• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Cerakote question

devcam

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2012
Does anyone have any experience with shel lab ovens for cerakote curing application. They're quite pricy and I'm sure a great product but just curious about it being worth the investment over home made.

Does anyone have any experience with shel lab ovens for cerakote curing application. They're quite pricy and I'm sure a great product but just curious about it being worth the investment over home made.

I would look for a food warmer or food holding box. You can pick them up off craigslist for pretty inexpensive. I found a really nice big oven I could fit about 3 humans in but I didnt have the room for it at the time, it was $800. I ended up getting two roll around food holding warmers for $100 each and put a oven element and PID controller on it and I was rollin. Total investment in it was about $250 each.

Just a thought,
Casey

Thanks for the reply, home made seems to be a pretty easy and inexpensive way to go, I just worry about consistency in temperature and being able to avoid hot spots during the process. I'm pretty new to the whole thing so just trying to figure out the best approach.

I also picked up a food warmer oven for around $400. I could stand in it if I wanted (if I stooped down). It's got a pretty big chamber. I got a PID controller, figured out how to set the settings (off of a home brew forum) and I was all set! The nice thing about it is that it has a fluorescent light inside the chamber and also a fan, so it circulates the air on it's own. The only issue I have had is that I can't go above 250F. I tried taking it up to 300-350F and the walls swelled and started popping at the seams... some minor repair and I was g2g, but I won't be doing that again!

I dont have any problems with uneven temps in the oven. With cerakote you'll be fine without a fan, I looked at installing one but its not needed.

Casey

I agree... If you look back at the history of the instructions of cerakote application I have found where the directions as far as temp /time goes have varied significantly.... I don't think it has to be perfect. What is probably more important is that your air that you are using is dry...

Alot of great info, I appreciate you guys, thanks. Anyone else have some great ideas feel free to throw down.

So how about ALS ovens, anyone have experience with those?

I am a certified Cerakote Applicator and while I have Iwata HVLPs and Cam Air 5 stage CT 30 air filter/dryer system what I refuse to is spend thousands of dollars on a curing oven that barley fits one rifle and only costs the manufacture a few hundred to make.

I built my own customer ovens that are very large ( interior curing space is 40" x 32" x 18" ), portable, has very good insulation that hold heat extremely well and can operate up to 1200 degrees F, require very little power to maintain temp, has digital PID and costs less than $400 to make.