• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Challenges/Exercises for range time

TheLimey

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2020
New-ish shooter here. I just bought a Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmore with a VX-3i LRP FFP scope. I love it.

I'm having a lot of fun at the Angeles shooting range out to 600 yds. Ideally, I'd be going out to longer distances going forward but I don't think there's a range in the LA area that goes beyond 600.

I'm wondering how I can make my range time more engaging now I have things dialed in.

Does anybody have any range exercises/challenges they go through with their rifles to keep it interesting?

I just practice in different positions and work on making myself uncomfortable while still making the bullet go where it want it to when I want it to.

I made the ladder on the left to work on different height increments, up on my toes, comfortable height, bent over, on my hands and knees etc, I have the other props to offer different things.
The rocks are for uneven surfaces but sort of flat surfaces that I was getting whooped on at the local matches where you have to decide on if a bag or a bipod is the best option, Im working on both ways.
The spool laid on its side is just for shooting off round stuff that will rock forwards or backwards, the spool on end rotates a bit so loading into the rifle too much and too off center will spin you off target a bit, the barrel on the far right is just tougher than hell to actually get on look through the scope, much less stable, to shoot off of. Makes you focus on keeping your body influence on the rifle minimized so I dont pull it off target trying to move my trigger finger.
490DDD9D-A09B-4A97-B4B4-D10C80FAF9A5.jpeg

Basically when I find I need to work on something Ill get the welder out to make a prop or the skid steer and move stuff like those big ass rocks (pics are from when I just put them in a few weeks ago, crow bar in the back was for fine positioning of the top one).
Right now I really need to work on my prone which is my biggest weakness according to my scores so Im going to be focusing on laying in the dirt more in the next couple months than my positional practice that Ive been hitting hard.

BD11863B-A3BF-49A1-A162-AE6935C0AB37.jpeg

I like to shoot one shot off of each position and see its impact and then move, the subsequent follow up shots are the easy points, its those first round hits that are the real challenge for me. Quickly reading the wind and making an appropriate call for the distance. If I find something thats posing an issue I will shoot more until I figure out how to overcome that issue.

Basically, whatever keeps you entertained and motivated. Cant be too easy otherwise theres no satisfaction in doing it. Cant be too difficult or youre going to get discouraged. Just work on pushing your comforts a bit each time and you should see marked improvement.

If you dont have your own place it may be a bit tougher to do all that but I know of plenty of people who take a little step ladder or small barricade that they can break down and fit in the back of the car.

Last edited:
There is several different targets you can download to give you different challenges at shooting just paper at 100 yards if you want.

Dot Drills - There is a Snipershide dot drill target. Targets can be .5-1moa. Whatever you want. You can tackle each row of dots differently. Strong side, Weak side. Standing up and dropping down to the gun in a certain time frame. Standing up with the gun and dropping down etc.

Max Ordinate Target - Go to their website. They have a target with varying size circles and the instructions are printer right on it.

There is tons you can do but if PRS is your thing or you want it to be then getting off your belly is probably the best practice that you can do like spife has provided above.

I just practice in different positions and work on making myself uncomfortable while still making the bullet go where it want it to when I want it to.

I made the ladder on the left to work on different height increments, up on my toes, comfortable height, bent over, on my hands and knees etc, I have the other props to offer different things.
The rocks are for uneven surfaces but sort of flat surfaces that I was getting whooped on at the local matches where you have to decide on if a bag or a bipod is the best option, Im working on both ways.
The spool laid on its side is just for shooting off round stuff that will rock forwards or backwards, the spool on end rotates a bit so loading into the rifle too much and too off center will spin you off target a bit, the barrel on the far right is just tougher than hell to actually get on look through the scope, much less stable, to shoot off of. Makes you focus on keeping your body influence on the rifle minimized so I dont pull it off target trying to move my trigger finger.
View attachment 7355064

Basically when I find I need to work on something Ill get the welder out to make a prop or the skid steer and move stuff like those big ass rocks (pics are from when I just put them in a few weeks ago, crow bar in the back was for fine positioning of the top one).
Right now I really need to work on my prone which is my biggest weakness according to my scores so Im going to be focusing on laying in the dirt more in the next couple months than my positional practice that Ive been hitting hard.

View attachment 7355069

I like to shoot one shot off of each position and see its impact and then move, the subsequent follow up shots are the easy points, its those first round hits that are the real challenge for me. Quickly reading the wind and making an appropriate call for the distance. If I find something thats posing an issue I will shoot more until I figure out how to overcome that issue.

Basically, whatever keeps you entertained and motivated. Cant be too easy otherwise theres no satisfaction in doing it. Cant be too difficult or youre going to get discouraged. Just work on pushing your comforts a bit each time and you should see marked improvement.

If you dont have your own place it may be a bit tougher to do all that but I know of plenty of people who take a little step ladder or small barricade that they can break down and fit in the back of the car.
Cheers spife7980! That's a sweet set up. I wish I could do something like that but I'm not even sure they'd let me.

I was watching someone using a ladder as practice for PRS the other day on YouTube and you're taking it up a notch there. I haven't even started to move around while shooting. My tikka is a bit of a heavy MFer tbh. I need lighter rifle that's a bit easier to shoulder and move around. I'm usually on the bench at my range. I tried prone but there's a bit of an incline at Angeles and my 6-inch Harris didn't quite workout for comfort...maybe I could try a bag..something equivalent to your spool.

There is several different targets you can download to give you different challenges at shooting just paper at 100 yards if you want.

Dot Drills - There is a Snipershide dot drill target. Targets can be .5-1moa. Whatever you want. You can tackle each row of dots differently. Strong side, Weak side. Standing up and dropping down to the gun in a certain time frame. Standing up with the gun and dropping down etc.

Max Ordinate Target - Go to their website. They have a target with varying size circles and the instructions are printer right on it.

There is tons you can do but if PRS is your thing or you want it to be then getting off your belly is probably the best practice that you can do like spife has provided above.
Cheers Sogan.

Adding movement and taking away stability is def a way to make things challenging. My rifle is a bit heavy for moving around...but that PRS thing looks like a lot of fun. I'm gonna have to buy another rifle now :) ffs ...the better half will be pleased. And it's your fault!

Didn't quite get how the holdover challenge works on max ordinate. Can't find a pdf of those SH dot drills but they look awesome. When you say strong side, weak side you mean shooting south paw, right? Hadn't thought of that ... miserable failure awaits I'm sure.

Cheers spife7980! That's a sweet set up. I wish I could do something like that but I'm not even sure they'd let me.

I was watching someone using a ladder as practice for PRS the other day on YouTube and you're taking it up a notch there. I haven't even started to move around while shooting. My tikka is a bit of a heavy MFer tbh. I need lighter rifle that's a bit easier to shoulder and move around. I'm usually on the bench at my range. I tried prone but there's a bit of an incline at Angeles and my 6-inch Harris didn't quite workout for comfort...maybe I could try a bag..something equivalent to your spool.
The heavy rifles make it easy to stay pointed where you shoot them after the recoil, you’ll come to appreciate it in time.

I recommend a full size game changer or fortune cookie if you’re having to make up a big height differential and it’s great as a rear bag or prop bag turned on it’s other various smaller dimensions. It seems dumb to spend 100 bucks on it but I (nor my mothers sewing machine, I’ve asked) can make something that substantial with a great support media and it makes the shooting so much more enjoyable.

Reactions: TheLimey
I'm having a lot of fun at the Angeles shooting range out to 600 yds. Ideally, I'd be going out to longer distances going forward but I don't think there's a range in the LA area that goes beyond 600.

There's a crap ton of BLM land not too far away, along with some national forest. I'm up in the Bay Area, and you have a lot more, closer options than I do. You're allowed to shoot on both types of public land as long as you follow some common sense rules.

There's a crap ton of BLM land not too far away, along with some national forest. I'm up in the Bay Area, and you have a lot more, closer options than I do. You're allowed to shoot on both types of public land as long as you follow some common sense rules.
Thanks ... I’ll investigate. Hadn’t thought of that.

Don’t dial your elevation, to practice hold overs.

Dial windage when there isn’t wind, to practice holding for wind.

Shoot in alternate positions.

Shoot under time restrictions.

Smaller targets.
Good call on not dialing ... I’ve been practicing not dialing elevation but haven’t tried windage. I’ll try that next time.

Reactions: A&8's
I like tying 2 different colored balloons together on the same string, and trying to pop one balloon without popping the other.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Thanks ... I’ll investigate. Hadn’t thought of that.

Ranges have their place, but nothing beats being out in the middle of nowhere, lobbing bullets as far as you can set and see a target. You will want to get some steel... :)

So many things you can do man, load that motherfucker up with trailboss and some draggy ass bullets and you’ll have to really work to lob em out there.

If you can find a shooting buddy then that makes a world of difference to how much you enjoy range time.

You can work as a shooter/spotter team your buddy calls a target and times you to range and hit it from various positions, play H O R S E with barricades and wonky positions, if you can shoot at night then have your buddy “spotlight” targets for you, shoot at full magnification, minimum magnification, dialling dope and holding over.

I really like using what I call “race racks”. Basically two rows of clays right ontop of each so you can see you and your opponents rows and if you miss low (or high if you are the bottom row) you will likely your opponents clay and he will catch up. Race to break your clays first in various positions or obstacles.

O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O

So many things you can do.
If you are shooting paper then stop doing that and start ringing steel, it is much more engaging to see a hit on steel and the big pause and whack of the impact is addictive (particularly as you push further out). Never send a second round onto a target after you have made a hit without changing position first.

Half load a few mags or have a buddy load an unknown amount of rounds (or a couple snap caps) into a few mags and run through your drills.

Have them dial a slightly off, but sensible drop/windage, spot your first miss and try to make a few hits at various distances just using the corrected holdover.

Etc etc etc

I’ll second the Max Ord drills on their website. Paper never lies lol
One thing you can also do is add in physical stress and see how it influences your performance. Grab a few playing cards and write the range’s targets on them. Do air squats and push ups to get the blood going then drop down, flip over a random card, and engage the target listed with only one round. Same can be done with T-box targets at 100 and 200YDS.

something that I have not done.... but which seems like an interesting way to learn flight patterns... shoot tracers occasionally... you might be surprised at what you learn

• Haha
Reactions: M8541Reaper
something that I have not done.... but which seems like an interesting way to learn flight patterns... shoot tracers occasionally... you might be surprised at what you learn
1. Most, if not all public ranges forbid the use of tracers.
2. The OP appears to be located in Cali...which is a state that loves their wildfires.
3. You can watch the trajectory with a spotting scope or through the rifle scope.
4. OP, don’t be that guy shooting fuckin tracers at your public range and starting a brush fire which would then ruin the rest of the shooting day for everyone else around you (at a minimum).

1. Most, if not all public ranges forbid the use of tracers.
2. The OP appears to be located in Cali...which is a state that loves their wildfires.
3. You can watch the trajectory with a spotting scope or through the rifle scope.
4. OP, don’t be that guy shooting fuckin tracers at your public range and starting a brush fire which would then ruin the rest of the shooting day for everyone else around you (at a minimum).
exactly right on all points....

I’ll second the Max Ord drills on their website. Paper never lies lol
One thing you can also do is add in physical stress and see how it influences your performance. Grab a few playing cards and write the range’s targets on them. Do air squats and push ups to get the blood going then drop down, flip over a random card, and engage the target listed with only one round. Same can be done with T-box targets at 100 and 200YDS.
Checking out the Max Ord stuff ... the card idea is great ...I'll try that. Not sure I can be arsed with the pushups tho ;-)

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Ranges have their place, but nothing beats being out in the middle of nowhere, lobbing bullets as far as you can set and see a target. You will want to get some steel... :)
It sounds awesome. How does it work in practice? Do I just drive out in the middle of BLM region and set up a plate? Can you really just set up anywhere where it's safe?

So many things you can do man, load that motherfucker up with trailboss and some draggy ass bullets and you’ll have to really work to lob em out there.

If you can find a shooting buddy then that makes a world of difference to how much you enjoy range time.

You can work as a shooter/spotter team your buddy calls a target and times you to range and hit it from various positions, play H O R S E with barricades and wonky positions, if you can shoot at night then have your buddy “spotlight” targets for you, shoot at full magnification, minimum magnification, dialling dope and holding over.

I really like using what I call “race racks”. Basically two rows of clays right ontop of each so you can see you and your opponents rows and if you miss low (or high if you are the bottom row) you will likely your opponents clay and he will catch up. Race to break your clays first in various positions or obstacles.

O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O

So many things you can do.
If you are shooting paper then stop doing that and start ringing steel, it is much more engaging to see a hit on steel and the big pause and whack of the impact is addictive (particularly as you push further out). Never send a second round onto a target after you have made a hit without changing position first.

Half load a few mags or have a buddy load an unknown amount of rounds (or a couple snap caps) into a few mags and run through your drills.

Have them dial a slightly off, but sensible drop/windage, spot your first miss and try to make a few hits at various distances just using the corrected holdover.

Etc etc etc
No spotter/buddy yet I'm afraid. Like the race racks idea, spotting misses test and especially this one: "Never send a second round onto a target after you have made a hit without changing position first". Thanks!

Knock out 2 25 yards sprints in full kit...I said sprints not a jog you muppet.

50 air squats then 35 push ups full kit. Ass to grass soy boy and keep your back level on those push ups...ain't no brokeback mountain going on Sally.

2 more 25 yard sprints then run to your rifle and engage a 6" target at 600 in under 8 seconds after your body hits the dirt.

As always check with your doctor if you are over 40 and or have prior medical conditions before taking this medication.

Please consult with @TheGerman on your kit prior to engaging in this exercise for approval.

Knock out 2 25 yards sprints in full kit...I said sprints not a jog you muppet.

50 air squats then 35 push ups full kit. Ass to grass soy boy and keep your back level on those push ups...ain't no brokeback mountain going on Sally.

2 more 25 yard sprints then run to your rifle and engage a 6" target at 600 in under 8 seconds after your body hits the dirt.

As always check with your doctor if you are over 40 and or have prior medical conditions before taking this medication.

Please consult with @TheGerman on your kit prior to engaging in this exercise for approval.
I said "challenges" man

The only physical drill worth running are 2 way suicides.

Put 2 60% IPSC targets (or much smaller for a precision gun; 60% is for carbines) in the middle of a range facing away from each other.

Have lines on both sides at 10, 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 yards.

Start at the 50y line on either side. With 3 rounds maximum per distance, you're looking for a hit standing and then a hit kneeling. 3 rounds max or go to the next position; or move to the next position on a hit.

Then run (not walk, not hobble, not jog) towards the plate in the middle, stop at the 10y, draw sidearm, fire, 3 rounds max. Holster sidearm, continue to 50y line on other side.

Same thing, standing, kneeling, anytime you pass the 10y you use your sidearm and then head to the next furthest distance on the other side of the plates.

Wear your 'combat load' you envision wearing almost all of the time. By the time you're done with this it's something like 3/4 a mile.

Most of the people I've had/seen run this don't finish or by the time they're in the 150/200 yard range basically dont hit shit and are already thinking about taking up golf.

Physical drills focused on precision guns are dumb unless its some kind of break contact drill. You'll either be in a static defensive position, moving quietly to another position or in contact where your stand off advantage goes to shit quickly. Focus on moving with weight/a carbine and add the precision gun for more weight as well as the pain in the ass it is to have a second slung weapon on you.

Last edited:
  • Haha
The only physical drill worth running are 2 way suicides.

Put 2 60% IPSC targets (or much smaller for a precision gun; 60% is for carbines) in the middle of a range facing away from each other.

Have lines on both sides at 10, 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 yards.

Start at the 50y line on either side. With 3 rounds maximum per distance, you're looking for a hit standing and then a hit kneeling. 3 rounds max or go to the next position; or move to the next position on a hit.

Then run (not walk, not hobble, not jog) towards the plate in the middle, stop at the 10y, draw sidearm, fire, 3 rounds max. Holster sidearm, continue to 50y line on other side.

Same thing, standing, kneeling, anytime you pass the 10y you use your sidearm and then head to the next furthest distance on the other side of the plates.

Wear your 'combat load' you envision wearing almost all of the time. By the time you're done with this it's something like 3/4 a mile.

Most of the people I've had/seen run this don't finish or by the time they're in the 150/200 yard range basically dont hit shit and are already thinking about taking up golf.

Physical drills focused on precision guns are dumb unless its some kind of break contact drill. You'll either be in a static defensive position, moving quietly to another position or in contact where your stand off advantage goes to shit quickly. Focus on moving with weight/a carbine and add the precision gun for more weight as well as the pain in the ass it is to have a second slung weapon on you.
My new hobby shit just got real...

It sounds awesome. How does it work in practice? Do I just drive out in the middle of BLM region and set up a plate? Can you really just set up anywhere where it's safe?

There are BLM rules about shooting and then there are common sense rules on top of those. Below are the BLM ones, the national forest rules are similar

• Never shoot from or over any road or highway.
    Note: Sometimes there are tracks crisscrossing all over the place. Those do not necessarily count as roads. Common sense prevails here. Make sure you have clear visibility of ingress and egress routes. In national forest, you can add to this that you can't shoot over water. Also, in the national forest, you can't shoot within 150 yards from a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation area or occupied area - or into our out of a cave.
  • Always use a safe backdrop.
    Note: You want a dirt/hill backstop anyway so you can see your misses more easily. Lots of dry dirt down in your neck of the woods desert.
  • Glass and exploding targets are prohibited in some states.
    Note: Big pet peeve of mine is dealing with the trash that other shooters have left behind. Quickest way to lose this privilege is to abuse it. Clay targets in the desert? No. Bottles? No. Another big pet peeve are the morons who start wildfires by shooting at tannerite. Remember the 47,000 acre fire in AZ and CO because of a baby gender reveal gone bad? Just don't fucking do it. Another quick way to lose shooting spots is to start big fires by being a yahoo. If you want to see things react, set up soda cans - you can pick those up afterward. Besides, it's a hell of a lot of fun trying to hit a Coke can at 1000+. A friend and I have a Coke can challenge we do where we each set up Coke cans (Diet Coke, actually) at 100 yard increments starting at 300 yards. First miss loses.
  • Do not use plastic pellets, tracer rounds, exploding rounds, or steel-core rounds.
    Note: This should be common sense.
  • Do not attach targets to plants or place targets against rocks, plants, or solid objects. It is illegal to deface or destroy trees, signs, outbuildings, or other objects on federal lands.
    Note: Don't shoot trees. Don't shoot buildings. Check and check.
  • Carry in your targets and carry out all litter, brass and shell casings. All targets, shell casings, debris and trash must be removed.
    Note: See my answer above. Too many shooters are fucking lazy ass litterbugs. Don't be one of those.
  • Cross-country travel is not permitted outside of OHV Open Area boundaries, so please stay on designated routes.
    Note: Probably one of the tougher things about shooting on public land is not the part about finding 1+ mile sight lines (though in many areas that's a problem too), but rather it's finding 1+ mile sight lines with decent target access.
Here are some of my personal "rules" for shooting on public land:
  • I always call the local ranger station/BLM office to make sure there are no local restrictions in place. There is land around here that closes down to vehicle traffic during fire season, and also doesn't allow shooting after noon during this time. Of course, if you can't drive, you probably won't be carrying in your gear and steel targets, so the noon thing is moot. Other areas will close down during very dry conditions.
  • I don't shoot where there is a good chance of running into many people.
  • I always scout before I go shoot. It's nice to know what you're getting into and whether you have target access, etc. It's also nice to know where good ground is to set up. It's amazing how that perfect sight line goes to crap when you get prone down into the sage brush.
For your area, I'd look up by and beyond Tehachapi.

Last edited:
  • Love
Very good question on how to keep things interesting. And holy cow, some great answers. That's why I like it here.

I think I saw it mentioned above, but using a timer and adding par times (even during dry fire) is great for adding stress and challenges to your practice. Once you know you can do something, adding in time limits forces you to think outside the box, and quickly identifies where you are wasting movement or are doing something that takes too much time to execute properly. My biggest challenge in anything "PRS" related has not been with accuracy, it's been with meeting the time limits. As I learned in USPSA, its not a matter of learning to slow down to make your hits, its a matter of being fast AND accurate.

There are BLM rules about shooting and then there are common sense rules on top of those. Below are the BLM ones, the national forest rules are similar

• Never shoot from or over any road or highway.
    Note: Sometimes there are tracks crisscrossing all over the place. Those do not necessarily count as roads. Common sense prevails here. Make sure you have clear visibility of ingress and egress routes. In national forest, you can add to this that you can't shoot over water. Also, in the national forest, you can't shoot within 150 yards from a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation area or occupied area - or into our out of a cave.
  • Always use a safe backdrop.
    Note: You want a dirt/hill backstop anyway so you can see your misses more easily. Lots of dry dirt down in your neck of the woods desert.
  • Glass and exploding targets are prohibited in some states.
    Note: Big pet peeve of mine is dealing with the trash that other shooters have left behind. Quickest way to lose this privilege is to abuse it. Clay targets in the desert? No. Bottles? No. Another big pet peeve are the morons who start wildfires by shooting at tannerite. Remember the 47,000 acre fire in AZ and CO because of a baby gender reveal gone bad? Just don't fucking do it. Another quick way to lose shooting spots is to start big fires by being a yahoo. If you want to see things react, set up soda cans - you can pick those up afterward. Besides, it's a hell of a lot of fun trying to hit a Coke can at 1000+. A friend and I have a Coke can challenge we do where we each set up Coke cans (Diet Coke, actually) at 100 yard increments starting at 300 yards. First miss loses.
  • Do not use plastic pellets, tracer rounds, exploding rounds, or steel-core rounds.
    Note: This should be common sense.
  • Do not attach targets to plants or place targets against rocks, plants, or solid objects. It is illegal to deface or destroy trees, signs, outbuildings, or other objects on federal lands.
    Note: Don't shoot trees. Don't shoot buildings. Check and check.
  • Carry in your targets and carry out all litter, brass and shell casings. All targets, shell casings, debris and trash must be removed.
    Note: See my answer above. Too many shooters are fucking lazy ass litterbugs. Don't be one of those.
  • Cross-country travel is not permitted outside of OHV Open Area boundaries, so please stay on designated routes.
    Note: Probably one of the tougher things about shooting on public land is not the part about finding 1+ mile sight lines (though in many areas that's a problem too), but rather it's finding 1+ mile sight lines with decent target access.
Here are some of my personal "rules" for shooting on public land:
  • I always call the local ranger station/BLM office to make sure there are no local restrictions in place. There is land around here that closes down to vehicle traffic during fire season, and also doesn't allow shooting after noon during this time. Of course, if you can't drive, you probably won't be carrying in your gear and steel targets, so the noon thing is moot. Other areas will close down during very dry conditions.
  • I don't shoot where there is a good chance of running into many people.
  • I always scout before I go shoot. It's nice to know what you're getting into and whether you have target access, etc. It's also nice to know where good ground is to set up. It's amazing how that perfect sight line goes to crap when you get prone down into the sage brush.
For your area, I'd look up by and beyond Tehachapi.
Wow ..thanks for the intel ... appreciated. Don't worry: When I do it, I'll do it with Steel. (Opening track from my first album.) I'll check out Tehachapi ... agree a scouting trip is best ... I like to be prepared :)

Wow ..thanks for the intel ... appreciated. Don't worry: When I do it, I'll do it with Steel. (Opening track from my first album.) I'll check out Tehachapi ... agree a scouting trip is best ... I like to be prepared :)

What I do is go onto Google maps, the relief version, and look for flat areas in the map view. Then I go into satellite view to see what the ground cover looks like. I pin the map and get GPS coordinates, then go exploring.

What I do is go onto Google maps, the relief version, and look for flat areas in the map view. Then I go into satellite view to see what the ground cover looks like. I pin the map and get GPS coordinates, then go exploring.
Love it

New-ish shooter here. I just bought a Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmore with a VX-3i LRP FFP scope. I love it.

I'm wondering how I can make my range time more engaging now I have things dialed in.

Does anybody have any range exercises/challenges they go through with their rifles to keep it interesting?
California Tactical Academy 1000 yard range.

Youre welcome

Also, the San Diego Precision Rifle Club has a bitchin range and matches in Pala, CA. Fantastic people there as well.

@hic28 Can hook you up with The Knowledge.

Follow what @Rocketmandb said. You definitely need to cal the local BLM office. There is some good BLM areas past Palmdale. If you want to shoot at a range with a little more distance you could drive to Piru.

Shoot with Rifle supported by the different steps of a step ladder. Gets you out of a comfort zone. Shoot groups at 100 yards and concentrate on fundamentals. Eventually a lot of things are muscle memory.

Awesome, thank you. I have not been out to that area. I need to go there some time and give it a shot.