• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chargemaster Lite- Need help from group

zami

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2018
I just got my Chargemaster Lite and it stops working after two or three charges of H4350. It works fine with Reloder 15 and CFE223 (only others I have tried so far). With the H4350, after it stops working, I have to dump the powder , clean it all out, then restart it. It then works for two or three more. I am guessing the bigger grain powder is somehow clogging it up. I called RCBS and they offered no help what so ever. Anyone here have this problem and how they overcame it?

Thank you in advance.

What do you mean with "stops working"
Is the machine powering off?
Does it even attempt to throw the powder out?
Any error messages on the screen?

I've never dealt with rcbs customer service before so I can't comment if that's normal of them to not help out..

I have seen multiple reviews of people who praise the lite model. Sounds like you could have a defective unit. I would try to exchange it with whomever you bought it from?

The unit does not power off but just does not throw a charge. After cleaning it out, it does work for a few more charges before it stops. It does this only with H4350 but works without missing a beat with CFE223 and Reloder 15, both powders are of a finer grain.

I am going to do as you suggest and contact the tech at Graf and Sons. The RCB guy basically said, "oh well".

Even with extruded powders like varget or 4350 it should not be doing that. In fact, people actually raved about how much the chargemaster lite shined when it came to these bigger powders.

Definitely contact the retailer you got it from and ask for an exchange. Unless there is some setting I don't know about, it seems you have a defective unit.

I have a cm lite but haven’t had any problems with it. Only thing I get is the occasional over throw with H4350. What’s your start up process? Do you let it warm up then calibrate it?

So ... the squirrel spins the tube for a while, nothing comes out, and the squirrel stops. Right?

Could it be that the powder is "bridging" so the threads inside the tube don't carry it down and dump it into the cup?

If that might be the case, think about where the bridge might be. You could find a small diameter rod that you can shove into the tube to break up the bridge. Or shake the heck out of the powder before you put it into the hopper so that it doesn't bridge. Or anything to prevent or reduce the bridging.

I have a standard CM and I have a little brass gizmo at the bottom end of the tube. Before the fancy brass gizmo, there was a very short section of MacDonalds straw in there. They both seem to improve the repeatability by avoiding that last little bump that drops five or ten grains of powder into the cup.

So ... the squirrel spins the tube for a while, nothing comes out, and the squirrel stops. Right?

Could it be that the powder is "bridging" so the threads inside the tube don't carry it down and dump it into the cup?

If that might be the case, think about where the bridge might be. You could find a small diameter rod that you can shove into the tube to break up the bridge. Or shake the heck out of the powder before you put it into the hopper so that it doesn't bridge. Or anything to prevent or reduce the bridging.

I have a standard CM and I have a little brass gizmo at the bottom end of the tube. Before the fancy brass gizmo, there was a very short section of MacDonalds straw in there. They both seem to improve the repeatability by avoiding that last little bump that drops five or ten grains of powder into the cup.
I only use h4350 in mine with no issues. I would contact place of purchase to return or replace. Sounds like a manufacturer defect.

Works fine with H4350 in my newly acquired Chargemaster Lite. Every once in a while though I get an overcharge by a tenth or two. When it trickles it'll kick out an extra stick or two near the end.

Reactions: michaelbz
My first Lite had an issue with the scale. A call to RCBS and it was in the mail, with another on its way back to me the same day. They sent me a cheque for the cost of shipping too. All in all, the new one is spot on and works great.
Sounds like a defect with the machine. Id call CS and see what they can do for you.

Works fine with H4350 in my newly acquired Chargemaster Lite. Every once in a while though I get an overcharge by a tenth or two. When it trickles it'll kick out an extra stick or two near the end.
Try changing the angle of the machine with the adjustable feet. Should be adjusted for "dead level" but I found that if you "lean" it back a tad it wont drop those extra kernels as much.

Reactions: 021411
To the OP, when it drops a charge and stops, you lift off the pan and dump that charge. When you set the pan back does it go back to "zero" and say "stable"? If it does not zero and say stable it will not start another charge it will just sit there. If this the case make sure it has been calibrated after warming up for a period. I found that I have to turn mine on a good while before getting ready to load.

Make sure the unit is level front to back, if the tube is running up hill the kernels have a harder time feeding toward the end of the tube.

Electronic scales' load modules (the thingies that measure the weight) are very sensitive to weight overloads. Take diligent care to never put anything much heavier than your heaviest powder charge (plus pan) on the weighing stage. Really overdoing it can bugger up the weighing process, which is also a part of the automated startup process. The Chargemaster is a precise and delicate instrument; it should be handled with care.

Nothing heavier than the calibration weights are ever placed on my weighing stage, and the stage cover is put in place whenever weighing is not taking place. BTW, I use the Powder Pal combination pan/funnel on mine.

Just sayin...

Greg