• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chargemaster crapped out again

Jack Daniel

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2012
Wyo
This is the third one I've wore out. They keep replacing them I guess. Is there a better one to use? I've heard Hornady is kinda cheap. Lyman any good? The reviews say rcbs is the best, but wow, come on. Good thing I got two! Is this just as good as it gets? Should I just keep a fleet of these on hand or what? Too bad America can't make one. I don't give a crap if it cost 4x more. I hate disposable crap. JD

The keypad on my CM finally played out and I went back old school. Picked up a Belding and Mull off Ebay. Throws as accurate as my CM and much quicker. Montana Vintage Arms is making an updated, much nicer finished version of the B&M and I have one of them on order. I posted on another thread, but charge to charge variation with Ramshot Hunter was < .1gr with the B&M.

John

I borrowed a friends CM to try out last week. It has a very accurate electronic scale, but GAWD is it slow. I can throw and trickle almost twice as fast. How much faster is the Prometheus than the CM?

-Shaky

Not sure why people have so much trouble with Chargemasters. Mine has worked flawlessly right out of the box about 6 years ago. How much do I load? Lets just say that I receive 50# powder and pimer shipments every 10 months or so. So far I would estimate that my Chargemaster has handled over 250# of powder with the rest going though my Dillon 650 for pistol ammo.

Of course I learned long ago that anything with a plastic membrane touch pad was meant to be "touched", not pounded. Heck, I even have a cell phone that's going on 10 years. I just replace batteries rather than getting a new one every two years.

Of all the Auto powder dispensers out there the Chargemaster is probably as good as they get unless you want to spend 10 times the money and wait 2-3 years for one to be built for you (Prometheus).

jfields---

Check out accurateshooter.com's site for the way to speed up your CM. You can optimize all three speed settings to better match the powder you're using.

i have had the Hornady for quite some time with good results.

My Hornady and I have a love-hate relationship. I love how fast it is, and how accurate the scale is but I hate when it throws a .1 overage. I usually run it on slow to keep this from happening.

Just curious, but how exactly did it wear out? I've had no problems with my chargemaster but i'm not using it nearly as much as you. I've actually been eyeing an omega powder trickler so I'm throwing that out there as an option to you with the caveat that I've never personally used it.

My Hornady and I have a love-hate relationship. I love how fast it is, and how accurate the scale is but I hate when it throws a .1 overage. I usually run it on slow to keep this from happening.

there are some non published tricks to this machine... you can make it stop pouring fast earlier than normal in .2 grain incriments you can also set it to pulse poure instead of steady (not usfull) but i set it up to run on fast and if it over charges i just set it to slow down sooner...

there are some non published tricks to this machine... you can make it stop pouring fast earlier than normal in .2 grain incriments you can also set it to pulse poure instead of steady (not usfull) but i set it up to run on fast and if it over charges i just set it to slow down sooner...

Also, i believe, there are instructions on hornady's website on how to fine tune the speed on the auto charge to make it more accurate, i have done so on mine and haven't had any problems overcharging since, its usually done dispensing in the time it takes me to seat a bullet.

I
I can't find a website for Prometheus though?

The Owner/Builder of the Prometheus lives about 30 miles from me, as the crow flies. Way "out in the woods". Since each is hand built, and he has a multi-year backlog, chances are he doesn't want or need a website.

I've had good luck with my CM so far but it started doing some weird crap last loading session. I've got a bad feeling its coming....