• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes changing my interest... change the scope

rusharp2

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Austin, TX
Not a typical what scope post, but close to it. I was shooting bench rest only at 100 and maybe 200. Purchased a Bushnell 5-15x40 (model 325154M), and it did really well. Now I am interested in moving out up to 1000yds, as I now have access to a much larger range.

So the question is will this scope be ok to start with? I think I can set the zero so I can still dial, but I am just unsure. I could trade/sell but I dont have the extra cash to go up to 1500 right now. I could chip in a couple of hundred, but would rather save up. IS the extra couple of hundred worth the target turrets? I like the bushnell so that is not an issue.

Sorry to add another scope post, but it is a whole different animal that i am only getting interested in long range. I have a Savage 243 for now.

Thanks,

Matt

Re: changing my interest... change the scope

If you are at a range with fixed target distances so you can adjust for one specific range and shoot it for a while before re-adjusting, shoot what you have for now and save up for something like a NF or similar.
Its what I would do anyway, bought half-ass stuff one time too many...

John - out

A good piece of glass is like a fine piece of ass. There is no known substitute known to man, and neither are cheap.

^^^^
BOOOM !!!

Matt_S, in my opinion tactical/target turrets are the best thing since sliced bread! Once you try them you wont wanna turn back!

Yes its worth saving up to get some fine glass.

In the mean time, get yourself a tapered base to give you a little extra reach.

Find out the total elevation adjustment available for your model scope. Buy an appropriate base. If you get a good base it will be transferable and something you can keep even when you get your new scope.

Or it may give you what you need and you might be fine.