• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakote cook time

mtorrey53

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2013
Is there an advantage of heating for 2 hours at 250 degrees vs 1 hour at 300? Does it cure better? Is it a stronger finish? Does the color stay the same?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can't answer if the durability is different, I'm assuming it's not otherwise Cerakote probably wouldn't give the option. I have seen where thinner metal pieces like an EoTech hood had a slightly different color than an AR upper and lower at 300 degrees. This was Magpul FDE and the hood came out a little darker. I'm not sure if I had it too close to the heating element but I redid it at 250 degrees and it came out fine. I prefer to stick with 250 if I have the time, but I haven't had too many troubles with 300.

I've noticed things curing better at around 215 for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. I'll do a big load in one color and just start drinking and forget about them. They come out feeling like the aluminum (or polymer in some cases) came from the factory in that shade. I think the blast media that you use to prep also makes a huge difference...

For polymer (which I bake separately from aluminum) I leave in for 3 hours on 165 and they turn out awesome...

I use safety play sand with a respirator. The Cerakote sticks to it like crazy. Also much easier to get in my home town. I bake at 250 for three hours. I find washing the part in Hot filtered water with 1 cup/gallon of simple green followed by a spray down with 99% Iso Alcohol before the Pre bake than spraying the part while still rather warm with multiple very light coats creates the best finish.

Surprisingly I've found 80 grit aluminum oxide to work best. I started with 120 grit Garnett sand, down to 100 grit alum oxide and then finally the 80 grit. It's the PERFECT media to quickly blast through an entire project.