• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caution!: Hornady Superperformance Match 178 gr

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
2011-04-27_18-01-06_729.jpg

I had read reports of dangerous pressures on these, but I had also read reports of increased velocities at safe pressures. Having tested out Alliant's 2000-MR and seeing higher velocities at safe pressures, I thought Hornady was onto something.

I shot a few shots and the ejector didn't reset, which was the darndest thing. I looked at the case head, and sure enough, ejector marks! They weren't deep, but if they were handloads, I would have backed off.

Like an idiot, I closed the bolt, dry fired, and the ejector got unstuck, so I was back in business. I fired a few more shots and got another stuck ejector and a blown primer.

For some reason, my blind faith in the legal system and the ammunition factory led me to believe a load was safe that I knew in my gut was not. Thankfully, I stopped.

I would caution anyone who uses this ammo to treat it as a handload. Some guns probably tolerate it just fine, but if you see any pressure signs at all, STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

BTW, 88 degrees in Texas when I was shooting... not exactly a scorcher for here.

Re: Caution!: Hornady Superperformance Match 178 gr

ive put about 350 rnds down range out of my surgeon 591 action and the ammo shoots real well, good to knowe though i will keep my eyes peeled.

I believe Frank (Lowlight) identified the superformance ammunition as his "winter ammo". Too bad based on how promising it looked to be.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS-8541-dono</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive put about 350 rnds down range out of my surgeon 591 action and the ammo shoots real well, good to knowe though i will keep my eyes peeled.</div></div>

I imagine, like handloads, it will be hot for some guns and not for others. I have a tight (no neck turn, though) chamber and bore, so I get faster velocities than most on factory ammo. 175 gr FGMM goes 2735 fps at 60 degrees in my gun.

I imagine the bullet was hauling ass, most likely in excess of 2,800 fps. I wasn't shooting over a chrony to verify, nor will I be shooting it any more, so I guess the point is moot.

I only put it out there for those who might not be looking for pressure signs on factory ammo (I rarely do). I imagine this stuff would do fine in a factory Remmy. In a custom, it could be a concern.

I had great success with the first two boxes I bought. I made another purchase and the new boxes blew primers out. The interesting thing was the sp ammo in the new shiny boxes I bought the second time blew primers. The first three boxes in the old packaging didn't. I don't think they have altered the load. It was probably the temp. I tried running the same ammo through a McMillan tac-308 (with more free bore than my gap) and had the same problem. I gave up on it, even though I had great success with the first couple boxes.

there is a difference between the older boxes and the new shiny boxes. the older boxes the bullets have a slightly darker tip and a standard case the newer shiny boxes the bullets dont have the slightly darker tip and the case is annealed at the mouth. so far i have had zero issues out of my gap 308 with both boxes

Damn...even a novice like myself can see overpressure signs from the gas leakage around those primers...

Have you contacted Hornady?

contact hornady , in a few i will take some pics of bullets from both the old and new lots so everyone can see the difference.

Funny this thread should arise. First two rounds I'm thinking, "This could be good." Next three rounds to the the far east I'm thinking, "This sucks!" After further inspection, three popped primers. Using 165's in a skinny box out of a 10FP.

1304033227.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I will definately stay away from this stuff.

I bought the 223 SP Match 75 gr and it shot lights out, but ruptured a couple of primers.

RRA Varmint 20 in bbl
223 wylde chamber

I've had the same problem with their Custom Match 6.8SPC ammo. The first two rounds had the primers so flattened they appeared to be part of the case. I stopped there.
I saw their 123gr AMax ammo ruin a 6.5 Grendel on the first round, complete case head separation. The rifle performed flawlessly until my buddy chambered that round. Since he also reloaded Hornady did give him 100pcs of brass and 100 AMax's for his trouble though. Hell of a trade off for a ruined AA Overwatch upper.

Did you buddy tell them that it ruined the upper? They are pretty good about fixing any problems and I don't think they would have only offered 100 pieces of brass if they knew there was more problems.

Guys this has been an ongoing thing with the 178 Superformance and they know about it and new lots have staked primers. They run fine in my .308 bolt gun, although not as accurate as I would like, and run fine in Tony's rifle but much more accurate. Some bolt guns run it better than others.

In our POFs though they do pop primers but Hornady has already addressed that here
http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance-in-gas-operated-firearms

This thread was not meant as a slam on Hornady in general, just a caution about this ammo. I have run other Hornady ammo with zero issues. If I had a match coming up, I would shoot it prior to travelling to insure that it functions properly. I would also watch for pressure signs whether it be a bolt a gas gun (mine is a bolt).

Lot # on my ammo is 3100508.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And I just got two boxes of the 178's......
frown.gif

</div></div> better than a case..

Lot 508 is one of the older lots in the old box. I have a couple of cases of it. The newer lots in the shiney boxes have the staked primers.

Also as someone mentioned about the annealing noticeable on the newer lots. Hornady has always annealed their brass. Another shooter on another site asked me about it and if Hornady was outsourcing their brass because it looked different. I spoke with the production guys about it and they said:

"We haven't changed the way we make it but we did not do the final wash on it. We did this because it eliminates the burr on the case mouth. With the final wash you sometimes have a small burr form because of the tumbling of the case. Most round it does not make a different but with Match bullets not having the cannulure it sometime effect accuracy. We are looking at new ways to do the final wash but for the short term this seems to be working."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you buddy tell them that it ruined the upper? They are pretty good about fixing any problems and I don't think they would have only offered 100 pieces of brass if they knew there was more problems.

Guys this has been an ongoing thing with the 178 Superformance and they know about it and new lots have staked primers. They run fine in my .308 bolt gun, although not as accurate as I would like, and run fine in Tony's rifle but much more accurate. Some bolt guns run it better than others.

In our POFs though they do pop primers but Hornady has already addressed that here
http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance-in-gas-operated-firearms </div></div>

They tested the rest of the box of ammo and said it was within pressure limits. This wasn't very long after that ammo hit the shelves. He ended up getting a new upper, but I can't remember for certain if Hornady footed the bill for it or not.
I wasn't trying to bash Hornady with that post, I use a lot of their components in several rifles. If it came across that way, that's my bad.

here is a pic of both boxes for your refrence, the older box and the newer bopx both the same ammo as you can see there is a def difference in the case and in the bullet itself. if you look real close you can see the tiop of the older box is slightl;y darker and the case of the newer box is annealed? dont really know why the difference for the same ammo but both shoot really well from my gap gun and i have yet to see pressure signs from each box. i will keep a close eye as the temps increase here in the midwest.

All factory ammo cases are annealed like that. They just polish it out. Until now, for Hornady, the report posted above is that they dropped the "final wash" where the discoloration of the anneal would get polished off.

Might be the same for that odd mark just back of the meplat. Less aggressive final polishing.

Know your rifle, know your ammo. With military cases and Lapua in .308, for example, my rifle shows really no obvious pressure signs with 46.0 Varget and any 155-gr bullet, but the 2900+ fps out of a 22-inch barrel is a big clue that something is beyond specs. Other clues convinced me to break that batch of 100 (88 pieces left IIRC...) down and try something different. Just an example. How much Varget do YOU run in .308 with 155s????

not sure i dont fire many 155's but i usually load about 44g +/- .2 of varget for 175 smk and have no problems or pressure signs at all