• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Cerakote - remove barrel or not

Hosshunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2012
North Texas
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether to remove the barrel to apply Cerakote to a bolt action rifle. I understand that getting the coating on the mating surfaces could increase headspace when reassembled but painting it in place would seem like a problem when you had to remove the barrel. I personally cant see me "shooting out" a barrel and having to replace it.

Do not remove the barrel. Plug the chamber with a wad of paper towel. The inside will get media in it, but that is easy to remove/clean out later. I personally plug the muzzle end with a bullet of the correct caliber by lightly tapping into the bore. It will not hurt your crown as some people reading this are already thinking. Bullets are made from copper and lead. The barrel is steel. I have been doing it this way for a while now with no issues. Good luck with your project.

If you are sending the rifle out to be coated why does it matter if the barrel is removed or not? Most professional shops do disassemble the gun before coating it.
If you want to do it yourself there are obvious reasons why you could not remove the barrel at home. When I used to do coating for friends I would plug up the breech of the action and use a foam ear plug on the muzzle. But even if you get a little coating in the crown area or bore the first couple shots will blow it all out.

ive never removed a barrel from an action to cerakote. i've done a whole lot of coating. i can see zero reason for doing that but i do shoot barrels out as well so...

Do not have to remove the barrel, if degreased and prepared properly there shouldn't be any issue painting it together.

You may want to hang it muzzle up. I just Cerakoted my 70's era Mossberg 500 and despite soaking in DA/prebaking 3 times, I still had oil seepage between the barrel and locking lug (I always thought they were 1 piece, now I see they're threaded together). I hung it muzzle up so any remaining oil dripped back into the chamber.

As said above, don't remove the barrel. Also, the easiest way I have found to hang a barreled action is to get a piece of deprimed brass and run a wire through the flash hole and tie a knot in the end so it can't pull through. Then push the wire through the barrel and let the brass slide into the chamber...done.