• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheaper LVPO recommendations?

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2012
    Eastern, NC
    Been a little absent from these forums lately but just havent had much to post.

Long story short I'm building a 10.3" 300blk that will shoot supers and subs and intended to be used for 100yrds and in. Typically most shots will be 20-50yrds. A red dot just wont cut it, need some magnification but those closer shots the 3.5x scopes I have are not idea. I've never really been into "budget" optics so I need recommendations. Need to do deer/coyote control in an equestrian center type neighborhood and I've been told silence is top priority, so subsonic 300blk is the pick.

-Less than $400 for glass only
    -less busy reticle ( the circles with dots would be too much for my use)
    -Best glass in this price range, shots can potentially be at first and last light
    -Doesnt need to be true 1x on the bottom but anywhere from 1 to 1.5x.

Been eyeing the PA SLx 1-6 gen 4, seems to fit all my criteria but want to hear what other options people might throw out. I know a lot of budget and other companies have popped up since that I dont have a clue about.

Primary arms nova is pretty good. I have one on my Aero and it has served me well but for that price point...burris, vortex pst gen ii, or leupold.

Last edited:
    Burris RT-6 1-6x @ Camera Land NY. $279. I just looked at one these at a local gun shop and it was impressive for the $$. Large Razor like eye box and FOV. Clear glass. Horse shoe type reticle is useful even without illumination turned on.

All good suggestions. I'll make some more:

The US optics ts lvpo line is excellent for the money.

And this one may get some hate, but only from people who haven't looked through one; swampfox makes a pretty damn nice lvpo and it's cheap.

Reactions: LRshooter6mm
    All good suggestions. I'll make some more:

The US optics ts lvpo line is excellent for the money.

And this one may get some hate, but only from people who haven't looked through one; swampfox makes a pretty damn nice lvpo and it's cheap.
    Swampfox gets a lot of hate but I have yet to actually hear tangible data on why they're bad

Long story short I'm building a 10.3" 300blk that will shoot supers and subs and intended to be used for 100yrds and in. Typically most shots will be 20-50yrds. A red dot just wont cut it, need some magnification but those closer shots the 3.5x scopes I have are not idea. I've never really been into "budget" optics so I need recommendations. Need to do deer/coyote control in an equestrian center type neighborhood and I've been told silence is top priority, so subsonic 300blk is the pick.

-Best glass in this price range, shots can potentially be at first and last light

Been eyeing the PA SLx 1-6 gen 4, seems to fit all my criteria but want to hear what other options people might throw out. I know a lot of budget and other companies have popped up since that I dont have a clue about.
    Slightly over your budget with MSRP, but with it being on sale right now, you're exactly within your budget... I bought one a couple years ago for my 16” Ruger Ranch .300 BLK build, and was so impressed with it for the price, I bought a 2nd one. It actually comes with standard MIL stadia, instead of BDC that limits you. So, you can always pull it off and put it on something else later, and not have to worry about the BDC being all FUBAR trying to figure out how to make it match your drops.

IMG_6587.jpeg
    IMG_6585.jpeg
    IMG_6215.jpeg

Would a P4Xi 1-4 work for shots out to 500yds or would a PA or PST Gen2 1-6 be a better option?

In general, optical quality is more important than a little more magnification. I would go with the P4Xi, between those two choices.
    This is the definitive answer that I've been looking for. It's hard to know who loves a PST2 because they're shooting to 250 yds and for them, it's perfect. I need something that performs well over a wide range (15-500yds) and I have a good deal for a P4Xi staring at me. I think I'd prefer the Razor 1-6, but I am a poor, it's Christmas and my reason for needing it is in January. So, Steiner it is lol.

If y'all can find a P4xi for $500 help a brother out and shoot me a link.

Even with black friday deals the cheapest I could find was around $650.

I just ordered one of those geissele LPVOs at $350. I don't expect it to compete with the gen 2 razor or tango6t as originally intended, and the reticle kind of sucks, but LOW glass for $350 can't be THAT bad of a deal.

If y'all can find a P4xi for $500 help a brother out and shoot me a link.

Even with black friday deals the cheapest I could find was around $650.

I just ordered one of those geissele LPVOs at $350. I don't expect it to compete with the gen 2 razor or tango6t as originally intended, and the reticle kind of sucks, but LOW glass for $350 can't be THAT bad of a deal.
    p4xi @ camerland

Going through all of your suggestions so far I'm down to the following specifically.

PA GLX 1-6 FFP ACSS Raptor 300blk reticle
    Vortex PST 2 1-6
    Swampfox arrowhead 1-6 or 1-8 with either the mil or moa reticle.

Leaning more towards the PA or Vortex but I need to dig up more reviews and images of all 3. I like the ACSS Raptor reticle best but since its a BDC reticle it kind of limits if in the future I ever use it on something else, that is what would push me to the Vortex.

Any direct comparisons on the glass quality between the Vortex and PA GLX series? I'm going to dive in deeper but the few quick posts I've seen people say the GLX is better glass than the PST2 however the PST2 has actual daylight bright dot.

Sounds like a job perfect for a Holosun 510C with 3X magnifier $485 ish

If you do go LPVO, for 50yd shooting, I'd recommend a SFP scope. Dialing to 6-8X to get a usable reticle size and for 50yds shooting is a goat fuck.

I have one of the older primary arms 300 blackout/7.62x39 , 1x6 and it is a decent optic the chevron reticle is easy to see on 1x .easy enough for those up close and personal shot's and I have tagged a coyote at 250 yds with 110 grain hornady v-max . when I have the can on the rifle and shooting sub's I zero for 50 yds . I have been using the 190 grain sub-x as of late . I never shoot past 50-60 yards with sub's simply because I am confident I can make the shot to drop a deer at that range and have dropped one at 75 yds. I haven't seen the newer 1x6 but it should be a little better than the gen 1version I have .
    IMG_4211.jpeg

Any feedback on the Sig TANGO MSR series? looking at the 1-6 and 1-8 in particular.

my most common shot would be to 50yrds and in but there are spots where id stretch to 100 potentially.

On targets that an lpvo is intended for, absolutely. As has been mentioned its optical quality is superb which is worth a lot more than another 2X of magnification with shit glass.

I've hit 12" plates at that distance with relative ease.
    I've picked one up since asking that question. Using it in person, I now see that it was a dumb question lol.

• Haha
    Reactions: 308pirate
    Any feedback on the Sig TANGO MSR series? looking at the 1-6 and 1-8 in particular.

my most common shot would be to 50yrds and in but there are spots where id stretch to 100 potentially.

No info on the Sig Tango MSR, but I currently own both the Burris RT-6 and the Steiner Px4i. The glass on the Steiner is extremely nice for the price. Better than any sub $500 LPVO scope I've ever looked through. I bought mine lightly used with the PT3r reticle for $450 shipped. RT-6 was a little cheaper, but glass is noticeably nicer on the Px4i. The RT-6 is still very useable and I've used it out to 400yds with my LR308.

Personally I love the Px4i but I also wouldn't get rid of the RT-6. They're both useable to 500yds and I don't really notice the 2x difference. If you don't like big reticles then the circle style like the RT-6 is a little big. Hence why I got the PT3r reticle on the Px4i.

I will say also the Px4i has an insanely bright red dot and is very true to 1x.

Honestly I might call up Doug at cameraland about their P4xi. I like the G1 reticle (dont believe BDC does anyone any favors) and at 499 its a bit more than I wanted to spend but I hate shit glass and last light and first light performance is fairly important here.

Update...Steiner P4xi G1 ordered from @gr8fuldoug . Euro had it listed $40 cheaper but after taxes and shipping insurance from there Doug was still cheaper by $8....isnt much but thats lunch one day next week.

Appreciate the input everyone!

Update...Steiner P4xi G1 ordered from @gr8fuldoug . Euro had it listed $40 cheaper but after taxes and shipping insurance from there Doug was still cheaper by $8....isnt much but thats lunch one day next week.

Appreciate the input everyone!

Good decision! I have the P4xi and it has the brightest red dot, best glass, and most uncluttered reticle of any LPVO in its price range. It sits on one of my AR-15s. I have used it in competitions in the past.

Just a couple of other options not mentioned above for those interested:

1. 1x red dot as primary and offset 3x prism offset. That's my current set up on the AR-15 I use for competition and general self-defense.

2. 1x red dot as primary with 3x magnifier. I use the Vortex Razor AMG UH-1 Gen II on my home defense SBR and have a 3x magnifier for it (which I don't use indoors). The magnifier works nicely with the UH-1 reticle when needed.

All of these work nicely at <100 yards.

Reactions: Keith E.
    Good decision! I have the P4xi and it has the brightest red dot, best glass, and most uncluttered reticle of any LPVO in its price range. It sits on one of my AR-15s. I have used it in competitions in the past.
    P4Xi G1 reticle is not daylight bright. At the price point the G1 goes for, it is definitely a viable option in the $400 price class.

For what the P4Xi with P3TR reticle costs now, there are better options like the Delta Stryker.

P4Xi G1 reticle is not daylight bright. At the price point the G1 goes for, it is definitely a viable option in the $400 price class.

For what the P4Xi with P3TR reticle costs now, there are better options like the Delta Stryker.
    It's been incredibly hard to find and through scope pics of the G1 reticle. Most of what I read is that it is daylight bright though, to be fair not as bright as the red dot version, but still daylight bright. In any case with an astigmatism I seem to get less star bloom with green, not a deal breaker or selling point but just another tic to add in its favor.

It's been incredibly hard to find and through scope pics of the G1 reticle. Most of what I read is that it is daylight bright though, to be fair not as bright as the red dot version, but still daylight bright. In any case with an astigmatism I seem to get less star bloom with green, not a deal breaker or selling point but just another tic to add in its favor.
    From what I've seen it's supposed to be on the brighter side of daylight visible. But it will wash out against bright backgrounds on a sunny day. I think it's a great optic and would personally have no issues owning the G1 if I had a use for it. I almost ordered one recently myself but decided to pick up another Delta Stryker 1-6x instead.

This guy has a good review: .
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEWqVtCBAjI_yVKpXBEyhnA

He has replies in the comments and says the following of the G1 version:

"It will wash out against light colored objects in direct sun light but the etched reticle is still very much there and useable. You won't loose the reticle just the illumination. I have Nikon, Burris, Sig Sauer and Leupold LPVO's to compare against. The Steiner P4xi P3TR reticle is daytime bright with the Leupold FireDot running a close second and those are the only two that I own that I would consider daytime bright."

Personally I fall into the "daylight bright isn't always necessary" camp, even on an LPVO. Enjoy the P4Xi!

Sorry for not being more specific. I was referring to my P4Xi with the P3TR reticle, which is very much daylight bright. Opinions vary about the newer G1 reticle, and they sometimes are on sale for less.

When I purchased the P4Xi, the price was $450 and there was nothing comparable in its price range. The price for the gen II with the P3TR has increased to around $900, but it's often on sale for much less (current sales range from $685-710).

I've never owned a Delta Stryker, which costs $850, but have read good things about it.

If you're not happy with the G1, then consider the 1x RDS/offset 3x prism RDS option.

If you're not happy with the G1, then consider the 1x RDS/offset 3x prism RDS option.
    This was another option I'd been pricing combos out for. From experience the glass can get kind of dim with some combos in the first and last light. Wasn't a deal breaker but was a consideration.

I’m still rocking an SWFA 1-4. No longer a popular option, but still a solid choice.

View attachment 8287568
    The amount of times I've missed those on sale makes me laugh. Missed one on PX by minutes last summer.....loved my SWFA fixed power glass. Not having looked through one how does that reticle with the diamond work clutter wise on smaller targets?

I really like my Hawke Frontier 30. I have it on a 45-70 and have taken deer and hogs from 20-200 yards. It is very interesting to see the front sight through your scope.

The amount of times I've missed those on sale makes me laugh. Missed one on PX by minutes last summer.....loved my SWFA fixed power glass. Not having looked through one how does that reticle with the diamond work clutter wise on smaller targets?

It’s a good optic with a good reticle. Before it was on my 300 BLK it was on a 5.56. For that, the tip of the diamond was the zero at 100 yards. Much more precise than the dot which is too big for tight precision work.

I recently started zeroing this with Hornady 190gr SubX. I used the center dot at walked it out from 50 to 85 yards. Good enough for what it’s for, until I have more time.

The one thing I don’t like is the turrets and zero stop. It’s a less expensive system than others that have a better setup. Bang for buck, it’s solid and has held zero for years.

One of my favorite things about it is the 1x is damn near a true 1x allowing for red dot type usage, at close shots. I’ve seen others advertised as 1x that distorted the picture.

It’s a good optic with a good reticle. Before it was on my 300 BLK it was on a 5.56. For that, the tip of the diamond was the zero at 100 yards. Much more precise than the dot which is too big for tight precision work.

I recently started zeroing this with Hornady 190gr SubX. I used the center dot at walked it out from 50 to 85 yards. Good enough for what it’s for, until I have more time.

The one thing I don’t like is the turrets and zero stop. It’s a less expensive system than others that have a better setup. Bang for buck, it’s solid and has held zero for years.

One of my favorite things about it is the 1x is damn near a true 1x allowing for red dot type usage, at close shots. I’ve seen others advertised as 1x that distorted the picture.
    Nice. I'm looking for low power, but ability to dial and don't want to break the bank it will go an a short range deer plinker which will occasionally be used to shoot out a few hundred yards when opportunities present from time to time when I travel. Might just go with a fixed 6x too I loved my 10 and 12x.

^^^^This.

I have a SWFA 1-4 on one AR and I really like it. I like the diamond reticle, the glass is clear, and the 1x is 1x. The turrets are tight, but pass the box test just fine. Mine is 8+ years old and seen lots of use. But note that some do not like the SWFA reticle.

I had the Swampfox 1-8 and the glass was better at higher mag than the SE 1-6 I owned. I did find that the Swampfox 1x was not true to my eye and felt more like a 1.25x which I didn't have a problem with on the SE. I haven't really heard this complaint from other people though so it might just be my eyes. I've hear that the PA 1-8 SFP is extremely similiar to the SE so I'd just go with whatever's cheaper/reticle preference.