• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Check out my...NEW SCOPE CAPS!

Tyler Kemp

Print Daddy
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2008
MO
mkmachining.com
Hello 'Hide Crew,

After many, many requests it has finally happened. Scope Caps are live!

Few things to note:

1) I know the cap selection/layout isn't optimal right now. With all the possibilities, it has turned out to be an unsuspected pain to find a clean way to lay things out.
-I'm totally open to input from both a general and techy perspective on how to refine things. Eventually I'll likely have scope-specific sets as individual products

2) ARDs should be live next weekend, and they interface with the caps. You can run either caps, ARD, or both.

3) If you don't see the size you're after please send an email to [email protected]
-list what scope model you have, along with OD of both ends. My employees are competent, but more description is better here to prevent any confusion

4) These caps should be the best caps out there. See something you don't like? Have an idea to add? Let me know. As a first-gen product there are certainly things that will be tweaked in the future, although I have done an absolute lot of testing thusfar.

A few pics for your pleasure:

on zco front.jpg
on zco rear.jpg
on zco side.jpg
cap with ard.jpg
gray on blaaaaack.jpg
gray on etr.jpg

Sweeeeeeet! I like the locking screw as it seems mine fly off about every third time I open them

Nice.

So for the Leupold Mk 5 HD 5-25x56 I'm getting:

Obj OD 2.541"
Eyepiece OD 1.650"

If I am reading the instructions correctly, I want to go with the:

cap obj OD 2.542"
cap Eyepiece OD 1.655"

Yes?

Looking forward to buying some for my Tract. Had to send you an email about the eyepiece size as there was nothing that size or .005 bigger from what I could see.

Model - Tract Toric UHD 4.5-30x56
Objective Dia - 2.559"
Eyepiece Dia - 1.740"

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
Nice.

So for the Leupold Mk 5 HD 5-25x56 I'm getting:

Obj OD 2.541"
Eyepiece OD 1.650"

If I am reading the instructions correctly, I want to go with the:

cap obj OD 2.542"
cap Eyepiece OD 1.655"

Yes?

Your measurements and cap selections sound correct. We also both measured the MK5 to within .001", very proud of us :)

Looking forward to buying some for my Tract. Had to send you an email about the eyepiece size as there was nothing that size or .005 bigger from what I could see.

Model - Tract Toric UHD 4.5-30x56
Objective Dia - 2.56"
Eyepiece Dia - 1.743"

We will make an objective just a touch larger. In reality the 2.557 would likely work but it would really freakin' tight. If you sent an email someone should get back to you early this week!

Your measurements and cap selections sound correct. We also both measured the MK5 to within .001", very proud of us :)

ha, thanks. Not often I can get that thou to come out the same. I'll order them up when the ARDs are ready.

Any thought to make smaller ones? I have an objective that's around 1.45" would love to try your caps out since everything else of yours is awesome, before I go elsewhere.

Any thought to make smaller ones? I have an objective that's around 1.45" would love to try your caps out since everything else of yours is awesome, before I go elsewhere.
Send an email with exact measurements and then wait for the sizes to get added to the drop down menus. At least that is what I am waiting on.

@Tyler Kemp
I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just have the customer put the sizes they want in the notes?

Reactions: shoobe01
Send an email with exact measurements and then wait for the sizes to get added to the drop down menus. At least that is what I am waiting on.

@Tyler Kemp
I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just have the customer put the sizes they want in the notes?

I plan on adding a custom option early next year so a customer can get these made to their dimensions.

That will carry an upcharge though, as design time ain't cheap. As we make more sizes they will be available in the standard product menu as well.

ARDs coming soon :)

I plan on adding a custom option early next year so a customer can get these made to their dimensions.

That will carry an upcharge though, as design time ain't cheap. As we make more sizes they will be available in the standard product menu as well.

ARDs coming soon :)

How about figuring out some caps for range finders......God realm. 😎

How about telling me some rangefinders you wanna see caps for....

Well it would not be easy but I have a 2200 kilo. My next will likely be a Vortex Razor. I’d love to see spring open caps that cover the laser window and optical exit as well as the eye piece.

GET YOU SOME OF ARDeez for $50:

Also available as sets with scope caps for $100 total:

Available in black or gray. Simple press fit and one bolt tightening just like the caps.

ard iso.jpg
cap with ard.jpg
IMG_5035.jpg
62552973800__D820DF34-7A75-4D57-9AC1-676094DD8EB5.jpg

Just ordered a pair to try out. Hadn’t gotten around to replacing the set that Burris sent with the XTR3 and they always fall off anyways.

I have some tenebrex caps and ard, however I’m definitely interested if I can get some comical engravings on the caps.

One suggestion, where you're placing the tension screw on your caps, that bulge would interfere for those of us (right hand shooters) who like to have both the ocular and objective covers flip to the right side of the scope. For the ocular, the bulge would block the view of the elevation turret, and on the objective, the bulge would create clearance problems between the cap and barrel.

How thick is the housing/rim/material? I've got one scope that's reeaaalll close to a rail on an AR so I'm just wondering for clearance between scope/cap/rail.

Reactions: nikonNUT
What happened on your web site? The other day I found scope covers for a Kahles 624i with the ARD insert but know it appears to have disappeared.

I sent details on the Tract Toric ELR on the 22nd and still no details on the website to order. I'm just going to give it time. I'm sure they were influxed with sizes.

How about telling me some rangefinders you wanna see caps for....

Since you asked... How about a Grumman Mk5 LRF and a USO FOS 15-40x? I'll probably be the only one asking but I could use 'em.

Seriously though, the USO obj. is bigger than anything anyone makes and if you made one, you'd have the USO FOS and SN9 market cornered --like all ten of us.

Some folks have expressed interest in flip up covers for the PVS30 and I'd probably be interested too, however you'll have to accommodate for the damn near paper thin clearance between the obj. and the rail.

As for custom caps of obscure sizes, we will eventually be putting up a spot where you can custom order caps at an upcharge, we'll make to your spec.

As for more common sizes, they'll be up in around a week or so.

I'm dealing with 1/3 of my staff gone for holidays so we are insanely busy and not able to crank out any new things at the moment.

Reactions: loveha
Hmmmm.

A Squirrel Mafia custom edition.
Would look cool with all those goofballs and their patches and shenanigans.

Got mine in today. They are much more robust than the one’s Burris sent with my scope which isn’t a huge surprise, but these are very nice!

Ordered up a set as well as a throw lever for my lht. can’t wait to get them!

So I gotta be that guy and say that I've tried to buy your product twice now and find your customer service to be lacking to say the least.

I first responded to your reddit post where you asked for all kinds of information on my optic to 'try and make a set'. I gave you all the info you asked for and never heard back.

After a few weeks of not hearing back, I saw you advertising on another site and thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and tried to email you and order a set again. You asked for all the same information again, I responded, you said it wasn't good enough and 'encouraged', me to go out and buy a set of calibers and give you better measurements. I went out that day, bought new digital calipers, sent you all the measurements you asked for and again never heard back from you. I've never worked so hard to send someone $75.00 before. I ended up just buying the existing NF scope caps.

I'm sure I won't be making any friends with this post but I want to share my experiences. I wish you good luck with your business venture and hope others have more success than I did.

So I gotta be that guy and say that I've tried to buy your product twice now and find your customer service to be lacking to say the least.

I first responded to your reddit post where you asked for all kinds of information on my optic to 'try and make a set'. I gave you all the info you asked for and never heard back.

After a few weeks of not hearing back, I saw you advertising on another site and thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and tried to email you and order a set again. You asked for all the same information again, I responded, you said it wasn't good enough and 'encouraged', me to go out and buy a set of calibers and give you better measurements. I went out that day, bought new digital calipers, sent you all the measurements you asked for and again never heard back from you. I've never worked so hard to send someone $75.00 before. I ended up just buying the existing NF scope caps.

I'm sure I won't be making any friends with this post but I want to share my experiences. I wish you good luck with your business venture and hope others have more success than I did.

As owner of MKM, this falls under my responsibility. Also as owner of MKM, it's frustrating when my employees don't live up to my expectations in terms of communication or knowledge required.

I will say certainly calipers or better are required for the measurements needed. Fractional measurements won't cut it. I assume that is the case here.

Not sure when you messaged us, but I will say I had some very unfortunate family covid events happen within the past few weeks which kept me personally out of the office for a good amount of that time, then catastrophic weather the past week. If things were in the past three weeks, not an excuse, but too many messages such as this fell through the cracks.

Sorry you didn't get the experience you deserve. I strive for better personally and as a business.

Reactions: Zorrosdens
As owner of MKM, this falls under my responsibility. Also as owner of MKM, it's frustrating when my employees don't live up to my expectations in terms of communication or knowledge required.

I will say certainly calipers or better are required for the measurements needed. Fractional measurements won't cut it. I assume that is the case here.

Not sure when you messaged us, but I will say I had some very unfortunate family covid events happen within the past few weeks which kept me personally out of the office for a good amount of that time, then catastrophic weather the past week. If things were in the past three weeks, not an excuse, but too many messages such as this fell through the cracks.

Sorry you didn't get the experience you deserve. I strive for better personally and as a business.

Dear Mr. Kemp,

First off, I hope that your family situation is better now and that things have worked out for the better. It's a crazy time for everyone unfortunately.

Secondly, thank you for your thoughtful reply to me. I really considered if I wanted to put your company on blast but I felt you and others would want to know my experiences.

My general unhappiness is feeling that I, as the customer, had to provide significant detail to your folks for the privilege of sending you money for a product that may or may not work for me. It's just easier for me to go elsewhere for a similar product. Hell, I didn't even own calipers so it's unlikely you want someone like me sending you details on what to build! Then not to hear back after all that effort....

Anyways, it seems like things are looking up for your team and I sincerely hope you're able to provide a solid product at a reasonable price. Maybe we'll try again in the future.

If the front one would lock at 180 deg open, it could also be used to attach a dope card. Of course we need to be able to mount it in a way to open sideways, at 90 or 270 deg what ever side one prefers.

Reactions: Alpine 338