• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choate Ultimate Rifle Stock Series

Dsparil

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2006
Albrightsville, PA
these appear to be very sturdy yet very heavy stocks available at a very VERY cheap price. Is there really any cons to these stocks other than weight? What makes them avoidable?

oh and can this sucker be inletted for the badger ordnance DBM?

Re: Choate Ultimate Rifle Stock Series

the biggest thing when I tried them was they seem cheap. the mold lines were VERY apparent, it outgassed and smelled like a petroleum product, had to leave it in the garage for a few weeks.

Just not a nice finished product. Makes u wonder about quality aspects of it as well, i.e how straight it is, etc. I'd never buy one again. I bought it for a beater project gun.

I see you are in Houston, so am I. Well, I have a Savage with a Choate as well.

I have both the folding and the Ultimate. It is a real attention getter. My rifle with it shoots .25 to 0.6 MOA depending on load and proper rest.

My gripe is the bottom of the stock isn't quite like a regular one so getting a rear rest of the right height required some experimenting. Another gripe is the fit of the folding sniper requires some stock removal with a file to get the action into the stock.

After a bit of elbow grease, the stock works well and looks very attractive with my Caldwell The Rock BR shooting rest and green Dog Gone Good bag. Chicks love how color coordinated my setup is...LOL.

I don't think it would work with the DBM. It is for internal magazine rifles.

If you are at American Shooting Centers next week, I'll be there shooting my Choate Ultimate Sniper rifle so you can swing by and take a look and even fire off a few shots.

Still, I think the Varmint version of the stock will help you shoot better groups.

I have the ultimate on my Sav 12 that's a switchbarrel in 204 Ruger (factory tube) and a 6mm-223 (shilen 1:8, chambered by me).

Both shoot very sub MOA, the 20cal will sit in the 1/4" at 100y regularly with "wallet groups" in the .15's

The 6-223 shoots ~.2's-.24's, but I've only put 200 rounds on paper so far so it's still a young barrel.

Anyway, the stock is the Ultimate, it's heavy, very stiff and for these little rounds it helps with a very steady platform for shooting. It's inexpensive, it mounts with V blocks in the action, it has mold lines and sharp edges, and it needed to be lightly touched with sand paper to get all the uncomfortableness off it, but I'm pretty pleased with both how it shoots and how it feels once I fiddled with it for about 2 hours.

The V-Block aluminum bedding block that Choate uses is excellent and I've found that the stocks function well. They certainly are cost effective. If all you have is $175 and you need as tock it'll serve you well.

But they are a bit like riding a moped or ahem.."knowing" a biiiig woman, plenty of fun but you don't want your friends to see you doing it.

How about there new tactical stock. Anybody have one or used one?

I have three of these stocks; one sniper on a 22-250, one varmint on 308, and varmint on 223. I like them since I got them for about $110 each on a few forums. I had to work a little to get the fit I wanted but nothing to much. I really like the varmint stock a lot better than I do the sniper stock. It just feels better and I plan on buying at least one more varmint when I find a good deal on one.

i have the new tactical stock and i like it very much. i cant stand when people say "good for the money". something is good or its not! this is a GREAT stock. if you have penis envy and fulfill your manhood by spending more money than your buddy, look elsewhere. but this stock will do exactly what you need it to and is as durable as hell. i really like the feel and function and i for one dont think there is anything cheap about the stock. it is heavy so dont try to build a lightweight around it. i also use the varmint stock. it is a truly excellent stock for a stationary varmint rifle. i have been building most of my rifles lately around mcmillan stocks but i seriously like the new tactical choat and will probably use them more and more. people who complain about having to sand a little here and there have never pillar bedded a mcmillan and did it right. there is much more work that goes into a mcmillan than the choate. look your mcmillans over and tell me there is not a mold line in them. i guess i like simple and rugged and the choate has that in spades. skim bed it and shoot the shit out of it. put all of that penis envy money in glass. oh, the factory BDL bottom metal fit perfectly in the stock and i dont see why certain DBM systems would not work and long as they use the same basic inlet.

chuck

the varmint and ultimate stocks are ADL. you will have to start with the tactical stock or do lots of machining.

chuck

Hitechtactical,

If given the choice, would you choose this over say a B&C Tactical Light Medalist?

Apache, if your question is open, IMO the B&C is better than the Ultimate varmint or the Ultimate sniper. However, the new Choate tactical is the clear winner over all the stocks in question. It has nearly every feature wanted without all the things that made me sell my US and UV stocks. It is much stiffer than a B&C and (again IMO) a better fit ergonomically.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apache, if your question is open, IMO the B&C is better than the Ultimate varmint or the Ultimate sniper. However, the new Choate tactical is the clear winner over all the stocks in question. It has nearly every feature wanted without all the things that made me sell my US and UV stocks. It is much stiffer than a B&C and (again IMO) a better fit ergonomically.
</div></div>
+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is much stiffer than a B&C and (again IMO) a better fit ergonomically. </div></div>

I won't argue the ergo portion of your statement, since that is totally subjective. However I would like to know what B&C stock you are comparing the stiffness to. I have the Light Tactical with the full length Al bedding block in it. Unless you are parking trucks on them I don't see you getting a lot of flex out of it. I have shot quite a few movers while loading a bipod on grass (pretty much the worst thing you can do to a stock) and not had any flex issues. If the Choate is truly stiffer than the current B&C tactical stocks, I definitely need to take a look at one.

I was agreeing to the ergonomics of the stock and looks (which is my opinion) not the stiffness. I think both are equally as stiff.

LW. I guess I should rescind the "much" portion of that statement. I haven't done any scientific testing regarding the stiffness between the two: the B&C vertical grip tactical stock with Al block vs. the Choate tactical. To me, the Choate stock seems stiffer in the front end. When I ran the BC stocks I could have the rifle on the bipod and twist the grip and see the flex in the forend. With the choate I can't. It might just be that there is so much room around the barrel that it is unnoticeable with the Choate. Possibly if the BC had a bigger barrel channel it would also be unnoticeable. What it boils done to is, if "I" had to choose, I'd choose the new Choate. The only negatives I encountered were the need for a longer action screw, which I had on hand so no big deal. The second negative was the fact that you spend a fortune on bedding compound to fill the huge gap in front of the recoil lug, if you choose to bed that area, which I do.

Edit to add: They cannot be equally stiff. They are made of different materials and thus one will be stiffer. The Choate looks like it's made of the same material as the original UV and US stocks, a heavy and dense plastic, which guys will tell you were very stiff and very heavy compared to say a B&C stock.

Additional info: I bought this stock for a 223 for my wife. While waiting for the scratch to buy this stock, I put her barreled action in a McMillan A5 (to be used for my upcoming 223AI) and it shot the same in this stock as it did in the A5. It did improve with bedding it even with the Alumionum V-block. For a good low cost build, I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Just because something is heavier than something else does not mean that it is more rigid, even if they are the same dimensions. Take a look at why carbon fiber is in such high demand in some industries. I've shot lots of stocks, and have a B&C Medalist on one of my rifles, and it doesn't flex or move at all on the bipod. We're talking about a rifle that is NOT light, and even has an Anschultz free rail installed in the stock. The aluminum bedding block runs right up to beside the second sling stud, I know because I was there when my buddy milled it the stock. I think that you're talking about some of the other B&C line, and probably not the medalist line.

I personally wouldn't take one of the new Choate stocks over a Bell & Carlson medalist but that's just me. Apparently then work for some people and there's lots of people that like them, but I still don't find them comparable to a B&C Medalist. The ultimate sniper stock doesn't have a bedding block that runs the full length of the stock, and I assure this stuff
Uploaded_633832098148603750_File.JPG

Is not going to be more rigid than the B&C full length aluminum block and the carbon fiber they use. People can pretend all they like, but it's not. Now their new stock has a full length aluminum bedding block, so it might be comparabe, but the ultimate sniper is not. I still thought the finish on the new choate wasn't as clean looking as the B&C, but that's my opinion. I would personally spend $200-225 and go with the Bell & Carlson Medalist. Maybe it's good for the money, or better than some of the stocks that come on some rifles, but I still don't think it compares to a B&C Medalist.

I've got one I'd sell you cheap. 700 RH LA. In Houston. Let me know if you want more info.
CW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apache, if your question is open, IMO the B&C is better than the Ultimate varmint or the Ultimate sniper. However, the new Choate tactical is the clear winner over all the stocks in question. It has nearly every feature wanted without all the things that made me sell my US and UV stocks. It is much stiffer than a B&C and (again IMO) a better fit ergonomically. </div></div>

Yes it was definitely an open question, and it was actually meant towards the new Choate Tactical Stock not the URS.

Thanks for opening it up to others' opinions as they are also very helpful. I think I will definitely be going with one of these on my budget rifle in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat088</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think that you're talking about some of the other B&C line, and probably not the medalist line.
Is not going to be more rigid than the B&C full length aluminum block and the carbon fiber they use. People can pretend all they like, but it's not. Now their new stock has a full length aluminum bedding block, so it might be comparable, but the ultimate sniper is not. I still thought the finish on the new choate wasn't as clean looking as the B&C, but that's my opinion. I would personally spend $200-225 and go with the Bell & Carlson Medalist. Maybe it's good for the money, or better than some of the stocks that come on some rifles, but I still don't think it compares to a B&C Medalist.</div></div>

I am talking about the medalist line. There is no need to pretend anything. The new choate stock has aluminum the full length. The UV and US stocks suck by comparison to either of these. I don't know which is stiffer. I was saying the Choate seems to be stiffer. But like I said, I have no evidence to back that up. I have at least owned both and was just giving my thoughts and opinion on the subject. And I do think that it compares to the medalist line. The Choate fits me better and coincidentally fits my wife better since it has removable spacers at the rear, win/win.

Choatestock.jpg

The only thing I can think of that would make the medalist line stronger is if the aluminum went down the grip and into the rear as the Choate aluminum block stops at the grip. Do the BC stocks do this?

Yes the finish of the BC stocks are nicer. The Choate looks like...well plastic.

Fair enough, and I'm glad you actually clarified on which line of the choate stocks. I've just heard quite a few people claim the ultimate sniper stocks were on par with B&C medalist stock, and I don't think they're as rigid. I can see how the new choates are probably right there almost identical ridigness at the B&C. Probably a subjective thing as you said unless someone wanted to run some scientific tests on it. Naw, I think they're about the same stiffness, when comparing the new choate, to the B&C medalist. The aluminum bedding block does NOT run down into the grip, the aluminum blocks look dang near the same. I'm also not a fan of where the rear sling mount is at, but that's just me.

I agree on the sling mount. I put a stock pack on it for her delicate face and it covers the sling attachment point completely. Of course, it dosent see a sling for her anyway. She just shoots at range with me. I still think it beats the BC for ergonimics but like you and others have said, that is very subjective. I hate the AICS but guys sure like 'em. It's good to have options.