• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Change Kestrel Unit name?

Mr Flannel

Self-Licking Icecream
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
Is there a way of renaming a kestrel 5700 unit from the default 'model-s/n' name that it appears as when linked to the Kestrel ballistics app? I've searched here, the kestrel site(s) and done a web search - and searched all unit and app settings - but have rolled a donut.

No doubt there's a simple method for doing this that'll make me feel like even more of a short bus passenger...

Oddly, my 5700 won't connect to the standard (non-ballistic) Link app at all - keeps giving a 'connection failed' message. It will connect to the Ballistics version with no issue at all. Have tried all the usual fixes, including switching BT connections on/off (kestrel and android phone) and uninstalling/reinstalling Link app. No joy.

It’s a Kestrel X, so that is the issue?

If so, is there anywhere I should look to find this info prior to taking up bandwidth here? No documentation that came with the X indicated this.

5700-X model. Recent ‘new’ model with a faster processor and a few other extra features. Have a look at the Kestrel Ballistics site.

I'll stick to my name for mine " work dam you no not again " .....I no sooner get my phone app to find my kestral start to hold up to read the wind and the app drops the kestral god help me if I try and link the wind meter and the laser range finder not that I don't like it or the unit its self they work appart just fine just not with the app that was supposed to be a simple link it up and use it is not so simple .. though I sort of think that's a good thing sort of I may be left or right in strong wind but can usually figure out my next round to hit within 3 shots usually and center hits in 4 again usually . we are really trying to make better wind calls without machines that could fail trying to anyway .