• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

+ Celia Langelius RIP

My condolences to you and your family. I'm proud of your mindfulness amid this event.

I only know you from your posts but if I can be of any help to you and/or your family please let me know.

Keep your head up.

Clay

Reactions: wildcats and lash
Capping this, our Daughter Jen has finished her move down here as of Saturday night. We are already reaching a (different) kind of equilibrium, and its working. I think we've all changed a bit, and the changes are turning out to be pretty compatible. An old term of mine, Fleximum Maxibility, still has a valid use. Goals have swung a bit, but less than I had imagined. We are a team.

Celia could be proud of the family she has forged. I'm assuming she is. I'm taking a closer look at our Congregation; I want to meet up with her again.

Greg

Capping this, our Daughter Jen has finished her move down here as of Saturday night. We are already reaching a (different) kind of equilibrium, and its working. I think we've all changed a bit, and the changes are turning out to be pretty compatible. An old term of mine, Fleximum Maxibility, still has a valid use. Goals have swung a bit, but less than I had imagined. We are a team.

Celia could be proud of the family she has forged. I'm assuming she is. I'm taking a closer look at our Congregation; I want to meet up with her again.

Greg
She is.

You will.

Reactions: LeftyJason
1667427013637.png

Reactions: wildcats
Greg, I am saddened by your loss. Prayers for you and your family. If you need help, I'm a hour away. Scott.

Reactions: wildcats
Reviewing the topic, we've weathered pretty much most of the storm.

Our Daughter Jen is well established in my home, along with her Son, Patrick. She's working 6 days a week as a chef/cook at the Crystal Palace Restaurant in Tombstone, AZ. Her work schedule is all over the place, but she's happy with the arrangement, they're happy, and I am too. Personally I want for very little, although the VA and Social Security dropped out Celia's income, and we're making do on about 40% less. We're making it, and this is not a plea for monetary assistance. Any recriminations I may have had about including Daughter Jen in my household have proven to be baseless; we are getting along quite wonderfully.

My lifestyle is much slower and quieter. Shooting is a very sometime thing for me these days. Between the weather and my health it's kind 'blink and you missed it' situation. Activity does and will continue, albeit at a more leisurely pace. The weather here, between the desert climate and the Altitude well above 4000ft make Spring and Autumn my preferred times for outings, and they go through like an express train. FWIW, my brain housing group still appears to remain in order.

There are now some days when I can get by with little or no O2. Others, not so much; and I still use the O2 when I'm sleeping (or driving...), religiously. I'm off it right now.

I've transferred most of my 'lesser' guns to my next generation, but retain the 'interesting' ones for active play and accuracy exploration. I've kept the .30-'06, .308/7.62x51, .260 Rem, .223/5.56, 20ga, and 9mm stuff. The only thing I'm shooting that isn't using my own handloads is the 9mm and the 20ga; and I'm in the process of bringing them online in the handloading shop. Shop is a misnomer, it's just the deep end of the garage with no environmental enhancement or significantly serious infrastructure. There's a solid bench that supports the RL550b like it's bolted into granite.

The main thrust of the reloading will be split between load development and ammo to replace the stuff I use in shooting outings; so this will be a minimalist operation.

Celia's ashes are in an exquisitely beautiful urn which resides on the beam which spans our living room. She is in plain sight right there among us. I tend to be up latest watching TV, and sometimes I'll have a little silent conversation directed her way. I realize I may be spinning my wheels and that there's no point in straining to hear a response. But it's calming and cheering, and does no harm either way. Sometimes I'll tell her about my life, the family, the friends, and the neighborhood. If I've got confusions, I'll request her assistance at getting these mental cats in a herd. It takes the edge off the sadness, and who knows, it could be helpful both ways. I do it, I feel good doing it, and somehow, it seems to help.

And maybe I'm a fruitcake; so be it.

La Migra activity is there, but it's well hidden. Most folks around here go around strapped. We see helicopters and caravans of Border Agents buzzing by, all busy as bees, but still maintaining an even strain. Some of the Agents are members of our local VFW Post. Any interactions between 'hikers' and our neighbors remains minimal. It's there, but it's not any kind of commotion. Nobody needs to be warned not to pick up hitchhikers. The general direction of the activity needle continues to trend upward; but folks are prepared for quite a lot, if needed.

Life goes on at El Rancho Langelius...

Greg

PS, FWIW, I can still get hold of any needed powder, primer, and projectiles, but it's a considerable search, and prices are not amenable to jumping and leaping about with joy. I Use RMR (Rocky Mountain Reloading) for bullets, Hodgdon (directly) for Powders, and just bagged a couple of bricks of new Win Primers on a one-time deal. Not the cheapest, but stuff costs what stuff costs. My purchases are minuscule in the long view.

Last edited:

Our Daughter Jen is well established in my home, along with her Son, Patrick. She's working 6 days a week as a chef/cook at the Crystal Palace Restaurant in Tombstone, AZ. Her work schedule is all over the place, but she's happy with the arrangement, they're happy, and I am too. Personally I want for very little, although the VA and Social Security dropped out her income, and we're making do on about 40% less. We're making it, and this is not a plea for monetary assistance. Any recriminations I may have had about including Daughter Jen in my household have proven to be baseless; we are getting along quite wonderfully.

My lifestyle is much slower and quieter. Shooting is a very sometime thing for me these days. Between the weather and my health it's kind 'blink and you missed it' situation. Activity does and will continue, albeit at a more leisurely pace. The weather here, between the desert climate and the Altitude well above 4000ft make Spring and Autumn my preferred times for outings, and they go through like an express train. FWIW, my brain housing group still appears to remain in order.

I've transferred most of my 'lesser' guns to my next generation, but retain the 'interesting' ones for active play and accuracy exploration. I've kept the .30-'06, .308/7.62x51, .223/5.56, 20ga, and 9mm stuff. The only thing I'm shooting that isn't using my own handloads is the 9mm and the 20ga; and I'm in the process of bringing them online in the handloading shop. Shop is a misnomer, it's just the deep end of the garage with no environmental enhancement or significantly serious infrastructure.

The main thrust of the reloading will be split between load development and ammo to replace the stuff I use in shooting outings; so this will be a minimalist operation.

Celia's ashes are in an exquisitely beautiful urn which resides on the beam which spans our living room. She is in plain sight right there among us. I tend to be up latest watching TV, and sometimes I'll have a little silent conversation directed her way. I realize I may be spinning my wheels and that there's no point in straining to hear a response. But it's calming and cheering, and does no harm either way. Sometimes I'll tell her about my life, the family, the friends, and the neighborhood. If I've got confusions, I'll request here assistance at getting these mental cats in a herd. It takes the edge off the sadness, and who knows, It could be helpful both ways. I do it, I feel good doing it, and somehow, it seems to help.

Greg
Glad to hear that sir. There's a process for the social security and my mother has gone through it not long ago so get some council on that from a pro. There are some ins and outs to it that matter depending on age so it really is a good idea to get some advice there.

It's very normal to talk to her, you've been talking to her for so many years, there's no reason to stop doing that, and especially if it helps you to do it. Keep on keeping on sir.

Our Daughter Jen is well established in my home, along with her Son, Patrick. She's working 6 days a week as a chef/cook at the Crystal Palace Restaurant in Tombstone, AZ. Her work schedule is all over the place, but she's happy with the arrangement, they're happy, and I am too. Personally I want for very little, although the VA and Social Security dropped out her income, and we're making do on about 40% less. We're making it, and this is not a plea for monetary assistance. Any recriminations I may have had about including Daughter Jen in my household have proven to be baseless; we are getting along quite wonderfully.

I've transferred most of my 'lesser' guns to my next generation, but retain the 'interesting' ones for active play and accuracy exploration. I've kept the .30-'06, .308/7.62x51, .223/5.56, 20ga, and 9mm stuff. The only thing I'm shooting that isn't using my own handloads is the 9mm and the 20ga; and I'm in the process of bringing them online in the handloading shop. Shop is a misnomer, it's just the deep end of the garage with no environmental enhancement or significantly serious infrastructure.

Celia's ashes are in an exquisitely beautiful urn which resides on the beam which spans our living room. She is in plain sight right there among us. I tend to be up latest watching TV, and sometimes I'll have a little silent conversation directed her way. I realize I may be spinning my wheels and that there's no point in straining to hear a response. But it's calming and cheering, and does no harm either way. Sometimes I'll tell her about my life, the family, the friends, and the neighborhood. If I've got confusions, I'll request here assistance at getting these mental cats in a herd. It takes the edge off the sadness, and who knows, It could be helpful both ways. I do it, I feel good doing it, and somehow, it seems to help.

La Migra activity is there, but it's well hidden. Most folks around here go around strapped. We see helicopters and caravans of Border Agents buzzing by, all busy as bees, but still maintaining an even strain. any interactions between 'hikers' and our neighbors remains minimal. It's there, but it's not any kid of commotion. Nobody needs to be warned not to pick up hitchhikers. The general direction of the activity needle continues to trend upward; but folks are prepared for quite a lot, if needed.

Greg
Beautifully and articulately written I can feel your emotions thru the screen. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Don‘t know you but wish you the best and again sorry for your loss.

You folks lift me up!

Thank you, tremendously.

Greg

PS Frank, I know we haven't seen each other in well over a decade, but getting to know you in person right back after the site's beginning was both humbling and exulting. You keep doing what you're doing, and the many thousands of us on here will each and every one of us benefit in the process. You are both a hero and a force of nature to me. Know that when I read your posts, I hear them in your voice.

Kewl, Dewd!

GL

Last edited:
It sounds like you are making it ok. I don't know what I would do if something happened to my wife. She has been a good one and I was so lucky to snag her. 39 years have gone by so fast. I know loss of this type is a deep and slow healing wound. If you ever need an ear to listen, don't hesitate to reach out.

Funny the difference between men and women . Although I can intellectualize that women need empathy and quiet kind listening where as men need some type of resonating motivation .
I personally believe that we absorb layers of and mantras on our masculine journey . Movement is life .
"Walk or die " Tu Lam . Make it to the next samwich . Define the moment , what is your legacy ? All of it . I choose to believe from what I've read that you have whether consciously or not employed this . Whether the good Book or sage words from Gunny .
We cycle this thing we call life from desire to want to aggressive achievement , love , peace etc .

Bottom line is you are in the stage of your Warrior King . An archetype if you will . Blessing , Loving and sharing . Most importantly being .

I choose to say that I am somewhat envious of your stage of your journey . Mostly because of the been there done that and have experienced the payoff of your investment from work to love .
In summation I respectfully remind you that you didn't get this far on good looks and ya still got some ass left . Stay at it Marine and Gods Speed .

Our Daughter Jen is well established in my home, along with her Son, Patrick. She's working 6 days a week as a chef/cook at the Crystal Palace Restaurant in Tombstone, AZ. Her work schedule is all over the place, but she's happy with the arrangement, they're happy, and I am too. Personally I want for very little, although the VA and Social Security dropped out Celia's income, and we're making do on about 40% less. We're making it, and this is not a plea for monetary assistance. Any recriminations I may have had about including Daughter Jen in my household have proven to be baseless; we are getting along quite wonderfully.

There are now some days when I can get by with little or no O2. Others, not so much; and I still use the O2 when I'm sleeping (or driving...), religiously. I'm off it right now.

I've transferred most of my 'lesser' guns to my next generation, but retain the 'interesting' ones for active play and accuracy exploration. I've kept the .30-'06, .308/7.62x51, .260 Rem, .223/5.56, 20ga, and 9mm stuff. The only thing I'm shooting that isn't using my own handloads is the 9mm and the 20ga; and I'm in the process of bringing them online in the handloading shop. Shop is a misnomer, it's just the deep end of the garage with no environmental enhancement or significantly serious infrastructure. There's a solid bench that supports the RL550b like it's bolted into granite.

Celia's ashes are in an exquisitely beautiful urn which resides on the beam which spans our living room. She is in plain sight right there among us. I tend to be up latest watching TV, and sometimes I'll have a little silent conversation directed her way. I realize I may be spinning my wheels and that there's no point in straining to hear a response. But it's calming and cheering, and does no harm either way. Sometimes I'll tell her about my life, the family, the friends, and the neighborhood. If I've got confusions, I'll request her assistance at getting these mental cats in a herd. It takes the edge off the sadness, and who knows, it could be helpful both ways. I do it, I feel good doing it, and somehow, it seems to help.

La Migra activity is there, but it's well hidden. Most folks around here go around strapped. We see helicopters and caravans of Border Agents buzzing by, all busy as bees, but still maintaining an even strain. Some of the Agents are members of our local VFW Post. Any interactions between 'hikers' and our neighbors remains minimal. It's there, but it's not any kid of commotion. Nobody needs to be warned not to pick up hitchhikers. The general direction of the activity needle continues to trend upward; but folks are prepared for quite a lot, if needed.

Greg

PS, FWIW, I can still get hold of any needed powder, primer, and projectiles, but it's a considerable search, and prices are not amenable to jumping and leapin about with joy. I Use RMR (Rocky Mountain Reloading) for bullets, Hodgdon (directly) for Powders, and just bagged a couple of bricks of new Win Primers on a one-time deal. Not the cheapest, but stuff cost what stuff costs. My purchases are minuscule in the long view.

Good to see that your still on the boards amigo and carrying on with family.😎 Enjoy the cool weather while she lasts as our summer is coming shortly and we will long for winter once again. Keep on with those conversations with the misses as it may save you an ass chewing for ignoring her down the road when you see her again.😎

Good to see that your still on the boards amigo and carrying on with family.😎 Enjoy the cool weather while she lasts as our summer is coming shortly and we will long for winter once again. Keep on with those conversations with the misses as it may save you an ass chewing for ignoring her down the road when you see her again.😎

I had a Religious Education, so I doubt there would be any ass chewing. That's why it's called Heaven. Besides, remember; we're talking about Celia.

Each night, as I lay in my bed awaiting sleep, I say a sequence of prayers and chat at Celia about the recent days. Going to bed, going to sleep is so much easier, and pleasant now. When I came home from 'Nam in '67, I would have been fighting a pit filled with fright in my gut. That is gone, likely for good.

Going on a year tomorrow, I'll be at the VA for Direct Interface with my Primary Caregiver. June was a bad month medically for me. I took five ambulance rides, three to the local hospital, and two to the main VA Med Center for Southern AZ in Tucson (SAVAHCS). Altogether, I spent about 8 days at home in June. My condition has dropped a bigger notch in June, with AFIIB reducing me to 10% output from my Left Ventricle. I've got a few new wonder drugs, and I continue to hold a steady course.

I just throttle back to a more sensible pace. (Amazing how hard it is to remember to slow down.)

Jen is working in The Tombstone Performance zone as a Main Cook and as a performer and server (Crystal Palace). Patrick works for me, and has done several thousand bucks worth of car repairs, all the time refusing any payment. My Van is 12 years old now, and is in very good shape at somewhere around 220,000 miles. AZ miles are nearly all highway miles. There are 4 brand new Pirelli Defender Tires just newly mounted, and the rest of the minor annoyances are relatively trivial.

As for cool weather, we've been there and back, and are headed back in.

I found an air conditioner/heater for under $500, and intend installing one in my shop so I can work most of the year round indoors, in a controlled environment.

I have thrown in the towel on LR shooting, my breathing sucks in prone position now. So I've switched my priorities over to be working on Rubber Powered Free Flight Model Aircraft. I have a respectable mound of supplies and specialized tools. Work commences quite soon.

So Greg's still cookin', Celia's still in my life, just differently; and Casa Langelius is a happy place, considering.

Greg

Last edited:
Greg,
The mind says we are still young and can, but the body tells us a different story. We all pay the price for having fun/years of hard abuse of our bodies.

The model aircraft sounds interesting. Post some pictures please when you get some time if you don't mind? I dabble in drones/quads for my flying fix. With my medical issues I will never be able to get a pilots license, sadly. I could learn and try finding an experimental but that is not currently in my wheelhouse since I have one in college, another about to go to college and other stuff.

I wish you the best.

V/R
Stefan

I had a Religious Education, so I doubt there would be any ass chewing. That's why it's called Heaven. Besides, remember; we're talking about Celia.

Each night, as I lay in my bed awaiting sleep, I say a sequence of prayers and chat at Celia about the recent days. Going to bed, going to sleep is so much easier, and pleasant now. When I came home from 'Nam in '67, I would have been fighting a pit filled with fright in my gut. That is gone, likely for good.

Going on a year tomorrow, I'll be at the VA for Direct Interface with my Primary Caregiver. June was a bad month medically for me. I took five ambulance rides, three to the local hospital, and two to the main VA Med Center for Southern AZ in Tucson (SAVAHCS). Altogether, I spent about 8 days at home in June. My condition has dropped a bigger notch in June, with AFIIB reducing me to 10% output from my Left Ventricle. I've got a few new wonder drugs, and I continue to hold a steady course.

I just throttle back to a more sensible pace. (Amazing how hard it is to remember to slow down.)

Jen is working in The Tombstone Performance zone as a Main Cook and as a performer and server (Crystal Palace). Patrick works for me, and has done several thousand bucks worth of car repairs, all the time refusing any payment. My Van is 12 years old now, and is in very good shape at somewhere around 220,000 miles. AZ miles are nearly all highway miles. There are 4 brand new Pirelli Defender Tires just newly mounted, and the rest of the minor annoyances are relatively trivial.

I found an air conditioner/heater for under $500, and intend installing one in my shop so I can work most of the year round indoors, in a controlled environment.

I have thrown in the towel on LR shooting, my breathing sucks in prone position now. So I've switched my priorities over to be working on Rubber Powered Free Flight Model Aircraft. I have a respectable mound of supplies and specialized tools. Work commences quite soon.

So Greg's still cookin', Celia's still in my life, just differently; and Casa Langelius is a happy place, considering.

Greg
Damn, after Frank's 'Prayers for Greg' post I thought we had lost you. I reckon I wasted all those hail Mary's. :cool:

Good to see youre still around, you old coot...is that still a word? From one coot to another.

Greg
Good hearing from you Greg

Reactions: lash
Condolences to you and your family, Prayers for a life lived and for those loved. Always good to see your updates.

I’ve been wondering how you were doing so it’s good to hear you. Great post Greg

Reactions: mtrmn
I was literally just thinking about you last night and almost made a post asking if anyone had heard from you but had to postpone till today. I get home today and login after work and bam, here is a post from you! Glad to see you post! Will continue to pray for you!

Reactions: oneshot86 and lash
She passed away quietly in her sleep at 9:30PM last night from hepatic failure. She had been dealing with it for about three years, but had hospitalized herself a week ago Friday. Saturday night, she became incoherent, and we were told this was it. We signed a DNR Monday, pursuant to her wishes, at a meeting with hospital staff that had been originally called to move her to a Nursing home. She was 72.

Our family is here, and they have most of the situation in hand; I'm doing the things that only I can do.

We shared 52 years of a wonderful marriage; one Daughter, Jen, three Grandkids, Elena, Patrick, and Kayce.

Please pray for her, and for us.

Greg
Man I'm so sorry

We've been busy the past month rescheduling last month's VA appointments, etc. I have resigned from VFW Leadership roles for the first time since 1993. They got all I had. Now it's about me and mine ( and that includes The 'Hide).

Just got off the phone with VA Outpatient Services. Starting tomorrow they are assigning personnel to assist me at home. Looks pretty heavy duty. I'll just suggest to the rest of us here that the VA has been amazingly helpful to me since my Second Lymphoma (Hodgkin's) back in 1997. I find that patience is absolutely necessary when dealing with VA. I just tell complainers to try bringing a book with them, it actually helps somewhat. And otherwise, they are from the Government, that they're there to help us Vets; and nobody's perfect at such things. Credit where credit is due...

For those interested in the Model Planes aspect, I recommend a site that demonstrates my meaning.

Another site with similar intent:

https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/index.php

This site is in a state of some flux, the admin died last week and it's being transferred, a companion site is still down. Hoping it comes back up in the new few days.

My own preference is for rubber power and tissue covering. I scratch build, which I define as building with separately purchased, etc., material components ( I work mostly in Balsa, but also do some small vacu-forming, a small commercial dental vacuum former); no kits. I can scale the plans bigger and smaller using the printer control panel. For scale, establishing maybe reachable limits, I build the scale models in 1/24 scale, limited to 1930's through the 1940's, all propeller driven. Yes, I do carve some of my own propellers. I have a lot of plans loaded up onto my 2TB backup drive. One thing I also do is maintain a healthy collection of plans for OPFOR designs (German, Italian, Japanese, Russian(?). Sometimes I even convert scale drawings into plans; my design techniques stress low weight, strong structures, and investing sweat equity into reconfiguring materials into convenient sizes and shapes (I.e. hand cut balsa strips, etc.). I went nuts trying to find a plan for the Kawasaki Ki-100, but threw in the towel and am nearly done with the project of drawing my own plans. It's not so hard, the Ki 100 is really just an improved Ki 62. I've been at this stuff since I was 4 years old, and can help others with info, etc.

Believe it or not, I get most of my materials off Amazon. I also build and try my hand at designing P-30 Class aircraft.

Greg

Last edited:
Greg,
I’m enjoying reading about your rubber powered planes. I have fond memories as a kid until my late teens, building balsa and tissue planes. At first of course, they were fairly simplistic. Then I got more and more involved and eventually started building my own by copying plans and cutting everything custom.

Personally I liked the structurally light builds better, as they were fairly authentic to how early planes were built. A favorite was a P38 with 36” wingspan. My last was a 6’ flying wing that looked cool as hell, but didn’t fly worth a hang. After crashing and repairing it a few times. I hung it in my room for looks.

It’s definitely something that I would do again. Great memories. All except the smell of the dope used to finish them with. I never liked that much at all.

It’s definitely something that I would do again. Great memories. All except the smell of the dope used to finish them with. I never liked that much at all.
Just work in an unvented and pretty soon you wont care. A bit longer and you'll love it.

We have a healthy club near my home but I've never seen them fly.

Chisholm Trail RC Squadron Inc​

1695849278571.png
Academy of Model Aeronautics
https://www.modelaircraft.org › club › chisholm-trail-...

Chisholm Trail RC Squadron Inc ; Club Number: 1050 ; Members: 18 ; Site Detail: 172729 North 2910 Road, Duncan, OK, 73533 ( 34.512008, -97.813331 ) Get Directions.

Last edited:
I tried RC, a Mr. E with Galloping Ghost R/C. 1965. I got drafted and when I got back it was a pile of crashed wreckage. My Elder Brothers had decided to give it a try. Disastrous.

I concluded that Power jobs were too much extra dreck-age, and when my Brother Bob brought his three sons to Columbia University to fly EZB and Penny Plane inside the Lowe Memorial Rotunda Dome, I also joined CIMAS (Columbia Indoor Model Society). Our Daughter Jen also got into it ,and set an Indoor Penny Plane Junior Duration National Record. I was her Mentor through all of it, along with Ron Williams. Loved it. We all (Celia and I, Jen and her 3 kids) recreated together, including Co-Ed Venture Crew Scouting, until 2006. I joined Scouting in 1953 as a Cub, and remained continuously until 2006. In all that time, I never met another Scouting Leader who had no sons.

Regarding Model A/C Dope, I have substituted Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer. It does everything Clear Aero Gloss did, and is pretty easy to find. But it does not have and need not have hot fuel proofing. I have all the components and tools I need, but I neither lend nor share them; they were like pulling teeth to find and amass over 20 years or so.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggot and lash
I also use it for sanding sealer.

Apply a light, even coat to the raw balsa surface and immediately sand over it lightly with 220 grit sandpaper. The sawdust it creates gets bound by the damp Minwax, and is allowed to harden. Then sand it with 220 or finer git and remove the excess surface balsa dust. Stop when you start to expose the raw balsa again. You will find that the surface is now much smoother, and the grain is sealed against things like water, moisture, etc. Repeat if you like, and finish with a light coat of Minwax. It also comes in a semigloss version.

I use the Minwax to bond tissue to wood. Crumple the tissue thoroughly, then delicately smooth it back out. Maybe repeat.

Coat the receiving balsa surface/framework with Minwax, maybe even twice, and allow it to dry completely. Take strip of the tissue and cut it out with about 3/4" of excess border. At one end of the panel being covered, lay the tissue evenly over, allowing the border to drape. Atop the tissue, apply a small dot of acetone/thinner, and let it dry. This will bond the tissue to the frame. Stretch the remaining tissue strip at the other end and gently pull the new end a bit wider, until it lays flat.

Everything should be in a state of gentle tension. While holding, do the bonding trick again, and hold it undisturbed until the tissue bond is reliable. All around the border, pull the tissue border gently out and run the acetone along the very edge of where the framework touches it. Hold until bonded.

Finally, to shrink the tissue and get best form fit, spray a light mist of water into the air at about eye level, and immediately wave the covered framework through the cloud, It only takes a little bit of water, and you can repeat it after drying to tighten the fit a bit more.

I sometimes substitute rubbing alky for the water. The reduced water content can be used to ease up the tightening of the tissue.

Much of what we do is intended to reduce structural warps. Whatever we do, we try to duplicate on the other side of the centerline. This is key to reducing/eliminating warps.

This shrink process should suck the tissue down to the framework and even bring the tissue to perfect smooth coverage of the compound curves. This also eliminates the maddening cut and piece together process that requires a covering made from many small pieces. Finish up with a coat of thinned Minwax over the entire piece.

Camo and paint is heavy, and impairs the flight characteristics. I maintain a wide variety of colored tissues, overlay the single shade panels with camo shapes of the proper shades. The same crumple, stretch, and dot process is used. In general, I try to use only the minimum amount of paint, like black for engines, etc.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: lash and Maggot
I also use it for sanding sealer.

Apply a light, even coat to the raw balsa surface and immediately sand over it lightly with 220 grit sandpaper. The sawdust it creates gets bound by the damp Minwax, and is allowed to harden. Then sand it with 220 or finer git and remove the excess surface balsa dust. Stop when you start to expose the raw balsa again. You will find that the surface is now much smoother, and the grain is sealed against things like water, moisture, etc. Repeat if you like, and finish with a light coat of Minwax. It also comes in a semigloss version.

I use the Minwax to bond tissue to wood. Crumples the tissue thoroughly, then delicately smooth it back out. Maybe repeat.

Coat the receiving balsa surface/framework with Minwax, maybe even twice, and allow it to dry completely. Take strip of the tissue and cut it out with about 3/4" of excess border. At one end of the panel being covered, lay the tissue evenly over, allowing the border to drape. Atop the tissue, apply a small dot of acetone/thinner, and let it dry. This will bond the tissue to the frame. Stretch the remaining tissue strip at the other end and gently pull the new end a bit wider, until it lays flat.

Everything should be in a state of gentle tension. While holding, do the bonding trick again, and hold it undisturbed until the tissue bond is reliable. All around the border, pull the tissue border gently out and run the acetone along the very edge of where the framework touches it. Hold until bonded.

Finally, to shrink the tissue and get best form fit, spray a light mist of water into the air at about eye level, and immediately wave the covered framework through the cloud, It only takes a little bit of water, and you can repeat it after drying to tighten the fit a bit more.

I sometimes substitute rubbing alky for the water. The reduced water content can be used to ease up the tightening of the tissue.

Much of what we do is intended to reduce structural warps. Whatever we do, we try to duplicate on the other side of the centerline. This is key to reducing/eliminating warps.

This shrink process should suck the tissue down to the framework and even bring the tissue to perfect smooth coverage of the compound curves. This also eliminates the maddening cut and piece together process that requires a covering made from many small pieces. Finish up with a coat of thinned Minwax over the entire piece.

Camo and paint is heavy, and impairs the flight characteristics. I maintain a wide variety of colored tissues, overlay the single shade panels with camo shapes of the proper shades. The same crumple, stretch, and dot process is used. In general, I try to use only the minimum amount of paint, like black for engines, etc.

Greg
Thanks for the ti[p on the Minwax brushing lacquer.. I have some high quality hard wood plywood Ive been trying to get a smooth gloss coat but no mater how many coats of paint I use there fine grain shows. Needs a sealer...got it.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
In some way, this method duplicates some of the steps I use to finish a stock with BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil; fill and sand the wood grain, I sand stocks with steel wool). The idea is to lay down a layer or layers of sealer until it reaches above the height of the wood grain, then cut it back down until the top surface is bridged by the sealer.

I also use carbon fiber tubes for tail booms. I reinforce them with tissue bonded to the entire outer surface using the Minwax. CF tubes have poor torsional strength, and the tissue enlists paper fibers arranged at random angles. This improves on the torsional problems with minimal added weight; and there's nothing wrong with an additional layer.

Paper can be employed to make very strong structures, including body armor; the Samurai were using it pre-1800's. They also used silk. Most non-metallic armor is made from artificial fibers bound in a strong resin. A cheap anthropomorphic target molding makes a good form for laying up the armor materials.

Plywood often becomes available with a fine grain wood veneer on one side. If you have the plywood, but it has no veneer, It can be bought in a very thin layer rolled up, and bonded to your plywood.

Greg

Last edited:
Stefan, my body reflects on my experiences. I owe my body to Agent Orange, and now, Covid, too.

Some folks will grouse because they don't have someone else's luck; but we all have some sort of issues as we get old, and honestly, it's just another branch on the "Normal Tree". I don't feel denied or robbed, it's perfectly normal for "My Life". I can't live somebody else's life.

BTW, I don't do pictures. In the time since 2001 (when I joined here) I never have. Actually, I joined when this was the LowLight Directive site.

Sometime over a decade ago, there was a photo of me rolling out of a prone position posted on the site, submitted by a fellow shooter. Fine, but I'd have been just as happy without it.

Greg

Last edited: