• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cast Iron Skillets

What are y’all doing with the excess fat? I just cooked up some leftover steak fat and chicken thighs for my dogs. I did keep the excess per my wife’s instructions.

Use it like you would use regular cooking oil?

What are y’all doing with the excess fat? I just cooked up some leftover steak fat and chicken thighs for my dogs. I did keep the excess per my wife’s instructions.

Use it like you would use regular cooking oil?

I eat a keto diet.

I cook in the pan with either coconut oil or olive oil.

In either case I pour that fat over whatever I am cooking an scarf it down like Jabba the Hut on Princess Leia......

image.jpg

Reactions: PBWalsh
Spent an eight year stretch cooking outdoors on cast iron Dutch ovens.
Once a month on adventure crew.

Normally 5-8 sometimes more fires going, I had to help keep an eye out
for safety , and did a lot of quality controll.

It was a perk for using my 1 ton to tow the trailer full of cast iron and gear for 30-60 people. When we had full crews my 1 ton would strain and have to be ran in third gear the whole way.

I would be better off making a list of what can not be made in a Dutch oven.

Favorite was Dutch oven cobbler competitions I managed to be a judge on most times.

Those were the best times, cigar and a beer would have been nice.

Never snuck a single drink, to much responsibility and had to be on point.

Did I mention coed teenagers?

Not sure if its the cast iron or not, but in the past week since I’ve began using my 8” (new) Lodge CI skillet, my eggs have consistently been much better than when I used a regular skillet.

I am all praise for CI right now. Seems like I can control the heat way better, and I’m even using a glass top stove. Its even starting to not stick. This morning all it needed was to scrape off the layer of egg residue and wipe out with some canola oil. No water needed.

I’m a fan.

Edit for lunch... yeah I don‘t see myself going away from cast iron. Just ordered a skillet top, though aluminum foil will work for now.

E1D0E6C8-8F37-4C79-9B6A-0617DC351D54.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Let’s revive this thread instead of steering the griddle thread off course. I’ll add a few sites to keep the conversation going

This is at the top of my list for a new piece

Another quality piece

There's a reason that lodge pans are not smooth when you buy them new. They are not meant to be used with plastic spatulas so they wear smooth with use. By then the novice will have learned how to cook with cast iron.
Let’s revive this thread instead of steering the griddle thread off course. I’ll add a few sites to keep the conversation going

This is at the top of my list for a new piece

Another quality piece
Those look nice but it would (maybe) take a bit to figure out what heat settings to use with the lighter pans. If I run across one I may give them a try

What are y’all doing with the excess fat? I just cooked up some leftover steak fat and chicken thighs for my dogs.

Please watch the quantity of straight fat given to dogs (including bone marrow). As much as they love it and keep eating it, larger quantities can cause pancreatitis.

There's a reason that lodge pans are not smooth when you buy them new. They are not meant to be used with plastic spatulas so they wear smooth with use. By then the novice will have learned how to cook with cast iron.

Those look nice but it would (maybe) take a bit to figure out what heat settings to use with the lighter pans. If I run across one I may give them a try
The Lodge I’ve had for a little over 10yrs gets used almost daily and is as smooth as glass. I’ll be a little sad to let it go but replacing it with something closer to art than the Lodge will be nice

I have a theory “rough” is more non stick than “smooth”.

My Lodge is rough cast compared to the Smithy but the Lodge is easier cleaning.

I’m thinking the rough surface holds oil better and keeps shit from sticking.

Kind of counterintuitive thinking how you get paint to stick by roughing a surface to
“Tooth” in.

I don’t know just my observation.

I agree with you that the rough surface holds the seasoning. But if it's not cleaned properly and re-seasoned they are sticky. Those pores are harder to clean than a smooth pan. Which is why I mentioned the learning curve of cast iron cookware.
I have a theory “rough” is more non stick than “smooth”.

My Lodge is rough cast compared to the Smithy but the Lodge is easier cleaning.

I’m thinking the rough surface holds oil better and keeps shit from sticking.

Kind of counterintuitive thinking how you get paint to stick by roughing a surface to
“Tooth” in.

I don’t know just my observation.
That's my opinion. Which is worth about as much as lint from a fat mans belly button.

I agree with you that the rough surface holds the seasoning. But if it's not cleaned properly and re-seasoned they are sticky. Those pores are harder to clean than a smooth pan. Which is why I mentioned the learning curve of cast iron cookware.

That's my opinion. Which is worth about as much as lint from a fat mans belly button.
My Lodge is 22 years old and has never seen anything but hot water to clean. Once in a while it will get a piece of chain mail scrubbed on it.

It’s great but the carbon steel have become so convenient.

Easy way to season is dunk them ho’s in the turkey fryer full of lard.

Grew up in the deep south, and cast iron was washed after every use with soap. Coated with vegetable shortening or lard afterwards.

Uhg sorry didn't read anything. Heat it up. Put oil on it. Good to go. Biggest complaint i get its to heavy.

Most people miss the importance of heating it up first and then seasoning with whatever they use. Oil, lard, sesame oil or any of the other new wave fancy smangled stuff.
Uhg sorry didn't read anything. Heat it up. Put oil on it. Good to go. Biggest complaint i get its to heavy.

I have been thinking about taking an unused cast iron pan to the shop and milling the inside smooth. Like just barely removing anything but getting the inside bottom smooth and then polishing with a heavy abrasive pad to get a finish like the Finex. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I have been thinking about taking an unused cast iron pan to the shop and milling the inside smooth. Like just barely removing anything but getting the inside bottom smooth and then polishing with a heavy abrasive pad to get a finish like the Finex. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Run some sandpaper on the inside with a da, maybe. That’s the farthest I’d ever go. Just start using it. The best advice my grandfather ever gave me is to just cook bacon in your cast iron. You get to eat bacon and it gets seasoned at the same time

Get good metal spatulas and use the pan the way it is. The seasoning (non stick) of the pan will degrade if you just rinse and dry without re seasoning it. Which is fine to do. But some of the food will start to stick to the pan as you cook with it. Those bits need to be scraped with the metal spatulas as you are cooking. That is when I season my pans again. Doing that will get your pan smooth with use.
That's is the way my mom told me to use them when I was in my teens and started cooking.
As @pmclaine stated, those tiny crevasses hold the season and keep your pan non stick. Using them is a learning curve.

I have a skillet that has marks inside it that appears it came that way, swirl marks that look like some sort of sander was used. It works well, but not any better than the slightly bumpier surfaces of the lodge or camp chef, etc.

One of the best ones I have is an older Wagner, not too smooth or rough, not too heavy, works like a dream.

That is what I do when I pick up a used cast iron skillet. I just polish it until it shines and then treat it...

Reactions: lariat
I inherited 2 old cast iron skillets from about 1890-1920 ish era.
They both have a very smooth surface that is a black almost teflon like coating.
100+ years of use has made them perfect.
I do use hot water and soap with a green 3m scouring pad to clean.
All it does is make them even smoother.
The seasoning/coating of old whatever is probably close to 1/8th inch thick and so baked on it's not going anywhere.
It would probably take a chisel and hammer to remove it.
Pro tip: hit up a yard sale or flea market to buy a pan that is heavily pre seasoned like mine.
Don't even bother buying a new off the shelf one, let someone else go thru the trouble of all those years to season it right.....and even save some money in the process.

If buying cast iron at garage sales, look around for bullet casting equipment. I don’t buy cast iron for cooking from the homes of bullet casters.
Yup. All those cornbread ci pans make perfect ingots. Seen it happen.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
For fried and slow cooked foods we prefer Lodge skillets and Lodge Dutch ovens. After use washed with hot water and paper towels while the cookware still warm. No soap. Seasoned once a month or so with Crisbee.

I use crisco and season every time.
Boiling water normally is the cleaning process if things stick.

Reactions: jungle45
When I get a new to me cast iron pan, I clean it with steel wool, elbow grease and soap. The I cook a minimum of two pounds of bacon in it and wipe it out with a paper towel. That starts the seasoning. I have a couple of dutch ovens that I haven't made use of yet, but they were great deals!

I have old Wagner, lodge, and a volrath. I gave my FIL a classic Griswold for Christmas one year, I hope I see that on the backside!

Last edited:
Reactions: jungle45
Here’s mine after scrambling a dozen eggs for dinner. It’s not the best it’s ever been seasoned but we made tacos a few weeks ago that ate into the season a bit

1666134988212.jpeg

My Lodge is 22 years old and has never seen anything but hot water to clean. Once in a while it will get a piece of chain mail scrubbed on it.

It’s great but the carbon steel have become so convenient.
This ^^^^

Cast iron has its place, but so does carbon steel (and gets a lot more use, unless I need the heat retention properties of cast iron).

This ^^^^

Cast iron has its place, but so does carbon steel (and gets a lot more use, unless I need the heat retention properties of cast iron).
Forgte who it was that turned me on to carbon steel...kind of a squirrely guy if I remember right.

• Haha
Reactions: MarinePMI
I'm a big fan of Griswold. I've got an "odd" set like the one you pictured. I have sizes 3, 5, 7, & 9 skillets. A Griswold muffin pan that is really cool, and a Griswold corn stick pan. Also 2 Favorite Piqua skillets. I like Griswold because they are so well documented.
Ever wonder why you never see a size 13 griswold…..

As mentioned previously, cast iron has its place. I have only ever used cast iron and carbon steel. No family members where willing to give the old stuff up because they still use it. So 20 years ago, my wife and I had to start with brand new lodge. Knowing what all of the other cast iron looked like and understanding why the old was non stick, being a welder/fabricator, I knew what I had to do.

I sanded all of them with a 120 grit tiger pad. I then finished them with a red emery sanding pad and seasoned them. They worked as good as all my elders cast iron and still do. They are washed with warm water and a nylon dish brush (no soap).

With than being said, my wife and I have several carbon steel skillets from lodge. I just sanded them with the red finishing pad. All I can say is, damn they work good. We keep them seasoned as cast iron and clean the same way.

I use cast iron all the time, and Dutch ovens. But I have never used carbon steel. I’ll have to check this out.

I use cast iron all the time, and Dutch ovens. But I have never used carbon steel. I’ll have to check this out.
You most likely won’t have to sand it. I’m just really particular. On another note, part of the reason those old cast irons are so smooth, is because a stainless steel spatula, some stainless being harder than cast, is like a hone. Scraping and stirring that surface thousands of times wear’s the rough surface smooth; along with the old oil filling in the remaining imperfections.

Last edited:
No idea the brand, only that it was my great grandmother's and about 130 years old.

Attachments

• 20221016_184842.jpg
    20221016_184842.jpg
    691.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20221016_184829.jpg
    20221016_184829.jpg
    693.4 KB · Views: 50
No idea the brand, only that it was my great grandmother's and about 130 years old.
Im no expert but it looks like a number 8 Lodge griddle that was made in cast #7. Your age estimation is right in my opinion.

Reactions: Soulezoo
Well I have a couple I use for every thing.
20221019_080931.jpg

20221019_080950.jpg
20221019_081012.jpg
20221019_081012.jpg

Attachments

• 20221019_081025.jpg
    20221019_081025.jpg
    771.6 KB · Views: 18
I have a smithey cast-iron skillet that cost close to $200. It has a smooth, machined surface. I would buy another tomorrow but can't imagine why I would ever need to.

All my lodge cookware has sat unused in my cabinet for years.

Reactions: The D
Unused safe queen cast iron cookware?

You're killing me jieves.

My Smithy never sees the cabinet. I have a nice small collection of SS cookware for various tasks, but the smithy lives on the stove, along with the "bacon press" that I use for most everything I finish in it (I prepare most food sous-vide then finish in the skillet or on the grill).

Next to the Smithy, I think my cast-iron wok gets the most use.

Eh, seed oils are pretty gross. At least coconut oil but some sort of animal fat is preferable

Reactions: Makinchips208