• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cast Iron Skillets

I've never once heard of this 'molasses' thing. My first question is, 'is it legit' or is it yet another one of those 'interwebz' things of "you could just....." then all hell breaks loose?

Not unlike interwebz recipe's that call for 3x the salt that is actually required. But I digress.....

I've never once heard of this 'molasses' thing. My first question is, 'is it legit' or is it yet another one of those 'interwebz' things of "you could just....." then all hell breaks loose?

Not unlike interwebz recipe's that call for 3x the salt that is actually required. But I digress.....
Looks like some of the guys are using it for old tractor or automotive parts restoration. ?
1 part molasses to 9 parts water. Soak at warm temp for several weeks.

I have never tried it:

Looks like some of the guys are using it for old tractor or automotive parts restoration. ?

I have never tried it:
I would just use citric acid for rust removal.

Reactions: Makinchips208
Do you just soak it for a day or something? Then wash and season?
I soak until the rust is off. Scrub it really good first in hot water and soap to remove as much crud and old season as possible. Then soak in a warm citric acid solution. One rust is gone, remove, dry, and immediately wipe down the entire thing with vegetable shortening.

My aunt fries the pans in a turkey fryer to season hers.

Me and everyone I know washes their cast iron after every use with dish soap, and wipes on vegetable shortening. Not washing pans is gross.

I have never tried it:
Some good info here. Thanks for posting it.

Well I decided to see what was under the crud of this abused left to the weather pan.

20221106_123902.jpg

24 hours later I find this.

20221107_101928.jpg

What company made this?

Still in work.
That was sprayed with the oven cleaner (lye) about 24 hours ago.

I didn't rinse scrub or anything prior.

When I pulled it out of the plastic garbage bag I rinsed it, and scraped around with that plastic scraper nothing else.

There's still a tiney amount of gunk in the fine details and around the fire ring. Almost half the surface came back to unseasoned grey cast iron.

I am trying to remove all prior seasoning and start from scratch.

Get a load of my next project. Not sure how to start.

16678597665241217779190568973397.jpg

Still in work.
That was sprayed with the oven cleaner (lye) about 24 hours ago.

I didn't rinse scrub or anything prior.

When I pulled it out of the plastic garbage bag I rinsed it, and scraped around with that plastic scraper nothing else.

There's still a tiney amount of gunk in the fine details and around the fire ring. Almost half the surface came back to unseasoned grey cast iron.

I am trying to remove all prior seasoning and start from scratch.

Get a load of my next project. Not sure how to start.

View attachment 7993730
Good luck, that looks like a mighty fine Dutch oven. Be sure to post pics when done.

Well my hands give out scrubbing the duck pan.
Three trips overnight in the oven cleaner and scrubbing on between.

After rinsing off the cleaner (outside) was looking decent.
Two scrubbing with soap and a blue scotch bright pad and final hot rinse.

Done for a daily driver.
Warmed on a stovetop and grabbed a 20 year old worn t-shirt and some crisco oil.

Oiled it up and sat it on the shirt remnant , started laughing my ass off.

20221109_134130.jpg

You couldn't make this up .lol

20221109_134224.jpg

Seems after a point you get diminishing returns on the oven cleaner soak.

So the rust bucket Dutch oven is going two days on the first run.

Plenty more to work on.

Last edited:
Well my hands give out scrubbing the duck pan.
Three trips overnight in the oven cleaner and scrubbing on between.

After rinsing off the cleaner (outside) was looking decent.
Two scrubbing with soap and a blue scotch bright pad and final hot rinse.

Done for a daily driver.
Warmed on a stovetop and grabbed a 20 year old worn t-shirt and some crisco oil.

Oiled it up and sat it on the shirt remnant , started laughing my ass off.

View attachment 7995335

You couldn't make this up .lol

View attachment 7995336

Seems after a point you get diminishing returns on the oven cleaner soak.

So the rust bucket Dutch oven is going two days on the first run.

Plenty more to work on.
Looks good to me.

I've got Smithey Ironware Skillets. Check them out...they are top tier!

Smithey.com

The molasses trick does work....if you're ok with it taking a long ass time. I did it to an old set of heads off an engine I pulled. Hardest part besides the waiting for it to work was actually finding a feed store that could get me the molasses, for whatever reason its not stocked in my area.

Reactions: tomcatmv
The molasses trick does work....if you're ok with it taking a long ass time. I did it to an old set of heads off an engine I pulled. Hardest part besides the waiting for it to work was actually finding a feed store that could get me the molasses, for whatever reason its not stocked in my area.
What solution did you use? 1part molasses to 1 part water?

Reactions: Clob McStrunk
Saga of the rust bucket Dutch oven continues.
Two and a half days ago it looked like a lost cause.

16678597665241217779190568973397.jpg

1 hour worth of scrubbing and washing after a 48 hour soak in the oven cleaner inside a garbage bag resulted in this.

20221110_112612.jpg
20221110_112546.jpg

Conclusion Easy Off oven cleaner is viable but doesn't do all the work.

I recently cleaned up one of my grandmother's skillets that had been stored out in her old shed for many years. The black "seasoning" was at least 1/32" thick. Tried a cup brush on a 4.5" grinder first, which took an extremely long time to do just a few sq inches. Then remembered I had some caustic soda mixed up in a 5 gallon bucket to clean some engine parts. Submerged the skillet in that overnight, sprayed it off with a water hose the next day and it was clean and pristine bare metal. Gave it to my wife for seasoning and it looks really good now.

Reactions: camocorvette
Another cleaning and now a first round of seasoning. Looks like the old gal will survive the abuse.

Being left to die out in the rain and cold is a sad death.

So what kind of Dutch oven is an 8e ?

16682956674553733207488521358854.jpg

And yes would have been better to take that picture before it got to 500 degrees. Lol

Well a skillet is next on the list.
Inside was still usable but outside was thick with crust.

One round day and a half in the oven cleaner knocked off a small portion 30% maybe.

It is cold and pouring rain so it was rinsed brought in the house scrubbed some . Definitely needs several more trips but wait till tomorrow.

In the mean time a thick coat of used pan grease that I removed from this pan was smeared around to keep it from flash rusting.

Maybe it will soak into the dried on crud? I did that with the Dutch oven the other day to hold it till I had time and possibly it helped, not sure but at least no flash rust.

20221114_115015.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
So had to break the cherry on the restored duck pan.

Heat it up 425 degrees.
Crisco it up and let heat 8-10 minutes.

Was feeling my oats so added hatch chillies and way too much cheese to a white cornbread mix.

It sizzled when it hit the pan as it should.

Half hour or so later.
20221118_193722.jpg

Flip and walk away.

20221118_194126.jpg

Fell out on it's own.
20221118_204943.jpg

That's the way we do it.

Here is the duck pan with about 8 seasonings on it in contrast on
20230315_202724.jpg
a pan with the first two.

The big pan was in the grey (stripped) earlier today.

20230315_143904.jpg

Here is a tip.
I don't care what process you use to strip it down to grey.
And then you decide it could use a good wash to clean out the pores of stuff. (Sterilised)

Use cold water and soap to give the final clean before seasoning.

I stupidly used the dishwasher.
The hot water on the pan started to flash rust before it was dry and quicker than I could get oil on it.

No time to take a picture but got ugly quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Austan
Here is the duck pan with about 8 seasonings on it in contrast onView attachment 8097558 a pan with the first two.

The big pan was in the grey (stripped) earlier today.

View attachment 8097567

Here is a tip.
I don't care what process you use to strip it down to grey.
And then you decide it could use a good wash to clean out the pores of stuff. (Sterilised)

Use cold water and soap to give the final clean before seasoning.

I stupidly used the dishwasher.
The hot water on the pan started to flash rust before it was dry and quicker than I could get oil on it.

No time to take a picture but got ugly quick.
Plus, a lot of dishwashing detergents have chlorine in it, so they’re corrosive.

Reactions: Snuby642
View attachment 7995734
BergHoff deep iron skillet from Kohl's. Have it for ages now, no complaints.
I would like to buy the same for my in-laws, but unfortunately can't find it in Kohl's anymore.
I even wrote on kohl's customer service site about it and hope will take some actions.

If I was buying new today, I would buy Smithey.

Older Wagner, Griswold, and Birmingham Stove are also great.,

Not a lodge fan, at least the modern stuff, as it it too rough

I've warn my Lodge down with use, but you're right, it's not worth the added hassle.

Smitchey are insanely slick and are the very best I have used. Expensive and worth it if you cook on cast often.

I have several cast iron's.... I just take them in my shop and finish them down slick.
Did not have to do that with Griswold.
What ever works is good by me.

Just got done resurrecting a couple unique finds, a 9” chefs skillet and a Griswold #7 waffle iron. I can hardly wait until tomorrow morning for waffles!!

Attachments

• A28E5A83-FDE4-4F13-9D66-15396B6F51F4.jpeg
    A28E5A83-FDE4-4F13-9D66-15396B6F51F4.jpeg
    831.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DAD7E706-47AD-4D24-9509-8083C0621C7D.jpeg
    DAD7E706-47AD-4D24-9509-8083C0621C7D.jpeg
    835.6 KB · Views: 34
  • B1A51CB4-AD8B-45B9-A740-A045A2B3C9D6.jpeg
    B1A51CB4-AD8B-45B9-A740-A045A2B3C9D6.jpeg
    782.5 KB · Views: 35
The best cast iron is not modern at all. Best stuff is smooth finish vintage. Griswold, early Lodge, Wagner, Favorite, Volrath, Martin. New shit with sand grain casting is worthless to cook in.
I hear guys take the newer stuff and grind/sand it smooth. I need to do it to some of mine to see the difference

Reactions: The D and smoooth1
That's a Lodge brand from their wildlife series called Mallard I believe. Maybe called "flying mallard" too.

It's from the first run of the wildlife series from back in the 90's made by lodge , There's a more recent wildlife series that was manufactured by Lodge here within the last 10yrs. You use to come across them every now and then but anymore they are getting harder and harder to find.

The middle row is the complete early series wildlife pans.

XcuvvaS.jpg

I've never polished them that smooth. Typically, I look to just knock off the rough, being careful not to go to deep in any one spot. Keeping it uniform is best for even heat with no hot spots. By smoothing out the surface you also allow for the oil or lard to apply and set up evenly across the cooking surface.

Reactions: deerhunter70
Here are a few pictures of some I did last year that were in pretty rough shape. You can see peaks and pitting in the skillet bottom. The second picture is after the sanding and scrubbing clean. I fill with water and boil out any oil or debris left behind.
The last picture shows this skillet and another that I did at the same time that was not as bad. Both turned out great.
r.jpg

t.jpg

tt.jpg

yyyy.jpg

Reactions: MJF and SkyScrapin
Nothing in my collection is any younger than 150 years old. Just picked up yet another smaller 8" spider that's probably 225 yo.
I've used vinegar, hydrochloric acid, and electrolysis for restorations. Reseason with almond oil and a weed burner.

I hear guys take the newer stuff and grind/sand it smooth. I need to do it to some of mine to see the difference
All you need to do is use it, unless you have a collection of stuff. I bought a Lodge several years ago that was as smooth as a sandbox. After years of using it almost every day it’s as smooth as a carbon steel pan

Reactions: Jgunner and ewoaf
All you need to do is use it, unless you have a collection of stuff. I bought a Lodge several years ago that was as smooth as a sandbox. After years of using it almost every day it’s as smooth as a carbon steel pan
Got ya. I don't use metal utensils all that often in it, so wear is near zero. They are newer lodge, nothing special. Just looking for more immediate performance, inl HATE stuff stuck to my pans.

When my grandmother passed I got some.of her old and super crusty pans. I have intentions of cleaning them up and getting them seasoned, just been putting it off.

Reactions: The D
Got ya. I don't use metal utensils all that often in it, so wear is near zero. They are newer lodge, nothing special. Just looking for more immediate performance, inl HATE stuff stuck to my pans.

When my grandmother passed I got some.of her old and super crusty pans. I have intentions of cleaning them up and getting them seasoned, just been putting it off.
Make cornbread in them a few times and it will help smooth them out. Granted, none of my modern Lodge is as smooth as my Griswold pieces, but they are still great for cooking.

Reactions: Jgunner
Smooth is over rated if you have seasoned well.

Heated Liquid oil will create plenty of smooth.

Reactions: ewoaf

I’ve only used stainless spatulas so it got worn smooth from that relatively quickly. Another thing that will help the seasoning is to use a thicker cooking oil, like beef/bison tallow or butter. I noticed several years ago that it took fewer cooks to be more non-stick after making something acidic if I used something animal based vs coconut or olive oil.

You should use tallow or butter instead of something plant based anyway. They’re so much better than plant oils. Coconut oil is an ok oil but that’s about the only plant oil I’d consider now

Yes, Lard is ok too. I just prefer the others