• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Cerakoting bolts?

Really depends on the action. My Remington 700 actions work great with the entire bolt cerakoted.

Actions with tighter tolerances sometimes bind when you coat the action and bolt...which is why you often see actions painted and the bolt melonited or parkarized with only the handle and shroud painted.

True. As long as it's not a custom built bolt action I would think you would be more than safe doing the bolt body if you leave the lugs alone. I wouldn't paint the lugs unless you mic'd it. If you really wanted to be on the safe side you could go with Cerakote's Microslick, it's about a quarter to a half as thick as their normal cerakote paint.

When you paint a car, do you leave the fenders and doors in bare steel?

A house?

Maybe a barn?

If your ceracote applicator can't fit parts before hand to ensure stuff will work I'd suggest finding another vendor. It's not hard. It just takes some time. There hasn't been an action yet that we've not been able to completely coat.

C.

Chads right, to me it looks tacky when a bolt is left uncoated. From what I have found you need about .0015 on each side of the bolt to run smooth without binding. I see most stock remington raceways run .701-.7025 dia and stock remington bolts vary. Just have one today on a SA run .693 and a LA run .697. Never ran into a stock remington that was tight after coating. Custom actions yes, you just need to be aware of it and adjust your gun when spraying the cerakote so your getting a lighter coat but coverage still on the raceways and dont get a heavy finger on the bolt either. So colors of cerakote seem to go on and be thinner then others.

Casey