagner chicken fryer with matching lid. My sister won't part with her's no matter what I offer!

I’ve been restoring cast iron for the last 3 or 4 years. I have a few great Wagners from the 30’s and my pride and joy is my Dutch oven. All from my grandmother. I had been looking for a flat Griddle for a while with no luck. Brother in law called and said he was given a bunch of cast iron but it was in bad shape. With never restoring cast iron I said sure can be that hard.
Did a bunch of research and took a newer Lodge to try first. It turned out great. I’ve done 10-15 skillets and griddles since. Hers a pick of the last 2 I did. They were rough and pitted.
D8F9BC28-1297-4519-8282-0834F017EB42.jpeg
6576D40E-F99A-4F86-A471-0D3CAC7233C9.jpeg
99BD2F5F-CA5E-49F2-9B8B-F85EC351E3DF.jpeg

Okay, give up the info. That's a remarkable save.
I’ve been restoring cast iron for the last 3 or 4 years. I have a few great Wagners from the 30’s and my pride and joy is my Dutch oven. All from my grandmother. I had been looking for a flat Griddle for a while with no luck. Brother in law called and said he was given a bunch of cast iron but it was in bad shape. With never restoring cast iron I said sure can be that hard.
Did a bunch of research and took a newer Lodge to try first. It turned out great. I’ve done 10-15 skillets and griddles since. Hers a pick of the last 2 I did. They were rough and pitted.View attachment 7983322View attachment 7983323View attachment 7983325

I wish I’d taken a pic before I started cleaning them. They were rougher than the pictures show.

I start by scraping any and all that I can get off with a putty knife. Then I hose them off and fill with water then boil till water is mostly gone. A lot of the baked on oil and crud will release and make for easy cleaning.
After that I wash them out the back to the heat to dry.
After drying I will use a wire brush chucked in and cordless to get the rest of the surface rust and grime off. The final set is a grinder with a 180 grit sanding wheel. The flexible ones.
I sand until rust is gone and clean metal shows.
This does not remove much metal at all but will expose any pitting which is no big deal it will cover with seasoning.
After that I clean with water and green scrub pad till clean.
Then to the heat. I started using cooking oil on the first few but have now switched to pure lard.
It’s thinner and makes a more even season.
I typically apply 10-15 coats to get fully seasoned.
A trick I figured out is. Cook bacon first on it. Cook it slower on a lower heat till cooked crisp. Toss the bacon on in the trash and clean well with water and paper towels. Then coat with oil befor storage. This tip will take away the oil/metallic tastes. It’s not a strong taste but it’s there.

Another good tip is get some 0000 wool to fine sand the seasoned pan. It’s common to get wave like bumps from the oil when seasoning. The wool will knock them done and really smooth out the sides and bottom.

Alright, degenerates. Back on topic.

This is the carbon pan I have. I should use it more, it’s really nice. My cast iron just stays on top of the stove though

I have one of these and it is a great pan.

Watched a couple you tube vids on soaking CI in molasses and water for 2-3 weeks. Have any of y'all tried this method?

One of these is my go to:

High dollar but 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Has anyone here tried the Stargazer CI skillets? They look pretty nice and seem to have some modern style to them. I’m also looking at Smithey and Field. I have a couple of Lodge skillets already.

My choice...

worth every penny

Has anyone here tried the Stargazer CI skillets? They look pretty nice and seem to have some modern style to them. I’m also looking at Smithey and Field. I have a couple of Lodge skillets already.
Someone earlier in this thread has a Stargazer and said most of his other pans sit in the cupboard since he got it.

And now, a moment of silence. My stepdaughter made apple butter in the CI yesterday and then used dish soap to clean it out. Needless to say, the seasoning is gone. At least the apple butter is delicious

1667183574568.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone try one of the GSI anodized aluminum dutch ovens? I just ordered one for camping. I have Wagners, Lodge, Marquette, and Coleman cast iron pans and dutch ovens. They are just a lot of weight. Love all of them. The Marquette came really smooth. I am curious about the Coleman. I wonder what company made it for them.

Someone earlier in this thread has a Stargazer and said most of his other pans sit in the cupboard since he got it.

And now, a moment of silence. My stepdaughter made apple butter in the CI yesterday and then used dish soap to clean it out. Needless to say, the seasoning is gone. At least the apple butter is delicious

View attachment 7987610
Ha. Arnt kids just the best. Had a member of the wifes family offer up to do dishes once. Took rough grit SOS pad to a skillet. Just kept scrubbing till the black stuff came off.

You can wash with dish soap after every use. Apply a thin coat of vegetable shortening before storage, no issues.

People didn’t wash them in the olden days because dish soap didn’t exist.

You can wash with dish soap after every use. Apply a thin coat of vegetable shortening before storage, no issues.

People didn’t wash them in the olden days because dish soap didn’t exist.
I thought it had something to do with the lye in the soap, yes all soap has lye. If soap isn't made right there is still lye in it and that would hurt the seasoning, but I could be way off base.

I like to cook salmon in the cast iron skillet and I will wash it well afterwards so that there is no residual smell that could mess up the next thing I cook, such as fried eggs or steak.

PSA: Please, for the love of God, don’t use soybean oil for anything. At the very least don’t use it in the kitchen. But, in all reality, just leave that fucking garbage on the shelf