• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cast Iron Skillets

It's from the first run of the wildlife series from back in the 90's made by lodge , There's a more recent wildlife series that was manufactured by Lodge here within the last 10yrs. You use to come across them every now and then but anymore they are getting harder and harder to find.

The middle row is the complete early series wildlife pans.

XcuvvaS.jpg
My duck pan came with a fish (bass) pan. Have looked everywhere for the damned thing

Haven't posted in here since page one, but just over the weekend I bought a Harbor Freight angle grinder and some flexible sanding disks, and went to town on making the cooking surface as smooth as a spun pan. I then twice seasoned for an hour at 550 degrees with grapeseed oil, and it's a whole new experience. Passes the egg test with only a hint of butter, and any bits that do stick, only require a gentle flick with a spatula to knock off.

Someone earlier in this thread has a Stargazer and said most of his other pans sit in the cupboard since he got it.

And now, a moment of silence. My stepdaughter made apple butter in the CI yesterday and then used dish soap to clean it out. Needless to say, the seasoning is gone. At least the apple butter is delicious

View attachment 7987610
Well did you take the daughter out and properly stone her ?

Reactions: The D
Well did you take the daughter out and properly stone her ?
No, my wife wouldn’t like that very much and I wouldn’t be able to make romance inside of her for a long time.

It’s ok though. It’s been worn so smooth over the years that it doesn’t really matter now. I used the same amount of butter that I usually use the next time I made eggs too

• Haha
Reactions: forrestgump01
When cast iron just has to be cleaned the quickest and simplest way is with a cutting torch. A little heat, a quick squirt of oxygen, and repeat until you have done the entire thing. Rub it off with a coarse cloth, oil, then heat, and wipe it out after it cools. Good to go. If you just have to wash it use plain water and then dry it immediately. A good piece of cast iron cookwear will outlast generations if given decent treatment.

My wife has her mother's and my mother's cast iron cookware which make it OLD cast iron, no over seas made junk. She has also added a couple of pieces of Lodge in the last few years which has been good. Nothing, absolutely nothing, can equal cast iron for cooking cornbread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
When cast iron just has to be cleaned the quickest and simplest way is with a cutting torch. A little heat, a quick squirt of oxygen, and repeat until you have done the entire thing. Rub it off with a coarse cloth, oil, then heat, and wipe it out after it cools. Good to go.

My wife has her mother's and my mother's cast iron cookware which make it OLD cast iron, no over seas made junk. She has also added a couple of pieces of Lodge in the last few years which has been good. Nothing, absolutely nothing, can equal cast iron for cooking cornbread.
Ahhhh yes , nothing beats the taste of fried spam with a little hint of acetylene !

my mother would put hers in the trash burn barrel, just lay it on top of the trash and let it burn. Then she would reseason it in the oven, I still have them and use them.

That’s a little much, but everyone has their thing I guess.

Sanded my Lodge pan and re seasoned it and a Matfer. Six coats so far. Even though I did not do the best sanding job it is much better to cook with now.
View attachment 8130003
I purchased a Matfer and just started using it, didn't season it at all just washed it really well to get off any of the coating that was on it. It still looks pretty new, however nothing sticks to it. I like the way yours looks I think I will season it in the oven this weekend.

Reactions: MJF
I bet she paid a lot for that soybean poison

I roll with grapeseed oil for the high smoke point.

Well, she was trying........ Not too many wives would have given a second thought to a cast iron pot.
After all that bacon fat is not too heart healthy.
But it's good.
Bacon fat is a million times healthier than seed oils, especially if the pigs weren’t fed a diet of shitty, cheap feed.

I don’t want to start derailing this thread but all the info about fat/cholesterol over the last 75 years is the exact opposite of the truth

I purchased a Matfer and just started using it, didn't season it at all just washed it really well to get off any of the coating that was on it. It still looks pretty new, however nothing sticks to it. I like the way yours looks I think I will season it in the oven this weekend.
I used Grapeseed oil { had it on hand } and the oven. When I originally seasoned them seven or eight years ago, I used to much oil. That really messes things up. This time I used very, very thin coats. They came out great.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
Bacon fat is a million times healthier than seed oils, especially if the pigs weren’t fed a diet of shitty, cheap feed.

I don’t want to start derailing this thread but all the info about fat/cholesterol over the last 75 years is the exact opposite of the truth
It started in 1975. It can be exactly dated and visually observed.

Reactions: The D
Getting back to cast iron, all that is for sale around here was made in china. Boy, I can’t tell you how much I hate that. (And I promise you, the fellows selling the china made cast iron still have not found a home for their cast iron in my home!)

Reactions: pmclaine
We don't cook with anything chinese. Vintage cast iron, new Staub French enameled cast iron pots, or Scanpan from Denmark.

Loved Calphalon until they defected to commie china

You won’t find any deals for good cast iron on EBay but I buy lots of awesome old school US made products that are now Chinesium.

You can find NOS Coleman made in KS lanterns that blow away the New REI version.

Today the cast iron got a high dose of crisco and chicken wings.

The wings had that awsome flavor not found in an electric fry basket.

Sadly some people will never know the difference .

They think chick fillet is good chicken.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton