• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheap amazon headspace gauges: ZPV?

ColtSAA.45

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2017
Beaufort, SC
I'm looking to pick up a set of headspace gauges for a 6.5 creedmoor. I saw these ones on Amazon and they look ok. I just need them to verify headspace on a pre fit barrel. Wondering if anyone has experience with them? They say made in Serbia.

Manson lists a headspace gauge at $40 in their catalog.

Are you going to question if the ones off amazon are right, or be happier ponying up a touch more money to KNOW they are right?

I'm looking to pick up a set of headspace gauges for a 6.5 creedmoor. I saw these ones on Amazon and they look ok. I just need them to verify headspace on a pre fit barrel. Wondering if anyone has experience with them? They say made in Serbia.

Just spend the 40 and buy a name brand go gauge. That is all that is needed. Put a piece of scotch tape on the end to make it a no go.

Just spend the 40 and buy a name brand go gauge. That is all that is needed. Put a piece of scotch tape on the end to make it a no go.
👆 That is a GREAT idea ... wish I'd thought of the "Tape vs. No-Go" thing. Thanks for the cost-saving tip.

Or just put tape on a piece of brass, even cheaper. First time I changed a barrel on my savage I used a piece of once fired brass and tape. Took it to my gunsmith to verify with gauges. It was just fine using tape.

Reactions: Bandit320
Thanks all for the advice. I'll probably pass on these since nobody has first hand experience with them.

Hey OP,

I recently acquired some 8mm Mauser headspace gauges from ZPV. The GO gauge will not close on 3 of my Mausers (2 Yugos and a German K98). I bought some Forster gauges and it properly closed with the Forster GO gauge.

Reactions: carbonbased
Hey OP,

I recently acquired some 8mm Mauser headspace gauges from ZPV. The GO gauge will not close on 3 of my Mausers (2 Yugos and a German K98). I bought some Forster gauges and it properly closed with the Forster GO gauge.

Wow good to know. I'm glad I listened to others in this thread and bought a forester go gauge. I used a snip of an aluminum can and stuck it to the back to get a go gauge. It was exactly .004 longer than the go gauge and worked well.

Reactions: Andrew863
It's worth noting that there are not universally accepted datum lengths for go/no-go gages.
Entirely possible that the Europeans hold much tighter tolerances- I wouldn't write it off as "sub-standard".

Anyone that's used Euro brass (Lapua, Norma) knows they're very close to minimum chamber dimensions, while domestic/US brass is significantly undersized.

Reactions: Haney
I was given a set of these in 308 as a gift and I've used them to rebarrel 2 Savage rifles. One was a Savage 110 that I installed a McGowan 26 inch varmint barrel on . No problems with it. The other was a Savage axis receiver that I installed a factory Savage scout barrel on and no problem.

I was given a set of these in 308 as a gift and I've used them to rebarrel 2 Savage rifles. One was a Savage 110 that I installed a McGowan 26 inch varmint barrel on . No problems with it. The other was a Savage axis receiver that I installed a factory Savage scout barrel on and no problem.
Signed up 6:15 Monday to make this single necro post at 6:25. Hasn't been seen since 6:30 on Monday.