• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CDI or Hooper bottom metal?

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
Narrowed it down to these guys because they can do the inlet in-house and still be a lot less than the others. I like surgeon but mcm said it would take 6-10 weeks turn around. Whats your opinion?

Re: CDI or Hooper bottom metal?

Just my opinion, but any gunsmith worth his salt should be able to inlet for any of the popular BM's. If it's a new stock it's probably going to the gunsmith to be pillar bedded anyway.

Either of your choices would be fine but personally I'd base the decision on the features I prefer rather than the inlet.

I'm having Jon Beanland gunsmith it and he said he would prefer it be inletted with a CNC prior to getting all the parts. I've heard he's pretty good...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm having Jon Beanland gunsmith it and he said he would prefer it be inletted with a CNC prior to getting all the parts. I've heard he's pretty good...

</div></div>

CDI does it quickly, cheaply, and effectively. Usually you don't get all three of those options, but he did my Mcmillan stock well.

Cougar do you have any pics? Can't seem to find a lot of them/...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cougar do you have any pics? Can't seem to find a lot of them/...
</div></div>

I don't really have any closeups but I can show you side shot of my rifle. Dunno if that really helps haha but I can take a closeup of the bottom later.

100522_sniper_5856.jpg

I know he's done so many of them it probably only takes him a sec.

I like the looks of the latch on the Hooper personally. That's the one I'm going to order when the time comes.

Cool thanks man. You don't have to take more, unless you want to. It looks about like a badger, but seems like the trigger guard is bigger???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool thanks man. You don't have to take more, unless you want to. It looks about like a badger, but seems like the trigger guard is bigger??? </div></div>

If I think about it I'll post some close ups. It looks pretty similar to the badger one the trigger guard is just a little more angular.

here's a couple close ups. Jeff did the inletting on my B&C. He does great work. I sent 2 stocks to him and had both back within 4 days.

mj.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

Thanks for the pics Pyp! Thanks for all the other info and please do post more pics.

I'm assuming the CDI will work on a stock inlet for HS precision? I would think HS is the same as BDL, but not sure...

I have CDI in rem 700 and love it !! Jeff was easy to deal with and was very informative .. Customer service was awesome !!

+1 for CDI, it was very fast delivery (less than a week) and the parts are flawless and work even better than they look.

I have a CDI and I just got one of the Hooper DBMs. My smith has had it done for a couple days but I've been down due to a stomach virus. I'll get a pic or two posted up when I pick it up. So far, my smith and my buddy have both said it's a slick setup and the mags drop great. My smith also commented about how well it fed.
smile.gif
Can't wait to get it in MY hands!

I plan on going with a CDI for my build. I have spoken to Jeff on a numerous occasions always great to deal with...

You're all wrong. Badger M5
IMGP5721.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and...why? </div></div>

It's more expensive it must be better </div></div>

Must be! I definitly don't see $100-$150 difference in the two...

Popeye, what stock is that? Looks good.

I've been looking at CDI myself...not sure how easy it would be to inlet my self or if my machinist buddy could do it. I'll start another thread...don't mean to hijack this one.
ETA Never heard of Hooper, but after looking into them, they look promising too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here's a couple close ups. Jeff did the inletting on my B&C. He does great work. I sent 2 stocks to him and had both back within 4 days.

mj.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

</div></div>

who did your paint? looks great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here's a couple close ups. Jeff did the inletting on my B&C. He does great work. I sent 2 stocks to him and had both back within 4 days.

mj.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

</div></div>

Thanks, I did it myself. I've had an iwata airbrush from back when I played around with rc nitro trucks and I think I spent more time creating bodys more than I did driving them. The bulldog stencils made it easy.
who did your paint? looks great</div></div>

lol, same here. i am eyeing Bulldog myself. they have a new pattern that i really like. what kind of paint did you use? i keep thinking by the time i get what i need in duracoat it would be cheaper to have Todd at Manners do it. but i have 3 or 4 badgers and a compressor still from my model and R/C days. i got pretty good too. fun in reverse huh?

I used Duracoat. Magpul FDE, OD green and Matte black. hahaha painting in reverse is a trip. I did a Dukes of Hazzard General Lee once and after it was too late I noticed that I did all the lettering and numbers backwards.