• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chambering A Barrel In The Steady Rest

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida
Before I get started, this thread is not intended to start any controversy, or spark any fires. It is also not intended to take away from any other way to do this job. It is just showing another way to chamber a barrel for a precision rifle that will yeild excellent results in accuracy. It will also help those whom don't know about it, and have a lathe with a long enough bed, but a small through hole in the head stock of their lathe. Another thing is that most guys don't have the equipment for using the indicating rod method, nor want to spend the money for what ever reason on the tools. In short, the thread is meant to help inform the ones that don't already know about it.

Here's what , and how I did it. The action is a Remington 700 that I bought new, and trued. The lug is a Holland lug I bought at Midway USA. I used a Bartlein Barrel with a 1 in 11 twist, and an M-24 contour which i finished at 24 inches withg an APA little Bastard Brake. Trigger is a Timney that I set at 1 1/4 lbs. The BDM is a left ovr I bought from Randy here on the Hide before he stopped making them. Stock is a McMillan A5, which is one of my favorite McM stocks.

I didn't take pictures as there is to much missed that way, so I made a video of the process I used. This process is the same one used in an AGI video which was made a long time ago. I believe Steve Akers is the gunsmith in that video in which the camera angles really suck. My video is not really a detailed how to course, but just a quik reference on how it's done. The last video shows the results on a target set at 100 yards today.

Chambering in the steady Part 1 - YouTube

Chambering in the steady part 2 - YouTube

Chambering in the steady part 3 - YouTube

Can't argue with the results. That's basically the way they taught us at Colo. School of Trades. I would recommend a precision live center for threading and a dead center in the muzzle and a lathe dog. Makes it a lot easier to clean chips and check thread fit.

I really want to buy a lathe so I can start doing my own gunsmithing. Looks Like a lot of fun, and very rewarding too. Nice work STR and thanks for the videos.

I really want to buy a lathe so I can start doing my own gunsmithing. Looks Like a lot of fun, and very rewarding too. Nice work STR and thanks for the videos.

Thank you. It is fun, and something you can do at any age. I always have a lot going on with a big family, but once in a while a get a little time all to my self, and my garage is were I spend it. Sometimes at the range if it happens during the weekend. I normally buy a new Remy 700 and set it aside along with other associated parts. You build it, shoot it a little, and sell it for the cost of parts. Then I do it all over again as time and desire permit.

You just can't fall in love with any of them because they will bankrupt you in a hurry. You don't need a super lathe either. You can get stated for under 6K if you're on a budget. It gives us guys and gals that like to build high performance things an opportunity to do so at a relatively low cost. It's also very self gratifying to shoot something you built your self.