• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Chest Mount for Knife-HELP

surprise

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
I am looking for some ideas on how to mount a knife to my chest for quick access when Im out riding my mountain bike. Unfortunately have lots of potential animal problems where I ride.

I typically ride with a small backpack with hydration in it. I usually wear the chest strap. Not opposed to potentially strapping the knife to the chest strap but also looking for an option to wear when don't have the backpack on.

I have several "types" of knifes but if there is one that seems to be a great option for this application please share!

I am really looking for self defense/safety so quick deployment from either hand is important.

Do you ride with a heavy jacket or anything like that on, something the knife could be attached to?

I fought of three attacking dogs with a large folding knife during a late night run a couple years ago. Best recommendation I can give you for a chest mount is - get one that fits your carry pistol. I was fortunate that time, I doubt I would be that fortunate again. Much better to have a gun with knife backup. Dogs are pack animals, the second a dog has your knife hand in it's mouth, you have lost that fight, and if he brought friends, you may have lost your life.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I fought of three attacking dogs with a large folding knife during a late night run a couple years ago. Best recommendation I can give you for a chest mount is - get one that fits your carry pistol. I was fortunate that time, I doubt I would be that fortunate again. Much better to have a gun with knife backup. Dogs are pack animals, the second a dog has your knife hand in it's mouth, you have lost that fight, and if he brought friends, you may have lost your life.
I agree unfortunately the political climate in my location does not bode well for carrying a firearm on my chest while riding in parks!!!

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
One other thing you might consider since you are in non gun in your bike kit is a reverse fold umbrella that you customize to have a solid sturdy central shaft & a sharp shiny tip.

I have the Snubby Kit bag and there is still enough room for a full size handgun. And then some

Wear your pack every ride. Tape the knife sheath handle down on the off side (left side if right handed and right side if left handed) to the shoulder strap. Never leave home without it.

Bear spray. Works on more than bears. Hell, i hit a dog that came at my kid one night with a combination of mace, pepper, and CS self defense spray....let me tell you, that cocksucker took off and didnt stop running for two counties.

Reactions: Kamerad
Hill People Gear.

Get their Kit Bag and roll with a handgun.
Nailed it^

Thought they were gimmicky but finally got one this summer. I have thrashed that thing and the more I use it the more I like it.

Bear spray. Works on more than bears. Hell, i hit a dog that came at my kid one night with a combination of mace, pepper, and CS self defense spray....let me tell you, that cocksucker took off and didnt stop running for two counties.
LOL that is funny shit!!!!! I was thinking about mounting a can to the bike but if I get off then I am with out.

put it in a beverage holder. If you have to resort to a knife....you are pretty much screwed already. Not saying you shouldnt have a blade, but that is a last ditch measure (unless you are a batt boy....then an MRE spoon in your last ditch measure).
Seriously, even personal protection spray is better than a knife. You dont even have to hit them direct to have an effective defense. Way more importantly, the legality of it is far less risky. If you are where you cant carry a gun (and even if you are where you can) chances are high you are in twit land. And all it takes is one twit to make your life hell. We often only see the direct threat in front of us...and not the legal threat that could potentially follow.

If you need a knife to protect your self from animals than you need a gun.

I tried to stab a wounded boar with a KBar once.

My wrist hurt for a day or two and the boar was only pissed off.

670_zpsc3884dc9.jpg

Good luck with a knife and a healthy animal.

What about one of those small necklace knives? Not ideal and I have never used one bit it's better than nothing

Attachments

• 8195GI4ke-L._SL1500_.jpg
    8195GI4ke-L._SL1500_.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 17
Hide it in your skivvies, OP.

Ain't nothing else taking up room.

• Haha
Reactions: 1J04
with bikes come crashes- don't kill yourself with a knife in a fall.

Attach the sheath to the backpack shoulder strap- point up- handle down.

Or drill, tap and thread holes into the frame. attach to the downtube or seat tube- or even the underside of the top tube

1570719150936.png

1570719183305.png

One of the most reliable and effective small to very small pistols I know of is the Beretta tip up in .22 LR caliber. Use stingers.

A few others have mentioned hill people gear. I would recommend that for either knife or if possible small handgun. They also have some configurable belts that are very comfortable and might be easier to have knife stored in such a way as to not accidentally cut through sheath and stab you in a crash.

A knife large enough to tip the odds in your favor will draw far more attention than a gun.

If dogs are truly an issue consider a preemptive strike.

If you need a knife to protect your self from animals than you need a gun.

I tried to stab a wounded boar with a KBar once.

My wrist hurt for a day or two and the boar was only pissed off.

View attachment 7160957

Good luck with a knife and a healthy animal.
IIRC that picture had a good story to go with it, amigo!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Uh, don't get it, it's a bike, why not a shotgun sleeve or a goddamn katana if you're really that into knives?

When I was 12, my buddy and I would duct tape mom's old butcher knives onto tree branches (which evolved into 550 cord and shellac and splitting poles and shit). Would that work?

Sounds to me like you're riding around Velen in Witcher 3, in which case I'd just level up and use more magic.

Also don't underestimate the usefulness of a good heavy cane / stick of medium length that can do a lot of damage if needed.

Reactions: RTH1800
You guys have taken this to a another level!!!!!
Welcome to SH where asking for a chest rig for a knife for your tricycle — er... mountain bike —is going to turn into a Frat Paddling faster that you can say “hi, my name is Mahi, and I shine my Velcro sneakers while driving my snowplow.”

it will become clear to you later. In the interim, get a dirt bike and more ammo. Things will be easier that way.

oh... and welcome. Ish. For a guy here since 2010... you sure missed zeitgeist class!!!

Sirhr

Welcome to SH where asking for a chest rig for a knife for your tricycle — er... mountain bike —is going to turn into a Frat Paddling faster that you can say “hi, my name is Mahi, and I shine my Velcro sneakers while driving my snowplow.”

it will become clear to you later. In the interim, get a dirt bike and more ammo. Things will be easier that way.

oh... and welcome. Ish. For a guy here since 2010... you sure missed zeitgeist class!!!

Sirhr

Reactions: Centuriator
Lots of mountain bikers here. Most of us carry guns and knives. I have 2 of the Hill People Gear pouches and they are fantastic.

I've been in more than 1 fight with a dog and I can say you want a lot more than a hunting knife to poke at them with.

I think the bear spray is a great idea, especially if you are up against a pack. However, most any animal worth fighting is worth killing. There's a lot to be said for follow-through. You didn't say exactly what kind of pack you have... does it have molle? If so, you have lots of easy choices. Go big and go custom. But like others have said, a knife may not be so great if you have multiple pooches going after your kibbles and bits. Unless maybe you go with a short 2 handed affair like a the Cold Steel Chisa or some of the shorty viking swords. But you are usually looking at a few feet of blade hanging off of your pack.

If getting a concealed weapon permit (22 with a can would be great) is an absolute no-go...

Use a hatchet. I have the SOG tactical tomahawk, very inexpensive but violently effective. You can have molle mountable sheaths made by just about anyone who makes them for knives. Get creative.

You can send you axe to Black Bear and he will make it to your specs.

JM Custom Kydex
Tomahawk and molle mount by JAY DESIGN Cool Knives, Knives And Swords, Tomahawk Axe, Diy Knife, Battle Axe, Concealed Carry Holsters, Combat Knives, Beil, Survival Weapons
Open

Reactions: Centuriator