• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing cerakote

How thick do you want it?

Seriously, a thou is minimum. I've never tested/measured, but some lighter colors are more semi-transparent than others and take multiple passes to cover -FDE is a good example- while black can be a single, light pass and cover just fine. I think realistically one should expect two thou if you're asking because you're concerned about tolerances .

thx guys I am concerned about tolerances between the muzzle end of my barrel nut and the barrel

thx guys I am concerned about tolerances between the muzzle end of my barrel nut and the barrel

Plenty of clearance there, no worries.
If you're Cerakoting individual parts and not the assembled receiver be sure to mask off the barrel threads as well as the internal threads on the nut.

How many passes are you guys doing to get a final finish ? I just sprayed an AR15 upper/lower and handguard in OD green today I turned down the pressure and covered the inside first then sprayed the outside. It took another coat to blend the outside color.
It looks great but have no idea how thick the finish ended up ?

I've been doing a real thin coat to hit tough angles then come back with a good fan and hit it enough to get full coverage and call it good. I've tested and its slightly over a thou and all the abuse i tried to make if fail on nothing happened other then the wire wheel after some time but thats obvious