• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CheyTac M200 Intervention or M300 Praetorian Experience?

CleanRiversDirtRoads

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2020
Montana
Im considering purchasing the CheyTac M200 Intervention or M300 Praetorian, but haven't had any time behind one. With the less than abundance of information online, I wanted to see if anybody on here has had experience with them and would know if they live up to their reputation? Im thinking about going with the .408, but Ive never shot the .375 round, so I would appreciate some opinions if you have them. Thanks!

Hi,

What are you wanting to know about the M200?

Back during its' first release it was a nice product that fell victim to Horrible Horrible Horrible (I cannot say that enough) business execution.
It is unique in that the horrible business practices and reputation actually passed from owner to owner to owner. That typically does not happen, lol.

Even the current company ownership is all over facebook talking about suing anyone who uses the word 375Cheytac or 408Cheytac on a rifle build even though by ATF law the firearm must be engraved with the cartridge nomenclature and that nomenclature in listed on the reamers.

Fast forward to today....There are better executed products on the market than the M200.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

What are you wanting to know about the M200?

Back during its' first release it was a nice product that fell victim to Horrible Horrible Horrible (I cannot say that enough) business execution.
It is unique in that the horrible business practices and reputation actually passed from owner to owner to owner. That typically does not happen, lol.

Even the current company ownership is all over facebook talking about suing anyone who uses the word 375Cheytac or 408Cheytac on a rifle build even though by ATF law the firearm must be engraved with the cartridge nomenclature and that nomenclature in listed on the reamers.

Fast forward to today....There are better executed products on the market than the M200.

Sincerely,
Theis
D5BDB774-2777-4AF3-B1EC-B9103F43C0E1.gif

I owned the EDM-408 (M200) for a very long time before it left my hands. EDM made the first M200’s except for the hand guard and bipod systems that were on then M200. It was an interesting rifle and I originally bought it because of the lore around the cartridge and rifle.

Mine was special ordered from EDM with a heavier barrel than the factory offering. I also installed an elite iron floating hand guard and bipod. It was a major improvement over the m60 bipod that EDM made and offered. Bill Richie was the owner of EDM and he was adamantly against the float tube and bipod.

Shorting was an interesting affair, it was quite fun and at the range I shot at, it was an attention getter. Now that Bill Richie has passed I no longer own that rifle as I was left wondering about support, but that is the same with just about any passed rifle. Mine was a 408 and I really wanted a new barrel in .375, and. When Bill passed there was no way to get a new barrel made.

Honestly the m200 and EDM-408 are obsolete by modern standards. Lighter and just as capable rifles exist and a somewhat more affordable price.

If I were to do it again I would have Vestals custom rifles build my rifle on a repeater of some kind, with a faster twist barrel to use the newer solids.

But the heavier solids are hard to load a mag length to use a repeater magazine.

Now that the Cadex shadow comes in a after twist barrel (1-8 is available, if I went correctly), you can use heavier .375 bullets to reach out there. Just know you will be needing a reloading setup to really use the rifle and to keep costs down. Still reloading is not going to be cheap!

A cheaper option is a HTI with a custom barrel from ES tactical.

I owned the EDM-408 (M200) for a very long time before it left my hands. EDM made the first M200’s except for the hand guard and bipod systems that were on then M200. It was an interesting rifle and I originally bought it because of the lore around the cartridge and rifle.

Mine was special ordered from EDM with a heavier barrel than the factory offering. I also installed an elite iron floating hand guard and bipod. It was a major improvement over the m60 bipod that EDM made and offered. Bill Richie was the owner of EDM and he was adamantly against the float tube and bipod.

Shorting was an interesting affair, it was quite fun and at the range I shot at, it was an attention getter. Now that Bill Richie has passed I no longer own that rifle as I was left wondering about support, but that is the same with just about any passed rifle. Mine was a 408 and I really wanted a new barrel in .375, and. When Bill passed there was no way to get a new barrel made.

Honestly the m200 and EDM-408 are obsolete by modern standards. Lighter and just as capable rifles exist and a somewhat more affordable price.

If I were to do it again I would have Vestals custom rifles build my rifle on a repeater of some kind, with a faster twist barrel to use the newer solids.

But the heavier solids are hard to load a mag length to use a repeater magazine.

Now that the Cadex shadow comes in a after twist barrel (1-8 is available, if I went correctly), you can use heavier .375 bullets to reach out there. Just know you will be needing a reloading setup to really use the rifle and to keep costs down. Still reloading is not going to be cheap!

A cheaper option is a HTI with a custom barrel from ES tactical.
Thank you for your response! I will definitely keep that in mind!