Cheap amazon headspace gauges: ZPV?

ColtSAA.45

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2017
Beaufort, SC
I'm looking to pick up a set of headspace gauges for a 6.5 creedmoor. I saw these ones on Amazon and they look ok. I just need them to verify headspace on a pre fit barrel. Wondering if anyone has experience with them? They say made in Serbia.

TheOfficeT-Rex

Primer Minister
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2019
    Manson lists a headspace gauge at $40 in their catalog.

Are you going to question if the ones off amazon are right, or be happier ponying up a touch more money to KNOW they are right?

Andrew863

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Apr 21, 2018
    Russellville KY
    I'm looking to pick up a set of headspace gauges for a 6.5 creedmoor. I saw these ones on Amazon and they look ok. I just need them to verify headspace on a pre fit barrel. Wondering if anyone has experience with them? They say made in Serbia.

Just spend the 40 and buy a name brand go gauge. That is all that is needed. Put a piece of scotch tape on the end to make it a no go.

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
    Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Just spend the 40 and buy a name brand go gauge. That is all that is needed. Put a piece of scotch tape on the end to make it a no go.
    👆 That is a GREAT idea ... wish I'd thought of the "Tape vs. No-Go" thing. Thanks for the cost-saving tip.

NewsShooter

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Sep 14, 2011
    Or just put tape on a piece of brass, even cheaper. First time I changed a barrel on my savage I used a piece of once fired brass and tape. Took it to my gunsmith to verify with gauges. It was just fine using tape.

Reactions: Bandit320

Gunfucius

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 6, 2022
    Arizona
    Thanks all for the advice. I'll probably pass on these since nobody has first hand experience with them.

Hey OP,

I recently acquired some 8mm Mauser headspace gauges from ZPV. The GO gauge will not close on 3 of my Mausers (2 Yugos and a German K98). I bought some Forster gauges and it properly closed with the Forster GO gauge.

Reactions: carbonbased

ColtSAA.45

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 18, 2017
    Beaufort, SC
    Hey OP,

I recently acquired some 8mm Mauser headspace gauges from ZPV. The GO gauge will not close on 3 of my Mausers (2 Yugos and a German K98). I bought some Forster gauges and it properly closed with the Forster GO gauge.

Wow good to know. I'm glad I listened to others in this thread and bought a forester go gauge. I used a snip of an aluminum can and stuck it to the back to get a go gauge. It was exactly .004 longer than the go gauge and worked well.

Reactions: Andrew863

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    It's worth noting that there are not universally accepted datum lengths for go/no-go gages.
    Entirely possible that the Europeans hold much tighter tolerances- I wouldn't write it off as "sub-standard".

Anyone that's used Euro brass (Lapua, Norma) knows they're very close to minimum chamber dimensions, while domestic/US brass is significantly undersized.

Reactions: Haney