• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheaper then Dirt Boycott

Re: Cheaper then Dirt Boycott

I'm just really curious what they are doing with or going to do with, the multitude of weapons that is sitting in their warehouse. If they didn't send them back to the companies when they pulled sales. My guess is they are waiting see what comes of this potential ban. If it blows over like some predict, they will resume selling. If on the other hand, it looks like the end of semi-autos to the general public is coming they will sale them all at a ridiculous price. Any other thoughts?

was talking with a buddy on thursday, and we set upon an idea. i went to the grocery store yesterday, and bought a stamped envelope. i went into my monopoly board game, and pulled out $5 bill of monopoly money.

i wrote a letter on the pc explaining how i was disgusted with them for gouging customers in the wake of this awful event, and for selling out the second amendment regarding gun sales.

i further went on to explain that since this is how they feel about their customers and the 2nd amendment, this is the first and last dollars they'll ever see from me, ever. i went on to explain that businesses like midway would get any business cheaper than dirt might have been in the running for.

i mailed this to their customer service department. just thought it would be a great way to express what i thought their ethics and the way they do business.

-Paulus

I have never bought anything from CTD, but I can understand their dilemma. Say I am a retailer and that I need 100 AR's (or mags, or ammo, or whatever) on stock at all times to meet the needs of my customers. All of a sudden, the suppliers I buy from jack up their prices by 200%. If I sell my current inventory at the "old" lower price, I will sell them out quickly - but only have enough money to buy 50 new AR's. Pretty soon, I am out of business. Retailer have to price the current product with the replacement cost in mind. Kinda like the gas station. They don't make the gas, just resell it. Same with CTD. They manufacture little if anything of their own. They simply resell what they have ordered from others.

The real pirates are those manufacturers that double their costs overnight. They did not experience any run-up in material or labor costs, they just increased their price to the retailers.

I have a friend/gunsmith who had 20 lower/upper combos on order from a well-know mfg. a full two weeks prior to the massacre in CT. When he later called to check up on his order, he was told it had been cancelled. However, the mfg. offered to sell him 20 new lower/upper combos for more than double the original price. Unfortunately for him, he sold a good portion of his inventory at the older prices and now finds that he only has enough money from the those sales to replace about half of what he normally carries in stock.

I can understand boycotting them for bad service, terrible products, etc. But I do think we need to be certain of our target (and their guilt in price gouging) before pulling the trigger. Not wanting to disagree with anyone...just some observations from recent experiences.

It would be interesting to see how many on this thread have 'flipped' a house and made huge profits......but I guess that wouldn't be gouging since they used someone else's money to do it! Heh-heh.

Is CTD taking advantage of a situation?

YES...a panic situation fueled by the unprepared.

Do I like it?....NO....BUT.......

They aren't selling water after a natural disaster.

Whine on....

FWIW

By the way, it's "Cheaper <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Than</span></span> Dirt", not "then".

An old business mentor taught me a valuable lesson years ago.

"The price of everything is determined by what the customer is willing to pay."

If the price being asked ain't worth it to you, don't buy it. If enough others feel the same way, sooner or later CTD, ATG and others will be forced to drop prices if they want to stay in business. My sense is that prices will stay where they are as long as enough of us continue to panic and pay what they're asking. Our vendors owe us nothing and we owe them nothing. It's business, and the market is at work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boycott them for not supporting the Second, but everyone needs to understand THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PRICE GOUGING unless the government is forcibly making you buy it.
</div></div>

There is such a thing as price gouging. This is just in another context.

http://knowledgeproblem.com/2012/11/03/list-of-price-gouging-laws/

I do understand what you are saying, though. If they want to do, get at it. However, most of the time it will cause hard feelings from customers. If you are big enough and can absorb the future loss for the immediate return, more power to you. It's a choice. Maybe it's great financially in the short term.

I'll just say for me, I'm not good with it. And yes, I do understand business.

Through all of this Powder Valley has kept their prices constant and publicly stated they would do so. They get my business and i will patiently wait if they have something out of stock.

Been a loyal Powder Valley customer since they started, it's also nice that there only a 45 min drive away.

"Gouging" merely means setting price to demand. Libtards made it into the next dirty word. Screw CTD, but not for raising prices.

I managed to make the mistake of ordering from them mid December. I placed the order and the items were in stock. It went to the warehouse, and apparently was shipped. However UPS only shows a label being created and never actually shipped. Apparently the person I spoke with says she's seen packages some how leave the warehouse without being scanned.

I'm waiting until after a few days of when it "should" arrive. At least the vague promise of a refund of my money if it doesn't show up. I'm not confident I'll actually get my money back it if doesn't show.

Either way, I know remember why it's been 8+ years since I ordered from them.

I bet if CTD announced they would halt sales of these accessories immediately and simply throw them into a big bonfire instead of selling them, people would complain too. Vote with your dollars. That's a language businesses understand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azsugarbear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never bought anything from CTD, but I can understand their dilemma. Say I am a retailer and that I need 100 AR's (or mags, or ammo, or whatever) on stock at all times to meet the needs of my customers. All of a sudden, the suppliers I buy from jack up their prices by 200%. If I sell my current inventory at the "old" lower price, I will sell them out quickly - but only have enough money to buy 50 new AR's. Pretty soon, I am out of business. Retailer have to price the current product with the replacement cost in mind. Kinda like the gas station. They don't make the gas, just resell it. Same with CTD. They manufacture little if anything of their own. They simply resell what they have ordered from others.

The real pirates are those manufacturers that double their costs overnight. They did not experience any run-up in material or labor costs, they just increased their price to the retailers.

I have a friend/gunsmith who had 20 lower/upper combos on order from a well-know mfg. a full two weeks prior to the massacre in CT. When he later called to check up on his order, he was told it had been cancelled. However, the mfg. offered to sell him 20 new lower/upper combos for more than double the original price. Unfortunately for him, he sold a good portion of his inventory at the older prices and now finds that he only has enough money from the those sales to replace about half of what he normally carries in stock.

I can understand boycotting them for bad service, terrible products, etc. But I do think we need to be certain of our target (and their guilt in price gouging) before pulling the trigger. Not wanting to disagree with anyone...just some observations from recent experiences. </div></div>

Speaking from experience. I have seen since this panick buy kicked off, that not a single distributor of mine has increased prices by a dime. There for I haven't increased anything, I have 8000 Pmags that should show up in the next week or so, and they will continue to be 15.50 like I have always sold them for. So the logic that distributors and suppliers increasing their prices therefor the business increases theirs is flawed, because prices haven't been increased.

Like I have said to all of my customers and employees, we are not going to raise prices, and if we do its because our cost has been raised, so we are only raising what our cost is. This panic buy will blow over and the market will stabilize, but the people who outright got fucked will remember who fucked them and who didnt.